When that one guy who's never touched a Superman comic in his life starts explaining to you why Superman is bullshit

>when that one guy who's never touched a Superman comic in his life starts explaining to you why Superman is bullshit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pxnwG7v79UQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't understand what it is about comics in particular that makes so many people think they know everything about them without ever reading any.

Everyone wants to be smart, user, but no one wants to be knowledgeable.

>I don't understand what it is about western society that makes so many people believe that their opinions, about things they know nothing about, invest to time or effort to study or research, or genuinely have no practical interest in, should be taken with any kind of authority just because they happen to have an opinion.

Maybe not bullshit but its real easy to sum up who superman is with pic related

It's not just comics. Gotta love how literally everyone thinks they know everything there is to know about economics and politics.

Superman is bullshit because he has tons of powers, a base with shit that can weave indestructible clothing from light, an army of robot supermen, endure the only thing that can possibly hurt him, and can become a literal fucking god from staying in the sun for a few years. What the fuck are you on about, user?

True.
I prefer to listen to dedicated fans who've read tons of stories with him when they tell me why Superman is bullshit.

You're just embarrassing yourself.

I always get mad at these kinds of images

how do you punch out poverty, superman?

how do you fight human nature?

Well poverty isn't natural user. It is very much caused and sustained by certain peoples' actions.

>that guy who thinks Superman just punches things

You can't punch poverty, that's stupid. What is your point?

>He believes the human nature meme

you can't heat vision away ass rape, user

you can't freeze breath the evil in men's souls

Problem is you can't just remove the ones responsible at the top because others will simply fill their shoes; the game itself is rigged and you'd have to come up with a better alternative to capitalism, which at the moment we don't have.
We also don't have an army of robot Supermen and other alien marvelous inventions that would definitely be game changers, but if you open that can of worms you just can't keep doing simple cape comics.

Another big aspect of Supes is that there's always a better way to help. Punching poverty just doesn't work, but saving the lives of poor children from a burning tenement building might be something akin to helping with poverty.

Superman is literal the only superhero I can think of besides maybe Spider-Man who is a person before he is a superhero. Every other character is defined primarily by their amazing abilities and all the ways they can apply them to any given situation, but Sueprman's powers are almost secondary to the character.

You take away Batman's genius, money and training and he ceases to be the Batman that you know and love. He's merely a layabout billionaire orphan.

You take away The Flash's powers and he's just a good forensic scientist trying to make ends meet.

But if you take away every single one of Superman's powers, he continues to be that smiling beacon of hope and selflessness. HE continues to be the guy who'll throw himself headfirst into any situation if it'll mean saving innocent lives. Clark Kent isn't Superman: Superman is Clark Kent. And his main appeal will always be what he chooses to do with his powers, not what he can do with them.

The joy of Superman stories isn't seeing him beat the shit out of his enemies or creatively apply his abilities to any challenges he faces. The joy of Superman stories is seeing this guy who could literally do anything he wanted retain the humanity that makes him talk a suicidal person down from a ledge or make some little kid's day.

Anyone who makes an argument about Superman being overpowered lacks a fundamental understanding of the character.

lol, like all those times he tried to save people after his powers got zapped in infinite crisis?

>saving the lives of poor children from a burning tenement building

does he rebuild the tenement? does he provide education and upward mobility to those poor shit kids? does he effect cultural change to better their situation?

poor people are shit tenants and they probably started the fucking fire in the first place by leaving all that filthy goddamn cooking grease on their stoves from all that fried fucking fish they keep making and stinking up the place

>does he effect cultural change to better their situation?
He inspires people to help each other and be better people tbrough example, so yes. He also pulled them from a burning building, which is quite literally bettering their situation since their prior situation was going to be burning to death.

you are so full of shit it's amazing you can see at all

>intentionally missing the point

Superman's powers are meaningless. People aren't reading Superman stories to see him be the most powerful person in the room. That's not the appeal of the character. Complaining about Superman's power level is like complaining about Batman not constantly going out into Gotham wearing a suit of armour and murdering his enemies.

Human nature is GOOD, user. There are people who do bad things but that doesn't make all humans bad.
And Superman is there to help the people who can't help themselves. So you can't heat vision away ass rape but you can knock out the rapist with a flick. You can't freeze breath the evil in men's souls but you can show them that if they take that out on innocent people then there will be consequences.
People are better when they don't have horror inflicted upon them.

Like the London fire a few weeks ago, if we had Superman around he would have saved everyone in the building and then had a talk with the tenement owner over his slumlord ways, inspiring him not to cut corners with highly flammable building materials in the future.. He would have also built a shelter for the displaced people to stay in until they could get other accommodations.

Exactly. And unfortunately we don't have Superman. So we have to do the right thing ourselves. People HAVE to make a spectacle out of it, they have to be outraged, or else nothing will ever change.

>does he rebuild the tenement?
Yep.

>does he provide education and upward mobility to those poor shit kids?
When able.

>does he effect cultural change to better their situation?
How the fuck would he do that beyond trying to inspire them?

You're a goddamn imbecile. Stop using this as a springboard for your weird anti-morality, anti-poor tirade.

I think what really gets me about people who try to tell others that Superman is bullshit is that they all come across as these pseudo-intellectual cynics who just read Nietzsche for the first time and are eager to go around trying to shatter the perceptions of their small-minded brethren. It's always the same fucking arguments with the same hackneyed social stance. It's exhausting.

Eh, I've read a lot of Superman stories and he has just a handful of good ones and almost no great runs.

>When able

>can do anything he wants
>but he just helps people
mah heart

>So we have to do the right thing ourselves.
This is the essence of Superman. He's a morality tale. He's supposed to make us feel as if we can affect change and make the world a better place in our own small ways even if we can't leap tall buildings in a single bound.

You don't need to be Superman to help save a cat out of a tree. You don't need x-ray vision to spot and mend a broken heart. You don't need to fly to see all the suffering in the world and want to help.

None of Superman's greatest moments have anything to do with how many planets he can bench or how fast he can fly around the cosmos.

Pic related is one of the character's most defining pages and it's literally has nothing to do with being Superman -- it's all about being human.

>Why don't you put poverty in a bottle Superman?

Mate, Superman is the guy who'll go down to impoverished neighbourhoods on Christmas with a sack full of toys he bought on his own dime. He's the guy who'll take time out of his day to do repairs on a dilapidated school building. He's the guy who'll read any book he can find on algebra at super-speed so he can teach a room of wayward teenagers the importance of maths.

He goes the extra fucking mile.

Did you read Back in Action? Clark running straight into danger against Intergang and such to help people and get the truth out was a normal thing. He exasperated Jimmy Olsen, the kid who somehow always runs into an alien warzone and seems to come out riding a motorcycle rescuing at least two lost children.

Funny thing I noticed today. I know it is ABSOLUTE unrelated and whatever, but Superman's (And yeah, all superheroes) existence and rise in popularity coincides with the Allies fighting back in WWII and then the Long Peace which persists until today.

So.... I don't know. I like it.

>almost no great runs.

This is factually incorrect.

>Batman's Greatest Moments
"I've already thought of a million different ways to defeat you using prep-time and money and you's a you's a bitch haha I'm Batman."

>Green Lantern's Greatest Moments
"I just made a fucking functioning manufacturing plant out of willpower."

>Superman's Greatest Moments
"I'm just a really nice guy and you can be too."

Describe superman personality.

people angry superman is overpowered and unrealistic want to read a comic about him fighting poverty

gb2/bed/ Luthor

>Superman is shit because he is too powerful!
>Uhhh....Superman is shit because his greatest moments don't involve powers or any sort of dramatic flair!

Name a few then? Don't bother if you're going to name mediocre ones like Johns, Busiek, Kelly or Casey.

1. None of those are mediocre. You're shit.
2. Siegel and Shuster were good. Jurgens too. Tomasi is shaping up to put himself on that list.

>Jurgens too
Confirmed for shit taste. You need to read more good comics to see what constitutes as good.

up, up and away by johns was very good and Morrison's AC to name two

Can't forget Elliot S! Maggin.

Oh boohoo-hoo I'm not bitter and cynical about my escapist entertainment.

MotherFUCK I knew I was forgetting something.

DC really should release a few Maggin collections for Superman like they've released a ton of for various writers for Batman.

>no one suggested this user read Peace on Earth

Come on, guys.

>DC really should release a few Maggin collections for Superman

I've wanted this for so long, you have no idea.

But hell, they finally released Superman Adventures in trade which I never thought they'd do so anything's possible.

>another thread where Supefags circlejerk their victim complex over an overpowered fictional character

All superheroes are overpowered dude. It's kind of the point.
I mean, at the end of the story they're always going to win anyways. Why does it matter how much power they have.

I want you to close your eyes, user.

Picture yourself at your lowest point. You've lost hope in everyone and everything you once believed in. You feel worthless and powerless to do anything about it. Any attempt by you to change your circumstances only seems to end in further humiliation and dismay. You're at the end of your rope. The world is a cruel, uncaring rock in which the weak are systematically disassembled by the strong. There is no point in going on.

Now imagine that out of the darkness came a light - a Good Samaritan who sees what you're going through and relates to it. He doesn't try to talk down to you or push his own rhetoric down your throat -- he's no debater. He's just a simple guy with a simple goal and that goal is to help you to become the best version of yourself.

When he smiles, it makes you feel like you're the only person in the world that matters to him. When you take his hand, you feel safe and secure, like you have a true friend who can and will protect you from all of life's adversities. When he tells you it's all going to be okay, you believe him from the bottom of your heart because he sees everything that you are and he knows you can be so much more.

You don't understand why he makes you feel so inspired. He's just a normal, friendly guy. But behind his smiling face and congeniality, there's a quiet strength that belies an inner depth of spirit. He's not ignorant to the realty of your situation - he understands perfectly and yet he still believes in you and your ability to persevere through hard times.

You feel like you could talk to him about anything and he'll happily do his level best to match you tit for tat. Why? Because that's just the right thing to do. Because you're a good, interesting person who should be heard and he's the kind of guy who's always interested in listening.

He's everything you are and everything you want to be. He's flawed and he's human but he's also an ideal.

Up, up and away was everything that's wrong with Johns. It was an interesting premise that was solved with a DBZ tier fight. The only good story from his run was Escape from Bizzaro world.

Maybe you should read Squirrel girl and America too, user. Why be so pessimistic over an escapist character?

You misinterpret my post. That's what makes Superman better than other cape characters. His greatest moments revolve around his character and not around these fantastical feats or being better than anyone else. He's just a really nice guy and his greatest depictions make you feel like you can be one too.

>Up, up and away was everything that's wrong with Johns. It was an interesting premise that was solved with a DBZ tier fight. The only good story from his run was Escape from Bizzaro world.

You sound so pretentious with this it's parody of Sup Forums itself.

>Maybe you should read Squirrel girl and America too, user. Why be so pessimistic over an escapist character?

And this is a wild swerve into bizarre Sup Forums like accusations. Perfect.

>Picture yourself at your lowest point. You've lost hope in everyone and everything you once believed in. You feel worthless and powerless to do anything about it. Any attempt by you to change your circumstances only seems to end in further humiliation and dismay. You're at the end of your rope. The world is a cruel, uncaring rock in which the weak are systematically disassembled by the strong. There is no point in going on.
Ah. Thursday.

Yeah. Don't forget, he also uses heat vision and has ice breath.

Any question that begins with "Can Superman...?" will always be answered with a "yes".

He's truly such a great and nuanced hero!

You mean this guy?

I miss him

>how do you punch out poverty, superman?
>implying the image involved or insinuated violence in any way
>punching is superman's only power, talent, or potential problem solving tactic

10/10

You're literally just trolling now. You must have all the intellectual depth of a rutabaga if you think superpowers are the be all and end all of superhero characters.

>Superman is not relatable because he's an alien and strong!
>The super intelligent peak human multi-billionaire that is Batman is totally relatable to me a common person!

>hurrr you're dumb lol
Simmer down user. Just because Superman's a boring overpowered super hero doesn't mean you're not allowed to like him. I'm sure there's some redeeming qualities about him if you reach far enough.

I am willing to bet that this page already stopped several suicides

Batman is a self-insert character. He's a power fantasy. Think about it for a second.

The guy is a genius billionaire martial artist who is the smartest, coolest person in any room he walks into. He constantly goes around fucking supermodels and dicking hot villainesses until they turn into anti-heroes. Everyone either fears or admires him and even other heroes defer to him because he's just that smart and resourceful. Oh, and he can totally beat up all those other heroes who claim to be his friends because trust no bitch. He has no tangible real world responsibilities to people or to society: his entire life revolves around sleeping with hot women all day so he can dress up like a bat and be awesome at night. His biggest flaw? He's so smart and aloof that he's occasionally a dick to his friends who forgive him anyway because he's the best.

And that's exactly what his fans tend to want. You see, no one likes truly realistic characters. When people say the Batman character is "realistic" they mean that they can picture themselves becoming Batman in a perfect world. Everything else about the character can be fantastical nonsense so long as they can sit back and say "yeah, if i had money I could be Batman".

>when that one guy who's never touched a Batman comic in his life starts explaining to you why Batman will always win.

> Oh, and he can totally beat up all those other heroes who claim to be his friends because trust no bitch.

My favorite part of Johns' New52 Justice League was when Bruce tells Clark that his only plan to beat Diana was to have Clark do it. So he generally does trust Clark, but Clark is also an immensely powerful character so you have to have some backup.

Batman is hands down the most childish cape comic character right down to the more rabid members of his fanbase. Sure, his comics deal with very mature themes and subject matter, but the character is deeply immature.

You should read more Superman.
Start here.

You really don't read comics, do you? This question has literally been answered a dozen times over.

Honestly, I'd argue that while Batman's themes and subject matters are superficial more mature, Superman's show a greater degree of philosophical and intellectual maturity.

Take for example. Questions of global morality and saving the human race from itself and its circumstances are far beyond "if you have a bad day, you'll become a M A D M A N" in my books.

Nice argument there, user. I see how you never gave a reason to support any of your claims you've made. Your only argument is that quality doesn't matter when it comes to Superman. Every opinion otherwise is pretentious.

What else has Ross done besides this and Kingdom Come? I don't normally read comics for the art but his stuff just shits all over everything else except for maybe McKean, it seems like.

He also did Justice

He did marvel comics Marvels.

Sorry man my bad

Uncle Sam, Batman and Wondy GNs, Marvels.

Why would I even argue with you legitimately? All you did was say that those writers runs were shit without any reasoning at all.

Supes fans are a special kind of ass blasted.

Its bullshit because hes white

:^)

Hey guys, I used to be a superman hater, but a friend of mine showed me All Star and now i need more. Can anyone link me some superman runs of similar quality to all-star?

Thanks, I'll look into them. Peace on Earth was pretty good.

Because you never said what made them good. You just said not liking Johns' dumb comics is pretentious.

>Some reddit lmao nerd tries to tell me that Superman is a symbol of hope and optimism and that Snyder doesnt' get the character when he hasn't read a Supe comics in the last 30 years

>but the character is deeply immature.
Well, Batman is someone who couldn't get over his parents death and dresses up like a bat to beat up criminals to cope. He's a complete manchild. Fitting for his fans to be the most childish of them all.

thanks man

With a warm heart, a friendly smile, and the will to be the change you want to see in the world

Superman is the "teach a man to fish" of human spirit and kindness

Superman is a shit character. Just look at his powers. With his level of x-ray visions he could do cancer screenings. Cancer is in the body for years/ close to a decade before people go to the doctor. He could find cancers before symptoms manifest themselves making doctors able to treat and cure them before any actual major damage happens. In an afternoon he could save millions of lives. But he doesn't. Instead he fucks around with that woman, LANE. When your grandfather, mother, brothers and sons die of Cancer, your precious Superman is probably in the sky tongue fucking Lois Lane's asshole. He is no hero. He's no "Superman". If he's Super anything, it's Super selfish. You're false God is awful, awful man that is just a constant reminder that there are no gods watching over us and we as humans don't need him. Humans are the REAL SUPERMEN!

>You're false God
Then why is it called "Injustice GODS Among Us"?
Checkmate bathiest

youtube.com/watch?v=pxnwG7v79UQ

Kid in the top right looks like David Mazouz as young Bruce Wayne. Turtleneck and all.

>SBF
Ah, no, fuck these guys. IT's so uncomfortable listening to Matt and Pat discuss comic books. They have no idea what they're talking about, like, 9 times out of 10. It's even worse when Woolie is there and you can sense him getting quietly annoyed with their ignorance.