What if Joker were the hero abd Batman the villain?

From Sean Murphy "Batman: White Knight"

Look Sup Forums, you got your wish come true!

wired.com/story/batman-joker-villain/?sf96256372=1

We've had Joker the Hero and Batman the Villain.

It's call Earth 3. Which they came up with prolly 50 years ago.

So Earth 3?

Look fag, you're a casual!

But that is Jokester and Owlman, not Batman and Joker!

Im just putting the title that the article has, not my fault DC is selling it that way

I'm tired with the idea of Superheroes tackling "real issues". I think Grant Morrison wrote something along the lines of:

>They are superheroes, they deal with super villans.

They are superheroes not your Governor. It's this fucking "gritty" and "real" mentality, I swear.

It seems like a superhero story but as a propaganda war of sorts

>[But] rather than write a comic about the wage gap, I gave those ideas to the Joker, who leads a kind of media war against Gotham's elite by winning people over with his potent observations and rhetoric.

The plot might or might not be cool, but the art is gorgeous

It's called I, Joker
Casuals pretending to know their shit.

>My main goal was to undo the comic tropes while changing Gotham from a comic book city into a real city—a city dealing with everything from Black Lives Matter to the growing wage gap
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand DROPPED.

This is officially going to be published by DC?
Who is the writer?

What the fuck are you talking about, moron? I'm saying the idea has already been done in an Elseworlds. jesus fucking christ

So it's a Joker becomes a comedian episode then? Out of all the things they could have done, this seems most out of character, considering Joker can't into standup.

Also be prepared for the countless "Joker was right" topics like there were with Red Skull

The article doesn't mention anything about the format or whether it's part of the new Doyle imprint.

>"My main goal was to undo the comic tropes while changing Gotham from a comic book city into a real city—a city dealing with everything from Black Lives Matter to the growing wage gap," Murphy says.
I thought Marlel had a monopoly on SJW comics.

>So it's a Joker becomes a comedian episode then?
No. Learn to read.

More like he'll be an activist not a comedian.

And it's a different universe, there is no "out of character"

>black lives matter
>wage gap
Literally no one needed politics in this, but okay.

Oh it's another episode of:

>SJW ruining something

I'm going to not pay attention and wait for this to blow over

What does he mean with new direction

What he's doing is going to be different. If people like it then some stuff might get folded in, but probably not.

So? It's an Elseworlds at any rate.

How did SJWs ruin this if it was Murphy's baby from the start

Yeah in this alternate universe blacks are unfairly killed en masse by evil white cops and corporations pay all women 66 cents to a man's dollar for identical work in identical positions. It's pretty fantastical.

the wage gap is a reference to rich vs poor, not male pay vs female

>My main goal was to undo the comic tropes while changing Gotham from a comic book city into a real city—a city dealing with everything from Black Lives Matter to the growing wage gap.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

This seems like it will be fine. Definitely pretty to look at anyway. I think it's a really misguided way to take on these issues. A progressive book discussing the author's views through the lens of a reformed mass-murderer and all-around monster who becomes a fucking politician of all things? That metaphor is going to get real fucking messy if Murphy isn't careful.

It will be all about the execution.
Does seem like it will be a really tight rope to walk though

They poison minds, bucko.

Murphy has always been a SJW, fuck, most comic book writers and artists are liberals.

>bucko
Peterson stop

Murphy's art is good but when he writes a story... wew lad

This is where you do this kind of stuff though. If it's bad it just gets thrown into the trash pile with stuff like Superman Earth One instead of being a big deal that has to get retconned.

Liberal =/= SJW

> most comic book writers and artists are liberals.

It's not about the political leaning of the writers or artist. The problem is that some of their work is starting to become propaganda, which is less than ideal.

Even if you are an artist, you want your ideas to sink into your craft, not parade them front and center. That's just bad propaganda.

Patrician taste.

>media war against Gotham's elite by winning people over with his potent observations and rhetoric.

Is that not what a comedian does? To be fair I didn't read the article

he becomes like a politican figure or something

OP probably should have posted it. For everyone:

>Batman has been a hero for decades, constantly saving Gotham City from mad men and murderers. But take away the cape and noble purpose and he's actually a terror—someone capable of causing as much damage as he prevents. And seen through the lens of the 21st century, a time when it's understood that vigilante justice is dangerous, Bruce Wayne's actions don't look much more safe or sane than the Joker's. And in his next incarnation, they're not.

>For Batman: White Knight, writer-illustrator Sean Murphy (The Wake, Punk Rock Jesus) created a version of Gotham with real, modern-day problems, and then let Batman solve them by making him the villain. How? In the comic mini-series' alternate-reality, it's the Joker—cured of his insanity—who sees that Bruce Wayne is just another part of the city's vicious cycle of crime and sets out to stop him.

>"My main goal was to undo the comic tropes while changing Gotham from a comic book city into a real city—a city dealing with everything from Black Lives Matter to the growing wage gap," Murphy says. "[But] rather than write a comic about the wage gap, I gave those ideas to the Joker, who leads a kind of media war against Gotham's elite by winning people over with his potent observations and rhetoric."

>Despite the fact that their roles are reversed, having heroes and villains who exist as a response to the current political climate is very much on-brand for Batman. For nearly eight decades the Joker and Dark Knight have faced off in the comics and onscreen, and each time, whether they're brooding or cartoonish, they've come to represent the kind of good or bad guys their audience needs. In the 1940s, when the Joker was introduced in Batman #1, the idea of having a masked vigilante face-punching foes seemed like a good way to fight crime. But in the decades since, society has learned that's not always the best course of action. "It's sexy to think crime can be stopped with a fist, but the real solution is a lot more boring than that: education, increasing wages, and building trust," Murphy says. "The line Batman rides between 'noble vigilante' and 'overzealous oppressor' will always be shifting as our own society changes."

>And much like the creators of history's various Batmen have changed him with the times, they've also updated the Joker to suit his environs. Over the years, he's been a sadistic psychopath and a giggling, greedy comedian depending on the story's—and the zeitgeist's—demands. That's been true in the comic books and onscreen. The original murderous conception of the character by Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson had to be toned when the Comics Code Authority was established in 1954, but in the 1970s the dark, murderous Joker came back. More recently, he's reflected the outlandishness of the 1980s thanks to Jack Nicholson's portrayal in Tim Burton's Batman, and the existential dread of the new millennium via Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight.

>And Murphy's latest version, which will hit comic book stores Oct. 4, is just as apropos. At a time when protectors fail to protect and propaganda has immense power, very few stories—in comics, at least—could be more of-the-moment than a series that shows Batman's vigilantism as part of a vicious cycle and the Joker's charisma as a marketing tool for his brand of justice.

>"We know the Joker is a genius, we know he's relentless, and we know he can play the crowd, so why not make him a politician?" Murphy asks. "Frank Miller modeled him after David Bowie. Chris Nolan showed him as a controlled sociopath. I see the Joker as Don Draper."

the end

>WHATS THE DEAL WITH RICH PEOPLE

Story is going to be great.

they should give me their money tbqh.

>a city dealing with everything from Black Lives Matter to the growing wage gap
>I gave those ideas to the Joker
Yay!

I'm asking who is the writer you retard. I know how Earth 3 works shit for brains.
I also asked if this is a legit thing DC is doing or just some Max Landis level fanfiction.
Are you feeling okay user? Are you shaking with indignant rage in front of a screen?

>Sean Murphy
The guy's art is great but his writing's crap.

You're not wrong, but I'd still rather have good books than bad books. Taking narrative chances can lead to great books. I think this article framing Batman as the villain instead of the antagonist isn't doing it any favors either.

Are you talking about cause that was an Elseworlds comic in the 90's where it took place in the far future in a dystopian Gotham run by some evil guy who took on the Bat-mantle.

>BLM is represented by the whitest man in comics
amazing

So wait, is the idea that Joker tries to manipulate social justice movements for his own uses? Because that could be interesting, though it might be hampered by the fact that Joker becoming a politician is complete lunacy since he's got a 3 figure kill count.

Joker actually Dave Chappelle before he fell into a chemical vat.

Well it is an Elseworlds where the Joker is cured of his insanity. So it seems like everything's up for speculation until the book is out.

He was answering a lot of questions on twitter earlier

Yeah but not much about the story itself. Mainly which characters are gonna show up.

I don't know. I think there should be variation, but I've been reading Golden Age Superman stuff and so many of those early stories are focused on tackling societal issues. It's pretty baked into the genre's DNA.

God damn it Murphy I was looking forward to this. Just stop. Im so god damn sick of all this political stuff. People are obsessed.

The whole story and the approach sounds really pretentious. Murphy described this shit as "this era's TDKR", Murphy my boy, that's not for you to fucking decide.

To be fair, and politics aside, Murphy has always been kind of a twat.

Are you referring to specific something? I came to realize his twatness with Tokyo Ghost. In the beginning they promoted the book as an ongoing and then I'm pretty sure he had a falling out with Memender and series was turned into a limited series.

>"My main goal was to undo the comic tropes while changing Gotham from a comic book city into a real city—a city dealing with everything from Black Lives Matter to the growing wage gap," Murphy says. "[But] rather than write a comic about the wage gap, I gave those ideas to the Joker, who leads a kind of media war against Gotham's elite by winning people over with his potent observations and rhetoric."

If this becomes Batman vs. Bill Hicks, I'll be down to check it out.

Yeah, it boils down to "I'm gonna do things my own way, and if others like it then they can take what they want. If nobody likes it, at least I'll have gotten it out there."

Just the impression I get from following him on twitter. Like the other day he was complaining about not getting an Eisner while every other artist was like "I really don't care if I get any awards or not, man"

Eisner are a shitshow but he has never actually done anything award worthy and I don't think he ever will.

he should try being on a worthwhile book first
like he brings out the worst in authors

You guys do realize there are artist-centric categories in the Eisners, right? Writing is completely irrelevant and Murphy always brings his A-game

>making
Is no one going to talk about the picture Joker has of Batman and him about to kiss?

How fucking casual are you?

If he actually delivers, it might be cool.

the whole thing that's interesting between the Batman/Joker dynamic is how the characters fit into their roles.
the dark, brooding, shadowy figure of the night is the hero
the happy, sunny, boisterous clown is the villain
swap their roles, and it becomes genetic and stupid

Batman RIP was great though.

I gotchu bro

>It's this fucking "gritty" and "real" mentality, I swear.
Which is why I think it's a good idea to force this shit into retarded casuals brains. Batman is not realistic, if he was he'd be fucking insane.

I'm glad we're finally getting a story where Batman is the villain. Tired of this "Batman is incorruptible" bullshit Taylor spews over in Injustice.

But ASBAR did that and people hated it

Wasn't this damn book a continuation of All-Star Batman by Snyder? ....the original plan was for this to be an arc in that series wasn't it? what in the fuck is going on?!

No?

This is a book Murphy has been working on for a long time and is an elseworld.

Snyder's shit isn't coming for a while.

Murphy got robbed in 2016 when Tokyo Ghost didn't even get an penciler nomination when fucking Henderson and Allred did

Yes, it IS okay when DC does it from reading the article. Because when DC does it, it's not forced into canon. It actually is exploring different sides of a hero which opens new possibilities of stories.

This guy has nice art. He did Toyko Ghost right?

Yup, and Chrononauts, and The Wake

>Coming soon
>Batman the le epin White Knight xD
>ft. Cuckboi Murphy

>SUfag
Figures.

So? It's shit at any rate.

>Not really an SJW
>muh oppressed BLM members
>muh wage gap

Ok kid

>implying I don't save every reaction image I find to my collection