Why isn't there a comic character with King Crimson's powers?

Why isn't there a comic character with King Crimson's powers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S09mEDCqSx4
youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4a1rehadY
youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2D7ohWos0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How would it work?

dr manhattan

Read more comics and you'd find there are.

Ones who can erase time? I've seen time-stoppers, time-accelerators, and time-reversers, but I've never seen a time-erasing character. Any examples?

There is. His name is King Crimson, from the popular Japanese comic, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Perhaps you've heard of it?

No point, he would job to Batman or Spiderman if a bad guy. If he is a good guy, writers will make him job to make Batman or Spiderman look good.

>manga
>comics
If they're the same, then why are Sup Forums and Sup Forums separate boards, huh?

Western comics are more about punching things or other forms of physical attack. Basically Stardust Crusaders era stands.

Western comics wouldn't be able to handle powers that go full Jojo. Abilities like King Crimson are hard enough to keep track of when its written by the guy who came up with the idea. Can you imagine how big a clusterfuck that would be if King Crimson had 20 years of screentime, having been written by a hundred different writers? They would never keep it straight.

Like, fuck. Flash just has the power of "goes fast", and comics still can't consistently agree how fast he goes.

Because comics have enough cancer to deal with. Fuck off with your Jojo faggotry.

>Time erasing

Closest I can think of would be the Demons 3 from the Silver Age Justice League. Felix Faust started a process that unleashed them millions of years into the future and when they got out they started to replace the futuristic world they awoke in with ancient Akkad by copy+pasting the past onto the future. The result was a time barrier that prevented Superman from taking himself and the justice league back into the past (because the past was currently being placed over the present you see).

So I guess that's close enough.

He's making a facetious comment about how anime and mangos creep into Sup Forums.

>Western comics are about punching things or other forms of physical attack

Boy are you wrong. Read the Grant Morrison or Gardner Fox JLA. They dealt with abstract reality manipulation bullshit all the time. Rarely was anything ever solved by just "yell harder to summon my ki and think of my friends and punch a little harder". You're thinking of shonen mangos.

>They would never keep it straight

This is true. It's why Dr. Destiny went from a reality manipulating scientist who could make anything even inside dreams to Freddy Krueger years before Freddy Krueger.

>Like, fuck. Flash just has the power of "goes fast", and comics still can't consistently agree how fast he goes.

thats what happens when you let like 40 people write a book over 60 years.

Any mid-to-high-tier cosmic has his powerset and more.

Because both anime and comic fans are notorious for being petty elitists who refuse to acknowledge the value in competing mediums due to a reactive inferiority complex mixed in with general tribe mentality.

...can you say that in English please?

I got your back, user.

Both anime and comic fans think our stuff is the best, even though both anime and comics are cool sometimes. Some of that probably comes from hanging around people who like the same things we do and the fact that we aren't able to accept that sometimes our thing is worse than the other,sometimes.

What is it with Jojo villains and time?

The creator said something in an interview about time being one of the most terrifying and powerful things to control. That the main bad guy should outclass most if not all of the guys who came before, and have a power that is threatening. Time powers do those things pretty well.

What were King Crimson's powers, again?

It's the ultimate roadblock, meaning only the heroes' guile and unexpected twists (sometimes asspulls) can win the day.

It's the one thing you can't beat.
Why do you think Kira got a rewind? Bombs alone was too easy.

If you control time you basically control everything that is affected by time (i.e. Everything)

Who would win in a fight between DIO and Akemi Homura?

Erases causes but leaves effects.
Prove me wrong.

That's uh...that's pretty accurate now that i think about it. well done.

Depends, can Homura stop time for longer than ten seconds, and can she take a few hits from a roided out vampire? If so, i'd give it to Homura, cause she'd probably out do him just like Jotaro did.

Doesn't make sense. Diavalo uses King Crimson to avoid bullet impacts. If KC worked like you said it did, what would happen is
>guy shoots at Diavalo
>activates KC
>KC erases the act of shooting the bullet
>effect still remain
>Diavalo still is shot in the head
doesn't match up

Effects are null on Diavolo because he becomes a ghost in the erased time, so it's not that simple.

See

I always thought that King Crimson was just The Hand but with time? So he just swipes away at a section of time and the parts he didn't swipe at just click together as if there was nothing there. I can see why comic writers never tried this concept because comic writers are all about writing situations with direct outcomes and they usually write, even if they put up random obstacles the hero is always going to win because his powers are perfect for the situation and they're always perfect for the situation but manga artists will write a situation were the character has to use their power in a creative way or in a way that may not seem useful at the time but will come up later and save them from a worse scenario. King Crimson does this very well because he has Epitaph which can see into the future and his base power which erases time making it so that he can foresee any danger and then erase that danger from the time stream once it happens the only way to defeat him is to use Gold Experience Requiem which reduces all values to 0 a seemingly specific power to have but it ends up being used in an unexpected but useful way

Guys listen to me.

Time erasure isn't the main power of King Crimson, but rather a 「side effect.」

I believe King Crimson's power is something like 「intangibility」 but with time rather than space. He creates a state where he is not affected by time (read: affected by 「fate」) so he can move independantly from the proper 「course」 of time. Once the limit is reached and the state is cancelled, time 「compresses」, joining the two points where things are working properly in a natural effort of the universe to eliminate the 「paradox」, quite similar to how it does with space when The Hand uses its ability.

That is how King Crimson works.

>Depends, can Homura stop time for longer than ten seconds, and can she take a few hits from a roided out vampire?
youtube.com/watch?v=S09mEDCqSx4

Dial H
Limited series from DC Comics recently.

The Centipede.
Awesome villain from the series.

So he's a human centipede?

DIO DINDU NUFFIN

>The Hand but with time

This, but Araki flubbed on some logical outcomes of the ability like so people have to furiously headcanon to make King Crimson "work".

The fact is he's pretty inconsistent and fans have to invent flowcharts to make it all work.

>Mango characters have to use their powers in creative ways or in a way that may not seem useful at the time but will come up later and save them from a worse scenario
>Comics don't do this

Are you high or do you not read a lot of comics? Because superheroes do what you've described all the damn time.

>Grant Morrison's time centipede as a superhero

BASED

>Gate of Rocket Launchers

Holy fuck man. I love Jojo, and have never really seen Madoka. But as long as she can take maybe a hit or two, it looks like she'd fucking destroy Dio.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4a1rehadY

She's pretty good at taking or avoiding hits, and I'm pretty sure she can stop time for an absurd amount of "relative" time.

The simplest explanation is that it resets time to give Divalo an advantage.

For example, Divalo gets shot. King Crimson resets time so that Divalo doesn't get shot. While time is being reset, Divalo can move around freely and do whatever he likes

>2017
>not having watched Madoka
you need to lurk for at least 2 years before posting, boyo

Well that settles that then, good talk mate.

I know, i am a filthy casual. I just keep forgetting. Please forgive me.

No. You will cease being a normalfag immediately.

As a Meguca, as long as her soul gem is intact Dio can tear her in half and its a nonlethal injury. Dio will almost certainly not know this, meaning the first time he 'kills' Homura it will probably not stick.

On top of that, Homura has a power Dio does not: time travel. The moment she feels she cant win this fight, she can go back in time a month with memories intact.

That, if used, could theoretically let her get the drop on Dio by ambushing him with future knowledge.

None of this ensures her the win, obviously. Dio is no joke. But I think she has enough aces up her sleeve to fight him on roughly even terms.

That's what i'm saying, Homura, from what i've seen, outclasses Jotaro, who beat Dio with a relatively simple plan. I'm firmly convinced that she would win. She's got more power, more time to plan, an extra life, and more fire power. Sounds like a pretty open and shut case to me.

time erasing, you say?

DIO isn't a nigger, user.

However, Dio-sama did nothing wrong and then they ruined his life for no reason.

>The Hand but with time

That's actually probably the best way I've seen it put.

Thanos has been shown several times to exist outside of fate. It allows him as a mere mortal to interact with (and muddle with) Cosmic-level beings, to some degree he is out of their direct control, out of their predictability range.

When you take a cosmic being like Eternity or the Living Tribunal by surprise, you're pretty darn potent.

Most people who've read the manga several times over and played the games can't even tell you what King Crimson's powers are.

So that's probably why.

Don't worry, user, the retranslation of Part 5 will make everything clear

It's because Araki had no fucking clue on what to do with King Crimson, so his powers are ridiculously inconsistent.

Like how Diavolo can't interact with other people during erased time except when he can.

No, user. You are the faggot.

Parts 3 and 5 in particular have the most batshit inconsistencies in power levels.
Even when he retconned Gold Experience's powers to be weaker it still ended up being by far the strongest stand a main character would have until MAYBE Soft&Wet.

That said, King Crimson still makes no fucking sense. At first it just comes off like The World only he can stop time for an unlimited amount of time and he can see the future for 10 seconds. Then there's crazy shit like him making you punch your own future self?
How the fuck does it work?

>Retconned Gold Experience Requiem

What did he do?

And then John was a homosexual.

Not Requiem, Gold Experience itself. There's loads of stuff early on that doesn't show up later.

Most notably, when he creates the frog that Leaky-Eyes Luca kills and transfers the damage to Luca himself. Araki realized that Giorno could have just made fucking ants all the time and had enemies step on them and meatsplode so it never shows up again.

King Crimson Abilities:

Resets time by erasing specific events.

While time is being reset Divalo can move around and counter attack.

Allows Divalo to see potential futures(?).Limited to what could happen in 10 seconds(?).

Redirect enemy attacks to future versions of themselves(?)

This is probably the best explanation I have for KC's abilities.

Sup Forums came first, being one of the original boards of Sup Forums. Sup Forums was created a few years after Sup Forums began. It's far too late for any merging, rearranging, and whatnot of the boards' subjects to do any good; they're better off on their own as they are

So GER is still Araki's greatest lame as fuck plot device?

Nobody can defend GER. People just accept that Araki is a crazy writer who throws away some logic and consistency so cool shit can happen.

Definitely. the strange irony of Part 5 is that, wall-to-wall it is almost constantly filled with what are consistently the best fights in the series, only for the actual last battle with the main villain to be the worst fight in the whole thing.

Part 6 had the opposite problem where most of the fights are absolutely atrocious and the main villain is the only thing to look forward to.

It didn't help things that Diavolo was perhaps the weakest villain Araki's ever written.

The real shame is that the current best Part, Steel Ball Run, has the best Villain of the Week fights AND the best final battle, but some of the least creative stands in the series outside of Tusk and D4C.

Most of the Stands in Part 7 are purposeful rehashes of previous ones though, to be fair.

That said, much like in Part 4, the other best Part, the power levels stay consistent throughout and every villain feels like someone they could actually defeat without asspulls.
compare with Part 3 where Vanilla Ice has what is clearly the strongest Stand that has ever existed in the series but jobs to fucking Polnareff.

Clearly you need to read more comics user

Abusing Vanilla Ice's temper and irrational loyalty won them that fight. That and the fact that he's blind and has to be careful not to fuck absolutely everything when attacking. Otherwise they would have been fucked, no question.

>SBR
>Uncreative stands

>Oh! Lonesome Me
>Scary Monsters
>Cream Starter
>Catch the Rainbow
>Sugar Mountain Springs
>Wrecking Ball (not a stand but whatever)

I'm just gonna stop there because honestly most of the stands in SBR are pretty creative. That doesn't necessarily make them good or interesting, though I would argue that a lot of them are, but they're certainly very creative I would say.

No part can beat out Stardust Crusaders for most boring and uncreative stands imo

I guess a better way to put it is that they're way more physical based. They're the closest Jojo has ever gotten to straight up superpowers rather than weird rule bound curses attached to
Punchghosts.

>Vanilla Ice has what is clearly the strongest Stand
He was also a fucking vampire and had all the weaknesses of one, which ended up being exploited to beat him. And he also took out Iggy, Vanilla Ice was definitely no jobber.

>rather than weird rule bound curses attached to punchghosts.
Chocolate Disco, Wired, Love Train and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap say hello.

God I hate manga 'powers'

It's always absolute bullshit like causality reversal, variable manipulation, etc. etc. Every single shounen has some character that can rewrite existence. Even fucking Naruto has Izanagi and they're just about a bunch of ninjas.

How any of these people lose is beyond me.

This. He didn't want to wreck too much of Dio's place s he had to peek. That being said anytime he stuck his head out of Cream he was asking to be killed.

Chocolate Disco was such a cool stand. I wish a main character could have something like that.

See thats something to appreciate about Jojo. The powers are all incredibly grounded and varied. Araki values giving abilities with wide, dangerous scope to main villains, and even then they are incredibly conditional and specific in their applications. Everyone agrees King Crimson is more bullshit than usual. Araki is a lot more creative than a lot of typical manga artists. His series is the single most popular and successful series in Japan for a reason.

>It's always some OP bullshit

Superhero comics have it even worse.

You handle it like you would magic spells in an RPG setting. You make rules and loopholes that people can use to get at people with OP powers.

Whats the Sup Forums equivalent of this?
youtube.com/watch?v=Jm2D7ohWos0

>All incredibly grounded
Are you for real? What the hell is grounded about ZA WARUDO and magic Jesus fetus curtain that transfers attack damage to random people?

>Single most popular and successful series in Japan for a reason

Seriously? I don't think JoJo is pulling in the DBZ or One Piece dollars user.

SPEEEEEEEEEDFOOOOOOOOOORCE

Jojo is a label people aren't going to touch unless they know they are going to handle it well in Japan, leading to it not having a lot of side content besides its 30 year running manga and some video games, as well as a very recent anime adaptation. DBZ and One Piece are younger and more exposed outside to the west while Jojo is actually only now reaching out to outside audience. It's huge as fuck in japan.

Also what's so fucking hard to comprehend about 10 second time stops and the corpse of jesus giving people super powers. Valentine was seeking to get all parts of the corpse so he could gain the ability to deflect misfortune away from the entire country, making it perfect and without problem.

I won't argue with you on that. However, I will say that the non-giorno fights in part 5 are worth the Giorno fights.

The best fight in Part 5 is a Giorno fight. White Album might be the best JoJo fight period.

Sounds like he has the Eobard Thawne seal of approval.

I mean, not ALL the time.
Just, like, 70% of it.

I don't agree at all. Even just your pic makes sense. Lantern energy is perfectly limited and it could essentially be considered a creation power on par with a god. Meanwhile, that power in a manga would be able to create an entire reality or some shit.

The Flash has one of the most broken powers that a big name character has, access to the Speedforce, and he mostly just uses it for time travel. Even he doesn't have the ability to ignore causation.

White Album is a Mista fight, though.

I guess. It's a co-op fight.

The other best fight in Part 5 is Kraftwerk though which yet again is based Mista at work. He is the best character in Part 5 after all.

>10 second time stop
because it's not time stopping, it's time erasure. The power isn't simple about breaking physics, it's about breaking reality.

>not Bruno

The average western superpower
>Super strong but weak to energy blasts

The average nippon superpower
>When activated, the caster removes the boundaries between reality and illusion within their personal space. To a degree this allows the user to control their state of existence, but it is normally active for only the briefest of moments.[3] At the same time, in the anime, a highly skilled user of this ability can expand Izanagi's range beyond one's personal reality, able to affect a large area and the people within it during the technique's activation.[4]

>Although the target remains physically real while fighting, this technique is capable of turning any occurrence including injuries and even death inflicted upon them, as long as the technique is active, into mere "illusions." Whenever the user receives a fatal injury, he or she will automatically fade away before returning back to reality; physically real and unscathed. The process is explained to have initially involved the administration of imagination, and the spiritual energy which forms the basis of Yin chakra to create shape and form from nothingness. Then, through the application of vitality, and the physical energy which forms the basis of Yang chakra to breathe life into the prior form.

But while he's erasing time he seems to have unlimited time to move around while he sees everything as frozen.
Bruno has to settle for second best even though his Stand is one of my favorites in the whole series. The pure "fuck you I can take more bullets than you can" machismo of Mista's fights is just too awesome to ignore.

Bruno's first fight with Davolo was pretty good too. It gave us this gem.
Probably the best out of context panel ever.

note also that the guy with the second power lost in one episode to a single other dude who was also a teenager

King Crimson is hard to actually understand but complaining about The World not being realistic is fucking dumb, it's a superpower you need some suspension of disbelief. Grounded probably isn't a good word for jojo. The powers aren't typical Water beats fire shit, "mine is stronger than yours" shit. They're unconventional and creative. Big bads get the OP time shit and even then they are handled pretty well.

It's not about being realistic. The power is so utterly fucking broken that beating it just isn't even reasonable to believe within fiction. You have to consume so much bullshit to even believe that this guy is a threat that anyone can deal with.

His time stop isn't spammable as it actually damages him to use for too long at once, it would likely kill a non vampire. A fuck ton of characters in fiction are strong enough to handle The World's strength and deal with time stopping every so often for 10 seconds, it's not that broken, read more comics. In the realm of Jojo, yeah it's broken as fuck, it's supposed to be, Jotaro had to pull some shit and get lucky not to get 1HKO'd in time for his ability to fully manifest.

Come on, Kira's defeat made perfect sense and Valentine's demise was the perfect logical conclusion to an entire season's worth of character development.

Silver Age Green Lantern was OP as fuck, my dude. And in one story, his ring had created a world inside of it, funny enough.

I don't know who that is because I'm not a retarded weeb.