Heavy Metal

Is it worth reading this mag? How has it change now that Morrison is in charge? Anyone here reads it?

Hit or miss user. Some stories are excellent; then some are kind of lame. It used to be the counter culture and edgy comics that made it into the books, then it became tits and ass and now it is somewhere inbetween. Not as relevant or awesome as it once was, though can still be good at times.

Hmm. I'd still want a subscription. Feels like something cool to get.

kinda dull to be honest, i really wanted to love it

I think Brandon Graham put it best in that it's kind of disingenuous how Morrison heralds himself as a "punk" type creator when he has worked for both Marvel and DC.

Do you have a source on this? It sounds legitimately interesting.

Morrison still has to make a living though. If DC and Marvel give him the creative control he desires, why does it matter who he works for?

It was a tweet, not like an essay or anything like that.

I think the point he was trying to make is that you can't really act like you're at home with alternative comics, and you're going to change the paradigm of alternative comics, if you're best known for Big Two stuff, especially since there's plenty of writers and artists who have never worked for DC and Marvel, like Graham himself. As said before, it comes off as somewhat disingenuous.

>chaos magic
Uh oh

Why he keep putting himself on the covers? I want my Heavy Metal to have naked women. Has HM gotten infected like Marvel and dropped titties in it now?

Heavy Metal used to be a lot more than just fapbait. Those were the days when masters like Moebius worked on the zine. Of course, now all of HM's readership is a bunch of literal teenagers like (You) so it's no wonder the mag has gone to shit.

i love it but i am constantly missing issues

You can't be punk and work for the man.

Because he's the closest the magazine has to a recognizable IP.

He will work for DC eventually.

Mobius worked at the same time as Corben was doing Den. Den is fapbait that trenscends fapbait, because It was legit horny and weird like freaky sex dream.

I mean many could argue that Morrison has always had a very specific sensibility in his approach to capeshit which at their best countered the storytelling norms of the publishing and at worst were so off beat they didn't even belong on the pages. And it's not like Morrison has only written capeshit, there's always stuff like Invisibles, Filth, Happy, Nameless that one would say Morrison is most home at and something right out of the pages of an Alternative Comic.

Why would he ever do that? Have you seen his tirades against "faceless corporations" like the Big Two? Not to mention I very much doubt he even likes superheroes in the first place.

I hate to say it, but if comics history is anything to go by, I think when someone's heavily outspoken like that either they end up eventually selling out or they become so fringe that eventually people stop caring.

Eh, seems like a load of shit to me. You can do both, it's not a binary thing. Sounds like Graham's just salty because his editorial stuff has flopped big time.

You can do both, but if you write major X-Men and Superman books you definitely can't call yourself alternative afterwords.

Moore did that and if you actually believe that, you are a fag.

>Moore did that
When?

The Sex Pistols were literally a boy band assembled by a fashion shop owner. The Clash were famously "The Only Band That Matters", a marketing slogan created by their record label, CBS.

His Lost Girls/From Hell stuff.

I've been reading it recently (I'm on number 8), it's pretty hit or miss, but when it hits it's out of the park for me.

It depends what you're referring to. Moore did a lot of work for DC in the 80s including Superman, and did write one X-Men book (1985's "Heroes for Hope: Starring the X-Men" with, funnily enough, Richard Corben), but in the 90s he broke away from the Big Two entirely. He even founded his own alternative comics company (though, as if fate was mocking hime, it would eventually be folded into DC...)

But the point is it's kind of silly to say once you write for the Big Two you can't call yourself alternative afterwards. Moore has spent nearly 30 years since his DC/Marvel work doing non-mainstream comics work and has only gotten more niche over time.

There's always been this kind of purity test/dick measuring contest in the punk/alternative world: who's *really* Authentic and True. It's kind of ridiculous.

>writers and artists who have never worked for DC and Marvel, like Graham himself.

Graham actually has worked for DC by way of Vertigo in a story in 2011's House of Mystery Annual #2. He also did work on Prophet for Image for 3 years. Is he a sell out?