In 10 years we'll have a Sharknado Cartoon like what happened with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

In 10 years we'll have a Sharknado Cartoon like what happened with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W_PrRd-Y56c
youtube.com/watch?v=b3uIKzgcDxo
youtube.com/watch?v=j1n4pZOUqe4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_of_the_Killer_Tomatoes_(TV_series)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this shit was my first cartoon
I loved being 2 or 3 and not knowing it was ironic

>tfw tomato

Since the people who made Sharknado are now doing terrible animated films(no idea if it's ironically or unironically), would they be animating their own movie?

Me too. This and X-men.
I can hum the theme song, and all I remember is a girl turning into a tomato when she sneezes.

youtube.com/watch?v=W_PrRd-Y56c

I was ~8 and I didn't get it. Also it refers to the movies and I obviously didn't watched them. Why does the insane guy alway talk about some war?

I would not be surprised.

The girl was my first waifu. I recently rewatched it and I was suprised about the fan service.

I never knew it was based on an older movies.

1979 and then The Return of the Killer Tomatoes in 1988, which must be what the cartoon was based on.

youtube.com/watch?v=b3uIKzgcDxo
youtube.com/watch?v=j1n4pZOUqe4

There was also a Toxic Avenger cartoon, based on the movie that was quite explicit to say the least

The early 90s was an odd time where people just accepted adult shit was seen by kids and was promoted to them

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_of_the_Killer_Tomatoes_(TV_series)

>The original film Attack of the Killer Tomatoes was released by Four Square Productions in 1978. A parody of the giant menace movies of the 1950s, it became a cult hit and predated the movie-spoofing disaster film Airplane! by two years. The Killer Tomatoes might have remained in that genre had it not been for an unlikely intervention from an equally unlikely source. During the 1986-1987 season of Muppet Babies, there was a segment in the episode "The Weirdo Zone" upon which Baby Fozzie deals with how he once faced an 'Attack of the Silly Tomatoes'. The segment used clips from the movie and concluded with Baby Fozzie using a giant-sized ketchup bottle to capture the Silly Tomatoes (he told bad jokes and the large tomatoes launched themselves at him, only to be caught inside the bottle when he ducked out of the way). It became one of the higher-rated episodes of the season, so much that New World Pictures (the owner of Marvel Productions, which made Muppet Babies) approached Four Square about making a sequel to Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes. Four Square had never intended to make a sequel but when New World approached them with a two-million dollar budget towards filming a potential sequel, John De Bello, Costa Dillon and Stephen Peace got to work on crafting a script. The resulting film, Return of the Killer Tomatoes, was a surprise success. New World was pleased with the results, and the company decided to duplicate the results of the film with an animated series aimed at a younger audience. Tweaking various characters and ideas from both Attack and Return, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Series was born and debuted as one of the first Saturday morning cartoons on the Fox Children's Network in the fall of 1990.

Man, who knew that Muppet Babies was responsible for all this?

How was Tara never a Sup Forums flavor of the month? She was a fine piece of produce.

Some cartoon had an episode with slightly better ratings featuring a spoof of the first movie and this lead to a second movie and a series.

Was it always so easy to get hollywood money or was this still in the cocaine phase?
There was no internet in 1990.

>There was no internet in 1990.

That never stopped Callie Briggs or Mirage or other Sup Forums girls from that era.

Probably doesn't help that there's never been any really decent quality rips.

As far as I remember all your examples are furries. There is your explaination.

The 90's was magical in that all those movies when they actually showed up on TV were PG-13 cuts. So kids never had a problem watching them. Like I saw Scarface several times as a kid but never saw the scene where they cut up a guy. It was really the way that they made all the classic action films family friendly. The cartoons worked well with that.

They probably still do that, but tv isn't as universal as it used to be.

Oh wow, I never thought about that.
Netflix probably doesn't have different versions for age ratings.
You'd think that would make it harder for something to become a pop culture when its not reaching everyone.

All I remember was that weird surfer dude henchman. Was it a stereotype of the time or a reference to older times? The surfer dude boom was pre-90's wasn't it?

>imply we'll ever reach that level of cartoon saturation ever again
That's when Standards didn't give a shit and literally every 80s movie had a cartoon.

There was a robot cop and toxic avenger cartoon for fucks sake

No. Early 90's for that specific kind of thing. But general surfer culture has been around in California since before the Beach Boys and is still around.

Did you forget that they make dreams come true?

What I don't understand is where the money for all these cartoons came from. This was before they could just hire a bunch of chinese students to slap some shit together in Flash/After Effects, or buy discount premade 3d assets and render them on dirt cheap office computers.

We're arguably in a better position to mass produce cartoon garbage about any topic we want, but the 90's with traditional cel animation beats us hands down. Why is this?

>where the money for all these cartoons came from
Toy sales. Every single one of any 80s/90s cartoon had merchandising to back it. These cartoons were probably only greenlit because executives new they had a sure thing for toy sales from them.

That and majority of these cartoons were poorly animated where the only effort was put into the opening. It was just transformers and He man all over again

He reminds me of Simon Belmont from Captain N.

Believe it or not, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (season 2) was the first cartoon to use motion tweening. They'd draw up the keyframes by hand, then use computers to "puppet" them around to save costs. It was way ahead of its time in terms of cheap animation.

They filmed Attack of Killer Tomatos in my very unknown hometown which was also made the tip ten of the most boring places in the US

You are right
You steal my words,Tara was hot

Has anyone a better rip? 1990 VHS isn't good enough.

I don't think one exists.

Dont forget the creepy crawlers cartoon