/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #382

>tfw we don't have much Eurasian hours posters
Edition

We are here to suffer together in an eternal cycle. That's right, this is the thread to talk about your webcomic to be/ongoing!

Share your progress, your fears, your success, your dreams and your sorrow. We are all the same here.

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
youtube.com/watch?v=-v4R2ZcxPlA
strawbles.deviantart.com/gallery/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Let it die

Where would I start?

Fuck! It dies! I am too tired to make a comic.

I guess, I can talk about my side project. Anyone want to hear it?

No.

Maybe

So in today's world, why would you bother to create anything? Are you masochists? Literally everyone on the internet is looking to shit on any and everything they can find. Why fucking bother?

It was like that since forever. But before the internet creators were locked from the entire world and were mocked only by neighbors and relatives.

Because I'm good

>10 posts in
>no actual comic/progress posts
reposing this page from yesterday

>mocked only by neighbors and relatives
That may be true but rarely to the creator's face. Nowadays there are literally entire online communities dedicated to finding your works and shitting on them. Why open yourself up to that level of masochism?

I can't name one thing that is never shit on. Even really good stuff has some dedicated team of people who will shit all over it every day. You don't even have to leave Sup Forums to find something someone worked their entire life to create getting fucking shredded by do-nothing talentless internet beados.

Hey, I'm from last thread, been making good progress and I'll be posting some stuff in a little more than an hour. I was considering whether or not I should post under my real name or a pseudonym, but I realized the pseudonym I'd use is associated with my real name through my portfolio website anyway so it really doesn't matter. I'll be posting under that name from now on. The title of my comic is going to be "A Desert Called Love", working on the first page/title page now. I really need to get around to downloading Discord soon, I'm probably going to need a fair amount of advice on art.

This isn't bad, how long have you been drawing?

I got serious with drawing about 6 months ago,
before then I doodled shitty manga fanart.

How often do you post your stuff in these threads? What kind of feedback do you normally get on your comic?

Anyone have any good tips and stuff on type-setting?

>How often do you post your stuff in these threads?
I try to post whenever I finish a page or doodle I like.
>What kind of feedback do you normally get on your comic?
most people hate my work, I think /hyw/ is a bit hard on people though.

>most people hate my work, I think /hyw/ is a bit hard on people though.

It's not just /hyw/ tho, see Everyone wants to shit on everything. So why create? What pushes you to keep posting your stuff despite the hatred you get?

>worrying about what people on the internet might do
90% of webcomics are forgettably bad at best. It takes a perfect storm of awful to be bad to the point where people meme on you daily

>Literally everyone on the internet is looking to shit on any and everything they can find
people who think this don't leave this website.

I post my stuff here cause I'm hoping to reach the point where people no longer hate it, and maybe find someone who enjoys it.
I only really make my comics to pass the time, so people complaining about the quality doesn't effect me too much.

wait, which is it? You make them for luls and don't care what people think or care and want to change until people no longer hate your work and instead enjoy it?

I mostly make them for myself, but if others end up enjoying them, making it would be more satisfying.

Twitter comic is going well.

Well, Photoshop just crashed on me and I lost an entire 2 hours worth of work. So much for my self-appointed deadline, literally all I have left from that crash is a page layout. I don't know why I forgot the #1 rule of doing creative work on a computer: press Cntrl + S every 30 seconds or you will regret it. Time to start over and try to have something by tonight, since I promised myself I would consider this page "done" by now, except the page doesn't even exist anymore. Fuck my life. Learn from my mistakes.

Not a page but atleast I have direction

Pam gets misgendered, and triggered in public.

What is your opinion of webcomics that use photos/screenshots? Most of them are parodies of course, but still seem to be on a weird middle ground.

DM of the Rings is comedy gold if you play D&D.

We do not do this because it is permitted. We do it because we are compelled.

The same reason you shitpost.

On a related note: back up your files.

Have you considered not using photoshop, if you don't -really- need to.

For general art purposes it's extremely slow and bloated; other programs like sai or clip studio do not crash nearly as much.

I briefly did, but I'm more familiar with Photoshop's tools and layout. Maybe I'll switch to SAI and just deal with it, I'm getting a little fed up with the performance issues Photoshop has.

Some people out there just want to tell a story, and don't give a fuck what other people think, and don't get bothered by what other people think.

sai is quite a lot easier to get into than photoshop

It's far lighter

If you're afraid of people hating on your content then you're a total baby bitch. If you have the heart and drive you just put your shit out there.

Reposting this from yesterday. I want to start drawing my comic but gotta polish script first.

Just be careful with the polish. Don't be like me who just keeps polishing and never publishes anything.

Sure thing! I sometimes need translation help from anons b/c English isnt my first language.

where the fuck is lucy he said he was going to do fanart

This is a good answer.

for those who using csp
did anyone did succefully achive a tradional feel when inking ?
(pic reated is my comic )

I just downloaded it, seems pretty okay and it definitely runs better, but I have no idea where everything is yet. Also it seems like SAI doesn't have a text tool? How do you guys work around this? It seems like a huge hassle to have to do dialogue in another program.

>Also it seems like SAI doesn't have a text tool? How do you guys work around this?

Have not used SAI in ages so I'm not sure how the text works there.
That's where you use photoshop tho; to add text. Also please use antialiasing, it's kinda bothersome to see so many comics with aliased text.

If miura couldn't do it, nobody can.
You'll just have to adapt the inking.

Are any of you famous?

lol

Now why the hell would I want to be famous?
>tfw no niche cult following that will pay $$$ to keep you alive like Togashi

funny thing you talk about him
i tried to trace one of his drawing yesterday
(pic realted )

damn forgot to reply

Which of these looks better? For clarification the one of the left has higher contrast outlines and more shadows.

Left one

On the left everything stands out too much. On the right the background fades out a bit more.
Either it's too subtle to notice.

Finished this page! I actually had to do this page on my old computer with Clip studio!

It still feels really good, but not too different.

>actual antialiasing on the text

I'm so proud of you dude although judging from what your post says I don't know if this a permanent fix or not

@Coldfusion, Bones and Dewd

youtube.com/watch?v=-v4R2ZcxPlA

I like the art style.

Fucking this.

Woah dude, nice satire.

But I usually just ignore hate comments now a days.

I'm gonna stick a pin in SAI for now until I have a chance to play around with it. Still having some small issues with Photoshop, but right now I'm mostly just tired, frustrated, and I have this weird pain in my collarbone that won't go away. So rate my sky I guess? I'm putting off figuring out how to draw the characters for until the next page because I at least feel semi-comfortable painting landscapes and backgrounds. Then again I'm supposed to be making my peace with how shitty my art is so I can let it get out of the way of the story. At least my text is anti-aliased.

why do you keep acting like you're any better...?

this

Well today I finished the design of a character

Is that a possum?

If you do good work, people will care about it!

Nice to see you progress
I don't need to be better in order to critic or poke with a stick

Right

Exactly

Is a very crazy looking possum, I like it.

>I don't need to be better in order to critic or poke with a stick

Well that's a good point, I mean we do it all the time here.

Thanks fella

>Finally sat down and written a satisfying plot.
Feels good.

/hyw/ how do you guys feel about action words and using them. been experimenting with them in this page but I'm pretty sure I'm going to use them sparingly for the next one I'm doing

OK I just finished updating West Tree and now all of Part 1 is finished and after that's all uploaded there's gonna be a week break where I will have my yearly guest comic week.

So if you wanna make a guest comic for me this year reply to this post and we can work some thing out, like a discord or something.

Or you could just reply to my post with the guest comic.

Everyone sucks in one way or another, you used to suck in the specific ways that internet knowitalls love to pick on while ignoring others. You have since become fucktons better (oddly I don't recall your transitional period, you seem to have just done it all at once)

Happens to the breast of us. everyone has their one big loss that teaches them
This. Clipstudio
My plan too. Too used to it for now.

>oddly I don't recall your transitional period
I left after dropping my 3rd comic, came back when I started drafting my current one.
It's not updated with my new stuff but if you want to look back at my old cringe/progress you can here strawbles.deviantart.com/gallery/

>You have since become fucktons better
thanks user

the left is "better", since this scene is meant to showcase the background
the right is what it should be like when you have characters meant to be the focus of the scene instead, so the background can fade a bit

their*
remotely*
cannot* though I get the impression her dialect may have rendered the words separate
disappointing* remember think of dis- the prefix, and appointment
troublemakers* (you can hyphenate here because it hits the edge of the panel)

stinky P is still amusing. wait, didn't he die?
>explaining the annabeth thing offscreen
>"has a crush on anything remotely girly"
why you little..

Yours its no critic its just being a jerk

Lucy is a kind of semi shitposter. The kind you have to just tolerate because at least he's using a name, and we have his word it's all just for fun.

I still recommend clipstudio since it's basically "like photoshop but better (except in terms of painting)"

So Im slowly improving my drawing each day Buuuuuut the only thing I'm drawing are hot women and their fine asses and tittes

Someone help I can't stop drawing fine women oh god what do I do?

rogue and possumry go together like peanutbutter and more peanutbutter.
This one took me longer to get than it should've

The shape of the words should match the shape of the sound, rather than the shape of the object making it. All that does (especially when it's this messy) is make it look like actual in-universe matter.
It's okay though, I can tell you don't really have the dexterity / pen control yet to make decisions like that. Just work on that. keep practicing.

Post some bitches, I'll judge

does /hyw/ approve of the book store girl?

Is that a marriage ring?

she's married to the towns lead farmer, later in the page someone comes and gets her so she can watch her husband do the harvest.

draw something else that appeals to your urges, like kickass action, explosions, monsters with nasty claws, and maybe some cool muscly flowin'-haired dudes you can self-insert with. Yknow, to go on dates with those hot women you already drew. Dates that involve killing monsters with explosions!

and then later think about some story plots that made you go 'whoa' and try to include those aspects

a cutie. I would look beyond her messed up hands.

Subarashiiiiiii

how have I never once used that pose? saving for future ref.

What if I don't have a drawing program?

You got it boss!

Page for4. Finished this like around a week ago.

These look pretty good, you have a blog or something where you post these?

s-stop it you're stroking my ego

Page 4*

And here's is WIP Page 5.

Nah, he came back in chapter 16.