Killer Moth thread

Killer Moth thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gqJ-c_ymKUE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>he used to be peers with A-lister villains during the Silver Age
What went wrong? How did a literal clown make the cut into the next "serious" generation of capeshit comics while the first Anti-Batman didn't?

Save him from that deviant Batgirl!

Im actually working on a Killer Moth cosplay. Buying nerf guns because the "zombie strike" line fits the green and orange almost perfectly. Pic related, the helmet.

Same thing that happened with Scorpion, the original anti villain became a joke because he never evolved past just that. Which is a damn shame because I think you could tweak Killer Moth to be a neat villain, and way better than Wrath.

Isn't he mostly gimmick-based? Shifting from devices and wacky tools towards more character-focused drama would explain why an anti-Batman got looked over, since he's defined by what he isn't.

> Stan Winston will never bring Charaxes to life with practical effects in a dead serious Gothic Batman film...

I wonder what Spectacular Gargan would have been like if we got Season 3.

Charaxes was pretty goddamn stupid. Reminds me of how Black Manta became a literal manta-man too.

I don't think he's really a joke at all though. Not anymore than any of the other villains anyway. He just didn't get the reboot every other major spidey villain got with Gauntlet. Which was the point: to make the classic villains legit threats again.

No he was menacing & badass as fuck, Manta was stupid tho I will agree.

I find it ironic that if Max Landis had debuted with his Killer Moth mini instead of that Superman/Joker story, Sup Forums wouldn't stop singing his praises.

The nigga needs a redesign before anything, make him darker, and more like Batman himself. Swap out the striped leggings for dark purple pants, highlight the utility belt more. maybe give him a brownish orange bomber jacket to keep the furry collar, and have him wear a wing harness over that. He'd have a purple shirt underneath the jacket. The mask only really needs two changes: make the antenna shorter and make the eyes more vibrant. Have them glow bright red, Terminator style. Character wise, he needs to be more competent in general. Maybe have a story with him building his own Batfamily or something. I think Batgirl's crush could be played for laughs pretty well. The potential for a dark mirror style villain for Batman is pretty great, and DC has a fixer upper for it right in front of them.

At least Babs thinks he's cool

>Oh, here's a good one. First real supervillain I ever fought? I had a crush on him. Killer Moth. He had this amazing deep voice, like he was the principal and you'd been bad.

Batgirl Year One was surprisingly better than Robin Year One. Shame Whedon most likely won't base his Batgirl movie around it, it's a pretty fucking solid blueprint for a feature film.

Holy shit, that's awesome! Did you make that yourself?

>isn't he more gimmick-based?
Batman's evaluation pegs him more as a Batroc the leaper kind of guy.

I genuinely wonder if Whedon could pull this off.
I want to believe that he could.

I think Killer Moth would be cool if he were terrifying. Like, if they gave him a gas mask that gave him a raspy wheeze, a drab brown and gray outfit, and a cocoon gun that not only encapsulates his victims, but also dissolves them. Also, give him tanks of hallucinogenic gas that disorient and confuse his foes, leading them to see a bizarre, colorful version of the suit more close to the original.

I like how he's described

He fell on hard time. His popular buddies were embarrassed and pretended they didn't know him.

Dude I was obviously talking about scorpion.

And yes for fucks sake we all know babs had a crush on him. Does this need to be brought up every fucking thread.

Writers turn him into a joke because otherwise Batman wouldn't be the most special.
Which is the entire point of Killer Moth Imo, the idea that some random two-bit hood is Batman's equal and totally robs Batman of his supernatural mystique.

>if Max Landis had debuted with his Killer Moth mini

What?

Read that as coconut gun...

Or Scarebeast, remember that shit?

Yeah, turning non-monstrous Batman villains into monsters is dildos.

This sounds awful

How do you imagine Killer Moth sounding?

I think of him as being voiced by H. Jon Benjamin.

When comics started getting edgier with more gritty serious villain updates and costumes in the late 70's and 80's, Killer Moth was left out.

Then no one knew what the fuck to do with him so they made him a giant moth mutant.

This does not seem like any kind of an improvement

His look was really stupid even for the silver age.

And for some reason no one wants to update the costume today either

He has been redesigned a few times before.

Every time someone fixes him the next writer wants him to look silver age again.

it's the pants that really do it, if he had purple pants instead of striped green then he would look a lot less stupid

so....new 52 Killer Moth?

I liked this one

Neat

I'd buy it.

Gargan was played as a legit threat for years until Marvel randomly decided he wasn't for some reason. Peter pretty much only won through wits for decades. Hell, Mac almost killed Captain America too at one point.

Then Millar amped it up and decided that Gargan was never a threat for some reason, then Slott retconned Scorpion's strength so Spock could one punch his jaw off.

The problem isn't his costume or the perception he was somehow a lighter and softer villain, no Killer moth became a joke for the simple fact he got beat up Batgirl on her first outing.

I think his stupid costume is part of the character's charm.

What is Charaxes exactly?

Is he Mothy transformed into a mutant to make him more "relevant" and threatening, an experiment created by Moth? Or something entirely unrelated to him?

>Every thread
You act like Sup Forums has a lot if Killer Moth threads.

>Is he Mothy transformed into a mutant to make him more "relevant" and threatening,
Yeah, a demonic deal with Neron during the 90s which was part of a larger attempt to "upgrade" old villains.

>Killer Moth will never tease Batgirl by speaking in innuendos and sounding extra deep and erotic for her
>Killer Moth will never talk Batgirl down after she confesses her love for him saying that he's too old for her and it will never work out anyways cause he's (trying to be) evil
>Batgirl will never praise Killer Moth when he actually comes up with an evil plan and comes off as threatening, making him feel shy and awkward as a result
>Batgirl and Killer Moth's relationship will never evolve into a "hero and villain that know each other personally and are actually friends in secret" kind of relationship

It's not fair. If Mothy is fated to be a failure and an outcast, the least they can do is make him a funny or interesting character with a personality.

youtu.be/gqJ-c_ymKUE

We should.

See, Killer Moth actually sounds like a competent villain when you break him down like this. They even say he's an accomplished martial artist. When is someone gonna come in and make him the Anti-Batman he was always meant to be?

I like that his antenna actually has a purpose too.

I actually like this design quite a bit. You can still tell it's Killer Moth while not thinking he's some weak fairy like most people think of him. But I have to admit, I really do have a soft spot for the cheesy, silver age costume.

And seeing as he is the "Anti-Batman" it would make sense if he had a colorful costume to counteract Batman's dark and bleak appearance.

I fear that if anyone tries to make Killer Moth into a legitimate threat that a lot of Killer moth "fans" will come crawling out of the woodworks saying you missing the point of Killer Moth.

Whedon is a hack but I can actually see him doing this since he loves the hero and antagonist having a complicated relationship and ending up as friends thing.

But yeah I like the idea of Moth being kind of like Bab's Captain Cold.

Oh god I can actually see that happening. People coming out saying that Moth was "always supposed to be a joke" without knowing his true history in being an anti-batman who used to be on the same pedestal as Joker and other S-list rogues.

If they were going to give Moth a reason for being an anti-Batman in order to flesh him out, I can see him having parents who were mobsters and worked for Falcone or something but were gunned down by police. He then used the mob money to become a vigilante that fights the police and helps criminals.

Not him but I imagine him having the voice of Ron Perlman.

but it would be funny if he had a voice changer and his real voice was that of Richard Horvits or Rob Paulson

I like Killer Moth's original reasoning.
>can't be that Hard to be A Batman
>I bet I can do that but for criminals instead

Jon Hamm.

>Batman lists Killer Moth in high regard, and considers him "highly dangerous"

Awesome. Also, a 6'2 210 pound martial artist is fucking scary, even in a moth costume.

Yeah. The antennae and feelers, I guess(?) are actually all seperate pieces.

a good reason to explain why Killer moth is seen as so non-threatening despite being Batman's physical equal is that he too nice. He can beat you senseless, he just doesn't see any reason to.

Oh god why do I ship this now? Why do I want a series where Babs tries to rehabilitate Moth while he acts like The Monarch?

I can picture Killer Moth being kind of like Red Death from Venture Bros. Where he's a criminal with a home life and a wife that loves him.

Only the exact opposite where he's not that successful as a villain, mostly because he's too lighthearted but his wife and kids still loves him for who he is.

But the minute you threaten his family, he makes even Joker look nonthreatening in comparison.

A kot of this is true for the teen titan animated killer moth.

I forgot about that version, He probably has the best costume. It's threatening, but still fluffy like an actual moth.

Landis wants to write a Killer Moth miniseries.

>costume
A-user

Sadly accurate

>best costume
>costume
user

It could still work as a costume

If DC can make Mr Frieze, Clock King, Calendar Man and even fucking Elmer Fudd a formidable enemy to Bats, I don't see how they can't do the same for Killer Moth. It's just that they don't give enough of a shit to do so.

HOLY SHIT!

Thats tight!!

That face looks mischievous and lewd.

Killer Moth himself would be proud.

I love that "H.R. Geiger's 'The Rocketeer'" line.

Did Barbra had a thing for deep voice, custume wearing , quite build older male ?

With all the moth weapons and tools and tools, and martial artist skill why is moth still act and treat like a joke by people in Gotham ?

Does moth has a Robin like side kick ?
Like Caterpillar or larva boy

Years of being neglected and being treated like a joke by comic book writers.

Remember, there was a time where Killer Moth was on the same level as Joker, Penguin and the other big names in Batman's rogue gallery. But the reason why Joker and others become big names and Moth didn't is because they were interesting characters outside of their motifs and gimmicks. Killer Moth had a cool gimmick being an Anti-batman that helped criminals and fought the police but he wasn't really explored outside of that. He didn't have an interesting motive or personality, in fact the whole reason why he become Killer Moth was because he thought he could be a better Batman then Batman but on the opposite end of the moral spectrum, which really isn't that interesting.

Mothy has a ton of untapped potential and it's high time we got to see that potential and have him rise to at least a solid B-list baddie.

No but he really should. Just to complete the whole Anti-Batman thing.

Maybe it can be some random schlub he kidnapped and forced to be his sidekick and is used to be more of a human shield then an actual partner.

But in terms of an actual Robin-like sidekick that's willingly working for Moth. Maybe a friend of Barbara that Mothy is paying to be his sidekick "Moth Girl" since he's been reworked to be a Batgirl enemy and all.

It'd be funny to see the interaction between Babs and Mothy in that kind of situation, especially if their relationship is more like

Looks familiar

The best way to refresh moth and made him less comical yet still dangerous is to mix his story and motivated with wrath

>"Moth Girl"
Nah, Tiger Moth.

People thought he was silly. Which is stupid because Killer Moth is a fucking Batman hunter.

>some random schlub he kidnapped and forced to be his sidekick and is used to be more of a human shield then an actual partner.

So it will be similar relationship like Wrath and his Robin ?
Where Moth girls and Larva boys thought that moth love them like a mentor and father figure but the reality is opposite or
not as light hearted as they thought

Killer Moth's schtick of being the criminal's Batman really puts him opposed to the justice system itself, making him more Commissioner Gordon's villain than Batman. Could also be an aces Manhunter rogue.

Maybe not a top-tier direct threat but knowing that Killer Moth is involved should make everyone's day worse. Killer Moth is the boogeyman to every detective and prosecutor trying to make a case, in the way Batman is to criminals.

Just some interesting thought.
Since moth is a" Anti-Batman "
What do you guys think the possible " moth family" can be like ? The writers can create a lot of interesting story about Moth's equivalent of Robins , Batgirls , and Alfred and their background and personalities be like

Same thing happened to Cavalier. He, like Moth was introduced to be one of Batman's greatest threats. Ironic that he and Killer Moth started to team up on multiple occasions after they started to decline in relevance.

I guess washed-up supervillains have to stick together.

I always wished Cavalier and Moth got a team up episode on Brave and the Bold. But we did get a bunch of Cavalier so I'm fine mostly.

There is an old Martian Manhunter villain Monty Moran, The Getaway King. I think it would be interesting if he ended up being Moth's Alfred stand-in. Help Moth build his gear and what not.

Maybe they were friends in jail together, Monty being an old-timer. They broke out together and Walker recruited Monty into his Moth scheme.

How's this.

>Larvae
The Anti-Robin and Killer Moth's ward, originally a homeless boy who needed to steal and commit crimes to survive, he and his sister were "saved" by Killer Moth after being caught by police and was trained by him. He sees Moth as the father he never had.

>Moth Girl
The Anti-Batgirl. The older sister to Larvae who grew up homeless and needed to steal and kill to survive. She and Larvae were "rescued" by Moth after being caught by police and was taken under his wing (literally). Her street smarts mixed with Moth's training makes her a great threat and Moth's greatest pupil.

>Hawk Moth
The anti-Nightwing. Moth's biological son who he has raised to become the ultimate police fighting machine. Trained by multiple hitmen, assassins and even Moth himself. Moth has used his mob money to give Hawk Moth the education and training he needed to become his ward.

>Death Head
The Anti-Red Hood. A mercenary that Moth is paying good money to work for him. He's armed with a plethora of poison and acid themed weapons including two automatic pistols loaded with acidic rounds

>Kevin Styx
The Anit-Alfred. An accomplished mobster who used to work for Faclone and knew Moth's parents very closely (basically a reverse of Batman's origin where his parents were mobsters killed by police). He now works as Moth's resources guy, arming him with money, technology and anything else he needs to make the world safer for criminals everywhere.

Horrible. Please never write comics.

I like it

In retrospect. I was thinking of dropping Hawk Moth. I don't really see Moth having kids and Death Head feels a tad thrown on. Having an anti-robin, batgirl and alfred is more then enough.