Can comics / cartoons do horror? Have any moments in comics / cartoons been scary?

Can comics / cartoons do horror? Have any moments in comics / cartoons been scary?

Horror thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
emcarroll.com/comics/skin/
youtube.com/watch?v=nhcgWFOktcI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cartoons just as easily as any other movie or tv show.
Comics not so much.

>deers
>little girls
>scary

Show me some examples user, I'm in the mood for some spooks
I just googled "creepy" and browsed for a while and chose this because I knew loli would catch attention :^(

Fuck sake i cant look at deers without remembering that deer mindbreak thread from /k/

Cartoons can pull it off, comics can only get to the 'this is fucked up' part

>Fuck sake i cant look at deers without remembering that deer mindbreak thread from /k/

explain.

little girls is one of the major staples of freaky.

A *girl* with antlers ........ YOU HAD ONE JOB... for those that dont get it or ever took a biology class, antlers *only* wrong on males

There's plenty good horror comics.

Really they get split between
1. Big exploitation or slasher like splatter fests who take advantage of panel to panel art for crazy gore
2. Creature features who pull of amazing monster designs or horrific scenes that could never be pulled off live action or other more complex visual mediums
3. Tone built unsettling scenarios that pull you in with the story and almost want to get into a more secure position to fend off potential nightmares your own mind creates

There's TONS of horror comics, but I feel we lack in the cartoon department. I guess it is because good horror requires good art, and good art animated requires a big budget that most wouldn't want to bother with. Which is why most horror in cartoons is played more lightly or even a flat out comedy since it is more likely to make back money or be cheaper to make.

Junji Ito did it, so it's possible.

*grow in males
damn Im sleepy

Moore's Swampy is legit scary at times, I didn't expect it

You don't know what for sure what she has down there

there are female deer that can grow antlers

Isn't this from the myth of the deer woman? You know the one that lures men and then kills them with her hooves while the man is distracted by the idea of having sex.

I remember hearing about it once.

Instead of buying doe essence for hunting like normal people a /k/ommando and his friend tied up one and kept her constantly cumming with a vibrator to collect her juices.When they released she was mindbroken.

Thread got full of people with weird boners

I assume they used her. You don't put a vibrator to a doe and not use her a few times.

The reindeer is the one deer species where females have antlers, too.

sounds fake

If ya like horror books or horror movie franchises then comics are for you.
Pretty much every horror franchise has had at least one comic run or adaptation, and tons of works of Stephen King or Clive Barker.

Rawhead Rex, Friday the 13th, Pumpkinghead, Army of Darkness, Hellraiser, PuppetMaster, GingerdeadMan, Hatchet, etc.

Yeah I think it is some old story like a cryptid or something. I've seen a few stories use it including an episode of the Masters of Horror show.

Yeah máster of horror had one of those, I heard a similar myth from Mexico though, about a couple of hunters that find a woman in the woods one night with a very long dress, they thought she got lost and had a speech impairment so they would take her to the town the next morning, to warm themselves in the night they decide to drink some booze but then they get drunk and the woman starts to make advances on one of them, the other guy just moves out to go for wood for the fire they usgive them some privacy but is later greeted by the screams of his friend and weird deer screams, he finds the woman had deer legs stained in the blood of his dead friend as he readies his gun the woman escapes in the brink of the night.

Or at least that's what I remember, I heard about that one in Sonora.

Wouldn't something being scary depend on the reader/viewer?
I mean you can make an educational guess that a certain something will or will not scare majority of the people who might see it, but in the end that will still be opinions.
Yes, there are horror comics and cartoons. Would they be scary to you or me? Depends.

On one hand I want to hug it and give it food. On the other hand I don't want to be forcefully absorbed into a soul devouring hivemind and puppeted around.

Help.

is that supposed to be a spider?

I know this is Sup Forums and not Sup Forums, but the early episodes of Shiki had some seriously unsettling shit. I mean Exorcist level weird and frightening.

show me

"Horror" ? ... that's a little mutiphobic.
( I love her background cast appearances in the X-Men books. For a while there she dated the island that walked like a man. Well, one of them. )

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg

Google it you lazy fuck. I think it's on Hulu subbed and all.

It's a weird, off, terrifying show set in a rural area a few decades ago. It'd be perfect if it weren't for at least one non-sense anime hair color. The dead eyes are so unnerving.

Fawns *do not* grow antlers, female *Caribous* do though

Oops forgot to attach the image.

Hey Sup Forums, wanna party?

I wanna make sweet tender love to that lady.

Cartoons can do horror better than comics I feel.

The issue with horror is comics I've always felt is that the reader is in control of the pacing of the story which horror is dependent on when it's visual based. Literature can get around this by painting pictures and being vague to make up for the reader being in control. Movies are in complete control of how they use time. Everyone reads comics differently so speed reading or going back in pages can sometimes throw this off. That's just how I feel about it but horror is totally doable in comics still.

Horror comics that come to mind are
>Through the Woods by Emily Carroll
Anything by Carroll works though really, she does good scary work.
>Ghost of Hoppers by Jaime Hernandez
>Hellboy and BPRD
>Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano
>Junji Ito in general if you want weird horror

Yeah, if anything that is basically a /k/ommand's perfect weekend.

horror is probably the hardest genre to write. 99% of it is complete garbage. usually when cartoons are scary it's unintentional. Courage is the best example I can think of a good horror cartoon and junji ito does very good horror comics

She looks like she needs a hug.

it's a good concept but would only work once or twice

Anyone ever go inna woods and find anything spooky?

One Big2 comic I got a nice horror vibe from was the first half of Waid's Daredevil run. There's so many cliffhanger issue endings and nearly all of them are creepy.

Daredevil being dropped into a monster's mouth by Moloids
Daredevil's senseless body being dragged by Latverians
Daredevil's severed head being held up by a mexican cartel teleporter

It's very strange to me that there aren't many horror/comedy cartoons. In fact, there haven't been any on air since what, Courage and Billy and Mandy?

It's especially strange to me since that genre is a perfect avenue to help kids deal with their fears and such.

>Daredevil's severed head being held up by a mexican cartel teleporter

Cthulhu Tales
EC Comics

Comics is one of the best mediums for horror in my opinion. It's really good at getting down the expository element of the genre because the reader can control the pacing and really investigate the page. Mystery horror works better than slasher horror usually, but gorefests can be done as well. Considering horror is like 80% aesthetic, distinctive art styles can give it a really genuine feel.

>be op
>ask for examples of horror in comics
>no one posts examples

cool beans, niggies.

>Hellblazer (primarily the Delano run)
>Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
>Jeff Lemire's Animal Man
>Providence
>Hellboy +BPRD
>Gabe Hardman's The Bellfry oneshot
>Marv Wolfman's Tomb of Dracula
>Gerber's Man-thing
>House of Secrets
>The Goon
>Underwinter by Ray Fawkes is ongoing and p. good so far

Shit dog there you go. There's more but that's a mix of classics and current stuff

A spider that hunts exclusively people it looks like, by pretending to be a woman in distress.

Only if the attacked person gets away. But I see your point. There's no way a giant spider would ever evolve in such a narrow specialization as to hunt humans considering that in the middle parts of evolution they would be really ineffective because they are trying to trick a species that possesses advance communicative abilities.

Did Jason just punch that man's head through his whole torso and out his own asshole?

I really like emily carrol's stuff though, (its semi interactive I suppose) she does a lot of horror comics
emcarroll.com/comics/skin/

That one online Korean comic

You know the one

NO

Masters of Horror: Deer Woman by Max Landis

Yes.

Yes he did.

Shiki is abysmal edgy shit, m8.

Yes, Friday the 13th is retarded and lost whatever little horror movie credibility it had years ago.

Not Sup Forums but I legit consider Perfect Blue to be scarier than most horror movies.

Cartoons in the US can only do jumpscares.

Not actual horror nightmare that isn't for kids or teens or pg-13ish shit.

Manga proves that the medium is capable of being genuinely terrifying.

There were plenty of moments in this show that were scary, at least for a kid watching it for the first time. The whole show had an unsettling aesthetic and atmosphere.

I mean, I would at least expect the trip through the body to have removed the skin from the head.

Comics
Milkman murders
Johnny the homicidal maniac
Hack/slash
Anything by steve niles
Locke and key
First arc of batman and robin by grant morrison
Hellblazer

Cartoons
Martin mystery
Ghostburger
Frankenhole

Alot arent really horror but horror elements

Stand Still Stay Silent does horror pretty well.

There will never be an R rated horror cartoon ala Camellia Girl.

It's fucking symbolism

Is that the one with stepping on puppies?
I remember laughing at that scene. It's just so over-the-top.

Freaky Stories was pretty much comfy shit for me to watch after seeing the shit from pic related.

Dude....................

Get out................

>males
Can't say I've been too scared ever.

Although issue 5 of Snyder's Batman gave me some serious creepy vibes.

Pic related, but not the best page in the book. Just the best one I could find with a quick Google search.

>something on Sup Forums is fake

NO SHIT

oogie boogie creeped me the fuck out for a bit but I rewatched the film anyways cause it was so good (and ironically his song was my favorite)
there was a film about killer puppets that scared me shitless, I think it was Night of the Living Dummy. mostly because I collected plushies and mom collected lots of vintage porcelin dolls

>porcelin

*porcelain
just woke up

I think some of the best horror is through comics and art.
With art you don't need loud noises or music to make something scary.
All you need is an image,

>youtube.com/watch?v=nhcgWFOktcI
>Have you seen her feet?

I laughed harder than I should have. Just the situation and the delivery.

The one about the Korean liver eating fox-woman whose name I can't quite remember how to write?

Technically that's two images.

yeah comic books have a long history of tackling horror as a genre, but none of them are ever actually any good as horror. They all just turn out to be the slow-in-the-head cousin of a generic action romp but with extra ketchup.

We haven't had a good horror cartoon since the 90s:
Real Adventures of Johny Test
Mighty Max
Roswell Conspiracy

90s Spider Man could count as a horror cartoon because of all the body horror and creepy stuff that happened in it.

Idk I'd defend to my dying breath the comic adaptation of Rawhead Rex. It helps that the movie adaptation sucked so there's no other good adaptations to compete with it.

On an unrelated note,
Which do you prefer?
1. A horror comic that has as little text as possible, trying to have the art build the tension and do most of the scares
2. A horror comic that is heavily narrated to the point you almost don't have to look at the art

>2. A horror comic that is heavily narrated to the point you almost don't have to look at the art
You may as well read a book then, nigga.

>Mighty Max aka Polly Pocket for boys
>Good horror

And while Spiderman tas had the manspider stories, it also had heavy censorship (Blade used a damn lightsaber if I remember right) so it never went as big as it should have.

>Roswell Conspiracy

Mah nigga.

between just those two extremes? I'd take #1. Good prose is defined by its sensory defying ability to communicate visuals and feelings and smells etc... through word. If you replace that nuance with the utility of an actual visual it does worse than render otherwise good prose redundant it actually robs of it of its potency. Likewise visual mediums thrive in their ability to convey anything/everything but the static image through static images. Just on M.O. alone (not speaking for subject matter or creator talent) I'd say #1 stands better odds of producing worthwhile content than #2.

fucking mimics
yeah, would need to be a full on shapeshifter. this would only work in a city. Possibly an intentional magical creation.

a Gumiho

It does happen though. Especially in older horror comics.

I wanna lean towards 1 too, but I know deep down that without words slowing me down I often breeze through a comic possibly faster than I should have. I always feel I don't appreciate or enjoy textless comics as much as I should.

you never walk in the woods at night?
Come across a deer?

Imagine for a sec, doing so.. Then outwalks a naked/half naked girl partially covered in blood, acting just as spooked, confused as the deer.
100% nope.

Shiki is hilarious though. Any show where there is blatant, unflinching mass slaughter of unholy monsters is hilarious.

There need to be more series like that where an entire race of evil demons gets exterminated without opposition. Tokyo Ghoul would've come close if they made the villainous mass murderer Ghouls incredibly rare and lone-wolf. Because nothing was more funny than watching "innocent" Ghouls die

Grimm Fairy Tales come to mind.

Nameless by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham

>shiki
>weird, unsettling or terrifying
nigga whut. I liked it too but it was pretty basic and not at all scary-more drama than anything

I'm surprised that no one ever made a Goosebumps,Ghost of Fear Street or Fear Street cartoon.

Some of the weirder stories would only work in animation.

classic

Goosebumps had a few comics.
Maybe one of them adapted it.

My mind isn't the only thing that comes for Grimm Fairy Tales.

The Hellboy story The Crooked Man was the only time I found a comic to be scary I have no idea why but it gave me the creeps, not really a fan of Richard Corben but his art went really well with the story

thats cool as fuck

comics can do horror, but they cant do terror.

There are differences, but people are too retarded to understand.

You calling Bob Powell retarded?
Cause he might be. I mean I never knew the guy in real life and have no obligation to defend him.