Castlevania

What did you guys think? I think we can all agree that western story telling and directing is much better than all that cringy shit from Japan.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-HyixXJ2kMo&t=45s
youtube.com/watch?v=iWMN91gMD_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I think we
newfag please

Four episodes seems a little too short. I guess Netflix was just testing the waters to see how this would be received before committing to a full season.

Yeah that whole tavern scene was totally not too long and totally not awkward or cringey

it's the only actual part i had any real problem with other than Mumbles Belmont, and it did set up the joke in episode 4

I think it's a more mature characterization among the characters. And by that I mean the characters are adults, not adolescents. Alot of Japanese stories involve adolescent characters.

Please stop this I was having fun discussing the church stuff and the weeb kept typing in caps don't bring him back.

One more episode would have been nice for Belmont/Alucard filling. More frames during the fights wouldn't have been too bad either.

Isn't "season 2" confirmed?

This was written 10 years ago as an 80 minute movie, first of a trilogy. Wonder how they're going to pace out the rest of CV3.

I'm in the middle of episode 2 right now. I really don't like Trevor's characterization in this. Getting on my nerves.
Had to pause because I'm getting annoyed.

I really enjoyed it. Exceedingly well done. Trevor was adorable and awesome. Sypha was cute and very sexy. And Alucard was everything I was hoping he would be.

I rather loved them showing just how evil the church is. And showing how their desires for power and control and everything is nothing but pure powermongering evil.

Some parts came a little off as forced. Like you said the entire bar scene felt unnecessary. Though I admit I did chuckle a bit when Trever tried to kick Alucard in the balls. Also Sypha's blush at the end for a split second when Alucard simply asked her a question was weird. Did his overflowing bishiness finally get to her?

Someone said 8 eps next season. Anyone got a source on that?

Also, Roman Catholics are relatively many in Transylvania, so it's conceivable this all takes place outside the Orthodox majority of the countryside.

this is only the first half of season 1, they're finishing the second half right now (according to Warren Ellis' last newsletter)

season 2 has already been confirmed

She also appears to wear bothing underneath her robes. Lewd.

Cool!

I liked the bitter mumbling desu

About that, after all the bragging about the Game of Thrones vibe and R-rating, I didn't see any nudity, not even from monster girls straight from the games.

Also no skellingtons and zombies yet when that's the first enemies you fight but I hope that's next season.

Nice. I wonder if Grant is going to be introduced then? If he is I hope they don't do some shitty love triangle side plot since he apparently had a thing for Sypha and was so butthurt when she and Trevor got married that he refused to attend their wedding. Though that information is from Judgment so I don't know if that counts as canon.

That is one thing I found unfortunate. I was hoping for more variety in Dracula's minions swarming out in his army.

When all the shutters in Castlevania opened, I hoped familiar and terrifying horrors would come pouring out.

Like Medusa Heads

Game of Thrones is just what people throw around to get normies and plebs interested in something that might be "violent" and "mature".

Well, it did talk about a guy fucking a goat, and had alot of blood, guts, gore, and death.

That works for me for an R Rating.

this is so awful
the writing is so awful
everything else is cool but the fucking characters
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Drac's castle looks so cool from the outside

>pauses a western animu 30 mins in to inform a Transylvanian blood drinking forum how he feels about young Trev 2 minutes into the series
Just finish the show, faggot. It's still nothing too special. Just play SMT

I want fanart of her doing this.

I can agree that the designs are a lot better than the horribly over the top designs from judgment.

Felt the same. Then again it's was only 4 eps so I wasn't really expecting much in terms of characters. Maybe they will fix that.

She has such nice dicksucking lips and bedroom eyes.

Are you kidding me, four episodes to get started. The series is name castlevania not ramdom evil priest. If this was an anime they would be already killing medusa or some other cool monster.

Someone doesn't understand the core of the Castlevania and Alucard story.

So, you've demonstrated that you know nothing of Castlevania's story?

someone played symphony of the night too much instead of Dracula's Curse

Is Ellis the ultimate fedora?
>s-s-science! thu church dunt like science! i am the mostest scientificest!

>someone played symphony of the night too much instead of Dracula's Curse

Of course, Symphony was the much better game.

There was that one priest who seemed to be a good guy and was able to produce holy water or whatever. The other priests including the bishop were so far gone that even God abandoned them because they were closer to the demons than they were human.

Technically all Medusa heads should turn you to stone not just yellow ones IIRC, they're all gorgons aren't they?

If they were translated as is they would be overpowered.

sure, if you like grinding and backtracking instead of actual good gameplay and level design

The show is inspiring me for future filename threads at least

I for once prefer classic castlevania. where the Belmonts where already on the quest to kill dracula. They are brief and to the point.

You don´t need to waste 20 minute to explain Dracula´s motivation. He is Dracula everyone knows he is fucking evil. If you want his Symphony of the Night backstory you can show it after you introduce the main character of your story.
It even gives more narrative weight to your story. first show dracula doing evil shit and then show that he has good reasons to be pissed of with humanity.

That's still so innacurate there where priests messing with alchemy and other crap that was considered heretical and they helped with a lot of research.

This is true.
This is someone who does not like complex games. Go back to FF.

Yes he is.

>That guy going on about someone fucking his goat

That's definitely some Ellis writing.

Did Dracula really do anything wrong here? They burned his wife alive while the whole city jeered with joy. Who wouldn't be fucking pissed? He even gave them a year. Them getting ripped to shreds was satisfying to watch.

>This is someone who does not like complex games
this is someone who doesn't like good games
go play kirby epic yarn, seems your taste and skill level

Priests did "natural philosophy" which was proto-science and alchemy, and a lot of what we now consider "magic" was contextualized by following in Solomon's footsteps of controlling demons rather than witchcraft.

Will a causal fag (never played anything past the SNES Castlevania - yeah Im old) be able to enjoy this as well?

>guy didn't look like Millar when he finally entered the scene
immediatly dissapointed

>all the action scenes

Holy fucking shit, absolutely incredible.

I really want to see a darker remix of
youtube.com/watch?v=-HyixXJ2kMo&t=45s and youtube.com/watch?v=iWMN91gMD_4

Oh yes. If you played Castlevania 3, you'll love this.

yeah
you might enjoy it way less if you liked the games

You do realize the church banned astronomy but astrology was a-okay; and they locked John Dee's ass up but retained him for his alchemy work?

thanks for proving your shit taste

Alucard is supposed to be stupidly sexy. He was literally designed by Kojima to be a Bishounen which is the appearance that he uses in this series. That quick blush was still weird though, but I guess it's to remind us of how inhumanly good looking he's supposed to be.

Before I get started, does it help to know anyone about Castlevania first? Because my knowledge of the story extends about as far as "What is a man?" and Wall Chicken.

For a casual sure. Castlevania is better than Metroidvania. The fact castlevania had manly designe and Metroidvania looks like Tumblr gay stuff for girls is just a plus

Sure

But apparently the church in Wallachia is corrupt as fuck. Corrupt church hierarchy wasn't unheard of, even if it wasn't the norm.

Nope, just jump in

He gave them a year to "make their peace" with God, then he'd still kill everyone. He was only merciful to the old lady at the start since she mourned her so he told her to GTFO of the country

But yeah what if everyone actually left, would he try to take over the whole world then?

yes user, I like good games
shame about you

Also the 1 year thing was because he couldn't summon all his beasts instantly, he was farming

This is the most retarded thing I've ever read on this webforum.

Did this show actually fall through a time-portal?

Everything about it reeks of 90s isms

This is based off of Dracula's Curse or the 3rd Castlevania game. It came out around 1989/90 so the story was pretty bare bones. Honestly you don't need to know about the lore of the series to watch this. You can just jump straight in and watch it with zero problems.

This. I have very little knowledge of Castlevania other than memes, and the game before last containing enough QTE to make Bayonetta blush and me just quit.

>80s franchise
>Soon 4 decades of franchise
>Older than the demographics it supplies
>Founded by Netflix & Konami for nostalgia bux
They simply like money user. Even if they used a shitty hack(Warren Ellis), the franchise has enough of a groundwork to weed out the worst of the creators tendencies to fuck up.

That's just Ellis being Ellis,

On episode 3 so far, and yeah, it's pretty edgy, missing some Castlevania music and kinda slow, but aside from that, not bad. Looks pretty and Trevor's pretty cool so far.

>those lips
Trevor is a lucky man. I'm glad they made Sypha attractive instead of trying to make her look "modern" and as un feminine as possible like say current Carol Danvers.

That comic was interesting though. Maybe not the story itself but the concept and ideas.

But this is super fedora. The evil priest is so cartoonishly evil

>and Trevor's pretty cool so far.
really? he's an emo kid
I expected Trevor to be driven at least

>those eyes
>that disheveled hair
>those lips
I want to kiss her on the nose.

He's not an emo kid, he's a drunk. Different archetypes.

He was evil before he meet her. didn't you see all those impaled people at the beginning of the story.
He even pointed out that he had kind of a reputation to his future wife.

a drunk emo

>he didnt like "I fought fucking vampires!".

Why do you guys hate anime so much? Sup Forums doesnt hate western cartoons at all

To be fair, we've had popes that were cartoonishly evil. I really don't get what's wrong with the bad priest archetype, it's been around for a long time for good reason.

I was enjoying the ride but it ended so abruptly, can't help but feel blue balled.

I want to drink her piss and watch her vomit.

I didn't see any emo there. Pretty chill actually, except when he's wading through sewers to help commoners who gave his family shit. That's decent reason to get grumpy, methinks.

Whats wrong with a cyclops?

No. I have pretty much zero Castlevania knowledge and I jumped right in with no problems.

You know what? I don't even disagree and you can see it in modern times but maybe I'm just bored of the archetype. Maybe because the church symbols in Castlevania are some of the few in modern media that aren't corrupt, regardless of the church members themselves.
Dunno, it seems narratively lazy IMO.

I'm concerned about the evil church guys only because the church is objectively holy in the games, but then Shinto is too and they work together, what matters is holy > dark.

But holy being effective against dark felt kind of tacked on after all the other stuff. It needed even just a bit more screen time for non-corrupt clerics. Maybe a priest who privately objects but can't do shit.

everyone knows anime is cringe even Sup Forums

They did burn dracs waifu in one of the games to be fair.

I thought the series was pretty good but it was way too short; it was more like a prologue than a proper season.

Is season two officially greenlit?

Where the hell was Grant?

Yes, it's eight episodes and coming next year.

Yeah, but that made him become Dracula and align himself with the devil. When we start the series he's objectively very nice even if his garden is full of skellies. "He's misunderstood, you see!"

They made Trevor too much of a Game of Thrones cool-guy but he's growing on me. Sypha is really cute though and I love the nods to the Castlevania lore. I really hope this series takes off because I've always thought the story of the Castlevania games was underrated.

Maybe they haven't met him yet. His Rogue character might have been absorbed into Belmont though.

Since this was kind of a prelude I assume Grant will pop in during the next season. Hopefully it's more than four eps.

It seems more like he still killed a bunch of people and then just chilled out after a few hundred years. I mean, he is still literally summoning demons from hell.

No, he was already Dracula before then in the games as well. Like in this show, he wasn't exactly evil before then, he just didn't care about humanity and stayed in his castle.

He only didn't kill and drain Lisa because she was hot, smart and spirited

Seems to be 8.

>No, he was already Dracula before then in the games as well.
I'm not talking about Castlevania III, but one of the PS2 games
that's such a teenage girl fantasy

Can you blame him?

this was only the first half of season 1, 4 more episodes coming in a few months.