I taste blood as I hit the car. Nothing's ever hit me that hard. Not the Hulk. Not Thor. Nobody. And for the first time...

>I taste blood as I hit the car. Nothing's ever hit me that hard. Not the Hulk. Not Thor. Nobody. And for the first time, I don't have a wisecrack right at hand. Because nothing's funny anymore.
Anyone rereading JMS Spidey with all the movie business going on?

I absolutely loved the JMS run.
I see some folks have issues with it.
I thought it was neat.

Homecoming wasn't funny and yet holland had plenty of quips at hand.

Jms mary sue. Hulk would end Morlun.

Good thing slot retconned morkundro is overpowered in eating many spider totems.

That said, i like totem thing and would had dropped the radioactive stuff.

tfw I like Spider-Verse, JMS run, Morlun, totems and the radioactive stuff.

I really, really enjoyed the Ezekiel stories
>mfw he and Spider-man teamed up against Morlun

Yeah me too!

JMS created my waifu. Her story was also my favorite part of the run.

I forget, which was the 3rd villain?
I remember Zeke talking about how the Totem enemies always came in threes - first was Morlun, second was Shathra. Who was the third?

JMS's run is hampered severely by the sudden inclusion of the totem horseshit. It's right up there with another person being bit by the same spider as Peter, and Cap being frozen by the US government because he disagreed with them about the nukes.

Didn't it start out because of the Dr. Strange & Spiderman's best hits arc?

Ezekiel himself?

I think the one thing that justifies it is Peter actively not believing in it. Morlun kicks his ass; he doesn't give a shit about the totem magic bullshit he just uses science to beat him.

>Cap being frozen by the US government because he disagreed with them about the nukes.

When the fuck did they do that?

>I think the one thing that justifies it is Peter actively not believing in it.
Yeah, I don't think anyone does. The spider totems work when Slott does it, because it becomes this big sci-fi multiversal Dune-esque thing and doesn't fuck with Spidey's origin.

>When the fuck did they do that?
Good question. Chuck Austen's run.

In the same issue, Cap is tripping balls so I'm pretty sure the canon explanation is that he hallucinated.

I really don't remember how it panned out
I think it was like......Ezekiel acquired his spider powers through some kind of monkey's paw exchange with a Spider God? He got his abilities but years later, he'd be hunted down and sacrificed so when the time came he moved to New York and tried to divert his enemies in the form of Morlun and Shathra onto Peter.
Then he kidnapped Peter and tried to sacrifice him to the Spider God to save himself but then their memories swapped and Ezekiel realized what a better person Peter was than him and he sacrificed himself so Peter could escape

I honestly don't recall. It's been years since I read the JMS run.
Somebody should really storytime it.

Was that really how it happened?

That's basically what happened. He got the powers originally planning to be a hero but he spent most of his time with them making himself wealthy and powerful, and when his time came up he was all like "I'M NOT READY! I CAN DO SO MUCH MORE!" Seeing how much Peter used his powers to help other people shamed him into realizing how selfish he had been.

From what I remember it wasn't that he outright shafted Peter into taking his place, he tried to help and educate him about the nature of the totem stuff, he was unsure if Peter was a totally genuine totem avatar due to the irradiated spider thing. He explicitly claimed the likes of Doc Ock, Scorpion and Rhino were false totems, pretenders. He just ran out of time and decided to let Peter take his place.

It's interesting to see the JMS run completly crash after the totem storyline is finished. After that we get Gobcuckin, Spacecancer and lastly OMD to finish it all up. To not mention basically removing Peter helping ghetto kids, teaching or having an actually interesting relationship with MJ.

Did JMS only plan up the totem story and then just kinda wing it?

>>When the fuck did they do that?
>Good question. Chuck Austen's run.

I think Jeph Loeb and James Robinson also did a version of it in Heroes Reborn, too.

i just hope one day someone brings back maydays parents

You have shit taste, but at least you recognize it.

The problem with the spider-totem shit is that it completely undermines the entire theme of Spider-Man: being Spider-Man isn't a reward or an honor, it's a burden.

Peter didn't become Spider-Man because he was special or the Destined One. It was a complete accident, and now he has to live every day with the consequences of that. Making him the chosen mystical avatar with this weird magical conspiracy around him destroys everything Spider-Man represents.

>Yeah, I don't think anyone does. The spider totems work when Slott does it, because it becomes this big sci-fi multiversal Dune-esque thing and doesn't fuck with Spidey's origin.

Slott fucks it up even more. It STILL fucks with Spidey's origin, but now we have these ridiculous Mary Sue universe vampires who are totally more powerful than everyone ever put together and can kick everyone's ass with ease.

It was stupid and terrible. They even had Morlun's take out the Japanese TV Spider-man's Leopardon mech with like one punch because MOST POWERFUL EVARRR!!!111

Spider verse was fucking terrible, I should know, I own it in floppy. waiting for idiots to forget how bad it was before i try and sell them all.

Fags.

Clone saga the worst. The saga that bankrupted marvel.

Where did either of those comments dispute what you wrote, or claimed that the totem stuff was the worst thing that ever happened to Spidey?

And the Clone Saga didn't bankrupt Marvel. It was one of the factors, and initially it wasn't as bad as the reputation it eventually rightly developed says it is.

Fuck you, Strange, how about you use your fucking wizard powers to help more people if it's such a gift? Why is there any sick or suffering person in the world when you can abracadabra that shit away without even trying?

Spidey does the most he can with his powers, what about you?

I don't read Doctor Strange books and never will.

I would rather read all of Clone Saga over Spider-Verse again.

i just couldnt get past that first arc with ezekiel if im remembering the name correctly.

You mean you didn't like watching characters and potential storylines get murdered brutally and obnoxiously for vampire OCs?

The biggest issue with JMS's run is how much of it has JRJR's shittery

Here we go

Fuck you Joe Quesada.

That's why

What utter shit.

Editorial fucked him hard. Sins Past and OMD were Quesada's idea through and through.

Did editorial force the totem thing on him?

I think that was all JMS he wanted to push the mystical angle and I know that all the Doctor Strange stuff was sort of him hoping that he's get a chance at a Strange solo boo.

Then he's complete shit and needs to kill himself to atone for it immediately.

My friend said the same thing a long time ago before he moved away. I actually enjoyed this story arc. May i ask why you hate it?

>Man proves himself to be a pretty good writer of one character
>Decides he wants to write another character ant try out new things
>Proceeds to try out new things and it doesn't go well
>The rest of his run gets fucked by editorial and higher ups who have no idea what they're doing
I'd rather someone like JMS experiment than Slott.

My ideal Spider-Man trilogy is the Ezekiel trilogy. Morlun, Shathra, and Ezekiel's betrayal form a tight story set.

Your taste is shit, JMS is one of if not the best writer to grace Amazing Spider-Man.

I read the skin deep arc today.
Maybe i will storytime it later

Totems, Goblincuck, OMD

Yeah, one of the best.

No need to fight, my friend: they're both terrible.

See, this is why Sup Forums doesn't write comics. You don't understand the difference between plotting and scripting. You just see that something you don't like happened in a story and don't care about the how or why of it and write it off immediately. You're why comics are shit. Congrats.

JMS is a good writer, Slott is trash.

So your theory is that if we accept shit comics things would get better? Interesting.

And the utterly totems were JMS's baby, no distinction there.

You completely failed to understand what I said. You have no regard for the actual art of writing, of pacing, of paneling, dialogue, structure, none of it. You just see that X happened and you don't like X so it's bad. Fucking kill yourself.

If the product is bad, who gives a shit how it came to be? It's a bad product. If Marvel is putting out bad comics, then you only encourage that by continuing to support them. What goes on behind the scenes is their problem, not mine as the reader.

You remind me of those people who respond to negative movie criticism with sob stories about how there are REAL PEOPLE WHO WORKED ON THIS. Sure, but they produced shit, and I won't support shit.

>If the product is bad, who gives a shit how it came to be? It's a bad product.
But it's not. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You don't like a plot element. That is a tiny part of the product, but you're judging the whole for it because you have no sense.

That's nonsense. The product is the sum of its parts. To me it's a glaring problem that ruins the whole, just as if I found a roach in food served to me. Doesn't matter how tasty the food is, there was a roach in it.

The totem concept breaks Spider-man as a character, for these reasons . I deeply dislike that it's been inserted into canon. I didn't like JMS's story using it. I don't like anything about it.

So no, sorry, it's a bad product. Your position doesn't make sense: of course elements you don't like in something make it bad, that's how you judge things.

People only hate it because of One More Day and that wasn't he even his fault.

And Sin's Past. And The Other. And all the totem shit.

Thinking back on all the Spider-Man I've read.. it's very hard for me to think of a run good enough to ever recommend it to somebody.

Marvel Adventures was neat, I guess.
I more-or-less liked Ultimate up until Peter un-died and then immediately re-died.
I thought him joining the Future Foundation was cool even if those comics otherwise sucked shit.

... and I think that's about it? I mean, I like Kaine and Ben, but most of that clone shit was stuuuuuupid.

Are there ANY genuinely dope Spider-Man runs?

But you don't understand what makes a story good.

Also Spider-Man being given the power deliberately doesn't make them any less of a burden. If anything, it makes them more of a burden.

Ultimate "ended", initally anyway, in a bang but now I remember all the shit
>Harry Osborne dying approximately 7 times
>Carnage arc
>Gwen arc
>that while where the art made MJ look like a flat hipster

Okay, granted, Gwen sucks some shit, honestly, you'll have to explain to me that other junk, because maybe my memory is worse than I thought, but I don't remember anything particularly awful about Carnage, or the way they drew MJ.

Also, I kind of liked Osborne deaths. I know it's super dumb but it just reminds me of Metal Gear and I can't help but laugh along with it instead of at it.