Shelf/Recent Purchases Thread

Post your shelves, recent purchases/hauls, and news about new comics.

Don't know where to buy? Try these:
amazon.com/
instocktrades.com/
[your local comic shop here]

Are you Euro or UK and don't know where you buy? Try these:
cheap-comics.com (EU)
archonia.com/comicshop/en/ (EU)
speedyhen.com (UK)
bookdepository.com (free worldwide shipping but known to manhandle books)

New list of things out next week:
comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/next-week

Here's my manga/non-Marvel stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

cadencecomicart.com/art.php?page=32110
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

here's my Marvel stuff

Just stopped by my old LCS to do a dent on their clearance section.
They practically GIVE IT AWAY at only $2-3 for whole trades.

1/4

Latest haul from instocktrades. I bought Akira vol 5 but was told it was out of stock when the package arrived, so they're going to send me a copy with free shipping as soon as they get more in.

Some of these I'm just getting cause "eh it's only $3 tops" others I feel like I've found a $20 on the ground kinda good luck finding.

2/4

I ordered the following in the past few weeks:
DC One Million omnibus, Showcase Presents Challengers Of The Unknown Vol. 1-2, We3, Jack Kirby's OMAC, Starman omnibus Vol. 4-6, Showcase Presents Amethyst, and all four trades of the Death/Return Of Superman.
One order should be here soon, and the other hasn't shipped yet.

Also got X-statix 1-26 almost all NM for a really good price recently

Noticed now my shitty picture taking cut off the fact that Bloody Mary is by Garth Ennis. Which is prolly why I grabbed it since hey even at his worst he's worth buying at fast food burger prices.

3/4

And 4/4

Is that the recent Nighthawk series, or an older mini?

>Enigma
My man. I got all the floppies for super cheap a few months back, still need to read it though.

I seriously wish I had a good lcs where I live. We have two real ones in town but both are awful. One is the size of a shipping container and the other cares more about cards and table top stuff. We have another one which is an Entertainmart but the manager of that section blows.

I own both OMAC and Amethyst, and while I don't hate either of them I'd honestly say you might wanna reconsider.

OMAC isn't Kirby's best, and is nothing like modern versions of OMAC/Brother Eye if that is what you are familiar with or prefer. It's still an enjoyable few stories but they're like Mission Impossible or The Fast & The Furious levels of enjoyment (where it it is a casual skim through as time waster and feel kinda satisfied). If ya wanna get it just to own something by Kirby you can prolly do better.

As for Amethyst, the problem is the lack of color. Usually I feel fine of getting more story for my buck, but Amethyst is prolly best when colored. I mean everyone is gem themed and are meant to have their colors differentiate one another.
I remember reading the book, getting to the colorless cover page that they use for the Showcase cover, stopping to look at the book cover fully colored and going "this is like realizing that you've been having sex the whole time wearing an extra thick rubber".

It was storytimed on Sup Forums maybe bought a year back when I read it.
It's a Neal Gaiman's Sandman level of trippy.

Says inside 2016 so I'm assuming most recent run.
I simply grabbed cause WHYNOT.

Sorry meant to specify Mission Impossible 2

This my latest recent purchases

How thicc is that Dredd book?

Got this the other day in the mail, by far the biggest book I own.

About equal to the first case file, just over 300 pages of rough paper

It's not super thick but it's a damn lot for only 5-6 page stories

It fit full run?

It's all of Johns Teen Titans, plus the Beast Boy mini and a couple extra issues. (Infinite Crisis 5 and 6, Robin 147, and Outsides 24 and 25.)

And it came with a free half-dollar?!
That's just DC going the extra mile.

Nah but seriously that sounds great. I have kept up with TT since N52 cause WHYNOT and have hated it. But I usually love Johns' work so maybe this could be the TT related thing I get.

Latest purchases. The Araki book was cool, but doesn't focus enough on his artistic process for me. Though the pages that show his thumbnails made me laugh.

How is YA Doom Patrol?

This is the first Johns' work I've read and the only other TT I've read is the Judas Contract, but so far I'm really enjoying this. (Bout 20 issues in I think.)

I've only read an issue or two so far. I picked it up because I've seen Derington's art on twitter and love it. The book is a love letter/homage/rip-off of Morrison's run but if you like that it's great. It also has amazing colors.

Also the YA trade dress is fantastic

On mobile right now.
Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes Vol 1 arrived on friday. I'm not too happy with it, binding is kind of funny but it will ptobably hold. It's hailes in the book itself as a successor of the archive editions but the paper and binding are way worse and there are no extras, no foreword, nothing. Just 4 pencilled pages in the back and that's it. And if I hadn't pre-ordered it I would have had to have paid €50for it now.
Anyway I ordered Supergirl: Death and the family, Supergirl: Who is Superwoman, Supergirl:Friends &Fugitives (to have New Krypton finally completed), Dial H deluxe edition, Larfleeze 1&2 + Threshold (all 3 used) and S.H.I.E.L.D.: The complete Omnibus (from amazon warehouse deals) yesterday

That sounds good to me. I like Morrison's run. The colors do look pretty nice from your image. I'll probably pick it up in my next order.

Yeah theres a reason it was so cheap man.... yikes.

hopefully something in the pile is good though

>How is YA Doom Patrol?

I like it alot,even with only knowing basic info about the characters... I've wanted to read Morrisons Doom Patrol and will at some point, but I had no problem getting a grasp of what was going on.

And the art is really great.

Akira is a eternal favorite for me and Uzumaki too though Gyo was good, it wasn't so good to be one of my favorites, but yes, it was interesting for a while. Good collection

reposting my haul from last thread

A Junji Ito fan

I've read OMAC before and enjoyed it. I actually have an issue of that and an issue of Kamandi from my uncle's childhood collection still tucked away in my room. It's just something I've never remembered to get previously, so I threw it in on my last order.
As far as Amethyst goes, it's the only collection the series is going to get. I have scans to read in color, and if I can find the singles for a low enough price, I may eventually get them as well. But, unfortunately, a lot of older DC runs I enjoy that aren't your A/B-listers won't get much better than a now-out-of-print Showcase. Shazam is much the same in that sense. I'd love to have all that in color, but it's just not in the cards.
Thanks for the thought, though. Good looking out.

I've read Enigma, Fanboy, and Ei8ht before (as well as that part of Saga I think).
I know for sure those first three are good enough to have at full price, so I consider the other 20 icing on the cake.

Prolly true and sad.
But who knows, maybe someone will greenlight a Amythest straight to DVD animated movie and their expectations of good feedback will make them release the older stuff in a fat omnibus or large paperback trades like Perez WW just got recently.

Damn, you really went all out there. How much did that cost?

Good God you win the lottery or you choose those over rent?

Recently picked up the Waid Daredevil, Fraction FF, Spider-Man's Tangled Web, and the last volume of the KH II Manga

1/2

Damn phones and their rotating-ness

Graduation money!

I broke my own rule of not buying anything until I got caught up on reading what I already have but I bought paper girls, local comic shop was having %20 off of image stuff

good god thats a lot of omnis....and all Marvel.. yeeugh

Yeah I'm in a situation like that as well, I keep picking up my pulls but I haven't kept up with my reading, shits getting out of hand.

I can never understand how some people are actually able to pull off nice shelves like this.
I mean the patience and the budget to have entire runs matching and these big beautiful omnibuses and even a bit of space for nice little figures.

Meanwhile, mine looks like the book section of a garage sale or thrift store with varying sizes and types and hundreds of stories ALL OVER THE PLACE that makes figuring out my tastes is like trying to figure out what kinda music I like as I turn a knob back and forth on an old FM radio.

LOL I did something similar with my graduation money, too.
Work finding was slow so I looked up comics on Craigslist on a whim and contacted a guy.
Ended up spending $150 I shouldn't be wasting, but it prolly $300-400 worth of trades he was giving away.

He even threw in extra stuff cause I didn't try to negotiate down the price and I was the only person who seemed to be reasonable.

How's the quality of the Mark Waid Daredevil omnibus?

Fill shelves out completely so that the books stand erect, cover-to-cover. Also pull the spines of all your books to the edge of your shelves, uniformity looks tidy.

Thanks user, I hope you enjoy what you like too

Funnily enough, it might help that my only LCBS overcharges out the ass, so there's no real hope for me looking around at the bargain bin to see what interests me, my only friends are eBay, IST and Amazon.

In terms of writing, this is the best part of the run, IIRC it starts getting really hit or miss later on. In terms of binding and whatnot, very little gutter loss. Paper's a little thin, but not enough that I ever felt like I was going to rip anything. For $40 on IST it's a steal.

I bought this from Doc Shaner a few weeks back.

I feel like unless you read that story (and even then recognized what it was from) you could only make a WILD guess that it's young Hal Jordan.

I hope it shows you comic friends their true colors if they recognize it. Shit looks tight.

Nice one, not familiar with the story but Shaner is great

I rarely see original art pickups in these threads. I've bought way too much to post and I'm far too inebriated but some highlights;

>JP Leon splash from Nu52 Detective Comics
>Artyom Trakhanov Turncoat cover
>Dave Johnson The Spectre cover
>Goran Parlov Nick Fury commission

To name a few. The only thing holding me back from buying more original art is the simple lack of space haha

Given that issue and how awesome it is.. that page in itself... is fucking perfect if you had to pick just one.

I mostly read mignola stuff so I have to ask why do people not like Ennis? Is he the same guy that wrote preacher? I liked preacher but if it's the same guy I haven't read his other works. Just wondering why Sup Forums doesn't like him

People tend to hate on him because most of his stuff although very good is also very aggressive and edgy... then you add on the people that just come here to troll and be contrarian assholes.

Its like hating Speilberg. He's made enough stuff that some are mediocre or people have recognized a style that he constantly does that they don't like.

For Ennis he's been known to go to high extremes or "be edgy" (like parts of Preacher or all of Crossed).
But no matter how ya look at it he's more hit than miss, and even if ya hate him you'd prolly find a few of his works good.

I guess I could see the edgy stuff with all the bestiality and sodomy in preacher (I have only read until Jesse gets Cassidy back from the grail) but I did like the relationship between cass and Jesse and it seemed well written. I haven't read crossed and from what I have seen about it I think I will skip it, it seems like to much edge and like its relying more on shock value. But anyways what's the best way to collect preacher? My LCS doesn't have any hardcovers of preacher, can I find some or should I just settle with the paper backs?

The run is over long enough that prints like hardcovers are maybe rare or expensive.
I bet if they did reprint it due to hype from the tvshow it'd be thick paperbacks.

As for Ennis recommendations keep an eye out for Rex Rover Red or Pride & Joy. Great comics that have that relationship writing skill that Ennis is great at. Both are single trade miniseries so I bet you could find them for $15 or less online.

You're gonna be looking at the thick paperbacks now as far as whats still in print. The Hardcovers are older and way more pricey.

but comics are for reading, not looking good on a shelf.

True, but I hate buying something to find out that if I bought a different addition it would have come with bonus content like extra art or maybe a small interview, or art by different artist. For some reason it drives me crazy haha. Really sad but that's how I am.

If you have the spare money, you can look at the Absolute Editions. They're on the second volume, and those almost always have the most extras that they would think about putting in.

How's Vagabond? That always seems to end up in people's collections on here

New buys

reposting new buys cause i'm too lazy to clean/update/take pics of shelf

How's the Martha Washington user? The hardcover goes for crazy prices and I might have to choose the chunky TPB.

i haven't started it but it's Miller and Gibbons so I assume it's great

Amethyst live action movie and animated franchise spin-off when??
DC needs to capitalize off of Wonder Woman's success ASAP

Fuck off, Sup Forumstard.

Jesus Christ I swear these threads are just "Hey fuckers I robbed my comic book store, check out what I stole!"

Preacher has been strictly softcover TPBs for ages. Around the mid-00s, they redid the trade dress to make it "more uniform" and shit but the original TPBs are still easy to find cheap.

It wasn't until a couple of years back, that they finally put the fucking thing in HC, using a new configuration for the issues collected so they could streamline the number of volumes. The hardcovers are also still relatively easy to find cheap.

The Absolute omnibuses are for the TV show.

The only Vertigo book where the HC/trades go for huge amounts are the Sandman ones. The original TPBs and HC for Sandman go for huge bucks online, because around the late 90s, DC ditched all of the original TPB/HC covers for super-duper vague as shit cover art that was designed by committee to appeal to normies. Also, the original first printing of "A Doll's House" (second trade but the first ever Sandman trade released) is a huge collector's item because the first printing includes #8 (first appearance of Death); DC removed it from all later printings of "A Doll's House" in order to include it into Preludes and Nocturnes (the first trade chronologically), due to it being that story's epilogue.

Also, the Absolute Sandman hardcovers were HUGE sellers and sold out almost immediately. So they go for huge bucks

Recent purchases (no camera with me sadly for pics)

Amazing Spider-Man Epic: Kraven's Last Hunt
X-Men Epic: The Gift
Crusades V1 Knight
Crusades V2 Dei
Swamp Thing Root of All Evil
Swamp Thing Darker Genesis
Swamp Thing Trial By Fire
X-Men Lifedeath HC
X-Men Fallen Angel HC
X-Force Toy Soldier HC
X-Men Mutant Massacre
Avengers: Legion of the Unliving
Age of Ultron

i second this

Anybody here picking up the Hickman Avengers Omnibus this week? Super excited for it, I've probs bought 9 omnibus in the last 2 months, got the whole Brubaker DD run, the 1st Mark Waid DD omni, Uncanny Avengers Omni for $30, Legion Omni, and Annihilation Conquest, Road to War of Kings, War of Kings, and Realm of Kings omni. Finally gonna start reading the last 4 omnis I listead after reading all of Annihilation online (cause fuck paying $500 for the omnibus on ebay)

Will be buying it in a couple of weeks when I have the money saved up for it.

Held off buying the individual HCs/TPBs, especially after hearing that the omnibus would have Infinity (as Marvel tends to skip crossover events in omnibuses, as seen with shit like the Bendis omnibuses skipping House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, and Siege)

Dang, good stuff, anons. Especially the JP Leon page, I love his work. I love original art in general. I only have one because I've only recently been able to afford it but I'll probably buy more. Would take a fresh pic but it's super late, so here's one I took when I first got it. I have some newly signed stuff too which I need to put up.

how much did that cost?!
I love Shade
would get the page of her entering the library or this

Bought a nice thing.

I think it was around 200 USD. The site I got it from has a bunch of her art from Shade. Are you talking about this page? cadencecomicart.com/art.php?page=32110

>cadencecomicart.com/art.php?page=32110
yeah, fuck
lol

the whole thing

Just picked these up today at a used book store

if i wanted to get into morrison's batman do i start with that batman and son volume?
then move on the r.i.p.?

My shelf

I'm just buying the single issues of Gwenpool, does the trade have anything special in it besides all the variant covers? I've never bought a trade before.

When is Prophet getting the HC treatment? I've been waiting patiently.

I hope the dlx edition of David's Atlantis chronicles does well so maybe we can get some good collections of his Aquaman run.

bump

Is Junko Mizuno Sup Forums or Sup Forums? Either way, is her stuff any good? I saw her art on Nucleus's site and I kinda like it.

We aren't picky in these threads. If you're buying you can show off.

Idk who that is but the cover looks nice.

Yeah, boy. Even though I think Ito's stories have gone a little downhill in his more recent works, I still buy everything that gets released. I'm hoping they bring over more of his classic stuff.

Masterful. Inoue is an amazing artist. Like 10/10 amazing.

I've ordered a bunch cosmic stuff.

Infinity Watch vol. 2
Guardians of the Galaxy Road to Annihilation 1 and 2
Realm of Kings omnibus
Infinity
A God Up There Listening
Infinity Revelation
Infinity Relativity
Infinity Entity
Infinity Finale

Also One Piece Box Set 1.

The story moves really slow but the artwork is so good you won't care.

Yeah, I like that style of art so I was curious if the story was good enough to bother with.

So obviously I need a new shelf.

I'm probably going to be buying Annihilation Conquest this month at least, I can't find it anywhere for $50 anymore.