Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY
youtube.com/watch?v=v1W-wnh__DM
youtube.com/watch?v=2dJOIf4mdus
youtube.com/watch?v=EH3wjpnJNr4
youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqv5xIsFLM
youtube.com/watch?v=LWHelIqiV3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Every time I seen this show come on I immediately changed the channel, without fail. Fuck I hated this show. It just wasn't funny.

Fuck it, I got nothin' better to do.

I just remember having a huge crush on Yakko as a kid.

When I was really young, I was embarrassed to see this on television. When I was twelve, I saw it, thought "hey these references are pretty witty" then watched the entire series. Now, I can't watch an episode of it all the way through without being bored or annoyed.

Nope, I enjoyed it as a kid, and still do as an adult. It makes me laugh because the humor is based on stuff I am familiar with because I grew up with it. It is also quite comfy and has great animation and characters.

Wow its almost like cartoons are subjective like any other art.

I'm not either of the people you quoted, but this show really isn't that good. Their parodies were weak as fuck and relied on shallow blatant references instead of actual humor.

What is a better early 90s cartoon?

What was wrong with it?

Tiny Toons did it too but this were the bigger offender.

I watched it on Netflix without having much attachment to it from childhood.

I liked it. It's not the greatest Spielberg produced, but I got enjoyment out of it. I mainly just care about the Warner segments and the Pinky and the Brain segments though.

I like it

youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

To be honest I always thought of it as Tiny Toons' retarded step-sibling. I dunno if it's because the characters weren't as identifiable, or because the parodies went over my head, or even because I disliked the art style, but...eh.

It's strange that nowadays it's considered better than Tiny Toons itself... but hey, I don't have a dog in that race.

>youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

Extremely relevant to this thread

Just the Rita and Runt segments. The rest was great to forgettable.

Now if you want a 90s Spielberg cartoon that doesn't hold up, look at Tiny Toons.

Animaniacs was still pretty good, the only problem is that it had way too much pop culture/current events that it's become "aged into a corner" per say.

I only watched Animaniacs when nothing better was on.

The only segments I actually liked where the ones with Slappy the Squirrel and Pinky and the Brain. And thankfully Pink and the Brain got their own show.

Every show is horrible.

A watched some episodes and it's pretty shit to be honest. The quality ranges from good to shit but most of the time it's just boring.

It was funny in the 90s, but it doesn't hold up now. It's very dated and the pop-culture references go right past younger audiences. I'm not talking just children and teens, I mean there are grown adults now who are well over 18 who won't get the majority of the references.

Its funny, people point out the pop-culture references, but thats really not any different than what the old Looney Tunes shorts did. Just look at "Hollywood Steps Out".

>that hate of power rangers by the creators
>the parody of the episode
>them not understanding why it was a hit

Kids don't care about satire of the president or understand the adult jokes in the show. They just want to see colorful robots fight bad guys and save the day.

Eh, it was pretty good, but Freakazoid was better.

>one Looney Tunes short did a ton of pop culture references
>this is equivalent to shows where literally every episode is packed with pop culture references

You are an idiot, a moron, and a retarded lunatic.

looks guys characters are doing that thing that's popular right now

where's the joke?

Reminder that the '90s Animaniacs fandom was the precursor to the horse show fandom.

youtube.com/watch?v=v1W-wnh__DM

The joke there was the parody lyrics and visuals.
Also childhood boner fuel.

I remember liking but also sort of hating this show. Now that I think about it, there wasn't really anything in particular that I genuinely enjoyed completely.

To be fair that's likely an overt attempt to create fap fodder rather than tell a joke. It's not the only time they did that. Someone post that shot of Rita. That one.

It's not relevant at all. No one here is nitpicking the show.

The Simpsons
Space Ghost Coast to Coast
Those shows have humor that is more relevant to the plot and modern day. And BTAS is a better show that isn't comedy

Shit post harder, mate.

Went to convention earlier this year with all three main voice-actors holding a panel. The entire place was so packed with people, there wasn't much room left to stand, let alone sit.

When the voice actors started singing on stage, the entire room joined it.

You might have disliked it, but there's a reason it might be getting green-lit for a new chunk of the franchise. It's more popular than you can stomach and nothing you say or do will change that.

The voice actors were especially cool. Cracking jokes and everything, witty and charismatic.

I remember I still do

>the only thing that can scare away the nerd is Barneyfag

This is fucking surreal, how did Animaniacs make such a prediction?

>this is Rita now

It was made by a people who don't know/care anything about cartooning

It's like 40 Years Old Virgin of cartoons

Simpsons and Space Ghost were for adults. Space Ghost had no plot, it was a mock talk show.

You're a troll, obviously, but adult humor and children humor is different. Neither is better than the other, but Space Ghost is great at getting adults to laugh, and Animaniacs was great at getting kids to laugh. They are both great.

This show single handedly made me disregard all of WB

wow now i feel old

Good Idea Bad Idea was also good

youtube.com/watch?v=2dJOIf4mdus

the entire thread is nitpicking dumbass

I really enjoyed it as a kid
I felt like the intentionally outdated references to stars from decades past were educational in a certain way.
Where else would a kid hear pop culture references about Buddy Hackett and Liberace?
There seemed to be a genuine affection for Old Hollywood and lots of music from the pre-television era.

I bought the first few seasons on DVD and watched some of them.
I will admit that they have not aged well. The contemporary humor is now stale.
MC Hammer and Joan Collins references don't carry the same reverence as the good old days.

Aside from the references, I did tire of the characters feeling formulaic the more you watch.
I mean pinky and the brain was basically the exact same thing each time. Even if they come up with a clever premise each episode, it tastes like the same recipe with a few substitutions.

The P Sychiatrist, a profession associated with intellect, is mentally exhausted by the irreverent siblings.
I get it.
That one pigeon loses his temper.
The Mink is a tease.
Slappy is a feisty old crank.
The nurse is attractive.
Hippos are large
I get it.

I'll always be one of my favorite cartoons, but I think it will be a long time before I watch it again.

>It was made by a people who don't know/care anything about cartooning

What in the fuck am I reading dude. The people who created Pink and the Brain and Freakazoid don't know/care about cartoons? What an utterly ignorant and obnoxious opinion.

you have to read John K's blog to understand this

Patrician husbando desu.

>It just wasn't funny.
>The quality ranges from good to shit but most of the time it's just boring.
>Their parodies were weak as fuck and relied on shallow blatant references instead of actual humor.

>HURRRRR NITPICKING!!!!!

Having general negative thoughts on a show != nitpicking

At the time it was a great show, but it's like going back to watch a variety show from the 70s or 80s and being surprised it is dated. This show was very 90s, same with Tiny Toon Adventures and most of the Disney Afternoon shows. The difference between Duck Tales now and the original Duck Tales is pretty heavy. While it's the same basic characters, those characters have been changed heavily. To do Animaniacs today it would be very different then it was then. And to do Animaniacs in 24 years from now, it would be very different then you would do it now.

Not the other guy, but Animaniacs was supposed to be aimed at kids? And I mean solely kids, not just a general audience.

Kids, but they wanted adults to be able to like it too. Hence the jokes aimed at them.

No it wasn't. It was aimed at a wide audience. My dad used to watch Animaniacs with me when he got home and laugh at the jokes aimed at adults. And there were plenty of jokes aimed at adults.

It's clearly an all-ages cartoon, like everything on CN. They don't really do "kids only"

Yeah. Also, there's too much mugging. Way too many moments where the characters look at the camera and snark about their situation.

B-but user! Every 80's kid says that this show is basically the Citizen Kane or the 2001: A Space Oddysey of cartoons! Even esteemed individuals like Mr Doug Walker have written or documented on how it was a revolutionary and daring cartoon of its time, one which we may never see the likes of again!!!

What kind of neanderthal peasant are you to deny the gravitas of this one hit wonder? What negative comments could you possibly attempt to make of it?

Seriously, though, I never cared for it, either. 1991 kid, here, the only reason I would watch it is because I didn't have cable and was grateful to be visiting another kid at a parent's friend's house or stay in a hotel room that had more kid's stuff than PBS.

Tried to rewatch it recently on Netflix with my best friend, who also never grew up on the show, we were both bored of it.

>didn't use greentext for the first part
>that spacing

Honestly, Animaniacs is the only all ages cartoon that I can think of with a lot of blatant fanservice.

If you hate Reddit so much, how do you know what their writing style is like?

I watched an episode the other day and they threw shade on Bonkers twice throughout the episode. So funny

The show was going to be called 'Bonkers' until Disney used the name. They didn't take it well.

I was taught by Sup Forums

Really, dude? You're one of those people who believes and parrots everything he hears? Okie-dokie, keep on following blindly, then.

Also, for the record, I have been on Sup Forums for seven years, and I can't stay on Reddit for more than a minute every time I have checked it out.

Hey there, Jonh K!

Got a link?

Actually in Summa contra Gentiles Dr Aquinas stated that based on Aristotle animal souls are not eternal nor are they rational and therefor a cat praying for its eternal souls is completely senseless

Examples?

Sounds like lies to me.

>The Hip Hippos in the background.

Pic related is how I felt whenever one of their shorts came on.

Wasn't that whole thing sort of a staff birthday card to one of the writers?

First non-retarded post in this thread

Can you link the whole thing, since I assume thing is part of a bigger article covering more than that specific show, or is that all of it. Honestly my main problem with him saying that is that he doesn't really elaborate enough on it from what I'm reading here. He's not giving any specific examples or anything of the animaniacs doing this in their writting so it kind of comes off like he's saying something without any concrete proof or reasoning on why he thinks this. Also since it sounds like he's implying that this was a trend and not JUST the animaniacs, it would have made his agument stronger if he gave more shows as examples of this as well. Also did they actually have writers from shows like the superfriends and scooby do on this show as writers or did he not mean that literally?

>First non-retarded post in this thread
because how dare we have less than golden opinions on a show...

To some extent, Many of the show's writers and animators, like Paul Dini and Earl Kress, worked on shows like He-Man, Transformers and Fat Albert.

Everything that happened now happened in the past, under a different coat of paint.

John K detected.

I wonder what the picture looks like

>"Damn I can't stand walking across a field for 30 minutes of pretty boring scenery and fighting easy monsters"

How the hell is (was?) he a Square fan then? At least HF was relatively more condensed in design, but I digress.

He elaborates an entire blogful on it

Whats HF?

Hyrule Field

Can you send a link please?

Nothing has changed.

Is humanity doomed to make the same mistakes?

Wakko is better for me. I dunno why, tho. Maybe it's his liverpudlean voice.

Like samsara.

Nope.

Oh

Try asking around in /wsr/

this

Welp, freakazoid also did one of those "parodies" towards Astroboy, It was just a vapid take that hit jab with no substance.

The old WB suffer from A LOT of those.

this show is so outdated like south park

youtube.com/watch?v=EH3wjpnJNr4

To me the highlight of this show was the Slappy Squirrel shorts

youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqv5xIsFLM

I would have like a spin off of this, instead of Pinky and the Brain

So your mom, and still a lot of people get into her.

The stories about Randy Beaman were the best.

And Minerva Mink.

Uh, no.

It hasn't aged well. In order of ranking, I say:

1. Freakazoid
2. Tiny Toons
3. Animaniacs
4. Pinky & the Brain
5. That Elmyra Cartoon

I think Freakazoid is the only one that aged with some grace while the others just feel so much like 90's Saturday Morning Cartoons that I can't imagine a showing a kid the show now and expecting them to enjoy it.

Freakazoid was just crazy superhero cartoon without Roger Rabbit craze

Fun Fact: Jess Harnell, who voiced Wakko, was also the voice of Captain Hero in Drawn Together.

Switch Pinky and the Brain with Tiny Toons and I agree.

the best episode

youtube.com/watch?v=LWHelIqiV3Q

I liked Rita and Runt, those were pretty comfy segments and Rita had an amazing singing voice