Secret Empire #8 ups pages and price

> Secret Empire #8 is expanding in page count and price according to a message to retailers by Marvel Comics. The issue, planned for release August 9, is growing from 40 pages to 48, with the price upped from $3.99 to $4.99.

> In June, Marvel announced similar plans for the previously-solicited Secret Empire #6 - but while that issue was delayed one week, Secret Empire #8 currently remains on schedule for August 9.

> SECRET EMPIRE #8 (of 10)
NICK SPENCER (W)
DANIEL ACUñA (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
Variant Cover by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
Villain Variant Cover by DAN MORA
Hydra Hero Variant Cover by ANDREA SORRENTINO
Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
Marvel vs. Capcom Variant Cover by TBA
UNITED WE STAND - against the SECRET EMPIRE!
40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-05.html
bleedingcool.com/2017/07/08/retailer-expelled-marvels-secret-facebook-group-penning-critical-oped/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

... of 10?

Yeah, they added another issue after annoucning Legacy I think.

What is this cover trying to convey? Not memeing here I'm genuinely confused.

It's Sam back in the Captain America costume and holding one of the cube fragments, with the heroes trapped inside the Darkforce dimension in one wing and the heroes trapped outside the shield on the other. Sam flying triumphantly in the sun is likely to convey that this is the turning point where the heroes finally start to win.

Jesus. It honestly looks like a Civil War 3 cover.

"Totally planned the whole thing in advance, you guys!"

This cover would be a lot more meaningful if we didn't know that Falcon's going right back to giving back the shield for Marvel Legacy

Marvel's been doing "Heroes Vs. Heroes" for so long, I wouldn't be surprised if their artists forgot how to portray these characters fighting something other than each other

This event does not deserve those covers

I can just picture the board room after Secret Empire.

> so... uhhh guys. What's a villain?

Pathetic. Marvel is so pathetic.

>"Totally planned the whole thing in advance, you guys!"
I mean, you can plan the whole thing in advance but then not realise until the actual writing and drafting phases that you need more pages to do what you had planned. Hickman had that problem too where he planned a shitton of stuff, but it was too much to fit in the issues.

are they dumb? are they retarded? are they in such need of that extra dollar that they don't realize a 5 dollar comic book is gonna do more harm than good?

Captain America is the villian. It's also a push to put over the Falcon mantle over Cap.

Marvel has no intent to reverse secret empire or gven cap a book. Some other long gone character is the 53trd book.

They retired fantastic four, Cap is next to spite mcu. Ike is pissed off at mcu now.

Besides democrats don't care anout nationalism as much conservatives.

they've found that the price doesn't really seem to affect the actual sales of the book.
it affects the sales of other books though.

its why they did the $10 spidey 25. or the multiple extra priced/oversized Deadpool issues they've done over the past year or two.

Exactly. They just plan very, very poorly. Then execute very sloppily.

I know.

They just can't write a villain to save their lives. I honestly don't understand why this event happened. I guess it's just Brevoot's short sidedness but all it has seemed to do is piss of normies and Captain America fans. This is a event for no one. It's not even that Captain America is some shitty C-lister hero. He's very popular because of the MCU. Marvel is shitting all over a golden goose.

Sure, but that doesn't mean they didn't plan it out. If an architect draws up plans for a house, but then after the building starts they realise that there's some structural problems in the design and have to adapt to compensate, that doesn't mean that it wasn't all planned out. It just means that it was planned out poorly.

>It's ok if you do a shit job as along as you try

The first time they did it, it was okay:

03/14 Deadpool v4 #26 - 44,141 ( -9.5%)
04/14 Deadpool v4 #27 - 62,037 ( 40.5%)[1,992] ($9.99 issue)
05/14 Deadpool v4 #28 - 45,858 ( 26.1%)
05/14 Deadpool v4 #29 - 52,403 ( 14.3%) O.S. Tie-In
06/14 Deadpool v4 #30 - 54,072 ( 14.3%) O.S. Tie-In

Then they did it again.

03/15 Deadpool #44 - 39,716 (- 11.5%)
04/15 Deadpool #45 - 96.897 (+144.0%) ($9.99 issue; next was the ANAD relaunch)

And again. By 2017 you can start seeing diminishing returns.

01/16 Deadpool #6 - 59.006 (- 1.1%)
02/16 Deadpool #7 - 88,264 (+49.6%) ($9.99 issue)
03/16 Deadpool #8 - 72,706 (-17.6%)
04/16 Deadpool #9 - 57,798 (-20.5%)
04/16 Deadpool #10- 64,509 (+11.6%)
05/16 Deadpool #11- 62,900 (- 2.5%)
05/16 Deadpool #12- 57,805 (- 8.1%)

05/16 Deadpool #12- 57,805 (- 8.1%)
06/16 Deadpool #13- 78,536 (+35.9%) ($9.99 issue)
06/16 Deadpool #14- 63,334 (-19.4%) (CV2)
07/16 Deadpool #15- 67,822 (+ 7.1%) (CV2)
08/16 Deadpool #16- 55,577 (-18.1%) (CV2)
08/16 Deadpool #17- 57,681 (+ 3.8%) (CV2)

02/17 Amazing Spider-Man#24- 61,953 (-16.0%) (CC)
03/17 Amazing Spider-Man#25- 113,934 (+83.9%) ($9.99 issue)
04/17 Amazing Spider-Man#26- 62,515 (-54.9%)
05/17 Amazing Spider-Man#27- 51,404 (-17.8%)

10/16 Deadpool #20- 46,109 (- 3.8%)
10/16 Deadpool #21- 51,351 (+11.4%) ($9.99 issue)
11/16 Deadpool #22- 38,630 (-24.8%)
12/16 Deadpool #23- 39.183 (+ 1.4%)
01/17 Deadpool #24- 40,064 (+ 2.2%)
01/17 Deadpool #25- 42,476 (+6.0%)
02/17 Deadpool #26- 38,560 (- 9.2%)
02/17 Deadpool #27- 32,836 (-14.8%)
03/17 Deadpool #28- 47,026 (+43.2%)
04/17 Deadpool #29- 36,482 (-22.4%)
05/17 Deadpool #30- 36,022 (- 1.3%) ($9.99 issue)
05/17 Deadpool #31- 34,546 (- 4.1%) (SE)

Who are you quoting?

What are the figures like for books with no price hikes? Is the drop in sales consistent to a point or do they freefall?

Not the user you are replying in to, but drops in sales tended to be consistent to a point but both with ANAD and Marvel Now 2.0 most books at Marvel won't stop bleeding readers. The first Rocket series launched during Now 1.0 held steady at around 30k nine issues in, the Rocket series launched during Now 2.0 was already at cancellation level on #2.

Relaunching, event overuse and special 9.99$ issues have hurt them badly by valuing short term sales gains over stability.

>Ike is pissed off at mcu now
Nah buddy. Ike greenlit the 'diversity' push because he was told it would bring in the next generation of buyers. Secret Empire was supposed to be the cap stone and kill/ruin/replace anybody not SJW approved. No personal vendetta with Disney or the film division, just "good" business.
Now that the whole thing is bombing we'll see if Ike 'mega kike' and his coven of superjew shills can turn marvel around without admitting they fucked up or if he's going to let the plane go right into the side of the mountain. The MCU won't be affected much either way until sony or fox makes it worth Disney's while to buy some rights back.

You think a consistent run without relaunches would help significantly or would it be a lost cause?

'Cause Legacy's already looking like it's trying to fly without wings.

>Nah buddy. Ike greenlit the 'diversity' push because he was told it would bring in the next generation of buyers.

I think that's pretty much it. In fact he willingly greenlit Spider-Gwen to have an ongoing because the sales and demand for merchandise was high.

How come all the Netflix-Defenders are there except Iron Fist?

Well, they've only got three members of the Ultimates on the other side, so I guess it's purely just to show off different characters.

Well here's the Marvel Now 2 Avengers:

11/16 Avengers # 1 - 81,885
12/16 Avengers # 2 - 64,289 (-21.5%)
01/17 Avengers #3 - 44,321 (-31.1%)
01/17 Avengers #1.MU - 30,421 (-31.4%)
02/17 Avengers #4 - 37,383 (+22.9%)
03/17 Avengers #5 - 39,204 (+ 4.9%)
04/17 Avengers #6 - 31,461 (- 19.7%)
05/17 Avengers #7 - 30,681 (- 2.5%)

I think consistent runs would help, but only when combined with several other measures such as an apology tour towards fans and retailers ala Rebirth, especially the lower prices and returnability. I also think that DC is taking a loss on some books like Cyborg or New Super-Man by not canning them to give the impression of stability with Rebirth.

Also crucial is being honest about which books are minis and which are ongoings since Marvel has trained readers to expect anything not a-list to be a stealth mini at this point. Books like Nick Fury or Elektra did not sell any better than books openly solicited as minis such as Bullseye or Man-Thing which is a sign to me that Marvel's policy of not calling books minis since minis sell less than ongoings is yet another way they damaged themselves by only thinking in the short term.

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

So that's what, nearly a 63% decrease between the first issue and the seventh?

That's fucking crazy.

The constant relaunches have been at the expense of stability. DnA GOTG launched at 36k and ended more than 25 issues in on 27k. Now anything launching at 36k is DOA.

>impression of stability
this. this. this. stability means confidence in your stories and characters.

that's my single biggest issue with Marvel. I wouldn't mind an ACTUAL seasonal approach to comics, if they got their fucking ducks in a row. Instead they don't even show confidence in that model. They reboot their reboots and then change directions, visibly, multiple times throughout a single advertising push. Comicbooks, ESPECIALLY capeshit, are about the long game, and when you communicate nothing but desperation and indecision, it gives me no reason to support your product.

You also have to consider that they overshipped like crazy during Dezember 2016 as well as January/February 2017 so the actual falls where even more brutal.

>Comicbooks, ESPECIALLY capeshit, are about the long game, and when you communicate nothing but desperation and indecision, it gives me no reason to support your product.

Yep. The way Marvel has been approaching it they have not only giving readers the impression that they have no fucking clue or plan what they are doing, but also trained them to go 'why bother with this title if it's gonna get cancelled in five issues, anyway? May as well wait for the one trade this book is gonna get'.

How much d'you reckon? We talking maybe breaching the 80% mark or closer to the low 70s?

This is mad, by the way, I had no idea it was this bad.

and also keep in mind that every title on the planet loses huge numbers from #1 - #4ish. for instance, Avengers was never going to sell 80k every issue, BUT to your point, if it was going to have legs it would have stabilized at 40k and it's clearly just in freefall.

Well, they overshipped the Marvel Now 2.0 Captain Marvel #1 by 100%, and then matched the #2 issues they shipped to the #1. And they did that with several books.

Let that sink in to get an idea of just how badly they are doing.

Compare to Wonder Woman and other midlist titles over at DC, which seem to have largely stabilized around certain points by now. Wonder Woman is outselling Avengers more than 20 issues into the run, while double shipping to boot.

I see you saying stuff like this and I see people genuinely try to defend Marvel in other threads and now I just cannot see how anyone possibly could.

Jesus Christ.

Well the thing with the first issue is that retailers order as much as possible because they're guessing on the demand, then adjust. So the sales level may not be stable until somewhere between the third to fifth issue.

Take Ultimate Spider-Man's sales from 17 years ago:

USM #1: 54,407
USM #2: 47,080
USM #3: 51,899
USM #4: 59,362
USM #5: 59,238
USM #6: 65,344
USM #7: 76,097

Retailers and readers didn't have any confidence in this at the time. Bendis was mainly known for his crime comics (but by the time USM was published he was starting to get more known for Powers and Sam & Twitch) Then #1 was an instant smash hit and people were starting to pay like $20+ for it during the first week.

The sales started rising a little bit with #3, but it's by #6 that there was a really noticable increase.

If you take that logic with the Avengers sales, retailers adjusted their orders with #3 and while the decline is not bad since #1 orders aren't always indicative of the series, there's still a noticable decline during the run.

Nah FUCKFACE RETARD. There was nothing abiut sjw you retarded

Besides Sony and Fox dont want to sell.

Nothing you type makes sense, considering starwars sells with a slut on top nowadays.

>Seven to Eternity #8 will probably outsell Avengers

Marvel has issues in how it does its business on a basic level. The content is part of the problem and they have found a way to piss off and alienate both the classic Wednesday warrior and the newer or SJWish fans...but their main problem comes down to absolutely toxic business practices and their headless chicken approach to basically everything.

It varied. There was one month earlier this year where I think they overshipped on all titles and spun it like it was a favor to retailers.

But they are still doing it, it's just a different issue each month.

I dunno. I think with their other core books doing well and holding steady at twice monthly, DC can afford to keep the few low sellers going.

Plus, it seems like DC is actually giving it time to see how well trades do instead of immediately canning a book.

>when your comics aren't even worth the cost of space so you give them away for "free" so you can overprint and ship more comics that aren't even worth the cost of storage space so you give them away for "free"

And this was from last year.

Do you think there needs to be a push from retailers to create some sort of law or organisation to stop shit like this from happening? Like a union or something?

Honestly, I'm surprised something like that hasn't happened yet.

there's a retailer association. I'm sure Marvel is getting lots of "feedback."

Jesus just end already!!!
God I am so sick of Drumf's Hydra Land of Hitertopia already. I just want it to be over with.

Okay, well evidently that feedback isn't enough, because Marvel clearly just see it all as idle chit chat.

that is because it is civil war 3.

>Okay, well evidently that feedback isn't enough, because Marvel clearly just see it all as idle chit chat.

Well I suppose there might be other reasons.

Avenger title with:
>No real Captain America
>No real Thor
>No Iron Man
>No Hulk
>No real Wasp
>Real Spiderman is treated like a mental retarded
not so crazy

Worst part is that it isnt "free" to the retailer because the shipping cost goes up because of the weight increase. These comics wont sell and cost stores up front.

>Secret Empire #8 ups pages and price
Reminder that DC is doing so well that they're reducing the price on Dark Nights: Metal just to make their fans even happier than they already are.

It's still Avengers, though.

10 + Aftermath

Where do you get these figures?

I've been hurt by Marvel so long that it's almost an alien concept to have a company that not only makes products its customers want but also tries to get as much of their products as possible into their hands.

comicchron.

Comicsbeat also does sales analysis using the comicchron figures as well as researching which ones where tie-ins or overshipped.

Comichron has a chart with estimate sales figures (which they base on the chart Diamond gives out every month). And then on comicsbeat.com there's people who analyze the Comichron numbers when they can.

Does comicchron compensate for the issues marvel gives away and counts as sells?

that`s why it sold 80k in the first issue and 64k in the second issue and when fans understood that they were getting they stop buying it.

And what do you think that marvel is going to do? Give fans what they want?
Nop, they will relaunch and get 80k in their new first issue, 64k in their new second issue and when they get to issue 12 relaunch again and get 80k.
I thought this would not last but I was wrong, this have been an issue for years and fans keep buying relaunch after relaunch of "all new all different" but same garbage level comics.

>Hulk
>Avenger
MCUfags should stick to Sup Forums.

Sort of. They added a new feature called dollar rank so that if needed you can see if the unit sold and dollar rank varied vastly. Usually Marvel is in the lead dollar ranking-wise because their cover prices are high.

Let's take May's sales charts on Comichron:

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-05.html

Detective Comics #956 is #19 in units and 32 in dollar ranking. Since we know from Rhyno in the screencap of that DC doesn't do overshipping on initial launches, we can assume it's 32 in dollar rank because of its lower cover price relative to other stuff on the chart (like Venom #150 for $5.99).

But in that same screencap, Rhyno mentions that his store got 43 free copies of All-New Guardians of the Galaxy #2. If you look at that title on the May chart, the book (with a $3.99 cover price) is #26 in units, but #73 in dollars.

For comparison, Wonder Woman Annual #1 (with a $4.99 cover price) is #56 in units (36,427 estimated copies), but #26 on dollars.

Batwoman #3 (with a $3.99 cover price) ranked #81 in units (29,664 estimated copies) but #72 in dollars.

If you do the math, All-New GOTG #2 should be higher dollar wise than Wonder Woman Annual (higher cover price but less copies than ANGOTG) or Batwoman (same cover price, far less copies than ANGOTG). But it isn't. And the free extra copies provides the answer why.

Considering it's easily top 3 books on the market, this is good.

Mfw DC is filled with luck and pluck

Yeah, that's true. Hulk helped form the Avengers but after he left while having a fit, I think Cap was given Hulk's founding member status.

>tfw you missed out on the early months of Rebirth (outside of GLC) and now you regret it cause you feel like it's too late to catch up

What books can I jump into, lads?

>was given Hulk's
He got his own "Founder status", but Hulk has it as well.

Superman
New Superman
Green Lanterns
Deathstroke

You might as well get into the Metal event that's coming up too.

Deathstroke is the best capeshit book running

Why does Dr. Strange not look anything like Dr. Strange?

At this point DC's just punching Marvel in the nuts while they're curled on the ground in a fetal ball. Especially since both companies should be doing the opposite from a basic economic standpoint.

Marvel needs to keep prices down with all the negativity and poor sales the past year plus. I don't care how much content you add, increasing the price is just going to piss off more of the few hardcore customers hanging on and it's not going to draw new customers to you.

DC can raise prices since they're doing well and they're missing out on some extra cash because they'll still sell. Lowering the price is going to bring a bunch of good vibes to your existing fanbase though and likely attract new customers.

It seems like DC is just at such a good spot that they don't care about the extra money they could be making. Unlike Marvel, they're not separated from the movie side and they're making bank on things like trades, merchandise and projects like DC Superhero girls. They're also going to be rolling in cash and stability once the AT&T merger finalizes. DC's just at a point right now where they give no fucks so long as everyone - the customers, the retailers, the creatives, etc. - are happy.

That's not the only retailer kicked from the group. I'm mobile, so sorry for the simple BC link:
bleedingcool.com/2017/07/08/retailer-expelled-marvels-secret-facebook-group-penning-critical-oped/
That guy writes a column for comicsbeat, and was kicked after a recent post about marvel gimmicks

Copies that marvel gives away are included in the numbers, but the dollar rankings can be used to see how the overship is. Diamond (who has the numbers) used to adjust DC down 10% when they had returnable books.

>DC's just at a point right now where they give no fucks so long as everyone - the customers, the retailers, the creatives, etc. - are happy.
Sounds like they give a ton of fucks.

DC gives all the fucks.

I want someone to ask Remender where he was going to take the HYDRA mole plot and how he feels about Spencer continuing it.

He won't answer.

I wonder if that's because he doesn't want to burn any bridges? IIRC, he did say he'd be coming back to Marvel eventually when he left. But didn't he also leave because Marvel pissed him off by fucking with Axis?

Wow, what an integral part of the Avengers. Truly, how could anyone possibly have an Avengers roster without Avengers mainstay "the Hulk."

He still wants to write the X-Men someday.
I suspect Brevoort was the one he couldn't stand, but I'm almost certain he dislikes the current direction of Cap.

The HYDRA mole plot is also perfectly reusable in a post Secret Empire context.

Well, how could anyone like Brevoort?