Is it possible to show an emotional female character without the fans throwing a hissy fit?

Is it possible to show an emotional female character without the fans throwing a hissy fit?

Diane, Katara, pretty much any character that isn't fap bait and dares to raise her voice get a lot of backlash that a male character wouldn't get.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CSkbE5W0YU8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>emotional female character
>post a picture of a self-proclaim feminist in the show that is accurate to real life (as being fullblast cunts and be a total wreck in their relationship and lifestyle)
sure mate

It's how they're portrayed that's the issue. I think Diane is perfectly fine because she's not really that annoying, has actual flaws, and has reasons to exist other than being Bojack's foil.

Peggy Hill, on the other hand, I can not stand at all, because she's so self-absorbed and stuck up her own ass. I know it's Sup Forums but I also can't stand Skyler from Breaking Bad because all she really does is get emotional and shit on Walt constantly from the beginning of the show all the way to the end. I just can't stand those types of characters whether they're men or women, but more often than not they're women.

my only problem with diane is that she looks like pic related

Besides the episode about the Hippo guy, did she ever get backlash for speaking up?

Hmmm...well, there was the time in season 1 where they went to Boston and Diane was humbled because she tried to be above it all but ended up going nuts in the bar and busting shit up.

There was also the time she wanted to do something meaningful and went to Cordovia only to come back and spend like two months at Bojack's house stuffing her face with ice cream and pizza because she was too ashamed to go home to her husband.

So yea, it was never as direct as when she went up against Hippopopolous (sic) but she's had to suffer the consequences of her actions on numerous occasions.

Walt deserved it

That doesn't stop Sup Forums from having a hate boner for her. Even while acknowledging that the show is about flawed people, Diane somehow gets more shit.

I've noticed how stark opinions are when you have people that watched breaking bad as it aired vs. binging re: walt, it's amusing to see
That said "Skylar is a bitch" and "Walt deserved it" aren't contradictory statements

I only like her when she suffers.

Because of all the flaws hers are the most avoidable and close to home.

She's had a mostly normal childhood, she has a loving husband, she has a steady job but none of it helps her find meaning and she demands meaning be dropped on her lap.

Oh come on....I've already argued it to death in the past but like...take season 3 for instance, when Walt buys Junior the badass muscle car. Skyler gets on his nuts to return it, complains that him buying a car doesn't jive with their story, makes him return it, and then the very next day goes out and buys him a new PT Cruiser, negating what she'd said the previous day.

Or the time she went behind Walt's back, doing the same thing she was always bitching at him about, to steal 650k from Walt to pay off Beneke's tax debt to 'protect the family'. Which was just like Walt cooking meth to 'provide for the family' but Skyler was too blind to see that she was doing pretty much the same shit she condemned Walt for.

"Skylar is a bitch" makes no sense considering she was stuck in that place thanks to her husband cooking meth. Maybe if both of them had agreed from the start only for Skylar to meddle later on, then you'd have a point.

She was a bitch before the meth even got revealed on top of shit like She's a bitch and Hank "The Tank" got the superior sister

That's hardly a sin, though. Bojack pulls the same shit; he's got more than enough money to live for the rest of his life, he's built himself up to where he can get work whenever he wants now, and though he doesn't have a family he does have a circle of people around him that support him in just about anything he does.

Despite this he's just like Diane; he is constantly searching for meaning. The only difference is that he searches for meaning by glorifying himself while she does so by trying to resolve external issues without ever trying to improve herself.

I want to party with those lemurs

A pt cruiser was a more financially reasonable car. She was attempting to compromise by getting the kid a car, just not an irs-attention-grabber car. Besides it's not like Walt bought the car for the family as much as for his own ego. How dare he be working hard and yet his soon is a moody asshole and he can't throw his cash around like some gangster in the hood. Dude had no patience or sense of the longer scale or consequences for his actions past his pride.

And in the beneke/650k it was her trying to protect walt from a possible snitching case. If she hadn't helped him it was gonna be over, irs up her ass, show done. But walt getting into meth wasn't such a damn-if-you-do-damn-if-you-don't scenario. He could have swallowed his pride and accepted the donation. Instead he had to get in over his head trying to be some drug boss.

The only thing I can see skyler doing that had no real decent reason motivating it was not going to the cops. Fuck that she should have the second she knew. Cops, lawyer-ed up, told hank, keep the kids and live with her sister and work.

Skyler was doing her best to repair the damage Walt created and keep his egotistical impulses in check.

The point of her bitching about the car was that spending any extraneous money when they were both out of a job was an attention grabber in and of itself. Her going on and dropping 30-40k of theoretical dollars isn't much different from Walt dropping 50-60k of theoretical dollars. It's not like Walt bought Junior a 200k Porsche or Lambo.

Don't pretend she wasn't trying to protect her own ass in the Beneke case either. She helped cover his ass when the books were cooked in the first place. She's willing to drop the hammer when Walt steps five feet out of line but when Beneke did it she was just like "I'll fix it but don't involve me any further okay?"

I will grant you that Walt was being shortsighted in regards to IRS meddling. Skyler did have a perfectly legitimate reason to be worried about that in and of itself.

Speaks volumes that the only flaw you find with Skyler is that she didn't immediately betray her husband who she'd been married to for like 20 years at this point and turn him in to the cops for trying to give his family a life after he'd died, leaving them saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical debt in addition to their living expenses and college tuitions. I mean sure he could have taken the donation, but what would that do for the family after he was dead?

I'll give you the car but how was what happened with Beneke any fault of Walts?

>Is it possible to show an emotional female character without the fans throwing a hissy fit?
Yes, but not in a place that prides itself on being a safespace for kissless virgin losers.

>Diane, Katara, pretty much any character that isn't fap bait and dares to raise her voice get a lot of backlash that a male character wouldn't get.

PC raises her voice, and stands her ground often. She doesn't get backlash for it. From the very same show.

Based on your OP, you're just looking to start Sup Forums shitflinging. Go neck yourself.

They told her to cram it when she started yelling about being served water at the end of season 3

Female Characters would never get the hatred that they do if they were ACCOUNTABLE for their actions.

That is all. Also, giving them slaps on the wrist doesn't count. This vid sums up how men like to handle immoral women:

youtube.com/watch?v=CSkbE5W0YU8

Bojack has his own self inflicted problems but Diane is like a worse Caroline, she has none of the intrinsic talent or work ethic but all of the desire to shit stir.

She has the tools but not the will.

Skyler is fundamentally unlikable because she always takes the path of least resistance. Easy and right coincided enough of the time it could confuse the viewer.

>Caroline
Rutabaga plz

Princess Caroline doesn't shit stir, though. Her problem is that she's too nurturing for her own good. Sure she has ambition, and she does her damnedest to realize it, but she's ultimately held back by her desire to fix those around her, Bojack most of all.

Hell, PC is probably the best girl in the entire show. Maybe even the best person, since she's the most accepting of who she is and she keeps on plowing through anything that comes her way no matter what.

It's true that Diane is lacking compared to that, but she's no monster either. Diane is a perfectly normal woman in a weird world. Yea she's got shitty liberal views and she's myopic when it comes to social issues. She takes Mr Peanut Butter for granted as well, most other men would have dumped her ass after Cordovia. But she's not treated as perfect in-universe. She doesn't typically get a free pass for her actions. Out of universe she isn't meant to act as a severe hard counter to the typical flow of the show, acting as a naggy voice of reason. I can't be mad at her for any of that.

What bothers me about Skyler is these two things:

1) Before the series showed Walt being a Meth Cook? She was a stereotypical dismissive wife. The kind of bitch who doesn't acknowledge her husband as being a living being with his own identity. For god's sake this woman was completely ignoring her husband while already giving him a handjob like it was some mechanical up and down function she did for some disembodied thing. So yeah, cunt.

2) She's a hypocrite. She claimed she wanted to get into Walt's meth business out of pride because she hated the idea of cops seeing her as a ditzy blonde who was ignorant all along. Okay, she dirtied her hands but the instant her own sister was threatening her and the possibility of Skyler going to jail rose up? Skyler was happy that Walt, the chump, gave her an out and pretended to be a snowflake victim of Walt's scheme. She incriminated herself and then in the moment of truth, happily relied on Walt taking all the blame so she walks away free. Fucking cunt.

Can't say I also liked Skyler during the whole Knife Fight incident. Then again both she and Junior came across as pieces of shit. Honestly if Walt killed off his family to live the rest of his days in peace? Wouldn't see him as wrong. His family sucked.

Wife - Cunt.
Son - Cunt.
Brother in Law - The same negative egotistical traits Walt had but on the side of the law. That fucker didn't care about protecting innocents or upholding the law, he was just there to satisfy his shitty ego ignoring how Walt even protected him from finding shit out that would necessitate bigger criminals killing his ass. When he ultimately perished I cheered.

Hank's Wife - Gossipy cunt. Shame she didn't die.

I just keep shitposting out of boredom but here goes.

I'll give you most of the points you made but Walter Junior wasn't really that bad. I mean he was a sheltered middle-class kid who never really had to face anything bad up to that point., and both Walt and Skyler prevented him from knowing anything about Walt's true self up until the time it got Hank killed. It's only natural he reacted the way he did.

I agree for the most part on Hank but his death was nothing to celebrate. Despite his flaws he was ultimately a good man, and up until the meth shit he was bro-tier. Big fish in a small pond? Sure, he proved that himself with El Paso and the panic attacks. Bit of a judgmental prick? Yea, definitely. He always did what he could to protect the family, though.

Marie didn't really get enough characterization for me to form an opinion on, and I have to say I'm biased since post-season 1 she turned into a cute. She wasn't as bad as Skyler, though, in some ways. Like putting up with Hank's bullshit after he got shot, she handled that pretty well until she imploded in on herself and started stealing shit again. She had just as much of a moral high horse as Skyler but she was much more of a supportive wife to her husband, even if he didn't fall to the depths that Walt did.

Peggy Hill is one of the best written Sup Forums girls. She's in fact one of the few where Hank, her HUSBAND, has to put her in line or help save her and it never feels like a damsel in distress scenario but like just a person who made a genuine mistake, like Bill or Dale.

She doesn't act as a roadblock for adventure stories like most straight women characters. She isn't miss perfect who always has the answer. She isn't even a bitch who constantly shits on everyone and gets away with it. She's just as messed up as most of the cast in KotH and faces consequences for it. There's only been a handful of times where her or Hank get away with shit that was frustrating to watch.

She's a person you love to hate. I would never want her removed from the show but my god, whenever she acts holier than thou, it's infuriating. But other characters think it's infuriating, too, so it works.