Is The Adventure Zone the new Homestuck?

Is The Adventure Zone the new Homestuck?

>Overlapping fanbase, a lot of people who like TAZ almost certainly were into HS
>Medium which discourages newcomers (60+ hours of listening for TAZ a billion pages for HS), but story which pays off big time if one sticks through
>Both follow similar structures, starting off as a series of goofs and ending up with a coherent narrative and high stakes, even managing to turn random fan-submitted content into relevant plot points seamlessy woven into the narrative
>Huge potential for TAZ to fuck up in its last arc just like HS did

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P3k6uxJ6yYs
youtube.com/watch?v=iWPH9JyKCgw
youtube.com/watch?v=Yi1_c8FA8KI
youtube.com/watch?v=xe4YsT96WNk&t=180s
youtube.com/watch?v=eLUl3WV8AjA
youtube.com/watch?v=EKxCaXen4Ik
youtube.com/watch?v=ZOZcttrgXKQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't know.
I'm just wrapping up Murder on the Rockport Limited.

I don't know if you're already hooked or not, but stick through, it's really worth it - especially when Griffin starts to compose music for the show

I've been diving deep into McElroy content. I just caught up on Cool Games Inc, after going through Car Boys and MBMBAM.

youtube.com/watch?v=P3k6uxJ6yYs

what the fuck is the appeal of TAZ?

all I see is fanart of a dwarf, a bara and a fucking faggot

Never heard of it so no

youtube.com/watch?v=iWPH9JyKCgw

>what the fuck is the appeal of [piece of media]?
>all I see is fanart of [the characters]

????
Are you having a stroke user?

I'm saying I have no idea what TAZ is about because all I see is fanart of 3 characters standing around
got it this time you fucking autist??

no

basically. Homestuck fans are Hetalia fans that became Homestuck fans that became Steven Universe fans that became Undertale fans that became Adventure Zone fans. shallow, boring people who need a "fandom" to siphon off even a shred of personality. theyre like locusts

Guy has a podcast where he plays DnD with his two brothers and their father.
They're a creative and entertaining bunch.

>Is [x] the new homestuck?

No. No piece of web media has even compared to Hussie in his prime, and no amount of superficial comparisons will change that.

much wow

Really surprised to see a thread about these dudes on here as opposed to /tg/

Magnus is my fucking dude.

You forgot the Overwatch section of the fandom.

After Undertale, a majority of them moved onto Overwatch, where they then siphoned into TAZ.

Magnus is the absolute best.

I think most people that liked shit like Game Grumps or Markiplier moved to TAZ
NO ONE that actually appreciates ficiton work would waste his time with that shit

I'm partial to Taako. I love all the characters, but Magnus isn't my favorite. I just...listen. I love Travis, but sometimes Magnus can be annoying as hell. You can tell when Griffin wants to do something one way and then Travis/Magnus kind of t-bone it. It sucks.

That's not even the right order.

Basically everything with a large following becomes termed a "fandom" because a lot of OC starts being made for it.

Also this. I feel like Worm is the closest thing that compares to Homestuck on a scope level (as far as post-2000s internet works go), and even then it's a completely different beast from Homestuck.

Travis understands his character best, and Clint is hilarious, but Justin is by far the best roleplayer of the three.

>Who?

youtube.com/watch?v=Yi1_c8FA8KI

God, when Justin busted out that "Who?" I felt my soul leave my body.

Of the three, I'm most excited to see what Justin's campaign will do.

Hey, they're getting a comic, so this is technically Sup Forums

It was so fucking perfect.

I think it caught everyone off guard.

And Clints little "Oohhh" in the back.

>live show during Comic Con this year
>happening right in the middle of the finale

D-do you think they'll do the revenge quest where Taako and Merle hunt down Kalen?

Oh man, that would be great.

Or...alternatively....

Angus solo adventure.

i wish i could still enjoy them. ive been listening to MBMBaM since fucking 2011, and its gotten old i must say. unfortunately.

So we all agree that Lup's going to be brought back via the cloning pods, right?

Considering that her soul's contained in the umbra staff and she's genetically identical to Taako.

that being said, who is the Best Brother? Obviously the only choices are Justin and Griffin.

She has to be. They can't face the Hunger without all 7 of them, imo.

Also, when I made the connection that the RR in Waveecho was Lup, I shat myself. I didn't even think of it. Although I almost thought that Lup was the female Lich in Wonderland, that would have been dumb.

Griffin is cutest
Travis is purest
Justin is funniest

My mind says Griffin but my heart says Justin.

Eh. I find Taako vastly more annoying than Magnus rushing in and smashing narrative plans to shreds with impeccably carved balls.

It's already the new Homestuck/SU. I don't follow it at all but even I saw that whole debacle about Taako's skin.

>just wanna make a podcast with your family playing DND
>one of the worst fandoms to ever exist latches onto it

it's terrifying actually. These guys couldnt even joke about Trump being elected when it's like a bit ripped straight out of their show. It's sad, they are being pushed way too far to the left, especially considering how edgy and carefree they used to be. You can tell they're hanging out with the social justice "in-crowd" in gaming and entertainment now

As far as I know they haven't changed their minds about Taako's skin being blue in the comics.

Nice!

That "who?" was indeed amazing, and my heart wants to believe that it was 100% improv, but I've got this nagging feeling that maybe it wasn't

Like, I have the suspicion that some moments of the podcast are partially scripted - like they knew the Animus Bell was the last Relic they had to find, even if there was one more, probably because Griffin gave em a heads up; nothing too major, but otherwise the story couldn't flow THAT smoothly

Wouldn't that take months? I think they are probably better off trying to somehow extract her from the Umbrastaff and leave her in Lich form

I havent really kept up with TAZ since last year, ive only listened to a few of their recent episodes from 2017 and Travis's hilarious podcast with Brentalfloss

Justin confirmed on twitter that it was improvised. I mean, he could be saying it now, but I feel like it was. You could hear Griffin hesitate for just a second.

And they knew the Bell was the last one because it was the last one. They had seen all six before. They already knew Lucrecia's staff was one by that point, I believe, so they knew there was only one more to go.

Yeah, it probably was genuine, with Clint's reaction and all

They didn't know the Staff was the last relic tho at the time

I like taz, but eventually dropped Homestuck. After a while I thought it went a bit too far out of its way to feel convoluted with all the new character perspectives and timelines it kept introducing.

The adventure zone has some twists, but it's a bit more coherent.

youtube.com/watch?v=xe4YsT96WNk&t=180s

2:49-2:59 Perfect Taako

>her soul's contained in the umbra staff
I must have missed that detail.

>I really get in there.

I mean, it has to be SOMEWHERE, right? Assume it's in the staff because the staff has done it's own thing a couple times now, so obviously something is inside. Also it did spell out LUP

Yeah, it definitely shows that the smaller scope of the adventure helps with keeping it cleaner and tighter
Still, nothing will ever hold the same place as HS in my heart ://

I think it's strongly implied; it burned the name LUP on a wall of its own volition one time, and another it tried for some reason to fuck up Kravitz, who after that said he perceived the presence of a Lich
The theory is that Lup was alone in WaveEcho cave when the memory wipe started, and like Barry understood that she had to die if she wanted to remember, but since she "defeated" herself by committing suicide with the umbrastaff she was absorbed by it

I don't care whether Griffin coached him on it or not, that was 2real4me

Am I the only one who sometimes feels a little bit bad for Clint? You can tell that at times he gets the impression that he's not as fast/clever/funny as his sons and tries his best to keep up and say funny shit, and the brothers try to be cool wingmen about it, but I wonder if sometimes he doubts himself and thinks he's not doing enough

I'd want to tell him that he's doing a good job as it is and not to try too hard, people already like him and Merle

>it burned LUP on a wall
Forgot about that bit. Might need to relisten to some older episodes before the finale.

yes i feel this way too. the whole series has somewhat of a tragic backstory to it, considering their mother died

I think he was a little slower to pick up on what kind of character he was going for at the start but found his groove eventually.

Merle's development in the latest arc has probably been my favorite of the main three.

I feel bad when you can tell some of his jokes don't land or he goes on for a bit too long. I love Daddy Clint, though. The man has a heart of gold.

I love Merle, I wanna see what he brings to the next campaigns. You can tell he wants to totally be a bard.

I like where he ended up with Merle eventually
>we were beach dwarves

I wanna see more Mookie and Mavis before the campaign is over, though. Here's hoping it all ends with everyone happy and reuinted :'''')

Exactly what I meant
Sometimes his jokes don't quite work, but we love him anyway - hell, I'd say part of his job is in fact to make bad dad-jokes

All I've seen of TAZ is SU-type discourse over "abusive ships" and thought it was best to avoid it.

what a great scene

All I've seen was discourse over drawing Taako with green skin

Why? Why would that be bad?

That being said, the scene with the vines (and his sons screaming on in horror) is one of my favourites from the whole show.

>listening

So this isn't comics and/or cartoons? Some kind of podcast? I don't know what the fuck this is man.

It's a DnD podcast, but it has a comic coming out next year

So fucking weird to see the McElroys take off. Between TAZ and Monster Factory it's grown so much. Been a mbmbam fan for a long time so it's nice to see them have fans but it's too bad fans breed fandom.

I'm not so into TAZ myself. I like the improv but the story stuff bores me and we're getting so much more of that now with the way Griffin has constructed everything. I'll be happy when they end this and start whatever's next. And hopefully fucking Travis isn't DMing next time.

From what I heard the creators said any character can be of any skin colour bc it's ultimately all in your head how you invision them.

Something something thinly veiled racism or whatever for not making Taako a natural shade, preferably brown to those who started the discourse

Basically just a bunch of 'your headcanon doesnt match my headcanon' bullshit

Oh. Pass.

I can't get in to podcasts.

it is, right? I've always hated Travis too

It's podcast turning comic that also happens to have a few animatics on Youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=eLUl3WV8AjA

youtube.com/watch?v=EKxCaXen4Ik

youtube.com/watch?v=ZOZcttrgXKQ

Wow it really is homestuck

Seeing how this an D&D podcast stealth thread. What do you think of another famous D&D podcast/stream?

Matthew Mercer's Critical Role.

It's not though.

I actually like the skin tones they went with. The Sort of Dark skin makes sense for a Beach Dwarf.

I wanna get into it, but boy do I not have the time to sit through three hour long sessions.

I do wanna listen to Friends at the Table tho because of my bae Austin Walker

Me too, hell they even have some veteran voice actors playing such as Liam O'Brien, Laura Bailey, Ashley Johnson, and Travis Willingham.

Honestly the only nitpick I have is that I never pictured Magnus with a thick mustache.

It was all about Burnside's Sideburns.

No, it's just another comedy adventure podcast. There's a ton of those, and TAZ isn't exactly discouraging to newcomers since there's no requirement to get caught up. It's also ending without one million episodes, so it's not dragging on forever.

Are they doing TAZ:Nights when this campaign i over?

Nope. Nights is just going to be bonus donor episodes.

Starting a new campaign of sorts supposedly.

TAZ has gotten so much worse lately. There's so much forced melodrama and boohooing. I hate it when Griffin pretends his voices is cracking because it's just so emotional. Damn near rolling my eyes out of my head with every episode.

Well, the flashback nature of The Stolen Century required a little bit of narration and melodrama, so I think it's okay even if it's a tad heavy handed
Anyway, it's over now, so we should more or less return to normal schedule

Thank you.

Dude don't make my heart skip a bit, I know you're not Clint but my stupid brain still low-key wants to believe

I just discovered them this morning when a fan animation popped up my recommended videos.

Watched some Monster Factory and started their D&D podcast. Their main channel is kinda shit but what else is worth listening too? I don't understand the comparison to Homestuck but from this thread it seems like a warning to stay away from their fans.

Also is any of them gay? Justin and Griffin sound incredibly gay but I know at least one of them has a wife.

My Brother, My Brother, and Me is still their best podcast/show. They're all married. To women.

Oh. In that case, while I really don't want to be that guy, why makes it Sup Forums related?

Unfortunately not. I would let daddy Travis ravish me

I'm amazed. They sound so fabulously gay. I don't understand.

Though they are related so, I guess thats not too surprising that they talk similar.

no

The podcast is being adapted into a comic.

lol

Ugh I hope not. I love the Bros. I've listened thru the time loop arc and still haven't been really grabbed by it

Some people exist to find things to get offended over.