Why are cut-away jokes bad?

Why are cut-away jokes bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_MacFarlane's_Cavalcade_of_Cartoon_Comedy
youtube.com/watch?v=VmMKiimujtk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i think they arent necessarily, but its often used very very cheaply, way too often, and for absolute garbage jokes.

>spend a third or more of your run time cutting away to the same unfunny joke over and over
>zomg why don't you like this!?!?!

this is worse than that tme a family guy thread got over 100 replies and none of them even discussed the show

Any type of joke is bad when overdone.

Family Guy's brand of cut-away is bad.
Actually, it isn't even "bad", it's just the same formula repeated for 10 fucking years, it got stale after one year, what does it feel like now?

They're not, as such; you only have to accept you're not watching the kind of show with writers competent enough to tie the comedy to a storyline, and take it as it is: a generic package for random but functional standup material

>Why are cut-away jokes bad?

1. Having to stop to explain a joke Ruins the pacing
2. A joke that you have to explain is worse than a joke that stand on it's own
3. Family Guy cutaway jokes are usually very topical and often reference politics or celebrities, making them dated very quickly

They aren't. The problem in Family Guy's case is they overuse them and they make weak jokes.

the whole point of a sit-com is to set up situations that create comedy.

comedy without any kind of setup is basically just a joke, which is fine, but a good sitcom can do better.

honestly the third time was hilarious

they kept doing this fucking horrible joke

very brazen

is it possible to run for 10+ seasons without some horrible episodes?

how the fuck do these people write all this stuff

even spotless shows like king of the hill had shitty episodes (the canadians one)

why? Because they're just a lazy way to fill time.

Why write a coherent comedy when you can just do a cutaway that has NO relevance to the plot...or anything really?

"HOLY CARP, LOIS! I'VE BEEN FIRED FROM MY JOB. THIS IS JUST LIKE THAT TIME I GOT STRANDED ON THE MOON WITH E.T AND TOKEN STAR WARS REFERENCE!"

the problem with that

is it works

it's lazy but it works

in fact your quote is basically the plot to american dad and family guy blue harvest

'cutaway gags' aren't bad, Family Guy is bad.

Because Seth won't bite the mullet and just make a sketch show

which is funny because that's literally what his humor is best suited for

never said it didn't work. It works very well...for Seth McFarlane.

If someone else tries to do it, everyone will say it's "trying to be the next Family Guy"

But just because something is successful doesn't mean that it's good.

>cartoon cavalcade

no, he's just shit. It's shit, anons. Shit.

cartoon cavalcade was some weird burger king promo shit

it could have been great if not for that stupid nipple skit

>it's just the same formula repeated for 10 fucking years
Almost 20 years user.

I've noticed that the setups for them are always really forced.

"This door is yellow, like the bee that came to my house last week."

"You've ruined this like Michael Crawford ruined that one voice he does."

"We'll get along even better than Lincoln and his neighbor! (shows cutaway of Lincoln not getting along with his neighbor.)"

They're not bad when they are done well. McFarlane and his writing staff are just lazy.

He did
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_MacFarlane's_Cavalcade_of_Cartoon_Comedy

grasping at straws
family guy is not that stupid it's not smart but it's definitely not for mouth breathing drones like you guys make it out to be

What about the 5 second video where a guy goes up a roller coaster?

I'm curious to see if they could recycle the exact same cutaway twice to see if anyone would notice.

Because South Park told me they were.

They also told me Hillary was a lock for President.

The first time they did it, it was okay.
It was only like half a minute and the segway made sense.
The next bunch were just meant to waste time.

They aren't. It's just they've been done to death already and humor can change throughout the years.

But the whole joke about Hillary was how she kept sabotaging herself by accident, and that Garrison was (reluctantly) winning.

lazy

I still don't even know what a cutaway gag is.

>plot is going on
>cut away from plot to unrelated situation to make a joke
>cut back to plot

well, they used to be ok. but then it devolved into laziness that is obviously used to fill in screen time. You can't seriously tell me the conway twitty segments, the "dancing in the street" music video", or when lois and bonnie toured france in puppet style were funny or necessary?

Cause the concept of 'cut away jokes" lasted more than 10 minutes past it's conception.

30Rock's cut away jokes are GOAT.

I've only ever seen that in Family Guy. People said Bojack Horseman did it but I can't think of any examples from Bojack.

Cutaway gags aren't inherently bad, but Family Guy's cutaway gags are often tangentially linked to the plot and are often poorly executed as a result. If you want an example of good, plot-relevant cutaway gags, I'd suggest 30 Rock.

They weren't until FG overdid it to the point where it's cringeworthy

I make this face because of this episode of the simpsons

>Family Guy S1
>cleverly timed and well thought out jokes that were relatable to the situation, had their own sense of humor as well, and when there was violence it was only absurd and comical

>10 seasons later
>Shitty sequences with a lack of thought that are intended to get a laugh out of teenagers, by being overly too fourth wall, barely making any sense, intentionally boring, or bloody as hell with shock value

No, he's right. There's a difference between Family Guy before 2007 and Family Guy now. Even the post-cancellation episodes before 2007 followed a different formula.
youtube.com/watch?v=VmMKiimujtk
Look at the animation then and the animation now. 2007 was the transitional period between 'classic' Family Guy and modern Family Guy.

Every Family Guy Scene ever:

>Shot of the house with shitty jingle intro
>Peter and Family either in the living room or kitchen
>One member of the family opens with "I can't believe _____ is _______." Reiterating the shitty plot for the episode
>Another family member responds with the worst fucking animation ever, either raising their arm up half-way or fully, they then stretch out both arms
>Shitty meta-cutaway joke pointing out how tired cutaways have become
>Go to the next shitty location

remember mountain lion dick?

not so much bad as overused

>1. Having to stop to explain a joke Ruins the pacing

This, though. Same reason it sucks when Doug Walker does cutaways. The ways to kill a joke are to explain it or drag it out which these kinds of cutaways are meant to do