B T F O

B T F O
T
F
O

google.com/amp/www.theroot.com/spider-man-homecoming-diversity-push-makes-no-spidey-s-1796704406/amp

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>google.com/amp/

>Reeeee its not diverse enough!

Who cares?

The general public.

All I had to do was ctrl+f "Miles" to find the root of the problem. Which is Peter Parker is white.

I ain't clicking that shit. What's the problem?

>Tumblr makes up the general audience.

You'd be surprised.
People are more woke nowadays.

>I'm never fucking happy, the post
The Root upset over nothing? The shock, the shock...

See

Marvel is racist towards black people.

Opposite actually. Pendulum seems to be swinging back.

Why should black people laid down and force a small over shit representation?

>Flash Thompson, played by Latino actor Tony Revolori, is good as a modern-day bully, a rich and smart jock who is more interested in putting Peter down than in putting his face in a locker

People still fall for that? Are richfags still under this idea that physical bullies don't exist?

And to the point of Flash, he really wasn't as physical to Peter as people think. Sure he he'd shove him or throw something at him, but not the stereotypical putting him in lockers or wedgies. Alot of it was what Revolori did, which was goad Parker and making in snap.

Dont fucking care, these people are never happy, for the love of Christ just put Mary Jane Watson in the sequel, and Michelle can go pout somewhere

Selective quoting. It's a long rant, as always

>Marvel has been under fire for some time from critics and, most importantly, fans for the lack of diversity in its cinematic universe. Racebending an 80-year-old World War II character like Nick Fury from a cigar-smoking white guy to a take-no-shit black guy in 2008 was a great move. In the subsequent eight years, though, Marvel went through almost 10 straight movies without a black woman having more than two lines, hardly had any Asian-American or Latino actors on-screen, and had a real bad case of “whitewashing.” This despite the increasing dribbles of diversity that are occurring in core Marvel Comics.

>Spider-Man was supposed to be different.

>For the last year, producers and directors were literally doing yoga stretches to pat themselves on the back about how “diverse” the new Spider-Man would be, and how Peter Parker’s world would look like the real world. Unfortunately, Homecoming only gives you that self-congratulatory, “Hey, we put a Black History Month flyer in the break room. What else do you want?” diversity that’s become a hallmark of Hollywood in the #OscarsSoWhite era.

>On the positive side, the depiction of Queens, N.Y., in general and Peter’s high school are great. Peter comfortably speaks Spanish, and the hallways of his high school look like the United Nations. Most of Spider-Man’s secondary villains, like the Shocker and the soon-to-be Scorpion, are played by well-known or at least recognizable actors of color. Moreover, even bit parts like the school principal and gym teacher are people of color, which helps flesh out the feeling that you are actually in a living, breathing, modern-day New York City. Nevertheless, as the characters get closer to Peter, the diversity becomes less impressive and more like window dressing.

>While most of the Vulture’s henchmen are black and brown, Adrian Toomes himself (played with smoldering fury by Michael Keaton) is most definitely a “regular blue-collar” white guy, who the film makes a point of showing “isn’t very PC.” Peter’s high school tormentor Flash Thompson, played by Latino actor Tony Revolori, is good as a modern-day bully, a rich and smart jock who is more interested in putting Peter down than in putting his face in a locker, but he also doesn’t play much of a role in this rebooted version of Peter’s life.

>Ned, Peter’s best friend, played by Filipino actor Jacob Batalon, gets a lot of screen time, but his character is straight out of the Asian-Minority Sidekick to a White Hero handbook. Spit some funny lines, look amazed, live vicariously, and your greatest aspiration is to be the backup tech guy for the white hero. We literally saw this same role in Green Lantern.

>these people are never happy

This. You could have an entire cast of black people, Asians, transgenders, whatever; they'll still complain about something. They're not actually looking for diversity, they're looking for things to complain about.

you forgot the best one

Miles bitching, as always

>What makes Ned even more frustrating on the diversity front is that he’s essentially lifted from Ganke, the best friend of Miles Morales, the black-Latino Spider-Man who is the main friendly neighborhood Spider-Man in the comics now. Even more frustrating, Donald Glover, who campaigned for the lead in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and who many fans thought would make a great Peter Parker or Miles Morales, steals the show in the few scenes he’s in. He plays a character named Aaron Davis, who, in the comics, is actually Miles Morales’ techno-thief uncle the Prowler.

>So Spider-Man: Homecoming can use elements from Miles’ life and even make reference to him with a huge star, but for some reason it just somehow couldn’t find a way to cast the black guy as a Spider-Man lead. It’s the movie equivalent of looking through a restaurant window and seeing the waiter gesticulate wildly that they’re closed, but you damn well see that people are still walking in and ordering food: You can serve me; you just don’t want to.

>Arguably the biggest fail in Spider-Man: Homecoming are the two female leads: Laura Harrier as love interest Liz, and Zendaya playing red-headed Daria-esque “Michelle”—who comic fans think might be you-know-who from the Spider-Man canon. While some people praise the casting of two women of color in Peter’s life, it’s actually still faux diversity and re-enforcing the status quo.

This reminds me when Moonlight won best picture and I saw tweets go "Great job Hollywood, but we're still not even"

Are black people the most narcissistic people in the world? They always have to make things about themselves.

Literally no other race does this. Black people are just obnoxious.

>In Hollywood, comic book films’ diversity still means giving white guys their choice of mixed-race or light-skinned, Hollywood-approved women of color as love interests. We see it in The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok with Tessa Thompson, etc. Change a white-girl comic character to a hot black woman? Barely a peep from fans. Consider casting a man or woman of color as the action or romantic lead? Utter chaos.

>This isn’t a critique of WOC getting jobs; that’s a good thing. However, it just highlights the fact that hipster progressive-Hollywood racism allows for every sidekick, schoolteacher and love interest to be turned from white to minority in the name of “diversity,” so long as it’s always a straight white guy as the romantic lead driving the story—even the villains. It also doesn’t help that in Spider-Man: Homecoming, the relationship between Peter Parker and Liz (whose last name is “Allen” in the comics but who has no last name in the movie, for plot purposes) is absolutely, 100 percent chemistry-free.

>Spider-Man: Homecoming is a fun movie, but not one that will stick with you for long. It’s significantly better on the diversity front than whitewashed Doctor Strange, or the minority-as-comedy-relief-sidekick-brigade antics of Ant-Man; and the references to race, history and culture by a group of smart high school kids are organic and believable in the film. But it falls way short of the fully integrated POC in Captain America: Civil War. It feels more like a mashup of a 1980s high school teen flick and Agent Cody Banks, with a few talking minority extras who are still revolving around the white-guy hero and villain.

Case in point; people have been complaining that Marvel's comics still aren't diverse enough.

>I-It doesn't count!
Fucking called it. Though even if they did have the balls to call her Mary Jane they would still find reason to bitch
>I wanted Miles, wah!
Easy way to spot a Miles "fan" who's probably never even picked up a book

t. Insecure white men

Specifically American black people I assume?

>I get that we’re still a year away from Black Panther (lines already forming for the step and repeat with Barack, Michelle and DeRay), but Marvel can still do much better. Spider-Man’s neighborhood may be more friendly, but as long as Marvel keeps centering white guys, he’s still got the proportionate strength of a gentrifier.

>black people calling other races insecure
Irony.

Yes, because only white people hate black people. Just ignore the Chinese, the British Blacks, the Indians,etc.

> "Great job Hollywood, but we're still not even"
They're right tho. You think one movie is gonna soothe away 100 years of racist practices towards black actors and directors?

I assume so, I heard African black hate American blacks.

Not them, but pretty much. It has been spreading over UK/Europe lately and we've seen the last year Asian Americans starting to whine more and more because it's gotten so much coverage for black people.

So it's official then? The main character of a major movie being white is offensive now.

Stop, I'm dying.

>>America is racist
>>White people are so racist, it's despicable
>>China is racist
>>Ha ha, silly gooks.

Say what you want about me, but I never complained that Blade didn't look and think exactly like me

Why cling on to shit that happened before you were even born?

I need a civil war and I need it now. These people don't deserve to live

>Assumes I'm black

Atleast you admit to being white

You should've been more specific and not just lump all blacks, you fucking idiot.

They're fucking getting a superhero film that using like 60% of the black actors on the market. Also Valkyrie, MJ and Domino (who looks nothing like Domino). They fucking complained the Nupito was CGI in TFA.

Oh for God sake just tell them that Holland is gay. They'll write a 15 page apology article.

>Literally no other race does this

Did you not see the Asian-American outcry against Doctor Strange and Iron Fist?

>people have been complaining that Marvel's comics still aren't diverse enough.
Well that's true tho, most of their characters are still mostly white men and women.

>Sure he he'd shove him or throw something at him
>wasn't as physical[...]as people think

Africans don't consider African Americans real blacks. They consider them subhuman much like the white slave owners. Remember, these african tribes were the ones that sold blacks into slavery in the first place. And slavery is still alive and well in Africa.

>While some people praise the casting of two women of color in Peter’s life, it’s actually still faux diversity and re-enforcing the status quo.
Fucking hell. How do these people fucking live their lives thinking this utter shite?

>Atleast you admit to being white
Kek, not even.

You honestly think whites are the only ones tired of blacks whining?

>Sup Forumsmblr wasn't just a meme.

>buying this fucking meme
Go back to tumblr and stay there.

You literally think all blacks whine?

Ties into this

Ancient One casting was done because the Chinese audience, the biggest movie audience in the world, has some weird stipulations regarding Tibet so if he was accurate the film could not be premiered there. As for Iron Fist? You know who bitched about that? "Progressive" white people who never read a Iron Fist book in their life, Asians didnt care

Cause racism in hollywood still exists user, it didn't go away.

The same black people who complain that whites don't want to be around them calling others insecure. Irony

>diversity is good
stopped reading

>They fucking complained the Nupito was CGI in TFA.
Why would they complain about that when John Boyega was literally the second lead?

You mean the Japanese cultures that were okay with ScarJo GitS and it was just white girls bitching?

>Why should black people laid down and force a small over shit representation?
>laid down and force a small
>force a small

Wut.

The point is that he wasn't as much of a caricature as bloggers and others thought.

They're viewing these movies solely to find things to nitpick and grandstand about. If the actors they're talking about were 100% black they'd just find something else to moan about.

I don't see blacks being prohibited from starring in films and tv or whites putting on blackface to play black roles.

American blacks are descended from a bunch of tribes that western Africans hated and enslaved to sell off to the Americans and Muslims.

Africans also kind of see them as thugs, partially because of the whole gangster culture, no better than the AK-toting rebels that plague the continent.

>That time the Selma director who had 1 single movie credit with a pandering subject sure to be a success starts to insert herself into every BLM event ever.
>Including claiming that she's edited movies and she knew some dash cam footage of a woman getting pulled over was edited

>turns out it was 100% the truth, just glitchy and a non-glitchy version posted later.
>It was glitchy because of a poor conversion because the whiny black public demands sped up trying to get the footage ready for the public instead of waiting for the facts to roll in

You're 13% of the fucking population. You can't be in fucking everything

Haven't you heard about "Cover your blacks"? It's when black actors are painted a different color cause "Aliens". It's why less aliens are shown in the new Star Wars films.

I've seen a total of three Asians complaining during that whole thing. One had autism and ones' hair was multi colored. That was the same thing as the Speedy Gonzalez incident. Just millennial busy bodies perceiving something as offensive.

>They're fucking getting a superhero film
The rest of the MCU is still blindingly white.

ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Twitter, Tumblr, social media in general doesn't sway me from that argument.

They do

Let me guess, you started reading comics in the past five years.

Only to the race-baiting drek who write these articles. Normal people don't give a shit.

>fuck you racism doesn't exist anymore!
>except when it's racism against white people!

And?
Does being white somehow negatively impact a product?

>One obnoxious black guy makes an article about faux diversity
>My god blacks are so dumb

Sup Forums get the fuck out.

>All those twitter posts about people saying they'd move to Africa if Trump won.

Funny thing is? It will never be enough, ever. White people are getting guilt tripped over events over a hundred years old no longer relevant and why? Because black people want to be handed everything. You see racism works both ways sadly, and it wont ever go away because that means no more bending over backwards to please them. Asians, Hispanics, they both envy and hate black people at times because of how much shit they are given. Similar case could be said for modern feminism, where women act like its the 1950s so they can get it easier. Because you see somewhere down the line people forgot what their predecessors fought for; it was the right to have the same opportunities presented to them, AND WORK FOR THEM, not given.

I go to a movie to watch and enjoy it. Why does it need to have multiple characters of different orientation to have people relate to them?

You're doing it right now.

>anything and everything is racist towards blacks
Racism has devolved into nothing more than an overused buzzword and that's sad.

IQ tests say otherwise

>You should've been more specific and not just lump all blacks, you fucking idiot.

Says the fag who lumps all white people together.

Except you and whites like you cause you "so forward thinking and progressive."

13% is still a large slice of the population and we're still underrepresented.

For the most part they were. They didn't find her to be a great actress, but they did think her casting would bring more fame and attention to the franchise

Because corporations have the misguided idea that people can only relate to characters of the same skin tone. You think other races give a fuck what color Batman is? No, they just like him because of what he does and children want to be him. Those who start these arguments are downright narcissistic

there's both white, black and maybe Hispanic. What else do you ant?

13% is a barely a fraction of the population

>My god blacks are so dumb
You haven't been to twitter.

This person is a Miles Morales fan which shows that they lack any sense of taste or reason.

You just think it's coincidentally that a majority of tv and movies has a dominant white cast?

But I'm not black. retard.
Except I'm not, moron. I'm addressing them only.

*want

You'd be surprised how many people don't even bother with "social" media.

So is this one of those thread where we ignore the fact that like 70% of this whining is coming from white women?

And that's just the US. In many other 1st-world countries the percentages are tinier. Where I am, it looks weird to see so many black characters in TV and movies.

Everyone is dumb on twitter. And everyone here too.

I can find plenty of shows and movies with diverse casts.

That fact that you think most of TV and movie is white shows you won't go deeper than surface level shit.

I agree with the point you're making but
>13% is a barely a fraction of the population
this is a really fucking stupid sentence.

You're acting like 13% of 321 million is a small amount of people.