Why are Australians always portrayed as the villains in media?

Why are Australians always portrayed as the villains in media?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4d0Ld53Fp0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=v8QwORKfT9w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you been to Australia?

Down right buggy cunts, they are

because media reflects reality

Because they are.

This show is Australian, every character in it is Australian, heroes and villains.

Better question: why does every Australian movie and cartoon always take place in the Outback?

There are numerous other examples.

To answer this seriously, one little cultural quirk that Australians have that we don't like to talk about much is that we do have a bit of a Starscream complex from always being the lackey to a larger superpower, first the British and the the Americans (and probably the Chinese before too long). As a result, we do kind of get a kick out of being depicted as rogues and villains, I know that Seaquest was a lot more popular here than it was in the US because Australia was a villainous empire in that show.

probably because if they didn't they would be the same as US shows

>always

As an Australian, I can safely say we are the villains.
Because we're the best and we do no wrong.

Again, that's an Aussie show, everyone but the main protagonist was played by an Australian.

Because Australia was a prison where criminals were sent to live, who eventually genocided the natives there and started their own country

Similar to America but Americans were not literally convicts being forced away as punishment

I think the Australian accent makes for a good villain voice. Works for both crazy villains and for sinister hunter types.

Americans were heretics forced away for not believing in the right religion.

I've got an even better question:

Why is Australain in general, incapable of producing decent animated projects?

Everything about Australian cartoons is shit, I watched some morning abc recently, garbage after garbage.

Starscream betrays his overlord, Italy is the starscream of countries because it always changes sides and causes problems for its team

At least it's not Canada. That place literally cannot make a decent cartoon even after decades of pumping out animated content.

Made by an Australian.

Because they're butthurt that New Zealand makes better content.

Hell, all the best "Australian" actors are actually Kiwis.

Australia was a prison island

Jay, boobala!

Americans were religious purists who didn't like the mainstream religion and chose to leave.

because the entire Australian gene pool is made of convicts and cave people

I can't believe I forgot about Li'l Elvis Jones and the Truckstoppers.

That shit was on TV all through my childhood.

>chose to leave

Mr. Big is Australian?

youtube.com/watch?v=4d0Ld53Fp0Y

>welcome to a land that's way under down under
>the sky's always yellow rain or shine
>[seizure warning]

So are Zappa from Guilty Gear and Lord Raptor from Darkstalkers

Despite Lord Raptor being called LORD Raptor and having the union jack on his guitar

>Lord Raptor
Holy shit really? I had no idea he was meant to be Australian, i thought he was supposed to be a British Sid Vicious style punk homage.

because they've been shitting up real life for centuries

I've been racking my brains and I can't think of any Australian Sup Forums that tops Footrot Flats

>America is the Sup Forums of the world

Who ever has been in charge of the ABC seems to really dislike the idea of animation so its either given a really shitty budget or imported.

>Americans were not literally convicts being forced away as punishment

So similar to Latin America then?

How long did it take to come up with Captain Boomerang?

>We need a new Flash villain, what have you got?
>Australian guy, throws boomerangs.
>Great, what's his name?
>Boomerang.
>That's it?
>Okay, Captain Boomerang.
>Good enough.

High costs and low interest.
Aus kids stuff hasn't been decent since early Round The Twist

Well that is fair, Footrot Flats was top-tier. Hard to beat that

Nigga, they were kicked out for being too weird on a continent full of weirdos.

Because Australians are often portrayed as very energetic and enthusiastic, both great traits for villains.
This is also why they make for good "sporty girl" archetypes.

Crash is set in a ficitional set of islands off the coast of Australia. Basically every animal character featured is native to Australia.
>Bandicoot (naturally)
>Kangaroo (Ripper Roo)
>Koala (Koala Kong)
>Potoroo (Pinstripe)
>Thylacine (Tiny)
>Dingo/Crocodile (Dingodile)

Basically the only evolved animal characters that aren't Australian are the Komodo Bros, and even then their native islands aren't that far from Australia

>and Perth

>Ten million for each
>Six million for Perth

In the TF2 comics, saxton hale is arguably the main character or at least one of them. (It depends on the issue)

In one of the tf2 comics a woman bribes someone to build a machine that will make someone immortal and her pay would be a valuable material called australium. In later comics, hale and australium are antagonized, which to me makes them seem more like the victims instead of villains.

Are Perth jokes the Australian equivalent of Spokane or Peoria jokes?

Hey man, you want to preserve your fish with lye be our guest but being a wet blanket AND not having any money is going to get you sent to a god forsaken land of nothing surrounded by savages.

I mean in retrospect they made it work but it was also because they had nowhere to go. Spaniards who came first had a home to go back to, the French trappers were too much loners to really build anything really permanent. The people pushed to the edge of the world with no home and nothing but an expectation to first pay shareholders and maybe not die were the ones who thrived.

Western Australia, the entire left third of the country, is the Aus equivalent to a "fly-over" state. Lots of blue collar workers and rather conservative. Perth is the capital city there and is the second most isolated city in the world. Nearest city is 2,130 km (1,324 miles) away.

The rest of Australia either treats it as a cash cow, or that one cousin that you only invite to family gatherings because you're expected to.

I live there.

Because wildlife make for better set pieces than just modern city. Same reason for most places set in Africa being the jungle.

Could be worse.

You could be in Hobart and have to spend every day fighting off the Tasmanian mutants.

True enough. I'm pretty sure even Ethiopia has some pretty modern cities these days.

And most of the middle east did too before half of it started exploding.

They're also sort of the Texas of Australia because they have a habit doing things separately from the rest of the country and they have threatened to secede multiple times (hell, originally they didn't even want to join the Commonwealth, the first plan for federation included New Zealand but not Western Australia).

What's the most isolated city in the world?

>"sporty girl" archetypes.
Ah had to

Tasmania gets GST money though, and they can fuck their sisters without being looked at funny

Auckland, NZ. It beats Perth by just a fraction

Yeah. Pretty good comparison

>without being looked at funny
But Tasmanian's are always funny looking.

And since they're all funny looking, they don't look at each other funny.

You've a continent of criminal descendants. I wouldn't know why.

There is no conceivable reason for an Australian to appear outside of Australia in a cartoon, so when they do they must be up to something.

TASMANIAN Tiger.

Saxton Hale is too pure for this bureaucratic world.

Remember when Australia used to be cool?

No

Yeah, Me niether.

>Because Australia was a prison where criminals were sent to live

That goes for pretty much all british colonies though,, including the US. They were prison camps where they sent their undesirables to die and to decompose for the Empire.

>but Americans were not literally convicts being forced away as punishment

But that's wrong and you are retarded.

Hale was never a villain.

Biggest shitposting group on Sup Forums is Aussies. Think about that for a sec.

False, some of the American colonists were criminals, but some were like the Quakers fleeing religious persecution in England.

Absolutely everyone sent to Australia was a criminal though, it's why they are human scum.

>tfw burger thinking about becoming a Aussie or Kiwi
How is the weather year-round?

user, the king literally asked the Virginia company to spirit away all the street urchins that were clogging up his courtyard at one point. The first colonies literally were prison camps for human refuse, no different from Australia.

>but some were like the Quakers fleeing religious persecution in England.

Yeah, they were levelers. Many of them ended up in the colonies, the Quakers just arrived free of bondage as they had paid&organized their own passage. Good riddance, as far as London was concerned.

wait a fucking sec
is Colgrave an Aussie?

Honestly I'm surprised America isn't more fucked up as a nation today since it was literally founded by criminals, entrepreneurs betting the last of their savings on risky ventures, indentured servants(slaves), actual slaves, religious fanatics(Quakers, Separatists, and other extremist Christian sects that literally nowhere else would tolerate), and poorfags who were conned into crossing the Atlantic with promises of a better life and more opportunity by their governments.

NINE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS

>and other extremist Christian sects that literally nowhere else would tolerate)

Honestly, many of the people that were banished to North America on grounds of religion were chill people who were banished for defending the commons against predatory and violent privatization, for antislavery activity and for trying to create a more equal and just society in Great Britain.

There were a lot of Germans who came here because they supported republican politics in their home country.

Cromwell was a prick and the Commonwealth was a Puritan dystopia, fuck you for defending those roundhead assholes.

>implying junkrat isn't best boy

really fucking hot

They make a good sweatshop for American productions thought.

youtube.com/watch?v=v8QwORKfT9w