JSA Storytime: Mr. X

Good evening owls,

We're reading this tonight because why not

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/story/batman-joker-villain/?sf96256372=1
twitter.com/Marvel/status/882683004711129088
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OP you sigiled Starman into the Snyder event

Shout to to some badass user who uploaded all of this, I just picked VOLUME 1 and ran with it

What the actual fuck, man, we might have to go back to it now

the 80s gave us a lot of sheer style comics

Hello, Storyteller.

Sorry to start with something random, but this has been on my mind all day. I fucking hate, HATE when writers portray Wondy as being invulnerable. Sure, being semi-divine makes her a might tougher than the average person, but the bracelets are there for a damn reason. Like, if you need her to no-sell a hit from someone with Supes level strength, just have her block it. It's like, her thing.

So anyway, what is this, and why does it seem familiar? I swear this book has come up in conversation before.

an user storytimed the whole thing one time and I think it was recced

half of my downloads didn't work right, though :( (volumes 2 and 3)

Also this is Xaime and Beto drawing, but the design, the bones of everything, is deeply Motter--sometimes he draws, sometimes he doesn't

For some reason, this reminds me of Dick Tracy. Maybe it's the cartoony yet gritty style?

Also, my brain won't let me read the dialogue without 1940s gangster accents. Nyeh!

how about that god-tier DC trolling today?

price drop? yeah that's pretty nice

>how about that god-tier DC trolling today?
???

"We're dropping the price on our event" right when Marvel is all "SE is more pages and more money"

I swear this was planned from the start. $4.99 an issue seemed like a lot to me (even with the foil cover gimmick).
I remember in the solicitation thread that many people thought that was too high, even for an event

Very nice. It's always amusing when companies point a direct middle finger to competitors.

Also, this Santos dude is just flat out a Jeffery Combs character.

>BATMAN HAS BEEN a hero for decades, constantly saving Gotham City from mad men and murderers. But take away the cape and noble purpose and he's actually a terror—someone capable of causing as much damage as he prevents. And seen through the lens of the 21st century, a time when it's understood that vigilante justice is dangerous, Bruce Wayne's actions don't look much more safe or sane than the Joker's. And in his next incarnation, they're not.

>For Batman: White Knight, writer-illustrator Sean Murphy (The Wake, Punk Rock Jesus) created a version of Gotham with real, modern-day problems, and then let Batman solve them by making him the villain. How? In the comic mini-series' alternate-reality, it's the Joker—cured of his insanity—who sees that Bruce Wayne is just another part of the city's vicious cycle of crime and sets out to stop him.

>"My main goal was to undo the comic tropes while changing Gotham from a comic book city into a real city—a city dealing with everything from Black Lives Matter to the growing wage gap," Murphy says. "[But] rather than write a comic about the wage gap, I gave those ideas to the Joker, who leads a kind of media war against Gotham's elite by winning people over with his potent observations and rhetoric."

wired.com/story/batman-joker-villain/?sf96256372=1

that'd be pretty great

I hope DC takes all of marvel's good artists and puts them on the prestige format books

I think Multiversity was 4.99 an issue

Murphy is a mediocre at best writer desu

Can't imagine this being better than mediocre writing with bleh concept and good art.

these faces are awesome

Aw, I wanted Paradax/Zenith. I'll take some Bros Hernandez tho!

my lazy ass didn't get anything downloaded lol

Okay, DC. We need to talk.

Next time you do an elseworlds, use a different character. You are completely out of ideas for Batman. You're out, dry, done. You have other characters, not everything has to be about Batman.

Everybody got that? Not everything has to be about Batman.

>focused on the free food

OH SHIT STEALTH CROSSOVER

They would if things other than Batman sold well and if batman anc co didn't make up more books sold in bookstores than other whole comic publishers

Tell that to plebs like Murphy, who loves the shit out of Batman and only agreed to work semi-exclusively for DC if they let him do whatever he wanted with the character.

Yeah, and I wanted Nu52 Amethyst. Life's full of disappointments, pal.

Although, I say that, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't kind of enjoying this so far. Maybe I'm genuinely interested in what's going on, maybe I'm just happy to be reading a non-cape book for once.

whoops

user needs to work harder on their fanfiction

>reading a non-cape book
What is everyone else reading in their spare time? I recently got through Button Man (John Wagner) and it was fantastic

>surfeit of perversions

>I wanted Nu52 Amethyst
lol why, that shit was boring as fuck
The Beowulf backups were nice though

lol

>tfw when Marvel does a 101 video on Atlas long after the book he was on was cancelled

FUCK YES MISTER X
It'll be good to have a digital copy to go with my hardcovers.

it's embarrassing that people are still falling for that guy's fic

To be fair, he's still less of a FAGGOT than OP.

really?

lol :(

Maybe other things would sell well if they bothered to give them some decent promotion.

See, DC has fallen into the classic trap of putting way too much attention on a single successful property. Putting all your effort into something that's already a guaranteed seller, often at the expense of your other IPs, is, well, stupid.

twitter.com/Marvel/status/882683004711129088

And they reference Buckybolts as Erik's chance to turn to the light side for good, too.

> Beto March '84

Damn this is ancient

this is older than most of you, right

I really like the coloring on this, and the contrast between the blue and orange.

it's got a nice wash to it, not just flats

>Fanta
Anybody remember Amazing Heroes?

Anyone wanna take bets on how hard Marvel Legacy is gonna bomb?

Based on his online, I can believe Waid has long-standing anger issues

He needs a therapist.

I mean, it's essentially nothing. There is no substance to Legacy as a concept. Say what you will about Rebirth, at the very least it has a clear goal and direction. DC fucked up, and they're trying to fix things without wiping the slate. Legacy though? Marvel doesn't seem to even be acknowledging that it fucked up.

Every person addicted to capeshit does desu

we're gonna need a Legacy betting pool too

Agreed. DC put in the effort to try to get their books back on track. Marvel seems to want to increase sales,but not actually address any of the problems.

> which of the new books will get shitcanned first?
> which of the Marvel Nower books that got a Legacy label will get shitcanned first?
> which books will be the Deodato/Malin/Land containment books?

REMINDER THAT THIS IS THE MOST UNIQUE VISION IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF COMICS

DEAN MOTTER IS A FUCKING GENIUS AND A VISIONARY OF THE HIGHEST ORDER

Some parts of the fic are kind of convincing, huh--the "we know people love Runaways but we can't seem to ever make it happen again, mini should do something:"

Did you get it from the pastebin? I recommend everyone on Sup Forums download the full series because it's some utterly amazing stuff, especially the first volume and the recent-ish revival at Dark Horse.

The "Runaways is a mini" and some of the other more believable stuff was taken from BC.

Isn't Land going to work on Hulk next? Malin did the cover for Two-In-One, wouldn't be surprised if they dumped him there honestly.

I did but volumes 2 and 3 fucked up so anyone who has it...

What was wrong with volumes 2 and 3?

Malin being put on a book is a sign that editorial wants it to fail.

>I wanted Paradax/Zenith

This is better. Mister X is one of the most underrated comics ever.

the files won't open, IDK

I refuse to believe anyone in Editorial looks at that art and honestly thinks "This is fine"

Perfect for Two-In-One then, since Perlmutter hates the F4.

This shit is masterpiece level. Ludicrously underrated series.

So is Paradax. It's the original post-modernist superhero.

>I refuse to believe anyone in Editorial looks at that art and honestly thinks "This is fine"
They probably only have Malin around at Liefeld's behest. Not sure why they'd want to be on his good side since Liefeld is the punchline of the industry but whatever. Marvel gonna Marvel.

Beggars can't be choosers?

did you see Malin's Moonstone pitch?

Since Liefeld still sells for some goddamn reason I can imagine them being retarded enough to think that they could cash in with a Liefeld jr. they wouldn't have to pay nearly as much.

Go on...

I hate to sound like a hipster, but am I alone in kinda preferring the older, simpler artsyles, as opposed to the overly detailed current stuff? I dunno, the simpler art is just easier on the eyes, and easier to follow. Plus, I have to imagine it's much more deadline friendly.

It was awful.

>Al Ewing is on Spirits of Vengeance. Editorial likes him, but he can’t sell a book to save his life. They just want someone with a love of Marvel lore to write the magic/horror characters to have them prepped for future Movie Phase exploration with a Blade reboot. They know that corner of Marvel horror needs its own “Annihilation.”

is this BC? because this is also weirdly believable.

They have been reprinting old Marvel horror stuff like crazy recently.

>I pitched a bad ass Moonstone solo called "SOFEN" it was described as Kill Bill meets Red Dragon. Next project is bad ass but not this.

I full-body shuddered

Simpler art shows up any composition infelicities much more obviously