Post a page about breaking the fourth wall better than this one

Post a page about breaking the fourth wall better than this one.

Protip: You can't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j6mzBjFtcBc
oneoverzero.keenspace.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like Gwenpool a lot though

The main character of The Unwritten realizing that he might only exist due to the collective power of people believing he exists

let's not pretend anything has topped this, before or since

Is this just waifu bait or actually good?

the other page where you see the robot superman move through the panels is better

it's decent enough

but only when Gurihiru is on art so there is a waifu bait element factoring in

Was just about to post this. That, the Ultraman in the gutters scene and the final issue with Grant are the best examples I can think of.

I decided to read it yesterday and it's surprisingly good.

>it's a Grant Morrison episode

quite honestly one of the most overrated things in the comicbook world.

I've read this whole set over and over and over and I've not figured out why this is so lauded.

>the final issue with Grant
Man that issue hits hard nowadays. My dog died this year after fighting against a bone disease for some time and all I could think of while nursing him before his death were Morrison's words about his cat "Part of me thought that if she died it'd be good material for Animal Man, make it more poignant".

As a small time novelist in my country I hoped it wouldn't be like that but just knowing that thought existed in me hit me hard.

Coyote Gospel is the pinnacle so if that issue did nothing for you then it's just different strokes

It doesn't help that the non-Gurihiru artists are fucking terrible, though.

does she ever make a reference that she knows she in a comic again after this run?

I honestly prefer this moment

unfunnies is hot garbage

the build-up is second to none. It's not super-obvious if you don't know it's there (unlike every other example thus posted), but throughout the comic up to that point, there are repeated panels of a character looking out at the reader with a shocked expression. It puts this little niggling thought in the back of your mind that they're looking at YOU, not at some unseen shocking thing off-panel. And it builds and builds until the final payoff of Buddy looking right at you, and saying he can see YOU, the reader. It's a comic character directly interacting with the reader, not just a bit of a joke-y "ha ha I know I'm in a comic book" thing.

honestly, you're a bit of a bitch.

no really, you are. you think that matters to your dog? so write about it, it doesn't matter one way or the other to the dog, or your readers. I'm sure you've taken care of your dog well and given it a good life, you have nothing at all to feel sorry for yourself for, nor do you have a reason to be sad after its gone.

just get another pet, it will not be the same animal, with the same behaviors, but you will love it all the same, and will give it a better life than it would've likely had on the street.

I've had many pets over the years, and I've two cats now, one about two years old and one almost a year old and my current dog is about twelve years old.

she's healthy as a three year old, but I've no delusions about her age, I know I'm near the time that I'm going to have to let her go, but while I'm not looking forward to it, I also know at this point that I'm not going to regret it. She's been a good pet and I love her.

Not a page, but...

youtube.com/watch?v=j6mzBjFtcBc

>not just a bit of a joke-y "ha ha I know I'm in a comic book" thing.

but it's obvious from the very start, it's not subtle, it's not subversive, it's not even clever.

it's a stupid gimmick from a shit writer who people think is quite clever because he has an idea that people with zero literary background find absolutely mindblowing.

not everything has to be new to be well done, you're overreacting like a lot

I saw a really clever one once in high school but can't find it/remember enough of it to find it now.

But it started with two characters as usual, then one of them realizes they're in a comic, and it turns into a huge existential crisis kinda thing until they realize they have full motion and control over their strips.

But sadly i don't know what the comic was of, who did it,or even the style it was in i just have a vague memory of it.

But i've seen tons done better than OP's so OP is just a little obsessed with his waifu

Not even the best 4th wall in Multiversity

I dunno I like this one most

But it's NOT EVEN WELL DONE, when it is claimed to be the most well done thing in the history of comics breaking the fourth wall.

You see where the problem here is, right?

It is quite literally overrated and given and afforded every excuse for its problems and stupidity.

Dorris McComics has a lot of these. Basically the whole comic is about playing around with the format. I absolutely love it, though I'm not a fan of the author's other comic "webcomic name".

it's pretty well done

maybe you just have bad taste

How is it not well done? Your only complaint seems to be that you saw it coming.

This is the one that immediately came to mind from OP's question. Seeing him stare at me all freaked out like that managed to make me feel a bit uncomfortable in response too, like I'm some kind of peeping tom who keeps spying on his life and I've just been caught in the act.
It's not as effective as a single page though, I think it needs its context more than for example pages like these do

Where this is torn apart is he's visible in a 2D format, so his whole "hurr, I see you and am above you" falls flat on its face, because he's still just in a comicbook.

I'm sorry I don't find the literary equivalent of human feces as appealing as you shiteaters.

it's ~*meta*~ since he's not actually talking to the reader

and I see we've progressed to the "comics are literary garbage" stage

and that's the only thing it stands on.

When you're on a unicycle you need your only wheel to work.

Now you're just being needlessly rude

I don't really understand your perspective. It's basically the entire journey of the character through the run. Why do you feel like the surprise is necessary?

And he's not alive you're just reading words on a fucking page.

It's a stupid gimmick that never works on its own merit, so making a story that only revolves around it makes everything about the story itself a stupid fucking gimmick

Am I the only one weirded out by seeing him with hair?

>he's not alive
says you

because it's laughably bad writing.

the dialogue, the story, the whole slow buildup of the boundaries being broken, it's all fucking nonesense and uninteresting bulljizzle.

are you sure you didn't mean to click on /lit/ and wandered into Sup Forums by mistake

This is my favorite "is it a reference" to 4th wall.

Well I guess I understand you now but I don't see how you saw that in the run. It's not like poetry or anything but it's still very competently written to me. I don't agree with your take I guess.

jesus fucking christ, Sup Forums, you used to have standards.

where is that fucking high-bar you used to have circa 2007?

Sounds to me like 1/0, which I loved when I read it years ago. The main distinction from what you wrote is that the characters always knew they were in a comic, aside from one storyline where they were temporarily given the 4th wall.
>oneoverzero.keenspace.com/

I don't know how well it holds up now, but I thought it was really interesting. The characters speak with the author and ponder their existence. (Do they have free will? Can they make sentient comics as well? etc.) Anyone else familiar with it? I got the sense that it use to be popular, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it in years.

pretty sure Sup Forums still liked Animal Man in 2007

Since when Deadpool healed his awful skin?

>I've read this whole set over and over and over and I've not figured out why this is so lauded.

Have you considered the possibility that you're a moron?

I think he's just bitching to bitch now

You're not the only one user...

>he's not alive

I actually prefer this page, just because of the way it was put in after the fanletters page.

Challenge accepted.

He also kind of looks like Dream...

it really butters my toast whenever I read something kind of good and Max Landis's name is at the bottom

All of Multiversity. The book, the reader, DCU history and the concept of the comic book are incorporated into the story.

where it all usually works is the suspension of disbelief, that needs dialogue that doesn't look like comicbook speech, but actual speech.

people seem to take it to extremes on one and or the other, where on one end you have all the almost tongue-in-cheek style of older comic dialgue and on the other extreme you have bendis-speak.

you need it to read as if its a transcript of actual human speech for one of the barriers to suspension of disbelief to work.

then there's the pacing, the theme, etc.

the best fourth wall breaks are the ones least expected, because they're not what the story seemed to be about in the first place, but they unexpectedly take centerstage near the end.

One post in and a chubby rabbit wins, step up your game Gwen.

damn, that is actually, pretty fucking deep

This was back when he didn't have his healing factor and was fully "cured" or something. His skin has looked better a couple times over the last decade.

Why? do you hate it or love it? also reasons for aforementioned love/hate of him. I've watched a few of his videos and I think his ideas are shit but I enjoy his energy.

>Captain Carrot is decapitated
>he's fine and his body keeps on fighting
>one of the Flashes is scared and confused
That gave me a mighty kek.

happens once in awhile, not that anyone here actually reads comics instead of just grant morrison shit

>where is that fucking high-bar you used to have circa 2007

If anything Sup Forums held Animal Man and Morrison in even higher regard in 2007. That's near when Sup Forums's Morrison's worship began to peak. His stock has taken a bit of a hit lately since he hasn't really done as much recently.

he's just such a cunt and he also writes really stupid things

and thus, he really grills my cheese
corns my cob
flaps my jack
grinds my gears, to put it another way

Isn't that man suppose to be Millar's dad.

Then post a good example, shithead.

>Trying this hard to make /co hate Gwen.

>Landis

Get over your edge Max

Nice. Specially superman pulling his hand out of the comic

We have standards. You're the one complaining about one of the greatest runs of all time.

This particular angle rings hollow to me. It's still a comic, him being aware doesn't change anything. That's the point. The speech should stay the same because they haven't transcended the medium as they literally cannot.

That may have been his intent but we're doing something good with it

I'm just here reading the comments and damn the other anons really did butt blast you pretty badly, ouch.

I'm glad nobody replied to you, subhuman. I'm sorry to be the first. Congratulations, you don't just know how to grieve valued loved ones or consider them, but you're proud of it. In what regard do you think anyone should agree with you, be impressed with you, or even understand you? You're just human garbage, mate. Feel free to never post again, we'll all be better for it.

I don't get what order to read this one in

1 2
3 4
5 6

You are like little babies

>no hat
>takes hat from panel 4 gooby
>has hat
>panel 4 gooby's hat is taken by panel 2 gooby
>no hat
>sad

Thanks. Something about the hat's movement threw me off, but I guess it's just a cycle where he only has it for 1.5 panels.

For me, I don't think anything will top Cerebus talking to Dave Sim.

>made vulnerable by Sup Forums and the comic community's autism
I never realized this until now. The HIT is made vulnerable by being put into comic form. At that point it is at the reader's mercy due to their criticism. The idea is given a mortal, physical form. Fuck, I hadn't realized that until now. Bravo, Morrison, you beautiful scot.

God damn it, they really gotta stop making NuCarol look so mannish...