Was great as a unique villain who drew from more inspirations than simply the cliche of comic villain of evil scientist...

>was great as a unique villain who drew from more inspirations than simply the cliche of comic villain of evil scientist, wanna be world ruler, or bloodthirsty psycho
>was great as an anti-hero as well, being a loveable oaf but still very dangerous and seemingly one of the only characters to tread the lines of villain and anti hero consistently, always trying to do the right thing but treated like a psycho even buy other kill friendly anti-heroes
>gets hated cause LOL 90S even though his origin is in the 80s

Does any character have it worse than Venom?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LWy22xrNEtM&t=361s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People hate Venom?

I know Carnage gets shit on, but I thought people generally liked Venom

Certain people do, but they are no small group.

Typically the complaints never get deeper than "he has a bad motive" as if that can't be said about 90 percent of capeshit characters or "LOL 90s SUX" because he was a very popular character in the 90s, hating him is a thing but it's really just a meme

Maybe it's all because he's extremely boring as a villain and also extremely boring in any other role. Lethal Protector is pure garbage, nostalgiafag.
>u-unique
Unique =/= good.

Eddie Brock have no charisma. How can you guys like him? Even the legless or the last guy are better.

>Does any character have it worse than venom?

Are you serious? They are doing event on him right now

He seem to be overpower, To the point that I wonder how did spider-man beat this guy?

Venom wasn't that great originally. ASM #300 is overrated as fuck.

You do realize that "charistmatic evil for the sake of evil" is not the only type of villain ever, right?

>Overpowered
>Grab a pipe and smack it to the ground
I can agree that he is powerful but come on.
To the point of this thread, i loved the idea for Venom and the symbiote suit.

>Sup Forums doesn't read comics

Every day there's a Venom thread.

Post the page where he saves a girl and get's gassed by a clown.

also

>Flash Thompson of all people becomes Venom
>the two actually start to flesh out as characters and build off each other even if the symbiote barely talked
>garners an interesting rogues gallery that mostly stays at street level
>hiccups like Circle of Four happen but overall the run is top tier even with fukken Bunn writing the story
>Bendis breaks in a steals Venom away from Philly to go be in space for some reason
>for some reason make the symbiote into a dindu allegory
>next series keeps him in space with all of the BS that Bendis introduced
>Robbie Thompson actually salvages the entire character and links it back to the Remender/Bunn run
>continuity actually deals with the fact that Flash left Andi to fuck around as an angsty teen wearing a hell-powered symbiote
>story works through all of this and gets the duo back on track
>gets ripped away again to be used by an edgy OC for all of 6 issues
Why can't they just leave him alone

>He have all the memories of peter parker and his weakness
>peter parker can't be sense by him
>He can transform himself into anything.
>and got the strength of a spider

Peter should be dead.

>HURRRR HE SUCKS
He's more entertaining than 90 percent of capeshit characters, you're the exact kind of hater I'm talking about
Don't read comics, just follow the status quo

I dont hate Venom, I just think hes one of, if not the, most overrated Spider Man characters there is. The only thing I hate is the "Kyntar" horseshit and the last Venom, Lee

Venom is stronger than Peter, but he also has very glaring weaknesses that can be exploited, that is what levels the playing field

Every Venom vs Spider-Man fight ends with Peter running away or exploiting those weaknesses

No there's not, if there were I would know about it

People like you are why the 18 and over rule exists on Sup Forums, unfortunately we're at a time where 18 and over means kids born in fucking 1997

Well if you aren't underage, what's your excuse for having shit taste, user?

>says others have shit taste
>posts generic late 00s anime style shit

There is no way you're over like 22 years old

>does any character have it worse than this immensely known villain who always leads popularity polls and has established himself in one of the top spots of Spider-Man's rogue gallery despite being fairly recent, has an event centered on him right now and a solo movie dedicated to him coming out ?
In case you were genuinely clueless and not trying to start a bait thread, the answer is no.

>that head pat
cute. is it wrong that I like good guy venom?

>Legless

That's Eugene "Flash" Thompson to you, sir. Get your facts straight. It's a character that's older than you and had decades worth of stories before becoming a superhero

got you covered
No, no it is not

>using "like" like that
Are you projecting, user?

>That smile on the 3rd panel

Cute.

>uniqie...doesn't draw from cliche and wasn't a bloodthirsty psycho
Sorry to paraphrase. They were a slasher villain when they first showed up, and became a pretty standard 90's anti-hero shortly after. They weren't unique so much as novel for Spider-Man.
>gets hated cause LOL 90S even though his origin is in the 80s
The "lol 90's" bandwagon is directed at the TDKR/Watchmen inspired bandwagon that went from about 88-97. Venom falls under the umbrella and was created by one of the most important creators in 90's comics; don't play coy because of arbitrary groupings of dates.

But at large, people shit on Venom because a lot--and I mean a lot--of comics prominently featuring it are straight up trash. The good stories under the Eddie years are the outliers, and even they tend to have mediocre art. The Gargan years had even fewer peaks, Flash fizzled shortly after startup, the current run and Eddie's return has been handled terribly, and the minor hosts are largely forgettable.

People like Venom's look, powerset and tone, not the stories the symbiote is in. It's why Spawn blew up: Venom, but also Batman, from Hell! Stop with the victim complex bullshit.

Those freckles or acne scars or whatever they are, are fucking disgusting

I love when artists pay attention to the fact that the symbiote can shapeshift, and when Venom is passive change his face to reflect that but portray him with full fangs when he's pissed
I really hate you

>But at large, people shit on Venom because a lot--and I mean a lot--of comics prominently featuring it are straight up trash. The good stories under the Eddie years are the outliers, and even they tend to have mediocre art. The Gargan years had even fewer peaks, Flash fizzled shortly after startup, the current run and Eddie's return has been handled terribly, and the minor hosts are largely forgettable.

We are talking about Eddie here, he is synonymous with Venom. Also, I say you're wrong...I think pretty much all of Eddie's stories that could be considered "classic" by now were good, who the hay are you to tell me you dictate what is good and what isn't? You may as well be another lemming parroting shit

>People like Venom's look, powerset and tone, not the stories the symbiote is in. It's why Spawn blew up: Venom, but also Batman, from Hell! Stop with the victim complex bullshit.

I like Venom because of his character and relationship with an alien suit, I find it compelling and interesting, he's not a boring hero but he's also not a villain, not really, I find Eddie Brock is easily the most relatable character in Marvel that exists, add the appeal of Spider-Man's cool powers and the whole weird soap opera that is a man living with an alien as his only friend, and it makes for a very interesting and fun story/character to read about

I had no idea anyone could be this gay.

>We are talking about Eddie here, he is synonymous with Venom.
He's been Venom for...half the brand's life? Maybe a third? I forget what year it left him.

Regardless, Flash held the symbiote for a comparable period of time and was pretty popular. I think a good comparison is Scarlet Spider: the first one is what most people immediately think of, but fans tend to mention the character's name just in case since there are two popular characters with the title. Iconic, but not synonymous.

>who the hay are you to tell me you dictate what is good and what isn't?
A person with an opinion, same as you. They're neither objectively good nor bad and I could talk about things like the panel composition, character writing, etc of various arcs, but I think the fact that most people can't tell you jack about his Lethal Protector era minis says it all. The common fan likes the design and what the character can be, not the stories themselves.

>I like Venom because of his character and relationship with an alien suit
I like that element for both Eddie and Flash, so I don't know why you act as if Eddie is the only host that matters.

Either way, I'm saying that at large it appears people don't value Venom's story. You can if you feel so inclined, but I'm not saying you can't. I'm saying that most people are like that. Shit, *I* was like that as a kid.

It's alright to admit that you're wrong, user.

not that user, but I absolutely agree that Flash was the best host. And I'm 23

>I think the fact that most people can't tell you jack about his Lethal Protector era minis says it all. The common fan likes the design and what the character can be, not the stories themselves.
Most people can't tell you shit about any cape character, Venom is not unique in this way. Normies don't know shit.

>I like that element for both Eddie and Flash, so I don't know why you act as if Eddie is the only host that matters.
Because he is Venom, it's fine to like Flash but it never needed to happen

Hell, they brought back Eddie TWICE because he has fucking fans out there and had to pull some contrived shit to make him "Venom" but not "Venom"

Anti-Venom and Toxin were both asspulls to bring the character back after they made him get rid of the symbiote, and now they've just given it back to him because he never should have lost it in the first place. His character was Anti-Venom and Toxin was the fucking same, proving people like him

Hell isn't his current book one of the better selling Marvel ones at the moment

People hate Venom? Isn't he the Spiderman villain everyone remembers first?

>Hell isn't his current book one of the better selling Marvel ones at the moment
the series has been all over the place. The humber 1 was huge, number 2 was a huge drop, number 3 sold a lot when they announced Eddie being back, but then 4 and 5 dropped a lot, and then 6 sold more because Eddie was on the cover, and then 150 sold a ton because it was a special big number.

So we don't know how well he's gonna sell once it settles, especially with venomverse coming up, but I heard 151 was average.

And look, I love Eddie Venom, but I loved him more as Anti-Venom. Best the character's ever been.

Most spiderman villians do.

>And look, I love Eddie Venom, but I loved him more as Anti-Venom. Best the character's ever been.

And Anti-Venom was literally Brock as Venom with a reversed color scheme and a spikey goatee, same exact stories could have been told if he kept the symbiote

Venom became a pretty uninteresting character once he made peace with Spider-man.

> same exact stories could have been told if he kept the symbiote
Please, enlighten me how he could have had his holy crusade as a healer, and saved all of new york.

It was Venom, but with more emphasis on Eddie's character than "muh bond" while another character got to do that shtick. It was the best of both worlds: Eddie moving forward, Flash growing as a character, and the symbiote in a new situation that keeps the endearing elements.

I like Flash so much I'm hesitant to follow him back to edgy '90s man Eddie Brock.

I guess it depends on who you grew up with.

Eddie has good points too, it's just harder to see since the average Eddie book wasn't great. Read the Antivenom stuff if you're wary of Eddie.

i legitimately don't know what the fuck you are complaining about, that dude's points were rock solid

>tfw you're the only person who liked Gargan Venom

You're not seeing the bigger picture, plot devices aside Anti-Venom was largely just Lethal Protector continued, it was Eddie being a goofy anti hero, only this time his costume was part of a bigger story

Same story could have been told if you reworked it into just a Venom story and taken away the gimmick of "Eddie literally heals people", just have him killing bad people instead, but character wise he was just being Venom

Story wise Anti-Venom was a gimmick, but character wise what any Venom fan enjoyed about it was just having Eddie back in action up to his usual antics of slaying wrong doers in the way only he can, not the fact that he healed anybody

What's there to like? He had the personality of a rock.

This is a Venom thread, not a Flash Thompson thread

I know for people who are like super young it's a hard concept to grasp, but once upon a time "we are Venom" meant something, it meant Venom was Eddie and the symbiote TOGETHER, did Spider-Man call himself Venom when he wore it? No, Venom is the identity created by the culmination of Brock and the symbiote

These days that's been thrown down the toilet, but modern Marvel is shit

Among 20-somethings, yes, but the grampas here still like to pretend that anyone cares about the Green Goblin anymore.

Did you not read Dark Reign: Spider-Man?

The problem is that OMD/OMIT wiped his memories of Peter being Spider-Man. His scary appeal was that he knew who Spidey was and could hurt his family and loved ones at any moment. Not to mention it was a big part of the Klyntar and Eddie's story.

Mind-wiping Eddie and the Klyntar's memories of Peter made both of them pointless and pussified. Now it doesn't matter who gets the suit, the suit is now nothing more than a Ben10 power-up.

Costa tried to make the suit hate Spidey recently but it just came off as forced. And there's no stakes since both don't know Spidey is Peter. They tried to pander to nostalgia fans but it doesn't work. It's not the same and just feels lazy.

I also feel letting the symbiote talk like a normal person/human removes a lot of the alienness/otherworldly quality to it.

FlashThompsonfags are the RichardRyderfags of the Spidey fandom.

They pretend their boring character was the best, yet couldn't be assed to support them.

Have fun with Flash sucking Peter's dick in Slott's book!

The fact that you use the term "Klyntar" tells me everything I need to know about you

Venom has three actual weak points, the most easy of which for Spiderman to take advantage of is his unstable formation when high frequency sound hits him.

That being said, Venom is interesting simply because he knows what most villains do not; Peter's identity, his location, his habits, essentially all of his life and the memories it has produced since the symbiote originally latched to Peter.

Also Venom is not a person, but an entity, a union between Eddie Brock, who already has a vendetta for Spider Man, while the symbiotic power he joined with resents Peter Parker as a person.

Despite the anger, Venom in most stories eventually becomes not so much a hate fueled duo, but just an angry thing that tries to do what it believes is right, but will do whatever it can to fuck Peter Parker / Spiderman's shit up, yet will join up IF need be.

If Eddie was smarter, yet has less charisma and emotion, he would have killed Peter by now, but there is a strange shred of humanity found not only in Eddie, but even his alien counterpart, which is funny, seeing as the original point of the symbiote was that it was not alive, and when it finally was shown to be alive, nobody cared, for it appeared to have non-human emotion, when in reality the opposite is true.

Venom has taken other hosts, and do not even get me started on the whole Carnage bits, but the fact of the matter is that Venom is a villain that plays itself, and the writers are the ones who either set Villain up as a great character, or just a flash in the pan villain based off nostalgia.

>Same story could have been told if you reworked it into just a Venom story and taken away the gimmick of "Eddie literally heals people", just have him killing bad people instead, but character wise he was just being Venom
But Eddie healing people was the entire point.
He was an actual hero, and people saw him as one, not just a violent monster killing people. (even if he still did kill criminals)
He literally saw himself as a sort of prophet, that's way better than just repeating the same old lethal protector stories over and over.
I like both Richard Rider and Flash, they're two of my favorite heroes, and I bought both their books.

I just don't see why some Venom fans hate Agent Venom so much. They just froth at the mouth of the very idea that someone else can be a great host, and would flush all of Eddie's development down the drain.

It's possible to like both Eddie and Flash as Venom.

Yes, well when I say "Venom" I mean Eddie Brock Venom, not the symbiote, not the symbiote bonded to other hosts, the original Venom

>but there is a strange shred of humanity found not only in Eddie, but even his alien counterpart
Part of what makes him (them) so interesting, people can't see that

Venom is a weird character because as this thread proves, people either find him really charismatic and interesting or boring and cliche, it's a love it or hate it thing, I happen to love it

>But Eddie healing people was the entire point.
>He was an actual hero, and people saw him as one, not just a violent monster killing people. (even if he still did kill criminals)
>He literally saw himself as a sort of prophet, that's way better than just repeating the same old lethal protector stories over and over.
But who cared? I can only speak for myself, but when I read Anti-Venom stuff I enjoy it purely because of Eddie antics returning, I couldn't have given a shit less about the whole spider people storyline or the fact that Eddie can cure diseases, I was just glad to have him back in action and Anti-Venom was the vehicle in which I was receiving it

why are they in such uniform rows, its actually triggering my tripophobia

>But who cared?
I did. Plenty of people made art of him being a holy savior, so a lot of others did as well.

>Venom has three actual weak points
...and they retconned one of them, the suit shooting the web and not some symbiote goo resembling web, thus allowing Venom to run out of web occasionally. I've never seen it after his initial appearances.

>Mark Bagley
Still the best depiction of Venom to me.

Good guy Venom is vastly superior to bad guy Venom. Venom as a Villain is good for like one kind of story, then he becomes repetitive. Good Guy Venom has more room to play around, and his relationship with Peter can be pretty fun.

I was born in 1999 and this art is SHIT!

>"he has a bad motive"

Wat? Venom has one of the more unique motivational setups amongst villains AND anti-heroes in capeshit

People hate him because he's supposed to be sympathetic yet his motive is basically hating Spider-Man for doing the right thing.

I'm mostly a casual, but ive liked Venom forever.

I will say most of it is design and concept, and not the stories. I read maybe a handful of 90's issues when I was a kid. The whole "monster trying to be a good guy" thing was neat in what I read though.

That all said, Flash-Venom really bugged me at first, but totally grew on me over time.

I do really like them using the symbiote in a more controlled way... With him occasionally losing control and monstering out.

The recent stuff with Brock-as-venom kind of sucks though.

I was always under the impression that his hatred of Spider-Man stemmed from two fronts: Eddie Brock's jealousy of Peter Parker's success, and the Symbiote's feelings of betrayal and dejection from Peter-Man Spider-Parker. That seems much more compelling and, at least, has narrative potential

youtube.com/watch?v=LWy22xrNEtM&t=361s
The ultimate bestversion of venom

>he's supposed to be sympathetic yet his motive is basically hating Spider-Man for doing the right thing.
That is exactly the thing. Eddie Brock is not...well, he is a delusional. His actions don't NEED to make sense to the average person because he's fucking nuts. And that is also part of what makes him so sympathetic to some people, everybody has those moments where they are sure they are doing the right thing but to everyone else looks like a total fucking asshole

This is the tale of Eddie Brock

I really wish we got Daddy Venom

He's not sympathetic he's just an asshole, just because you don't want to talk responsibility for your own failings doesn't make him a compelling character.

Underage get out.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and blah blah. I find Brock to be relatable because he is in no way a true hero, but he tries. There are tons upon tons of "real heroes" in comics to take your pick from if you need a role model or some shit, Venom isn't for everybody. I also find him interesting because of his relationship with the symbiote, he is a true loner/loser unlike Parker who is a loner/loser only because you're supposed to think he is, but really has tons of friends and girls always on his nuts

This!

I'm an Erik Larsen fan myself

Dat jaw doe

That's a nice chin, Benito

i like villains who dont particularly want power or money they just have a personal vendeta against the hero
if you make the hero fight someone like that then he is not being a hero because he is just protecting himself
at that point, if the villainis justified in wanting the hero dead is he a villain? is the hero a hero? or are they just two guys wanting to kill each other?

i remember reading in Wizard magazine years ago that Larsen hated drawing Venom (something to do with the mouth, it think) so he tried to make it as ridiculous as possible. Mind you this was the eXtreme 90's, so when people finally saw his crazy ass hyper exaggerated rendition of Venom, people loved it... oops.

Good guy venon was tons of fun, he beating the shit out of peter when he went "oh no, gotta defend those rapists from venon" was a bonus
... ok, im exagerating, but it was fun indeed.

Ha I was born in 95 and I read more comics than you.

I miss old venom

Similar to the feminist broad who made Punisher Warzone then, wanted to make it as stupid and bloody as possible to prove a point....but thats just what the fans want

>gets hated cause LOL 90S
I've seen that happen to Spawn but not Venom.

>Id agree if he didnt constantly struggle with that original motive and how valid is actually is as a central theme in his character development.

>Thinks venom is an evil for evils sake villian...

You dont really know a lot about this do you? You pretty much just demonstrated you dont even know venom at all.

I think you got that anons post backwards

Venom with human teeth is creepier than with fangs.

venom and carnage are cool

everybody who shits on them are bitch boys who can't remember what it was like when they first came out and only have the recent shit in mind

Venom without fangs and just huge fucking teeth is objectively the best design.

Agreed. Looks more uncanny too.

>LOL 90S
I don't even understand the hatred for 90s comics. It's one of my favorite eras for comics and I see people on the internet shitting on that era all the time.

It wasn't a bad time for every comic, but both Marvel and DC got so caught up in commercialization and exploiting the readers that they eventually started churning out really bad comics that appealed to the most low-brow and shallow expectations of casuals.
You saw a lot of foil covers and "extreme" themes that usually boiled down to chest-thumping stories where everyone had the biggest gun they could find.
The Incredible Hulk had a big gun, The Hulk. WTF?
A flooded marketplace of dozens of new titles meant that quality suffered.
Comics that were innovative icons of the industry a decade before were put out with substandard artwork and rinse and repeat stories that you could skip without missing anything.
They also started dumbing down stories in order to sell comics to all the new readers who were introduced to the comics by a new wave of Saturday morning cartoons and expected childish stories to match.
Can you imagine what that was like for loyal readers?
Plus, the lesson learned by the "grimm'n'gritty" '80s was that being an edgelord sells more books, so characters were still all morally bankrupt and ultraviolent but it had begun to be normalized.
And then there was the abandonment of core character concepts, some heroes are supposed to be all about one thing, like how Spider-Man was about responsibility.
They forgot who a lot of characters were supposed to be in that damned decade.