In case you forgot, Cartoon Network RUINED Steven Universe

In case you forgot, Cartoon Network RUINED Steven Universe
It would be the greatest show the network ever put out if Rebecca Sugar was completely in charge

Normally I love seeing "what could've been" but the fact that we got robbed of this version of the cluster is just sad.

Well, shit that's awesome.

I'm planning on getting the art book day one but I feel like I'm just going to hate Cartoon Network more every time I turn the page

Oh fug

It doesn't really fit with the plot, though, considering it's standing on an Earth.

That's probably just the beginning stages of its formation

Wow, is all this from the artbook? Glad I reserved it.

Hey, you never know, someday she might reboot the whole this for a older audience.

what is it with Sugar and her fucking jeans fetish?

>this could have been the cluster

I am so done with western animation god damn.

>I'm just going to hate Cartoon Network
you should of hated them for years.

Peal would of been a hot dude.

Huh. Well I like conceptual Peridot's design a lot more.

But I'm bias towards characters with one giant fist. I don't know why I like that aesthetic. I blame Hellboy.

What? We know what Pearl looked like

Adult Swim Reboot when?

Considering the only other precedent...fifteen years after it ends.
See you in 2040

At that point in development it was probably just a typical giant monster, as badass as it looks. Maybe it was "giant monster incubating in the core that will soon wake up, tunnel to the surface and wreak havoc and destruction" instead of just destroying the Earth from the inside from its sheer size. Although I wonder how they would have beaten it.

> 21st Century
> People don't have scanners yet

Why are you blaming CN for this? Didn't Rebecca decide against these early concepts? I'm sure execs cut some things but not all

Nah, the art was simplified so it would be quicker and cheaper for the Koreans to draw.

That's just a reality of the industry.

Is that concept Peridot? Damn.

>rose mark on her head
WHAT DID SHE MEAN BY THIS?!?!?!?!

but all of those concepts are from rebecca sugar. so no,not really.
And keep in mind, these concepts are great, but not for the type of show SU is. These are designs for a post-apocalyptic magical weird show, set in a he man type world but with girls and without silly costumes.
The pilot is a great example on why the art style wouldnt have worked. The intro is the most metal shit ever, and the plot is just "kid fucks up after playing with time to annoy his friend".
Trust me, you would be getting the exact same show, except with this weird art style that would make it look jarring.

The show would need three times the budget to have designs half that complicated in motion

these where posted by a SU artist who got the book, nyong. Thing is, shes from japan, and i guess its available there but not in the US yet. She/He doesnt want to publish everything scanned so people can buy the art book later.
Check in a month and a half and /sug/ will find a complete scanned version.

this.
in any case, the art would be amazing for a comic. But steven universe isnt a comic.
thats cool as fuck,but it wouldnt make sense for a being thats trapped on earth. Maybe from an earlier concept, where instead of fighting malechite, alexandrite fought the cluster. But if it was like that, then the whole peridot redemption arc would be useless because the whole point was stopping it from emerging.
Also, i would hate to see THIS desing be saved by the power of friendship.

>the art would be amazing for a comic.
Now I'm imagining Steven universe by James Stokoe

How did we go from this...

>implying it wouldnt have happened either way but with a different art style

To THIS?

To be fair, James Stokoe drawing anything is amazing.

TO THIS?!

She didn't make it you fucking idiots, she only made the designs, it was done by a man.

TO THIS!?

To... this?

>POST YFW YOU NOTICED ITS CLEAVAGE

TO THIS?!!

TO THIS?!

>She didn't make the designs, she just made the designs

So?

retard

Weren't all of the things in this thread changed for budgetary/pragmatic reasons?

Isn't that exactly OP's point?

He's making it sound like a case of executive meddling. Executive meddling is when the network has a different creative vision. It's not when they're simply not made of cash.

>the cluster could have been this
>it's just some fucking talking colored moon

Is Cartoon Network not made of cash? If anything I would say it's a case of executives being cheap.

TO THIS!?

The Cluster taking form would have destroyed the Earth, it never could have been that

TO THIS

This is the most incomprehensible post I've ever read nothing he said makes any sense

She was good even then

TO THIS!?!?!?

>unique artstyles are bad
this way of thinking is why we have things like teen titans go
fuck you user
FUCK YOU

You're assuming that the Cluster destroying the Earth just by taking form was some ironclad, etched in stone thing and that the scenario couldn't have been different in the conceptual stage. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the entire Cluster scenario we got was a result of them having to operate within the budget.

No, Steven Universe already was on track to be one of the greatest shows they'd ever done, before the quality tanked in S3 and S4.

Which was the fault of the 'crew' itself.

Hiatus is much worst. They are too lazy to make some eps. People are waiting for MONTHS. What a shame

Damn that's metal as fuck.

And maybe if Rebecca hadn't blown the budget in hiring pop singers and Broadway actresses for the cast, she would've had the money to.

I have hope it's because Sugar and others (producers) have come down on the 'crew' to keep such utterly, objectively shit episodes as all the pure filler in S3/S4 from happening again now that they've moved into a new stage of the overarching plot.

That's not how it works user, art budgets and talent budgets are separate.

We seen such hiatuses many times and gap grows by constant. I hope they will end show already. Its a paint to wait so long.

They had Guy Davis designing gem monsters for the show and they didn't use his work? Fuck 'em.

i didnt say that you retard. im just saying it would look bad on the type of show they wanted to make. The pilot was garbage

how do you know its guy davis?

elaborate retard. because im pretty sure what i said is crystal fucking clear.
bitch please. have you seen the quality of CN shows? Its not just SU,all of their cartoons are low budget.

i dont know. i think that concept art is what it would look like fully formed. So this design was in case they wanted to make a fight scene with it.
In any case,budget wasnt the reason for the bubble.

The worst part of this show is how good it could have been

With cn budget? No its not. They need money for many action scenes. They still have no really fight eps anly trade hits a bit. Sugar choised the best alternative

>Skinny Garnet
And into the trash it goes

How is that skinny

Her thighs don't even touch, that's fucking disgusting

It's his style. He did some designs for Lion, too.

I wonder if he knew that Lion was just going to be a Lion.

That's fucking grotesque

Pilot Pearl was Micheal Jackson?

Even knowing what it's supposed to be I'm not into it

It kinda looks like it's coming out of the ground rather than being fully formed.
I imagine this idea of the cluster would be that the form would reach out from the Earth through cracks or some shit and take that kind of fucked up form.

That said, we're still CERTAINLY going to see a harmonious, fully formed Cluster later on.
They'll find a way to get it out of the planet safely and it'll take on a less abomination form because it had all that time to talk to and get to know itself.

At least now we have the source for the first sillhouette Pearl took on when forming way back in the early episodes.
Now people can stop holding onto it for theory shit.

Reminds me of chinese temple lion statues. If the temple was conceptualized by this point I imagine he was probably trying to compliment the eastern deity vibe it has. It would make sense if Lion was a construct made to guard the temple. Although it's a bit much, yeah.

I ain't complainin'

I'm almost certain there's a sketch of the temple by the same artist so I think you're right

>Cartoon Network RUINED Steven Universe
I think they saved us from some bad designs.

Yeah, it's ugly as fuck, but the monster designs are cool. You wouldn't hire Guy Davis to draw monsters if you didn't really want them to be monstrous.

So did anyone like the pilot? Because that pilot had the same art style and it fucking sucked.
I love steven universe, but if i was in charge on 2013 and i saw the pilot, i would never greenlit that shit.

These just look like the Cal Arts version of Lovecraft and Dr Seuss. Sugar trying to copy them only makes them look uglier. Btw Sugar is still a retarded family name.

Ah so we were going to have fat human Steven, his indian geek girlfriend, potato faces, fatlards, dog ears and sexual ambigous Pearl anyway.

No thanks. I think my version or anyone else's version would have made for an infinitely better Adventure Time for girls. (and AT is still shit)

Princess Amethyst was what we would have gotten instead of AT, RS and SU if somebody killed these talentless hacks before 2010.

retard

I saw the pilot way back whenever it was first released, and it's 100% the reason I resisted giving the show a chance for so long. That pilot was godawful.

are you the princes's amethyst creator or something, because you sound salty as fuck.
And why a cupcake cat?

>CalArts

I'm still mad we never got a show based on those Princess Amethyst shorts, looked amazing.

It had the designs from the art book, and it was still awful. It proves that the art wouldnt have made for a better show.