Will Disney ever make another 2D animated movie? Why not?

Will Disney ever make another 2D animated movie? Why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kIv_ConaZ1c
youtube.com/watch?v=yQBQw-Bh1pg
youtube.com/watch?v=ED0ySD51Z2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, because Rugrats.

Disney will only make another 2D animated film when Humanoid Robots who can be programmed to hand draw are invented. That should lower the cost of making 2D animated films.

Princess and the Frog had a lower budget than all of Disney's CG movies, except it was also shit with poor marketing and so made back substantially less.

You're in luck, there's a traditionally hand-drawn frame-by-frame animated movie coming out in 3 months!

but we can't talk about it here :(

here's a link anyway youtube.com/watch?v=kIv_ConaZ1c

Well there's another one too, but it's an equally cursed film to talk about on Sup Forums
youtube.com/watch?v=yQBQw-Bh1pg

Cartoon Saloon really likes its lolis

They won't because America fucking sucks and did not go out to see The Princess and the Frog, Musker and Clements best since Aladdin (Hercules was overrated shit).

To be fair princess and the frog was really bad.

>except it was also shit

Is this cursed because of muslims because this looks great and thats unfortunate?

It was better than Moana

Remind me again how they made a movie about black people being frogs without anyone saying something?

no because it wouldn't make as much money since kids think 2d is old fashioned

Almost certainly not unless there is a dramatic market shift. Even ignoring that the audience wants 3D, or the costs, 3D animation is simply easier to modify in response to focus testing. Frozen was originally a pretty classic tale about stopping an evil sorceress, and Zootopia was Psycho-Pass for furries, but just a few months before they were released they both were radically altered into what become huge cash cows. Its literally impossible to do that with 2D short of chaining the animators to the desk and filling the screen with anime-tier QUALITY.

Imo Princess and the Frog was just slightly worse than Aladdin and Mulan but better than Pocahontas, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast

Except when it wasn't, which was...oh, I dunno, 95% of the film or more.

They were frogs most of the time so no, it was shit

Disney execs have the numbers. Their CG movies make billions, their last 2D films made zilch.

They're not going back that CG ship sinks, if it will ever.

My negro.

>implying animal movies are shit

Lady and the Tramp would like to have a word with you

Pocahontas is another one that's way fucking underrated. Native American princesses for the everything.

Dr. Facilier's song makes up for 80% of the bad stuff in the movie

Maybe. I think I could see them doing it as a separate thing from the mainline films or on straight to video like they did with the Disney sequels. But, I don't think that will happen.
also tiana is hotter than Elsa

I think it's correctly rated

Better than Tangled, Frozen or Moana.

What makes it better than those films?

it wasn't better than Moana

-Feels like an actual Disney movie.
-Actually strong heroine
-Comic relief that actually amounts to something
-Better songs
-Disney's last truly great first-party villain who wasn't a glorified plot device.
-Glorious 2D animation

I haven't seen Tangled, but Frozen was extremely bland and pandering from being too focus-tested and Moana kicked ass and was better than Princess and the Frog.

I almost read that as "Dr. Facilier's song makes up 80% of the bad stuff in the movie", and then I was going to have to fight you.

You're still wrong tho

>tradionally hand drawn frame by frame
that's fucking flash animated. it's not hand drawn and looks like shit

they will. just wait 20-30 years

Tiana herself is better than Moana. Let's look at some facts:
>not a retread of previous heroines
>motivation isn't "discovering who she is" and isn't fueled by teenage rebellion against daddy
>is a practical realist; is aware from the very start that she won't get what she wants by wishing on a star but through lots of hard work

Basically, this Meanwhile, Moana does the same old song and dance about she doesn't necessarily want to stick to the path her father's laid out for her, and sets out to prove how she's a fierce, independent young woman who can do anything boys can do. Completely safe and sterile.

Black movie released during Avatar

I'm sure they're perfectly fine with Princess and the Frog being the last 2D animated film they ever put out as opposed to... this.

But Winnie the Pooh is the last 2D animated film Disney every put out. Only made $20.1 mil on a $30 mil budget.

They will after CG oversaturation starts to get old and they experiment with a 2D film and it destroys at the box office.

Was it? Christ, I forgot. And I even went to go see that movie in theaters. I liked it fine enough, though Rabbit's voice sounded way too off for me. That's pretty sad to hear that it didn't do so well.

It was put up against James Cameron's Avatar and got crushed by the 3D meme

>Heroine starts out believing Hard Work and Determination can overcome any obstacle
>Ends up discovering all she really needed was true love and a sapient alligator
I mean, it's not the worst moral imaginable.

What Disney should do is make more 2D animated shorts. Especially the ones that play before their movies. What do they have to lose?

I liked Kanga's voice. It was sweet and sultry. Total Milf material. I also think Craig Ferguson did a pretty good impression of the old voice of Owl.

Kanga's always cute.
I don't know if it's the case here, but she's underappreciated.

>Muh 2D

Moana was better than this in every way

it's hand drawn in flash, frame by frame. and looks pretty good

Give me five good reasons why.

they wont make 2d until their CGI movies will start underperforming, they will look around what kind of movies are popular and are beating them at box office.
They will buy that succesful studio which makes them, and start making same movies at them.
(like they did with musicals, movies about mice, pixar)

*as them

Cuz disney shut down their tradional animation studios

Too expensive.

It wasnt better than tangled which was disneys comeback from pixar

America and the rest of the world went out to see Avatar instead which became the highest grossing movie of all time

Because 2D animation is dead. The lowest common denominator prefers CGI that ages faster than milk.

but it doesnt

things like wall-e still look great.

>CGI ages like milk
>this is what 2Dfags actually believe
Good CGI doesn't age

That movie barely counts. Everything except for the characters are 3D CG. I know 2D movies had 3D objects in them since the 90's, but usually the majority of the backdrops and props are 2D, with some 3D for a complicated object or set piece, here it's the opposite, a few 2D assets moving around a fully 3D environment.

>This is my birthday present
Thanks for Deviantart the pony, I guess...

It simply boils down to the fact CG is faster and easier to produce films with.

Back during the 90s when Disney was pumping out what would be their classic films they didn't have the CG technology yet and trust me if they did they would have used it.

Toy Story was the groundbreaking movie for the CG animation and things went from there

>anime-tier QUALITY

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Sup Forums won't let you discuss anything with themes they misinterpret as being demoralizing

Months from now when awards buzz hits you'll see dozens of threads with OPs pretending they've discovered this film and are introducing to us for the first time that this transgender Muslim anti-Trump film is plaguing midwestern multiplexes with its degeneracy, as if it's not some foreign arthouse film based on a beloved book with an anti-terrorism story playing in super limited release.

it will be Oscar nomiated, but the award will go to Coco becaue Disney

You're kind of bringing this out of nowhere, but okay.

I actually don't know if Breadwinner will be nominated because of the new voting rules made to the animation branch, making it harder for movies to stand out if they're not big American studio releases. I guess we'll see.

As far as animation goes, that's terrible. With all anime has to offer, I don't know why you'd pick that. KLK has better scenes.

i forgot about these new rules, yeah. It sucks for independent small studios.

Literally Laughed Out Loud at that gif.

I really hope they will finally made a movie with paperman filters

Honestly speaking of Moana and stuff, I think Disney's musical game is just a lot weaker recently, princess and the frog, frozen, and moana all had like 1 good song each and the rest were all over-repeated and/or just mediocre

>no Tangled

why i am not surprised?
Well, it's because they follow trends instead of coming with new ideas.Their last movies are indistinguishable from Pixar ones when it comes to story.

No.

Because Disney likes money.

And every single 3D movie since Tangled has printed them sickening amounts of money.

??? I dont get it

youtube.com/watch?v=ED0ySD51Z2U

the truth is somewhere inbetween desu.

Pan pls

They don't have to, so they won't. Walt's been dead for over fifty years, Disney is no longer the artistry-driven film studio it began as.

They'll realize their mistake once Hasbro rakes in a billion after October.

i cant wait for disney to come up with their own PONIES brand.

does tangled even qualify as a musical?
there's like 2 songs I think?
It's probably less of a musical than Tarzan where the characters just shut up and listened to fucking phil Collins.
Tangled at least got a couple good laughs out though, but was really weak by Disney standards, kind of like how The Rock carried Moana from being a terrible show as hard as he could.

I don't remember much from Tangled, what was funny in that movie? Misunderstood bandits straight from Shrek?

There's at least 4 songs in Tangled, if I'm remembering correctly.

The anal sex reference.

the ongoing schaudenfraude and the schtick where everyone, including his horse seems to hate the protagonist

Maximus hated Flynn the most, it wasn't his horse.
I get, same schtic was going to be used in Zootopia. Where protagonist was permanently persecuted and tortured, pretending it was slapstick.

>It simply boils down to the fact CG is faster and easier to produce films with.
Mostly this. CG is the economic option.

>my dad unironically worked for Disney in the 90s

Then why do countries like France still shit out 2d animated movies if they are sooooo much more expensive?

face it, 2d animated movies have a charm 3d animated movies never can have

because france is an arthouse.

well, used to be. this country is doomed

>Will Disney ever make another 2D animated movie?
No.

>Why not?
Right now, Disney is creating live action/CGI movies of their old animated movies and are making bank by rebooting old movies. At this point, creativity is dead at Disney and they don't need to do anything experimental or groundbreaking when it comes to 2D animation.

I never said that they're more expensive. In fact, CG films are more often than not more expensive to produce than traditionally animated feature films.

Princess and the Frog had a budget of $105 million. It made over twice that at just over $260 million in theatres.

Tangled, coincidentally, had a whoppingly huge budget of $260 million, and ended up making almost $600 million at the box office.

My point was, traditional animation is a time-consuming and grueling effort that relies on an extreme amount of hard work. The very processes of original cell animation mean that a huge portion of development goes into menial tasks like copying, tweening, inking, correcting, etc etc.

Digital 2D animation like Flash alleviates a lot of the 'grunt work' of traditional stuff because it allows animators to work with assets and animate in ways which have the potential to cut out the middle-man, so to speak. It's one of the reasons why Flash continues to produce a lot of television cartoons.

CG is just an extension of this. The digital platform streamlines the animation process in ways which save time and effort, and still produce work which comes out looking good. As has been said a lot already, CG is also very much 'in vogue' at the moment (but I don't expect that to last forever).

All of the digital developments which increase efficiency are good things. Animators can work faster and easier, which means more movies produced at a reasonable rate. Scenes can be altered and retouched seamlessly without having to hire people to come in for a few more weeks.

But I am definitely with you when you say that 2D animated movies have a certain charm. I'm all for seeing more traditionally animated films in the style of Princess and the Frog and older movies. I just think we need to understand just how efficient the digital platform has made animation as an industry. We should respect positive developments.

tianas pretty underrated

>creativity is dead

it's so sad it's true.

At least they're not like all those dtv cheapquels they released in the 90s and 00s.

>face it, 3D animated movies have a charm 2D animated movies never can have

suuure

you'll see who's going to laugh last.

No because they have a formula that works and anyone who pays an ounce of attention to Disney products knows when they've found a working formula, they stick to it until it stops making money.

It's not a bad business practice, but it's not as creatively inclined.

One song cannot carry a whole.... Oh, right... Frozen. Okay, I got nothing.

The CGI is the future. Just accept it and move on

I think E&C did the prejudice thing better than entire Zootopia

Moana's stronk not-a-princess shtick was lame, but the songs were okay. Princess and the Frog has 1 good song

That was his point, idiot. They made it look cool even with minimal animation.

2D is more less costly and requires less man hours. However, 3D gets huge profits because kids and normalfags think it's strictly an upgrade from 2D. Additionally, while there are less man hours, you're still looking at basically the same production time frame. 2D is a more specialized craft where the tentpole films are top heavy towards the best of the best, meaning a small group is taking on the most arduous work. 3D has hundreds of amateurs doing grunt work at a computer that isn't physically taxing.