Any good Lovecraft comics? Any publisher is fine with me

Any good Lovecraft comics? Any publisher is fine with me.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/BBCRadio4TheShadowOverInnsmouth
twitter.com/AnonBabble

better stick to the source material

you wanna read some fish rape?

>

I remember how excited I was when I've finally got my hands at one compilation of Lovecraft stories, expecting nothing but pure horror and madness

The picture sums up what I've got instead. There's some nice concepts here and there, but nothing beyond that. Without even counting his habit to re-hash stories with minor differences thousands of times.

This isolated person saw something unspeakable and now is getting nuts? How unexpected...

Does not surprise me at all how Stephan King got "inspired" by him. In fact, it explains a lot.

>The Courtyard
>Neonomicon
>Providence

All of these are by Alan Moore. Read them in that order. Neonomicon is a little hit or miss with some people because it goes a little outside Lovecraft's "allude to things, not be explicit" tendencies (see: Deep One rape), but character and story is good and it's connected to the Courtyard. You *can* skip it, but I personally really liked it.

>Fall of Cthulhu

This is more if you want just straight up tentacles and world-ending apocalypse action. It's not nuanced, but it's a fun Lovecraftian monster mash with a pretty interesting story. Just not super "Lovecraftian" in the traditional sense.

>Hellboy

This has a lot of Lovecraftian stuff hidden away in it, and it's a generally great story to boot. BPRD, Abe Sapien, and others are all spinoffs and have some Lovecraftian stuff as well.

Hope you like Avatar Press and some dong because you're reading Providence.

So what you're saying is you have garbage taste.

Not good but most Otherworldy themes and magical stories in Marvel Universe revolve around sleeping Elder Gods and wake minor dieties that are basically clones of Lovecraft cosmogony. I repeat though it's Marvel, so it's ain't very good.

Lovecraft's work is the kind of thing that I think must be enjoyed in the original medium, as said.

Almost all of his works rely heavily on imagination, as most old ones and even the relatively "good" elder gods drive you batshit insane just by glimpsing at them.

The novel and short story format really is the best for his type of fiction, as it leaves the most to the imagination of the reader.

I'm not trying to sound elitist here but really, I've read a decent amount of Lovecraftian comics and I wouldn't really recommend any of them. Really the only adaptations of lovecraft that work are the ones that take stuff from innsmouth or also rely on a great deal of imagination (tabletop and board games).

What is the comic in which Lovecraft finds some Negro's eggs?

Read this instead.

Locke & Key has some Lovecraft vibes going on. It's also a really good series.

The only reason Lovecraft is praised is because his named turned into a stamp of genre. His stories, in another hand, are boring to say the least.

Funny enough, people who usually defends him no matter what, usually never read anything but his greatest hits, or sometimes not even that

Look up SelfMadeHero if you want straight up adaptations as graphic novels.

>it's Kafkaesque
>it's Lovecraftian
>it's Orwellian

mignola is a big lovecraft boo and it's the closest you'll get to good lovecraftian comics. locke and key has ugly art and is boring and I think alan moore hates lovecraft and doesnt really get him. It's a shame there's really no direct comic adaptations of lovecrafts work

>and I think alan moore hates lovecraft
Is there anybody that Alan Moore doesn't hates?

Apparently there's a comic adaptation of The House on the Borderland, but I can't vouch for it's quality since I just learned about it myself.

Orwellian is overused to describe literally anything dystopian regardless of the relevency to his work, but lovecraftian and kafkaesque I don't see laymen abuse as much.

>negro eggs

Uhhh what?

>locke and key has ugly art and is boring

>please no meat touching ma'am

I think it's hard to appreciate Lovecraft's work in a modern context. And I'm not saying your criticisms are wrong or that you don't "get it." It's just that stuff that was scary to people back then don't really work today.

During Lovecraft's time, science was the "new god" that could explain the world and rationalize everything. With enough time and gumption, we could explain the universe and find the reasoning of our place in it, maybe as God intended.

Lovecraft's work was the complete anti-thesis of these ideas. No, some things in the world are unknowable/unexplainable. No, critical thinking and rationalization won't save you. You are less than a spec in an uncaring universe. The greater beings on this plane are horrifying, and your best scenarios are they either ignore you or you die quick.

Today we've dealt with the themes of "the world is not what it seems," "free will is a joke," and "science can be a bad thing" so much that Lovecraft's stories don't pack much of a punch anymore.

It's why I have trouble getting into the stilted dialogue of comics of decades past. It doesn't mean I can't respect the groundwork that was laid, but we can't perfectly put our brains into that time/context either.

The Doom That Came To Gotham for that sweet, sweet Troy Nixey art.

Anything barely "unspeakable" turned into "Lovecraftian" and is often used advocating the horror quality of shitty movies/games

Kafkaesque is wrongly used for anything surreal, more often by people that thinks that surreal and nonsense are the exactly same thing.

I'm sorry but I cant get into it. I've tried

One of my favorites.

I heard Locke & Key was good.

The Army of Darkness comic sometimes dabble in the Lovecraftian side of things (what with the Necronomicon and all)

Fair enough. The first trade is a bit slow. How far did you get?

>you are less than a spec in an uncaring universe
>the concepts that terrified people of the past we have come to accept even as children in modern times
Now there's the real horror

This was alright but it's an alternate history bio with Lovecraft himself as a reluctant protagonist.

Please no meat-touching, ma'am.

Nigger man

This version was better

This is great.

neil gaiman

it's alan moore going "lovecraft was a racist XD fishrape"

for the record lovecraft was significantly more tolerant before his death but everyone likes to overlook that fact and smear him

I dont remember but it wasnt very far. Maybe I'll pick it up again. lots of comics I love have shitty starts.

I think Moore decrypted Lovecraft flawlessly in Neonomicon . Lovecraft horror is, when it all comes down, fear of change. Does no matter if by racial difference, sexual difference, wealth difference or religious difference, those common social anxieties plays out as unspeakable horrors on his works, and that's the overall appeal, and I understand that, but his approach for me turned into a cheap gimmick way too quick. Every time he is coming close to a resolution of any sort, he just goes "nope you can't comprehend it" and close the case. It's hard to invest on a story that you know for fact that will go nowhere, few people will survive and no conclusion to any arc will ever be solved.
The "survivalist diary" kinda works, but not for 20 or more stories. It's overall pretty boring, you know what I'm saying?

For the whole "monsters in the age of science", I would rather go with Frankenstein or Jekyll/Hyde

The first trade is probably the weakest part. It's worth reading through and judging it from the whole read, if you can.

There was one that had Lovecraft as a character as he was involved in a case that Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini are investigating.
It was called Edge of the unknown but I don't remember much about the story, it was fucking nuts tho

Short story long, Lovecraft was from a decadent prestigious family with no penny, so he grew a grudge on everything new or "modern", racial mixing included, but not exclusively, along with more open sexual activity, divorce and many other things that are a common motif on his works

- On the Creation of Niggers -

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

- H.P Lovecraft (1912)

what's the best lovecraft story and why is it the cats of ulthar?

His long, long text about how cats are "the noblest of animals" it's hilariously autistic. Look it up

Guy really loved some cats

Where did we go wrong?

I agree! It's a bit sad to see everyone on this board go "lol fishrape" on Moore's series. I thought it was a great deconstruction of Lovecraft's work. It wasn't done out of hatred, but just on going to the core of the author's issues that were clearly present in the stories, which was more than just racism.

I get the "boring and pointless" remarks, but I'm not sure where else you can go with the themes present in Lovecraft's works. Having the hero triumph or fully get what's going on isn't going to work in this kind of horror. Maybe if the apocalypse actually played out in the stories? Show the horrors of full societal change or whatever.

Yeah, exactly. You go up to someone and say life has no meaning and the universe is an unfeeling place with little to no rhyme or reason and the most they will do is shrug. That shit at its core is still scary and we have no real comforting answers, but we are kind of numb to it now. But a show like Rick and Morty, or an equivalent of it, would be obscene in the 1920s.

>For the whole "monsters in the age of science"

But the whole point is that the horror of Lovecraft isn't the monsters, it's the existential dread of being an insignificant speck in an uncaring universe. The monsters serve to carry that horror to the reader and the protagonists. It brings up the core feeling of the unknown and preys on humanity's complacency and comfort in their delusions of being the center of the universe and says "No, you're not important in the slightest. You never have been, you never will be. Your understanding of everything is wrong, and if you knew even a grain of the truth you would either go mad or weep and retreat back into your own ignorance."

Cosmic horror isn't like other horrors because it's not about what you can know, or see, or feel, or touch. It's about what you don't know. The fear of not knowing anything about your place in the world threatens people's security in their own existence. In a time where science was changing so much about peoples' understanding of the world around them, stories like that were very scary.

Lovecraft was one of the bigger drivers of "allude, don't show" and minimalist horror, and that has become a staple for horror without which every horror film would be vapid slasher films.

And as said, again: a lot of Lovecraft in the modern day has JAWS syndrome. It's not scary any more, but back then, in that time, it was frightening as hell. There is absolutely no question that Lovecraft had a profound impact on the horror genre that is still prevalent today, even in the horror books, movies, and comics that don't have flailing tentacles and unknowable elder evils.

This, Tanabe Gou made some. Yeah this is mango but style dont even look like animo soo comic still is great.

>all those fidget spinners

Technically a manga, but Ito's work is so good that I'm gonna go ahead and say fuck it and post this gem.

what is the Shadow Out of Time and The Whisperer in Darkness about?

Incidentally, Lovecraft would have loved Ito's Cat Diary. They both love cats.

He's the only one to blame

Squids are not scary at all! They are cute as hell, in fact

I read all his works, and some of his letters.
He does get repetitive, without a doubt, but never boring. I like his dream-cycle stories, they're truly amazing, and it is what made me read Machen, Lord Dunsany and the sort. If you read from those two, you'll really see where Lovecraft drew his inspiration, not from isolation.
Not to mention, his grandest work, the over-hyped Call of Cthulhu is a great story, but not for the reasons people usually say like lel cthulhu fthagn i'a rightlol?; It's a great piece of work about the balance of society and how easy it would be to drive the entire planet into madness with a flick of a switch.
tl;dr version:
I do admit, his "grave" stories are shit. Dream-cycle is 10/10, especially if you read Dunsany and Machen, his main mythos stories are unique and build a great world, even if you say it's leltooscary to imagine, that's not the main point of Lovecraft, it never was, it was just one of his shticks, and it didn't change the quality of his stories, they're like after-thoughts.

>HOORRD

Maybe it's because there is no such thing as manga/anime drawing style.

Ito's medicore. He is great at drawing creepy stuff, but he can't write a decent story to save his life.

The negro egg thing is actually from Planetary. So it's Ellis, not Moore going "lovecraft was a racist XD"

Jason Thompson has some buried in his site archives.

I knew I saw these guys somewhere before when I was reading this chapter.

lovecraft is now in the modern world and works on funhaus

Lovecraft thought he looked hideous, but did he really?

That doesn't surprise me. He seems like he thought EVERYTHING was hideous. His prose goes on and on about describing every last, least little thing as if it were the most hideous thing imaginable, and then when something that IS the most hideous thing imaginable shows up, all I can think is "I wonder if Flying Polyps or whatever would drive you insane or just look really cool if you're not a turn-of-the-century autist with Puritan sensibilities."

>Shadow Out of Time
Guy goes weird for a few years and then snaps out of it. He ends up having nightmares of an alien world. Turns out those few years he had his mind swapped with a member from an ancient race that could travel through time by swapping minds with living creatures at different points in time. While they don't have the courtesy of asking before taking over your body and leaving your mind in their's, the aliens are pretty chill, and as long as you don't make a fuss, they'll even t\let you read their research.

>The Whisper in Darkness
An associate of a scholar does research on paranormal and folklore in rural New England, stumbles across alien fungi-bugs. The scholar receives letters detailing the associates fear that they are stalking him until the last letter arrives with a "Its all cool, they're not so bad". The scholar goes to see his friend, find him in a hideout for cultists and is convinced the aliens aren't so bad by a meat-puppet of his friend, while the friend's brain is in a metal jar, waiting to be taken to Pluto.

The BBC did an audio version of Shadow over Innsmouth, read by Richard Coyle (AKA Jeff from Coupling, Moist von Lipwig). It's pretty great.

archive.org/details/BBCRadio4TheShadowOverInnsmouth

Normies.

Pretty sure the syphilis added penalties to his San checks, and normal people would just be a little grossed out, or fetishize them if not-so-normal.

what mango?

JoKos Wacky Random Escapades

I read one of his short stories where a mummy wakes up in a tomb and finds a mirror and goes on and on about how hideous he looks. Pretty much a self-insert story.

Poor guy, I'm glad his work is remembered fondly.

> I think alan moore hates lovecraft and doesnt really get him
You smocking weed bro? Go read Providence and try to tell me that again.
Providence is the ultimate Lovecraft homage

what I wanna know is if there was any work that got the same idea of dark gods and beings of great madness, unimaginable in the scope of the human mind, like pick related

Uzumaki is decent enoght tho.

Zalgo?

Is it a detective novel with a lovecraftian twist?
or a Lovecraft story featured around a detective?

I'm willing to bet it's the second one.

Nah, that story is pretty dumb.

it's a scooby doo episode

It's very Scooby Doo like but if you enjoy the Shadow you'll find it funny.

You know, I read this great article that suggested Lovecraft was gay.

The evidence was that one of his fans, a young boy in Florida, wrote him fan letters, which led to them collaborating on stories together.

This culminated in Lovecraft coming down to visit the boy for a couple weeks, staying in his bedroom. Kid was like a teenager, and a homosexual. Idk. Seems likely.

Yes, actually

user, are you trying to hurt me?

>most old ones and even the relatively "good" elder gods drive you batshit insane just by glimpsing at them.
no they don't. the implications of their existence can drive you insane, but it doesn't always. The PTSD from surviving your encounter with them which you can't talk to anyone bout without them thinking you're insane can drive you insane, but doesn't always. Devoting your whole life to finding out the truth of what happened when there's so few reliable information to be found can drive you insane, but doesn't always.
Just looking at shit in and of itself? that only happened like twice and both times it was more akin to the 'looking to the true form of Zeus killed Semele' kind of deal where it was explicitly a supernatural affliction rather than anything to do with what it actually looked like

I read a great article about how your moms hips are in dire need of surgery after I absolutely fucking destroyed them with my penis during intercourse.

I just spoke the first thing out of my head.

he's still had the problem of being unable to fucking plan out his panels though, holy shit

Morrison's Nameless

Milligan's Shade, the Changing Man

i completely forgot how fucking good the writing and imagery in shade was, i need to read it completely, my god

Pls no bully

not Sup Forums but the Chzo Mythos games

>most old ones and even the relatively "good" elder gods drive you batshit insane just by glimpsing at them.
No they don't. Lovecraft protagonists don't go crazy because they see weird shit, they go crazy because they realize their own place in the cosmos.

>When existential horror doesn't do it for you because "lol too dark no comprehend haha"

>Lovecraft
>not a racist hack

pick one

his KOOTOOLOO FATAGUN xD fanbase is equally cringey

for you

I heard it put like this: The Elder Gods and and Great Old Ones exist in more dimensions than we do. We're basically seeing creatures that exist in 5, 6, maybe more dimensions and our minds try to comprehend something that is impossible to comprehend. So our minds snap due to not understanding what we are seeing.