I'm in a Hellboy mood, Sup Forums...

I'm in a Hellboy mood, Sup Forums. Can we have a thread to discuss one of the greatest epics of modern literature currently being produced next to, say, A Song of Ice and Fire?

Who else is hype as fuck for the gorgeous HCs we're going to be getting over the next year? Hell on Earth, Hellboy in Hell and Abe Sapien oh boy.

>greatest epics of literature
Boy, that's depressing. Hellboy isn't that good outside of Mignola. BPRD is full of shock for the sake of it and hollywood action. And comparing it so ASoIaF makes Hellboy look embarrassing. Read actual literature. Read Jerusalem by Alan Moore.

>one of the greatest epics of modern literature currently being produced next to, say, A Song of Ice and Fire

Read more.

I mean yeah, Hellboy is probably my favorite comic book series. Do you think the new movie is going to be good?

Where do I start?

From the beginning.

The first trade, Seed of Destruction.

I said Hellboy, i meant Hellboy. While the nitty gritty etcetera of the world in BPRD and the like is plotted by Mike, i'm specifically referring to the saga of HB which is all Mike.

And I'm gonna stick by my praise for Hellboy as a modern fantasy epic, his story and journey is remarkably well crafted, his character exceptionally well-defined and his triumphs and failings all natural and character driven. I don't say epic in the meme sense either, the overarching mythological nature of the character in the world he is placed totally make it an epic story, following an epic hero. In the same way Achilles' rage set up his downfall, so too does Hellboy's refusal of his birthrights and pervasive humanity.

I feel like their good artists are slowly leaving.
Atleast Zonjic remains.

>Hellboy
>Being this edgy.
I bet you enjoy Alan Moore too.

I've been pleased by all I've heard so far, and Younger Harrison Ford from Stranger Things is a strong pick for Hellboy.

I'm just a little concerned about starting a new movie series with The Storm and The Fury, which is why i really hope the titual Blood Queen isn't Nimue but Hecate. Wake the Devil'd be a great place to start. Hellboy's death, notsomuch.

Please do tell me what's edgy about Hellboy, i'm genuinely at a loss.

>muh satan

>one of the greatest epics of modern literature currently being produced next to, say, A Song of Ice and Fire
I love Hellboy but your taste is shit, mate.

>instead of giving an argument goes MUH NOUN

Oh, so you're just shitposting not actually trying to discuss something. Carry on.

>implying ASOIAF is written with any kind of regard to literary customs of real epic
>implying you know the difference between epic and high or low fantasy
>implying you are not baiting together with

I am not implying any of these things.
In fact I was implying quite the opposite, do you have a reading comprehension problem or something?

Anyone know if the Visitors: How and Why he stayed good? Or does anyone have links or maybe is willing to story time it

What artist would you want in the Hellboy book

>Hellboy
>edgy

See pic related, faggot, though I think you're just a low quality baiter.

I have my doubts, basically because what said. If the Blood Queen turns out to be Nimue instead of Hecate, from my point of view it can only mean one of two things; they're either completely replacing Hecate with Nimue, of they're going to adapt the Storm and the Fury, which I think is a shitty start for a movie franchise based on Hellboy, because that's the story arc where Hellboy dies and goes to Hell

It isnt an epic of literature, thats a different medium, and implying the focus is on the text is a huge disservice to Mignola's masterful storytelling. It is however one of the great masterpieces of sequential art.

They can easily just cut out Nimune coming back after the Dragon is slain and killing Hellboy and there wont be an issue.

*visual storytelling.

comics can be literature, saying something is literature isn't so much a statement on it being text as it is the quality of the narrative

I didn't think it needed to be explained, but you asked for it.

For anything artistic it does, it's an intellectual pretension. Everything related to "good literature theory" is post hoc trend spotting.

And comic books like Hellboy are taken with this veneer of intellectualism, when they and their kind are really just edgy. There are pretensions of literary theory and pseudo intellectualism in general, among authors and readers.

It's good but doesn't add much to the universe, just a nice feels train.

How is Hellboy edgy? I agree that a lot of determining what is 'true art' is pointless pretension, but Hellboy is a really good and very well executed comic with a lot of thematic depth.

Edgy is using violence and blood as primary means to engage the audience, with main characters cringefully reveling in the act of violence. You literally read the word 'edgy' a few days ago and are now cramming it into any subject you don't like or act contrarian about.

Hellboy does indulge in the pulp genre and at its heart was created as a light-hearted superheroic figure that rejects an absolute evil origin for classic human ideals.
The 'epic' part comes with the mythology that Mignola created around the child-like character. The way it's written goes down to the simplest forms of humor, that make it down-to-earth, despite your attempts at making it less than it is (simplicity makes fro powerful writing sometimes) but sometimes echoes the language of epic poems.

Neglecting the written part, that is somewhat small with the great silences of Hellboy's pages, is close-minded as a comic must be valued as the sum of its visual art and its writing.

It's not the best comic in absolute, but it's a very good comic, perhaps among the best, that does its job in entertaining its readers for dread, sadness or even for the joy of the fistfights. You don't need intellectualism for a good comic about a guy from hell who just wants pancakes but is forced to consider his nature and duty in a world full of eldritch monstrosities.

But perhaps you're just convinced that since art is subjective and meaningless on the long-term for humanity there aren't human standards on what defines a well-written and well-drawn comic, and judge who disagrees a pseudo-intellectual of some sort. You probably didn't even read further than 'hellboy satan cthulhu rasputin yadda yadda'.

>tl;dr: you don't know what edgy means, Hellboy isn't edgy, it's quite good, appreciating it has nothing to do with 'intellectualism', you have very low understanding of literature and comics as mediums and should go think about how little and sad you are.

I just want more Amazing Screw-On Head

Anyone happen to read the Conqueror Worm?

As long as that also means more Emperor Zombie.

Primary reason I want it. He was too good for this world. I was crushed when Mignola himself said he never had any additional Head stories in mind and it will forever be a one-shot. The canned TV show was our only chance.

Was the animation just too expensive to continually produce?

It was one of several pilots Scifi footed that were pitted against each other for online votes, with the winner getting a full series. Screw-On Head did not win. I don't remember what did.

There was no contest, there was just a survey to determine if it would be a full series or not, and the results were not favorable because people don't deserve nice things.