Could ATLA have worked if Aang and Katara were gender swaped?

Could ATLA have worked if Aang and Katara were gender swaped?

no. it needed more build up either way

No, it wouldn't make a difference.

Look if you want a rule 63 thread just fucking say so. Don't be coy about it.

I don't know man, plenty of complains seemed to come from the fact that Aang looked younger and smaller than Katara, so she wouldn't be interested into him.

Manlets can find love too user

The build up was fine.

They both need to be girls

Yes.

You'd have to swap Zuko and Ozai, too. But not Azula. Male Azula is just Joffrey Baratheon with firebending.

Why would you 'have' to swap them too?

Aang's rivalry/friendship with Zuko wouldn't work if they were the opposite sex. Mainly because Zukaang would have Zutara's popularity cubed.

I guess Ozai could still be a man; he's not very well developed.

Man, who gives a fuck about what the fandom does. Fem Aang and Zuko friendship would be fine. You're right that the ship would be insanely popular though.

And hot.

Either direction would be cute.

>muh build up

It had three seasons of dumb teasing, get the fuck out

>dumb teasing

you proved my point

Then you fucked up what your issue was, try to think what you're writing for once in your life

The build up was garbage and practically non-existent, especially on Katara's end. The ending with them together was completely unsupported by the narrative.

Not that guy, but dumb teasing ≠ build up.

>dumb teasing ≠ build up.
Explain the difference them.

How about actual development in their relationship? That's what I call build up. Season 3 was pretty much Aang confessing his love, Katara being confused, and then Katara inexplicably kissing him in the finale. It made no sense, there was no exploration of Katara's feelings for Aang, there wasn't any change in their dynamic at all. If anything they actively showed why a relationship between them wouldn't work. Katara couldn't rely on Aang at her most vulnerable, Aang straight up lied to Katara's face, and in general there was poor communication between them throughout the season. Aang was kind of an arrogant shit assuming that Katara would just fall in love with him after he kissed her, and then kissed her again when she expressed her confusion, showing he's still emotionally immature. Their relationship actually worsened in the final season and then they capped it off with them kissing and ending up together? It didn't make sense. Throughout the series, Katara has been like
a mother figure to Aang. Not once has Katara been able to lean on Aang for emotional support or openly communicate with him as an equal partner. It's always Katara supporting Aang and never the other way around. Why not show Aang reciprocate that support as he grows up? If they wanted to have legitimate build up, they should've shown that, but they didn't.

I don't know, both their character arcs become a bit less interesting genderswapped
>Young girl with magical powers who wants to resolve everything with love and compassion instead of violence is kind of a cliche
>Young man who wants to learn to be a badass fighter and then does is also kind of boring

Aang would work fine genderswapped because his character and arc is fairly gender neutral.
Katara wouldn't. A major part of her character is overcoming the challenges she faces as an ambitious woman in a male dominated society that she finds stifling.
You would either need to change her character significantly or significantly tweak how the Water Tribes culture is presented. Either of these would have pretty big consequences for the shows structure.

Aang is already a girly little twink. Katara would be the same overbearing stick in the mud as well, except people would no longer protect the character's controlling nature as "being motherly". But Sokka would be the GOAT waifu if genderswapped.

>male dominated
WUT. Did you regurgitate some bullshit you've read on a feminist blog? There as many important and powerful women as there are men in the Avatar universe.

He means the water tribe societies, not the world as a whole.

Calm down zutara.

For Katara I like the sugestions here Male Katara would be mocked for wanting to learn healing bending as well as the combat oriented bending.

And he would be an even shittier younger replacement for Sokka as "protector of the village".

On rewatches, TLA is a surprisingly feminist show.

>surprisingly

Nah fuck off.

Why would a female Aang have hair?

Yes.

Very compelling arguments.

Katara has to be a girl to play the team mom.

Female air nomads just shave half of the hair.

I love the size difference.

Height difference is the best.

Sup Forums really enjoys this doujinshi

Not sure Katara's arc would've been as fluid genderswapped.

Either way,
Zuko should've gone for Jin

Sup Forums does as well.