Is zainab akhtar the most important person in comics right now?

is zainab akhtar the most important person in comics right now?

Important how?

I haven't read any of the Shortbox stuff but I dig the idea. It needs to evolve beyond a boutique subscription though if it's to ever have an impact on comics in some form

she's a self made muslim woman in comics
what she's been able to do in having her own successful site and now publishing is impressive and shows even marginalized people can succeed in comics

True, but it didn't happen overnight. I'd like to see her take on a much bigger, more visible editorial/curatorial role of some sort at a publisher because chances are you haven't heard of her if you aren't already involved in certain circles or read small press

I saw her tweeting that people coming up to her stall at a con presumed her guy friend helping her out was the Shortbox creator (and not her), that's pretty disheartening

Comics & Cola had a good mix of what it covered but was shamelessly lib which I imagine would put off a good portion of Sup Forums. When it came to actual criticism though there was some good shit there.

I agree with mostly. I like the set-up of ShortBox and it feels like there's a lot of creative freedom the people involved have.

>Comics & Cola had a good mix of what it covered but was shamelessly lib
looking at their Twitter that's a big understatement, it's surprising/co/ doesn't harp on them more given how much the MRAs on here love shitting on women's opinion

Most of Sup Forums are plebs who only follow big and controversial names, Zainab is completely off their radar

Probably for the better too.

if you pay attention, the MRA stuff is all idiots throwing bullshit at big names trying to attract attention, the people who actually read comics here on Sup Forums typically don't give a shit about any of that and just want to read comics in peace

Those people don't make threads sadly, I honestly find better and more discussion on twitter these days

>had a good mix of what it covered
Yeah, it reminds me how much I miss Tucker Stone writing about comics. One week he's talking about art comics and the next he's talking about his love of The Punsiher or Judge Dredd.

He still has his podcasts.

That's what wednesdays are for

Twitter definitely has its own slant and the non-anonymous environment can weirdly be a lot more meaningfully hostile.

Have you seen comics Twitter today in reaction to the new Chaykin cover? Jesus fucking christ. I can't say shit about it or people will lynch me.

I saw some dude with a furry avatar going in on Brandon Graham and stopped right there

I wouldn't be giving modern Chaykin a second thought without all the uproar over United States of Hysteria. I wonder if this is in such poor taste that people will forget about Holy Terror

The whole " silence is acceptance" crap?

I think so yeah

That's Colin Spacetwinks, he's an utter cunt. Brandon kinda slipped up in his argument but Colin had no right to shout at him in such a condescending manner. The guy clearly has an agenda to push, and never has anything good to say about anything.

Most of the people complaining about Chaykin never even heard of the guy prior to the uproar.

I'm in the industry myself, and it's worrying to see the large majority of fans and creators so staunchly against having an open dialect. People are threatening to drop all their Image pulls just because this one book is upsetting them - and I get why it's offensive - but forming a mob and dragging others down is not the proper course of action.

Graham at least isn't kneeling over even despite getting shit like this which looks like something that would be posted on here

>People are threatening to drop all their Image pulls
I honestly doubt they will. Remember when people said they would boycott all of Marvel because of Ike's relationship to Trump?

He nearly never bows to the random crazies and bloggers that makes up comics twitter.

His only real fuck up was posting a random kaiju in response to Zanib talking about a comic cover portraying a mutilated and hung brown man.

Maybe, but I dunno. I think this hits a bit closer to home for some than one dude that happens to associate with Trump.

Yeah that's one thing I respect about Graham. He gives out a lot of shit, but never backs down. Unlike other certain Image creators who bend over for everybody (see: Stewart)

That's just Brandon being his typical silly self, what were people expecting

I really don't see this having too big an impact, maybe Chaykin will never work with Image again. Then again it's clearly not been effecting sales so far, Image had to rush #1 for a second print after everyone wrote articles about how offensive it was.