Mark Waid thread

>there are people in this board RIGHT NOW who will defend Mark Waid

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magog_(comics)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

As many contrarians as we've got here? Yeah.

What did he do this time?

Link to the full thing?

It's from a book about Fanta's history, We Told You So: Comics As Art.

I'll defend him: He's trying.

Champions is medicore, but it preaches a decent message. And it's not SJW, aside from the constant use of the SJW concept of "punching up vs. punching down". You can see this from the constant SJW outrage over his comic.

Champions had Muslims fundies as the bad guys at a time when most comics are afraid of having Muslims be anything but perfect angels. And the Champions' greedy enemies, the Freelancers, are 80% female and mostly minorities; quite distinct from the SJW desire to make all villains cis-white males and nothing else.

And now, most recently, he's getting shit from SJWs over the most recent issue because of oppressed minorities who'd rather live in relative safety and calm of an internment camp then being constantly on the run in the wilderness living rough. This criticism coming from the typical spoiled upper-class types who've never done anything rougher than sleeping in a tent for a night.

His bevahior in the 80s? No clue about that.

What's so wrong about Irredeemable?

>X in the 80s? No clue about that.
The explanation is usually coke.

he ruined Flash comics forever by making the speedforce
he created Bart, yet PAD and Kesel wrote him way better
his most famous work is him REEEEEEING "not muhhhhh" over Ross' stilted artwork
he killed the Jughead comic

Well, there is a reason why Mark Waid's never been able to sustain himself purely on creator-owned comics despite how long he's been in the game.

I like his Daredevil.

Makes sense.

>his most famous work is him REEEEEEING "not muhhhhh" over Ross' stilted artwork
>he killed the Jughead comic

Wat?

Kingdom Come

>>his most famous work is him REEEEEEING "not muhhhhh" over Ross' stilted artwork
The story behind the character of Magog is "Mark Waid and Alex Ross really hate Cable".

Other than being a general critique of "darker and edgier" 90s characters, what does Magog have to do with Cable, as opposed to any other 90s edgelord?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magog_(comics)

>The character's appearance was based on that of the Marvel Comics character Cable. Magog's character design was based on superhero design trends of the time, especially Cable, and Cable's creator Rob Liefeld himself. Alex Ross stated, "As I remember, Mark originally told me, 'Make him look like everything we hate in modern superhero design.'" Ross has gone into more detail in an interview with Comic Book Resources:

>“That's a character that Mark Waid invented that was really just put to me like come up with the most God awful, Rob Liefeld sort of design that you can. What I was stealing from was - really only two key designs of Rob's - the design of Cable. I hated it. I felt like it looked like they just threw up everything on the character - the scars, the thing going on with his eye, the arm, and what's with all the guns?"

Wow, I had no idea.

Between the horns, and the lack of pouches, I never thought "Cable".

Nice b8

This board loved kingdom come back in 2012 before Sup Forums and Sup Forums colonized it. Maybe you should lurk more and get to know this place's history before you spout half-baked bullshit """"opinions."""

>That's a character that Mark Waid invented that was really just put to me like come up with the most God awful, Rob Liefeld sort of design that you can
Not nearly enough pouches or embarrassingly oversized guns.

Kingdom Come is a better Watchmen than Watchman, with REAL super heroes.

His empire disappointed me a great deal.

On Sup Forums in general ANY creator of content is as good as the worst thing that he had done right?

Sup Forums is fickle.

i liked irredeemable desu

>Squadron Supreme is a better Watchmen than Watchman, with REAL super heroes.
FTFY

Some people still like Kingdom Come. Believe it or not "this board" is made up of many different people who don't all share the same opinion

JSA the Golden Age is better

In Waid's case, it's autism. He had another autistic fit when he watched Man of Steel, had an episode right in the theater when it turned into Man of Murder.

He's had some misses but it's not like his stories are unreadable.

And Irredeemable is free ride for life good.

He also might be killing off Betty in the current Archie series. He's shitting all corners of that universe.

I'll always take fanboy manchild Waid over Groth's oily sneers OP.

The scene he wrote were Daredevil chastises Rachel Cole-Alves during Omega Effect is the worst most misguided thing I have ever read in comics.

What did he hear on the calls, Sup Forums?

>What's so wrong about Irredeemable?

It's just forced edginess. Also Survivor did nothing wrong.

I don't hate Mark Waid, but he is kinda the ultimate comics grognard and he is kneejerk as fuck.

Champions amounts to an embarrassing senior moment wherein he fails to understand that modern SJWs aren't fighting for equality but the right to bully and harass anyone they want.

Ross also draws every character like we're still in 1980, so there's that. Dude hates newer character designs with a passion, even the good ones.

Mark Waid blocked me on Twitter for defending Danny Rand being played by a white actor. This was done almost a year before the actor was announced, and wasn't even done in response to his tweets, but on the Twitter of one of his followers.

The dude is literally fucking nuts. Like, he actually needs help.

For someone who wrote such a good Flash run, he really does suck. Champions is garbage, and his Daredevil was anything but Daredevil.

So he has taste, then.

So he responded correctly to MoS. What's the problem?

It works for a some characters, but he often draws them like they're wearing pajamas.

Yeah, his hyper-realism style has its drawbacks. With cape characters a little stylization is required.

>having an autistic fit in a public space is "responding correctly" to a fucking movie starring a fictional goddamn character
Jesus H. Christ.

This. I couldn't give a fuck about anything else, He the first person to write a decent daredevil since Miller.

Can't really agree considering his run shit the bed at the end and Brubaker and Bendis were both at least decent.

Everyone knows that Bendis is horrible, but he's had a few good stories. Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man are those stories.

Yes. For some people it was uncontrollable sobbing, others projectile vomit. Snyder's garbage provokes an immediate reaction of incredibly disgust in all good people who see it.

I wonder what it must be like to be this autistic? To care this much about your imaginary friends owned by a faceless corporation? Do you still live with your parents, I wonder? Do they hand-feed you? Change your diaper?

Fight Snyder's siren song, my friend. Your very soul has been infected.

Or what, mommy is gonna have to clean up your mess again? Not my problem, spergy.

are you aware you just said 'SJW' unironically four times in the same post? if so, what is it like to be a living joke?

'sup, tumblr.

Wow. I haven't seen this level of autism on Sup Forums in quite a while.

It is your problem, friend. If you don't fight what Snyder has done to you, to us all, you'll be broken inside as a person. You won't BE a person any more.

Snyder's work makes you dummer the more you see it.

Waid being all WTF at the end is the logical reaction after watching more than an hour of trash

>calling other people out for autism
>in Sup Forums
>while posting a Bat-Mite comic panel
wew lad, I've got bad news for you

Finally, some sanity. I was getting worried with faggots like sucking Snyder's cock.

>Snyder's work makes you dummer
>dummer

Dubs of truth

Truth is, I don't even like Snyder, I'm just amazed at the heights of autism some people will go because of some shitty movies he made. Like, holy shit are you guys true sperglords.
THESE
ARE
FICTIONAL
CHARACTERS
Get a grip!

The post proves his point.

Watchmen transcended the medium, you sure these average comics actually did anything worthwhile?

Rather a "living joke" than a personified stereotype, you milk toast, holier-than-thou motherfucker.

>tips fedora
Dey laffin atchoo in /lit/

John's Green Lanterns is a better Watchmen than Watchmen, with REAL superheroes.

Its already happening.

>He also might be killing off Betty in the current Archie series
I know the publisher is desperate and probably won't see their fourth anniversary in the new offices, but that's where you pretty much give up.

Not an argument. I actually hate that I have to share a board with anti intellectual and anti critical faggots like you who make baseless claims and turn to memeing and green texting when called out. I bet you also defend mediocre and shit comics because they are fun and amuse you.

Well I mean we're having a thread about how autistic Waid is, so it's on topic

Autism

He seems to only be like this about DC characters. He has no problem drawing Marvel's modern replacement characters, who are exponentially worse than the 1990s DC replacement heroes he refused to draw.

Marvel is a lost cause, no wonder he don't give a shit.

>I don't read Daredevil

>I bet you also defend mediocre and shit comics because they are fun and amuse you.
Nonesense, user, I was one of the first to take a stand against fun in comics. Clearly there is too much of it and it has to be stopped!
Members of the comic book brain trust such as ourselves need to untie to stomp that shit out!

>And now, most recently, he's getting shit from SJWs over the most recent issue because of oppressed minorities who'd rather live in relative safety and calm of an internment camp then being constantly on the run in the wilderness living rough. This criticism coming from the typical spoiled upper-class types who've never done anything rougher than sleeping in a tent for a night.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about Stockholm Syndrome. It's a real problem, especially nowadays, when terrorists are strong enough to establish their own quasi-states on large territories, forcing millions of people to either adjust to life in the terrorist-controlled land or leave everything behind from your old life.

Thanks for proving you are part of the problem. Also user, which is your most favorite mediocre tripe that you pass around as fun these days? I might give it a try once I'm done reading good books and want to read something mediocre and join the fun club.

>talking about living jokes makes you a living joke

How does that work?

>minorities and women aren't negatively represented badly enough

t. white male

>declares victory on the interrnet.
I'm pretty sure I've baited you before, user. I don't even really like Kingdom Come to be quite honest.
The comics I most often recommend to others are Kamandi, Ditko ASM, Nexus, and FF 1- 102. Although, of coirse, I fully recognize those aren't for everyone.

Are you mentally challenged? Those books are universally praised. Why were you getting triggered in the first place?

You asked for my fun comics recs, user. I gave them to you.
I've also quite recently enjoyed Master of Kung Fu and Werewolf By Night, but I don't know that I would call the latter 'good' by any kind of 'intellectual' standard. Although both have some really solid character work by Doug Moench.

I mean I realize there's nothing intellectual about those books but they're good in terms of storytelling. Most contemporary capeshit labelled "fun" is pretty much code for garbage though. Maybe I'm just a hipster that can enjoy fun comics that were written 50 or 30 years ago but then I end up reading modern fun comics that are good and older shit comics labelled fun.

I've been reading comics for ages, user. Capes, aside for the 70's at Marvel, are always best sifted though for quality years after the fact.
And even that 70's at Marvel thing is likely just my personal taste, those comics arre flawed too, just not in ways that bother me.

I hear what you're saying, and you're right. Most people just want to keep their heads down and keep their families alive.

Don't think Stockholm Syndrome is the right phrase for it, though.