Okay fags I wanna get into comics because I fucking hate myself. where do I start?

okay fags I wanna get into comics because I fucking hate myself. where do I start?

Other urls found in this thread:

corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Read some Hellboy user. Everybody loves Helboy.

Go read Bone by Jeff Smith

If you want capes looking up a list is easy, check the Sup Forums recommended tumblr

>get into comics

Go to the library, read some comics.

corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forums_Recommended_Comics_Wiki
What genres do you like?

The Goon
Hellboy
Boxers and Saints
Grant Morrison's Animal Man
The Maxx
Tom King's Vision
CAGE by Genndy Tartakovsky
Hillbilly
Superman Peace on Earth
Shazam! Power of Hope
Blacksad
The Tick
Scud the Disposable Assassin
The Eltingville Club
Dork
Infinite Kung Fu
Rom Space Knight
Nemesis the Warlock
Elric of Melninbone
Jack Kirby's The New Gods
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Peanuts
Calvin and Hobbes
Bone
Cerebus (mainly issues 1-200)
Hillbilly
Maus
Christopher Priest's Black Panther
Persepolis
Concrete
New Super-Man
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
V for Vendetta
Watchmen
A Contract with God
The Sheriff of Babylon
Clan Apis
My Friend Dahmer
Godzilla vs Charles Barkley
Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's original run on The Fantastic Four
Fraction's run on Hawkeye
All-Star Superman

If Marvel Fantastic Four number 1. If DC I dunno, anything by Jack Kirby. Just read Kirby really because everything else will be a disappointment

Also, every Wednesday there are storytimes of new issues on Sup Forums.
If you like it, please support it

with a noose

Most of these assholes are going to call me a weeb for this but I doubt anyone else with mention this so whatever. Akira is quite possibly the finest comic ever written and should be put on the same pedestal as Watchmen, Blacksad, and Cerebus. It's a little over 2100 pages but don't let that scare you. It's not very dialogue heavy and there's many double page spreads of action scenes and things like that.

But if you're wanting to dip your toes into the ocean of western comics, I think Vertigo's many fine titles are a good place to start. Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore, The Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Preacher by Garth Ennis, and Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis all come to mind.

If you're wanting capeshit, the closest recommendation I can make is The Punisher by Garth Ennis.

don't

it's a joyless hobby

reading about heroes who don't exist being invested in stories that don't matter

Also, here's some basic terminology
Floppy: A single issue
Trade: A collection of issues
Omnibus: A collection of trades
Some people support comics by waiting for the trade to come out while others support comics that don't get much attention by buying issues

Sandman's great.

Neverwhere was my first serious graphic novel, and I loved it to bits.

Star Wars has a heap of really good comics from over the years.

If you're after more grounded stories, you might check out Ennis's War Stories, or Punisher Max, both are great if you like standard shooty action stuff done well. Ultimate Marvel is a fairly decent set of rebooted material that's very newbie friendly, and tends to be the source material for most of the MCU.

Yeah, no one would mention it because Akira is Sup Forums

I thought people here like Akira?

Dont go straight into the monthly floppy releases, start with Trades and OGNs.

I understand that, but Sup Forums won't talk about anything if it's not kawaii or fanservice or whatever and that annoys the shit out of me. Akira is one of those titles that transcends weeb shit.

I'm honestly not sure. I think it's not kawaii enough for Sup Forums and it's weeb shit in the eyes of Sup Forums so damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I personally liked Fables

Depends what kind of thing you want to start with.

Sure, but you wouldn't go on Sup Forums and tell everyone to read American Splendor.

I storytime all of Mask and Mobsters comic but it archived. It's a self contained universe if you just want to read some fun shit that pokes fun at various things, with a good dose of noir.

As others have said, Hellboy is brilliant. Plus the fact its very episodic outside the Wild Hunt to In Hell arc means you can pick up almost any trade and you wont feel lost.

The various 2000ad series are great. Personally I'd recommend Nikolai Dante and Shakara.

My personal favourite cape run is Starman, written by James Robinson. While it needs a bit of prior knowledge about the history of the DC universe, its strong focus on theme (the past and how people interpret it) puts it above the rest.

>roll a rng
>14
From Hell it is

Now that's a start of a comic book adventure.

welcome user

black science
sandman
the incal
Tom King vision
kill or be killed
extremity
klaus
godshaper
jms Spider-Man
new super-man
birthright
quantum and woodie
priest Deathstroke

recommend some brubaker and remender and priest

avoid Ultimate Marvel

use comicbook heralddot com for marvel shit

if reading capes, pick up whatever cape interests you, and move on from there

Nice bait but assuming you're serious then: Love And Rockets, Love And Rockets, and Love And Rockets.

C'mon the Vertigo comics are basically capeshit in all but name.

Also the "Blacksad is amazing" meme has to stop. It's resolutely average noir anthroshit and Guaranjo or whatever his name is draws clothing that all looks like it's made from the same type of material. Nice watercolour technique but it's kind of "meh" for cartooning.

You know that biographical, journalistic and historical comics are a thing, right?

I really liked The Vision and I pretty much hate modern capeshit. King's Batman stuff is fucking terrible though