Will we ever get another thing like the Ultimate line...

Will we ever get another thing like the Ultimate line? An alt universe meant to introduce characters without the messy modern continuity?

I understand why they nuked the Ultimate brand, but I think the idea behind it was a sound one.

As long as Bendis doesn't touch it, I wouldn't mind a new Ultimate-like Universe.

Ultimate Spider-Man was fine. Everything else was cancer.

Fuck off, Ultimates 1 and 2 were K I N O

The problem the ultimate universe caught and any future universe created to be more streamlined is that eventually they will also become convoluted. Its just a futile practice. Not helped by the fact there was little to go back to in the Ult universe after Ultimatum.

No. Some kinda different imprint.

The regular Marvel is already loose cannon and altered.

Jean was always all phenoiexs now, dorrek viii never died. Jelff Lemire said Old man Logan is Wolverine. Planet Hulk never blew up. Etc.

Only SpiderMan has all his history.

I like Ultimate X-men, bit I've got low standards.

>Only SpiderMan has all his history.
user...

I for one would like another kid friendly line similar to the Marvel Adventures line.
Light on continuity, single issue adventures, connected universe.
But not overtly patronizing like the comics based off the cartoons that use literal stills from the show and have WATCH ON DISNEY XD on the cover.

that's really what regular team books like the Avengers are supposed to be for, or number 1's. To give you an entry point and a look at things without too much at once.
Marvel has forgotten all this. They've also alienated virtually everyone.

>Only SpiderMan has all his history.
>mephisto intensifies

Ideally you could mix it up. I liked how they handled the symbiote in USM, for example.

Marriage doesn't matter. The events still happened without them. Only losers want the marriage.

Based Marvel.

Literally end yourself. Autists who think them not being married is the problem clearly lack any kind of awareness. Them not being married is a product of the real problem. That Marvel is narrow minded and doesn't believe in growth.

Quesada detected.

Nope. That's why they are constantly retconning the main continuity.

I'll give you a (you).

Yes we will get a new Ultimate line. They have to start doing new stories though. No more streamlined bullshit like the Wolverine/Jean/Cyclops love triangle or the stupid fucking things like the Clone Saga.

Actually make make characters interact with each other more. I loved the Kitty/Peter ship and the new angles they had going on most characters. I may be in the minority, but I liked Ultimate Pym being a all out piece of shit.

You know what line I liked? Marvel Adventures. It was simple and wasn't bogged down in heavy continuity. A shame we'll never get a line like that.

Gay IceMan would have had a proper place to be gay without turning in gay. Like Earth-2 Alan Scott

>I loved the Kitty/Peter ship and the new angles they had going on most characters.
I'll have to disagree with you there. I hated it, mostly because Ultimate Pete and MJ had a great dynamic.

>Ultimate Pete and MJ had a great dynamic.

The hell they did. MJ was borderline stalkerish with how much she didn't want to let go of Peter. Ultimate MJ sucks balls.

Later on I'll give you. But I really liked her being in on his identity and helping him out.

Besides, Kitty Pryde gets enough action as it is. Fucking Bendis.

Ultimate MJ was just Bendis's dream girlfriend. She was the ultimate nerd fantasy. I love USM dearly myself. I just don't like Ultimate MJs portrayal. I won't even get started on Kitty. Bendis trying to get you to feel this deep emotional impact for someone who was in a annual and 1 volume was retarded.

I liked Peter-Gwen-Bobby-Johnny living together and I regret nothing

But Miles fucked that up

Just being back the Adventures line, MC2 and MAX imprint

You could have a new Ultimate universe with one book per character, maybe one writer... (never gonna happen:) a definitive ending.

Crossover events self-contained in a few issues, no retcons, well thought changes to the status quo.

/Thread

Ultimate X-Men could be shit in places, but I liked how they handled the politics of mutants.

Quoted the wrong post because I'm a faggot.

Earth One is this

Also comics are cyclical. ultimate universe was originally too big a success for marvel to not try again down the line.

Ive actually been reading everything reed richards to see how he turned into the maker and what he does as the maker. Ultimate had some interesting stuff, but boy was it a bit of a mess sometimes.

>Everything else was cancer.
Hickman's Ultimates.

It was just so mean.

USM was just ASM, slower and with uggo art. For a trad artist, Bagley really brings the uncanny valley.

Nah, It wasn't bad at all as a re-telling and slight warping of classic X-men stories.. and as another user said the political "real world" aspect of a mutant team was explored in interesting ways, one of the arcs "world tour" for ex...

I stopped reading at a point but I still have the first 50 issues in floppy, its decent stuff and has fairly consistently good art.

Dat Logan abandoning Scott in the Savage Land... god damn.

Ult universe was marketed as being more "real" and edgy, which was fine with me as a kid who liked the characters but wasn't so much for all the soap opera drama of the main series.

Hickman's avengers is where its at
>Inb4 Hyperion Bro detected

Do an Earth's Mightiest Heroes/Spectacular Spider-Man/90s X-Men sorta thing. A 'greatest hits' version of the Marvel universe. Retroactively good ideas like:

>Wolverine being a Howling Commando
>Peter, Gwen, and Harry being childhood friends and a best friend trio, the supporting cast having their Romita personalities since Ditko had everyone as quite mean and cold
>Based Hank and Jan from EMH
>Winter Soldier killing Iron Man's parents, would add an emotional aspect to Civil War besides the Registration Act, especially if Bucky joined the team before Civil War when he turned good
>X-Men having their 90s costumes
>Nick Fury basically being 616 Fury but black, with the hair and everything
>Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are Magneto's kids and Mutants again
>Aunt May and Uncle Ben are a lil younger
>Clean up Professor X and Magneto's origins, make em similar to First Class, but with the original 616 team

For continuity, yeah, have some there but do plots as they come to you, no matter when they take place. It's like every plot is inserting itself somewhere in the timeline. Tease little things at the ends of episodes, or do the Clone Wars/SuperFriends style thing at the end "BUT CAN THEY??? READ NEXT WEEK AS THE FANTASTIC FOUR HAVE TO USE MAGICAL MEANS TO DEFEAT DOCTOR DOOM"

Also, don't try to realistic things up. Keep the comic book nonsense, have the tone like Earth's Mightiest Heroes and 90s X-Men. Up the weirdness and colour. Have aliens learning at Kamar-Taj, have some common thugs have superpowers without being costumed criminals. Keep the year ambiguous. Have cell phones, but pay phones. Have Iron Man's origin be in Vietnam, have Punisher be a 'Nam vet but still relatively young.

No, not really.

What made Ultimate comics great was the re-imaging of a universe of capes that largely derived their powers from science and technology, fitting it into the huge jump in technology that happened in the 2000's.

If there was any justice in the world Spiderman would have ended with Peter hanging up his costume and joining the government as an adult.

I loved Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men, hell the Ultimates 1 and 2 were pretty damn good too.
Fucking Ultimatum was such a horrible decision.

I loved most of the Ultimate Marvel line until Ultimatum. I'll say that Ultimate War and Ultimate Human were a bit meh for me, and Ultimate DD/Elektra was okay, but nothing spectacular. But, the tentpole stuff, Spider-Man/X-Men/Ultimates/FF was solid until Ultimatum nuked everything. I actually did like the idea of Magneto going full genocidal terrorist, but a lot of Ultimatum was just over-the-top grim-n-edgy for grim-n-edgy's sake.

Yeah thats because Jeph Loeb went fucking bananas after the death of his son....

It really did nuke everything, I remember ppl at the time just assuming the Ult line was done with it, which kinda explains why it limped along for years after till finally getting axed.

I'll be ok with a new "ultimate" universe in 2020 re-imagining everyone again

Ultimate was good, I don't understand people saying it was cancer. Like, you wanted some of the plots to actually happen in the 616 and went mad because they did in the ultiverse?

We need more stories that comes to an end, even if we re-write it again and again

Somehow the Ultimate X-Men characters ended up being kinda interesting again before the final death, but yeah Loeb nuked too much.

That crazy chick with 1.5 brains, Zombies, cosmic cube, Squadron Supreme, Ultimatum fucked him up

I know there's self contained graphic novels out there already and stuff like Earth One.

But I want to see the big two throw big money at writers and artists alike to come up with definitive arcs and worlds for specific characters. I want distilled versions of our favorite heroes in their most suitable worlds featuring the most iconic and defining arcs - not merely retold but really custom-fit as if high-class authors just came up with the ideas and themes and motifs and the heros embodying them. Not just to tell a story about dudes in soandex clobbering each other(though that should be part of it, naturally) but to tell something meaningful with the essence derived from years of creative(ly bankrupt) output. Something that will say something meaningful with the characters, within the medium, utitlizing it all to reflect on the human condition, yadda, yadda, yadda...

To give an example: Most will have heard about the argument of X-Men and Avengers and other heroes sharing the same universe not making sense. It's sound. How can average Joe hate Mutants and cheer for heroes without any ability to discern? How are magic wielders not just as scary to them?
In this regard, does it make sense and more importantly does it further the story and character progression for Spidey to share a universe with... Galactus? Hulk? Iron-Man? Magneto? The same for every other character.

I've got this rough dream of a story in my head about a stand alone Hulk book, not weighted down with other spandex heroes about a sad man having to deal with his inadequacy, his timidness, his bottled up anger and finally being able to indulge in it, becoming larger than life, enjoying it, despising it, having the Hulk destroy his life...
There's a lot of places to go with a lot of characters, I think.

Everything about Ultimate that people complain about, for the most part, was after Ultimatum.... and if you think the shit that came after that was good I honestly don't know what to say to you.

>But I want to see the big two throw big money at writers and artists alike to come up with definitive arcs and worlds for specific characters. I want distilled versions of our favorite heroes in their most suitable worlds featuring the most iconic and defining arcs - not merely retold but really custom-fit as if high-class authors just came up with the ideas and themes and motifs and the heros embodying them. Not just to tell a story about dudes in soandex clobbering each other(though that should be part of it, naturally) but to tell something meaningful with the essence derived from years of creative(ly bankrupt) output. Something that will say something meaningful with the characters, within the medium, utitlizing it all to reflect on the human condition, yadda, yadda, yadda...

you want tryhard fanfiction... not comics, and it seems you want every single aspect of your fanfiction to be perfect.

fuck. off.

>Nick Fury basically being 616 Fury but black, with the hair and everything
Fuck you. kys faggot

I shudder to think of a modern-day Ultimates
>Cap was now gay for Bucky
>Wasp is now an Inhuman
>"Hank" gets replaced by a gender-swapped version who's gay married to Jan
>Betty Ross is now a MtF
>instead of the "cool or not cool" moment with Dubya we get Cap punching out Trump

Ultimate was great just I hated how they had the thought process that super edgy=modern. Like did anyone ask for a cannibal Hulk or a racist Deadpool?

>super edgy=modern

thats definetly what it ended up coming out like for a bunch of stuff but the idea iirc was to think about how things would be different outside 616, like desu if Hulk existed irl he'd probably just be a fucking rage induced monster that would maybe eat someone...

Not sure about the racist Deadpool, must have missed that.

I kind of wanted a canniblep hulk... and a homophobic Captain America. It just seemed logical for their characters to have those quirks. Then again Millar was on the creative team so I expected nothing less.

Ultimate was super dark which annoyed me at times. The character progression of the characters worked with it. I mean, we had Ultimate Reed becoming one of the most fascinating villains.

I freaking loved Marvel Adventures. The fact that I've never been able to find a torrent of the whole thing is a crime.

They really weren't.

I liked them when I was an edgy teen that didn't know shit about the Avengers, but now that I'm 30 and actually read Avengers and the greater 616 comics, I find them embarrassing.

It was in an Ultimate Spider-Man arc where Spider-Man and the X-Men were kidnapped by Mojo and hunted by Deadpool and his crew (I think it was the Ravengers) and Deadpool not only lacked really any of his humor but hated mutants being gleeful about killing the X-Men

Mutants aren't a race.

I'm 33 and it was a product of its time... and its not like its some long epic run anyways, its only 25ish issues (anything past 1&2 don't exist), at this point its a niche little thing some people like.