Why is Fox so determined to hold on to these rights?

Why is Fox so determined to hold on to these rights?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DR9Q0uQcnMQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>investors "flame on" after mr. floptastic shows everyone the invisible profits

They're expecting to cash out once Marvel starts running out of stuff to put on the screen and become desperate to have the FF back. They're just waiting for it.

>tfw marvel will never get the rights back

This.

Remember how Fox was talking about starting their own cinematic universe with X-Men and Fant4stic? Then the movie bombed.

Fox seems strangely enthusiastic about making Fantastic Four movies, beyond just keeping the rights.

>Disney gets tired of this shit
>Buys Sony's entire movie division

Maybe that's what they think will happen but I think normies kinda hate the F4 now so the value is only going down.

>Buys Sony's entire movie division

How does that give them the FF rights?

I think they're convinced they can still make it work. I mean, last time they were able to get two movies out of it. This time they put their trust in a walking time bomb and everything went to shit but I bet they're thinking "okay, this one was a fluke but we can still make it work later"

Exactly. They're killing the brand.The price is coming down. They should have sold to Marvel before this past reboot.

>Channing Tatum
Holy shit I completely forgot about Gambit. Guess Fox did too.

What can Fox possibly do besides a second reboot? Origin stories are the worst and FF has already had 2

They should take a note from other reboots and not bother with the origin. Just have them already have their powers, costumes, etc at the beginning, make some allusions to how they got them but don't spend like an entire third of the movie setting it up.

If they were smart they'd just rip off Guardians and just have the FF in space having adventures and starting a war with the Skrulls, only to end it by saving their planet from Galactus or something cosmic like that.

I'm not sure, if Spiderman: Homecoming is a success, won't it increase their price?

Then people would have an example of what happens when Marvel gets their hands on something that otherwise has had mediocre, or in F4's case, bad recent movies.

No because Marvel would be in the driver's seat. They don't need the Fantastic Four.

Because if they sell/give the FF rights back to Marvel and Marvel studios makes a successful movie (which isn't hard since pretty much every movie with the MCU stamp is loved by critics and audiences and gets tons of dollars) it would make Fox look like a bunch of dumb assholes who don't know what they are doing (which is completely true).

So Fox can't let Marvel studios get the FF otherwise it will expose everyone to how stupid they are. So Fox will keep making shitty movies just to spite them.

Capeshit makes billions of dollars. They've had a taste of that themselves with the X-Men and Deadpool movies, so they live in hope that they can do the same with FF.

Rumors say they want to make a movie with the Reed and Sue's kids.

>making a movie with mary sue: the kids

Dear god what a terrible idea.

Apparently they're aware that the FF themselves are basically meaningless to Marvel, but Marvel really wants some of the associated characters like Dr. Doom and Galactus, so Fox is going to sit on the rights and do whatever necessary to maintain them (including making a movie every decade or so) until Marvel is willing to pay big bucks for those rights.

Same reason my ex is holding onto my copy of Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader even though she doesn't give a shit about comics

Oh yeah, I member that.

if you want to make FF into a successful franchise here's what you do.

>explain origin in first 3 minutes.

>have valerie and franklin already at 7-9ish

>they explore alternate realities, dimensions, universes

>1-2 alt reality per film

>maybe have it where their jumping machine is broken so they are trying to get home (like sliders)

you could have multiple movies in the franchise or even a tv show based around that simple premise

Bwahahahaha

That is just sad.

Fox has been less stupid every since they shipped that one dumbass over to Sony. Got Deadpool and Logan out of it.

At this point I don't even mind if WB buy the rights and make them DC.

>yfw they shopped out the fantastic flop cast

> but Marvel really wants some of the associated characters like Dr. Doom and Galactus

And the sad part is, none of these horrible FF movies have ever had a proper version of either of those characters. We got Mute, Amorphous Space Cloud Galactus and various flavors of Metallic Skin Rash Doom.

Seriously, why the fuck do they keep making Dr Doom a guy who gets superpowers the same way as the FF and has metal skin instead of armor?

Deadpool happened because Fox wasn't a part of it. In fact, Fox suits tried to can the movie and even tried to make it PG-13. It was all Miller and Reynolds.

Logan was James Mangold and Jackman.

Fox is responsible for X-Men Apocalypse aka the JLaw and Fassbender: The Shitty Movie. Which everyone hated. That is what Fox is capable of.

And now Fox is making The Dark Phoenix movie aka JLaw and Fassbender 2: Plus some X-Men I guess. Which will be shit. And when it's shit, Fox will probably have Cyclops, Jean, and Nightcrawler killed off and we'll never see for decades.
If it wasn't for Deadpool, they would be fucked.

Think about how they lost Star Wars to Disney.

>In fact, Fox suits tried to can the movie and even tried to make it PG-13.

It was pretty much the one guy. Who now works at Sony.

That's pretty much it. They got Trank because he was an up-and-coming director (every studio wanted him after Chronicle; he was even considered for the Venom project at one point) and with the possibility that he might get a huge return on a low budget also like Chronicle.

But then things went way, way wrong with that project, and I don't think anyone saw all of it coming.

Fox never owned Star Wars. They only had the rights to the first movie but none of the actual intellectual property, which they let Lucas keep because they thought it would be worthless and they've been kicking themselves ever since.

They've been holding on to the rights to the first movie pretty tenaciously, too. Disney has to cut them in whenever they release ANH in any format, since Fox retains the rights to the movie itself even if they don't own the characters, setting, etc.

Agreed. Wish those little brats would just die permanently.

In Hollywood, studios will buy scripts just so other studios can't. They might not make the movie. They might not even plan to make the movie. But they will buy it so that no one else can make it and potentially make money.

It's like that.

I bet you a fiddle of gold against your soul that they "pull a Bobby" in the movies and out some mutants.

Was the Aunt May solo movie his idea or Pascal's?

Because of Ultimate FF. They've seen the things the MCU took from the Ultimate Universe and figure that's the way to go, only they're retarded so they pick the bad parts.

The day they get an FF series off the ground is the day the third movie ends with the "twist" that Reed turns evil.

Because Ike "steal the potato chips" Pearlmutter literally convinced Disney no to buy the rights back when Fox offered and convinced them they could get it cheaper.

Fox then later did not lower the price. Ike then tried getting rid of the FF and X-Men comics. And Fox still did not lower the price.

A better question is why hasn't the Mouse hired a hitman to put a bullet in Ike's forehead. It's not like they couldn't get away from it.

I wonder why he's even around at this point but I'm assuming it's part of whatever deal he made when selling Marvel to Disney. That he get to keep running things.

Yeah but Fox has to actually make films or the rights revert back. Time to sabotage all future FF film plans.

>A better question is why hasn't the Mouse hired a hitman to put a bullet in Ike's forehead. It's not like they couldn't get away from it.
The mouse fear the fox

Disney has already had him pushed to the Marvel Entertainment division (comics&television) and locked him and the rest of the comic division out of Marvel Studios. They SHOULD have done this a long time ago. Still, Ike is still trying to crawl back into the movie division.

>Marvel studios makes a successful movie (which isn't hard since pretty much every movie with the MCU stamp is loved by critics and audiences and gets tons of dollars)
People keep forgetting that Marvel did this with their AYLAMO line up.

what do you mean?

because they bought them, idiot.

>b-but give rights back to mahvel!!1!

FOX makes plenty of money from non-cape shit

OP's question is valid

Deadpool doesn't make money to make up for
FF fuck ups.

(not them)

There was an atrocious Captain America movie in the '80s with an Italian Red Skull, a straight-to-black-market travesty of a FF film that's since become legend, and all sorts of horrible made-for-TV movies that have been done (undoubtedly) to maintain the movie production rights to properties that would otherwise become legally abandoned by their rights-holders.
But that was before someone informed Marvel Studios that they can actually make fairly decent cartoon straight-to-video movies on the cheap and not shame themselves with anymore live-action stuff.

oh, ok.
Wish Fox would let SEGA and CA make a vidya based on their marvel comics

The next one might, it has Cable. Holy fuck will that ever become ridiculous.

So because a company makes money on some stuff it means that they'll have no wish to make money off of something else? What the fuck kind of reasoning is that? It's because they make money off of other stuff that they don't give a shit about actually investing enough money into capeshit that might not give them their money back, like the FF franchise. It's a gamble. It's easy money to just shit out a cheap movie to keep the rights and wait until you can earn millions just by selling it back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a lawyer, I'm sure it's much more complicated than anything I can imagine.
And I think video-game rights are an entirely separate legal mess too.

Marvel wins because every movie grows the pot.
unlike fox or WB or Sony were the money goes to pay other failed movies.

tell us more of this FF film, wise user

What about that Captain America movie with Reb Brown?

No user, you might think that it'll be funny to watch something that bad, but there are limits to what even pot can make funny.
Heed my warning, search no further for this forbidden knowledge.

Damned if I know, all I remember is that there was one made-for-TV Captain America movie that was all about a super motorcycle and then later they made one with rubber ears on the costume where Cap threw a manhole cover instead of the shield.
As you might imagine, I now repress a lot of my childhood memories.

>>explain origin in first 3 minutes
I keep imagining something like the first few minutes of Iron Man where you get a short bio about Tony Stark but it would be about the Four, how they got that way and what they do.

Hilarious

>"pull a Bobby"

That could definitely happen to Kurt. They'd consider it a tribute to Alan Cumming or something

Goddammit I don't even car about the movies, I just want more Silver Surfer Heroclix.

The Doomed documentary is on Hulu

Those were made by Universal. I think they're pretty much pilots for TV series like The Incredible Hulk and The Amazing Spider-Man, also made by Universal. They made two Cap TV movies and one Doctor Strange. then they had the Thor and Daredevil teamup movies with the Hulk in the 80s. They all seem to be pilots for those characters but didn't go any further.

>But that was before someone informed Marvel Studios that they can actually make fairly decent cartoon straight-to-video movies on the cheap and not shame themselves with anymore live-action stuff.

I never thought of that as the reason they started those. Ultimate Avengers, Iron Man, and Doctor Strange really felt like practice for what they would eventually do. Fox wouldn't let them do the Ultimate Avengers vs X-Men. I wonder if they were hoping to get a crossover back then

>one Doctor Strange
Oh baby

youtube.com/watch?v=DR9Q0uQcnMQ

The villain was young Lucille Bluth

Dude, they barely touched the surface of the good stuff.

Vision with Scarlet Witch so far were like most comic book shit they've done, and they aren't even shipping them yet. Well, of course we then had Dr. Strange and we are delving into weirder parts of comics, but it's really just surface, we haven't gotten to the good stuff yet. Only complete casual who never picked up a comic can say that they'll run out of ideas in next 15 years. Even then Fox has already successfully incorporated soft-reboots (only to fuck up with Apocalypse)

Well yeah, Marvel's definitely not running out of stories, but that's not how Fox sees it. They won't even gamble their investments on a properly funded FF movie when the FF are some of the most popular heroes, do you really think they have the imagination to think that Marvel was going to do something like pull off a Guardians of The Galaxy movie and shit like that? As far as they figure Marvel has to buy back the rights to get at the villains because they can't imagine Marvel using some lesser-known villains and make them good.

The only reason they're doing X-Men movies is because they know they're a hit, that's why they're doing everything with Mystique now, because they can't let go of that hit.

>everybody has the same eyes, cheekbones and jaw
This is how you draw strong or martial people when you don't either lift or strike.

It might be a sin, but I'll take your bet, you're gonna regret.

X-men movies are fucking done, desu.

Dark Phoenix is already confirmed to have JLaw back, it's honestly quite amazing how these team movies concentrate on one fucking character every time, except for First Class (Wolverine and Mystique Lawrence), how can one company fuck up a TEAM superhero franchise so bad.

Our only hope is New Mutants, dude they hired looks like he knows what he's doing.

Why Disney can't pay and take that shit back? they'll put a gorillion in the next 2 Avengers .......

Because they know based marvel will turn it into a massive billion dollar franchise loved by everyone and they're jealous

It's also why they won't give back x-men even though Legion proved based Marvel can do it WAY better

They don't care. Every dollar they don't make with FF is a dollar Disney didn't make either.

Welcome to the spiteful, petty world of Hollywood.

>even though Legion proved based Marvel can do it WAY better
What?

No, because FOX literally has hundreds of other things it could be making, it makes no sense for them to keep re-making Fantastic Four movies.

Which means they won't do so again, at least not in the short term; since they've got until 2025, it's possible it'll come up, but it's not particularly likely.

Shitting out a "cheap" $100m+ movie that makes a loss is not easy or a good idea for anybody's career; and you can only sell something back if it still has worth.

Marvel will have contractual right of first refusal on those rights; which means FOX then has to offer them, to Marvel, at the same rate it would offer to any other company. If Marvel refuses, FOX can sell to someone else prepared to pay the same price. Same as happened with the Ghost Rider rights after the second movie tanked.

Ask yourself: who's going to buy those rights? You can't escape the taint of the movies already made, you'd have to work with Marvel on exploiting the rights, and you can't cross them over (with Batman or whoever) because they don't include the right to do that. Nobody is going to buy those: there's plenty of cheaper, hassle-free IPs going at any time. Only Marvel would ever want them, and Marvel aren't stupid enough to pay for something FOX will probably just lose through inaction anyway, just as happened with Daredevil.

>It's also why they won't give back x-men even though Legion proved based Marvel can do it WAY better

Legion is a co-production so I figured Fox makes it m and Marvel Television gets credited as well since they let them make it, as Fox doesn't have TV rights to any of the characters. Same as is going on with The Gifted and Deadpool Animated.

>having Valeria and Franklin at all
Nope, you lost me.

We need to wait for the Namor film then we can say marvel studios have run out of ideas

>Legion is a co-production so I figured Fox makes it m and Marvel Television gets credited

correct, same as Marvel gets credited on the movies

>as well since they let them make it,

I mean... they sold FOX the right to make it, so yes.

>as Fox doesn't have TV rights to any of the characters.

FOX has the live-action rights, including tv. They first exploited those rights in 1996, with a tv movie intended as a pilot for an ongoing series.

>Same as is going on with The Gifted and Deadpool Animated.

The Gifted is live-action, so it's covered by the live-action rights.

Deadpool Animated is not - it's part of the animated rights, which Marvel has always held, and only ever goes into temporary partnerships over (which is just the way it is with animation). The fact that FXX (of FX, which is ultimately of FOX) is the channel that ordered it is no more significant than the 90s X-Men cartoon being made for FOX Kids - Wolverine and the X-Men was made for Nicktoons (Viacom) and X-Men: Evolution was made for Kids WB (Time Warner).

Yeah, Generation X. I remember it popping up in my TV service ages ago and i was confused about it because it seemed to be about the X-Men but i couldn't recognize any

>haven't started shipping Vis and Scarlet Witch yet
>end of Avengers 2 had SW falling for him
>Civil War implies that he comes into her bedroom often
>Avengers 3 has an entire story about just Vis and SW.

It's a marvel property at a time when Marvel properties are really hot. Also, nobody wants to be the one that lets such a potentially big property slip away. It'll cost you your job.

>Our only hope is New Mutants, dude they hired looks like he knows what he's doing.

>“We are making a full-fledged horror movie set within the X-Men universe,” director Josh Boone says. “There are no costumes. There are no supervillains. We’re trying to do something very, very different.”

I wish I had your confidence.

Becauae they paid good money for them and don't want them to go to waste?

Of course, the lesson they got from DP and Logan wasn't that it's ok to break conventions a bit if it's for a purpose - it's that these franchises are exploitable even when you remove all pretenses of them being comics adaptations, the pretenses Singer hated so much back then and all

I have to say Logan was frustrating too in that regard. It's funny, because Deadpool kinda mocked the idea of having a generic white guy with a British accent as the villain, but then Logan comes in and has one with no irony to it, aided by generic military man with robo arm

But they're the ones wasting them

I had a friend who raved about Logan and how it was the best cape movie ever, but I think they might just have a closet daddy fetish because they also did the same thing with The Last Of Us.

The original drafts of Fant4stic had featured a few allusions to the X-Men movies but later revisions removed them

Fox never had catch-all "live action rights" if such a thing existed. All X-Men productions for TV had to be approved and negotiated with Marvel, which is why it took them longer to get on the smaller screen

Floor or wall jagerbombs, what's your flavour anons?

Well they did and they do and they've used them before, but OK, tell yourself whatever.

That's the one. Apparently it had Emma Frost, Banshee, and Jubilee.

I really enjoyed Logan, but it's merits/peculiarities come mostly from the allowance of violence, deaths (since no sequels) and Laura, overall the movie was the same Wolverine story we've been seeing for years which isn't bad per se but can get boring. I didn't hate The Wolverine so i don't mean it as an insult, but they were the same damn thing. When i finally saw the movie a few weeks ago after witnessing all the hype i basically went "that's it?"

Because they know if Fox loses the right, Marvel Studios will actually make a watchable movie that bring the FF out of their funk and make Fox looked like a bunch of incompetent idiots.

So it all comes down to egotism and spite.

Chronicle was mediocre as far as superhero concepts go but it was a reasonably fresh take on super powers. Everyone expected a director who would do what was require of him I.E. follow directions and produce a product so he could do his own shit later.

instead he twisted the license into chronicle 2 and, more importantly had a meltdown that basically destroyed his career.

Fantastic 4% was awful but no exec is gonna consider the IP toxic after Trank basically fucked the movie.

Either it gives them (Disney) incentive to buy out Fox as well, or Fox becomes fearful and surrenders the rights, I guess?

It was a rare time where both the studio executives and the directors were at fault for the failure for the movie and they point fingers at who's at fault.

basically yes, usually they keep mum on this nonsense but it all got leaked and they'd rather throw shade (admittedly earned) at Trank than protect the career of a lemon.