What was the worst ever era of Superman comics? What was the best?

We had a fun, similar thread about Batman last night (), so I thought, why not have one about Big Blue?
Worst in the 20 years I've been reading: New Krypton era. Started out promising, but went on for far, faaaaar too long.
Best (or at least my favorite): I may get lynched for this, but the 2 or so years before Infinite Crisis, aka the Austen/Rucka/Azz/Loeb era. It was the last time before Rebirth when Superman felt actually relevant in the DCU. While not everything was great, at least they were willing to shake up things and introduce new stuff.

right now

this

Let me guess you can't relate to him since he got married and has a kid now

no, because Tomasi isn't that good of a writer, Jurgens is boring as shit, JL isn't very good, Supergirl is the worst its ever been and Superwoman is a fucking mess
New Super-Man is fantastic but besides that, it's mediocre to bad
at least New 52 had the Adventures of Superman digital first series, Morrison, Johns, Pak, Yang and a great Supergirl

the best era is the John Byrne era, you had Byrne the unquestioned best artist alive at the time drawing both Superman and Action Comics monthly

>tfw Nu52 Supergirl is the only Supergirl I've ever read or been interested in
>mfw this new shit

Early 80s to current era.

But his writing was boring without Claremont to co-write or Shooter to handle his autism.

I agree with the rest, but Supergirl being super was good. The best Supergirl story since cosmic adventures in the right grade.

I forgot about that, yeah really good but Orlando is Godawful

this is a fair opinion.

New fan, but those two or 2 or 3 months in the new 52 where Lobdell was writing action comics and superman were pretty bleak times

>Rebirth is my first time buying comics.

Ironic since reblandfags have a boner for a mediocre writer like Tomasi and a bottom tier writer like Jurgens.

I haven't read much of it personally, but I thought the general consensus was that Grounded was the worst period?

The worst is the current one.

Spot on, OP.

The worst phase really is the middle of New Krypton.

The best phase really is a little before IC, even though I like the post-IC very much, too.

It is just Sup Forumsntraianfags and Marveldrones pissed that Superman and AC sell better than almost any Marvel book. I shit you not, the same fags that say that "CURRENT SUPERMAN IS THE WORST REEEEE" also thing that Spencer's Captain America is the best Captain America ever written.

Nope, because "Black Ring" happened in the same period.

Where are you?

Has there even been a good Superman era? Everything after Byrne left and every has been abysmal, with a few decentish moments. Yesterday in the Batman thread, people could easily name the good Batman eras. I don't recall any such era for Superman.

People are doing it right here, right now.

low standards if you think Jurgens is an acceptable writer

Low reading abilities if you saw someone here saying "Jurgens phase is the best phase".

Also, Jurgens wrote the second best Thor, only behind Simonson. You are basically saying that Thor has no good runs, too.

People thought Snyder was.
Electric Superman era. It honestly felt like they had just run out of ideas which also what the era right before the reboot also felt like. 2003-2011 was just utterly boring and devoid of interesting stories. Then 2013-2016 was also really bland and boring. I'm loving the current era.

People ITT are saying that they're loving Jurgens Action Comics.

I'm dedicated to being that one cunt to come into every Superman thread to remind everyone how great Smallville Season 11 was.

It was great you guys.

Fuck yeah we are.

After suffering through the slog feat that was the Lobdell arcs, the Truth arc, the Savage Dawn arc, and whatever retarded shit Newb 52 brought, in glad for mediocrity.

It's a fucking step up

Show me the comment that says this. I can only find spergs REEEEEing and saying that the current phase is the worst one and getting angry when people disagree.

I'm* nigga

There's been a couple people I've met who like it. I've enjoyed the most recent arc. Superman really needs someone to take his rogues gallery and reinvigorate it. When was the last time Parasite got used and was a threat? I think he needs a redesign, but he really should be used more often.

>extremely bloated incarnation enjoyed by small fanatic core
>gets replaced by streamlined reboot that alienates old fans but attracts new ones
>company reverses course by introducing "like you remember but better!" revamp that lures back old fans but alienates reboot fans

Am I talking about Post-Crisis Superman or WOTC Dungeons & Dragons?

>small fanatic core
>the sales have been better then they have been in years
Sure nigga

Idk if it's the worst but I'm not a huge fan of Tomasi's Superman. I get he's a family man but it feels like there is more emphasis on wholesomeness and cute family moments then telling interesting stories. Every time Superman teaches Jon a new lesson or moral it feels tired and predictable, and the character's progression and general presence doesn't seem to add much to the story other of pleasing fans with Superfatherhood and Clark finally having a family.
>inb4 you can't relate to having a family
Not the issue, because although I'm not a family man, the relatable-factor isn't the issue for me. I can't theoretically relate to Mr. Incredible but I was enthralled by The Incredibles nonetheless, because while the story is about family, each of the character's motivations and struggles are relatable as PEOPLE, not family members, and the overall story and writing were stellar obviously

still applies to both ironically

>Early 80s to current era.
Nah dude, it's all about that 70s stuff like Elliot S. Maggin and Cary Bates.