Where were you when Warren Ellis and Adi Shankar saved Western Animation?

Where were you when Warren Ellis and Adi Shankar saved Western Animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3zXu8_tfJ-g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck posted small version of the poster by accident

4 episodes a savior does not make

next season is 8 episodes

Now make an R-rated, theatrically-released action/horror animated movie.

This. A claim like that can only be made if Castlevania somehow gets so successful for netflix that it snowballs into netflix going into a frenzy and jumping on the action animation train at full speed.

Which is very, very doubtful. Entertaining 4 episodes, though

>see some dude on Sup Forums assuming this has "the usual" English voice cast and talking about how much he hates them
>look up who's in it
>Richard Armitage, an accomplished actor

Bet that dude feels like an idiot now.

I mean they also have Voltron which is going on it's thirst season. Now they have castlevania, plus all the anime they sub. They seem to want to get the jump on it and are doing what they need to

I love Armitage and Strike Back season 1 (The only one that counts) is a top tier show. That said... This is not his best work.

Gotta say the English dub was great. Trevor's voice was on point, his GF I forget her name, was cute in voice & character. However at no point did I feel she was just eye candy.

looks cool
is it any good?

Only complaint I have is the first moments when they kill Dracula's wife for reasons and she's like "No, forgive them! They know not what they do!" while she's BURNING AT THE STAKE.

Fuck woman, you're about to leave the mortal coil in a charred blaze because of a huge bullshit perpetrated by assholes. How about some anger? I wanted her to yell to Dracula "Fuck this fucking country and their bent priests".

That and how she approached the castle and won him over with her magic dream pixie girl attitude felt forced and phony. Granted, I don't know much about Castlevania lore, I'm just saying what it felt like.

It's only 4 episodes, user

so? is it good or not?

more like it made Castlevania's corpse twitch a bit

looking forward to season 2

She didn't want those people to die despite their ignorance. She knew what Dracula was capable of, and despite the fact that she was dying didnt want to see innocent men, women, children and babes torn apart for the sake of avenging her. People like that do exist. We have it in ourselves to be noble abd heroic as well as monstrous and spiteful. It's a choice we make based somewhat on societal programming, but a choice nonetheless.

Reminder that THIS is the ginormous faggot you retards are supporting by praising this tryhard hack shit.

Why would anyone want normal actors over voice actors?

Voice actors are better at playing animated characters. "Real" actors never put any effort or emotion into it and sound painfully obviously like they think they're too good to be voicing a cartoon.

pretty solid. some people get pissy about gore and swearing but since its announcement they've said it will be mature and violent.

and Richard Armitage is fantastic in it as Trevor

>"No, forgive them! They know not what they do!" while she's BURNING AT THE STAKE.
She's emulating Jesus's plea to God to spare his crucifiers. It's to paint her as a martyr and to show how the show is going to approach religion (sincere/purehearted belief vs powerful hypocrites). Her being angry about it would go against the point.

Nothing that has ever advertised itself as "mature and violent" has appealed to anyone over the age of 14.

He looks better than you.

Seems like a cool guy. Would drink with.

>he said between sloppy, dribbling gulps of Faygo as it runs down his face smearing his clown make-up

hold the fuck up, was this actually inspired by symphony of the night?

I was here, reading a shill thread started by some paid Netflix fag.

Dracula and Alucard are largely based on their Symphony of the Night selves. The rest is based on Castlevania 3.

are you guys kidding me? is this for real? i cant honestly believe the belmont clan has its own bloody cartoon.

its like god actually likes us

mostly a Castlevania III prologue with some stuff from SOTN for Alucard and Dracula development RIP Lisa

oh god im going full up retard here, ok im sorry im done now

youtube.com/watch?v=3zXu8_tfJ-g

The guy is awesome he produced dredd and dirty laundry.

So what if he's a faggot? He's a talented one, unlike you.

>makes poorly-written, forgettable OVA
>"saved animation"

Yeah, didn't Samurai Jackfags say a similar thing when season 5 began?

Oh good, trying to force jesus shit into Castlevania again.. because that worked so well in Lords of Shadow.

yeah i have no desire to watch this steamed trash
"saving animation" my ass

Have you never played a Castlevania game? Even in Symphony of the Night, Lisa's death is portrayed as a crucifixion. See . There has been religion everywhere in the series.

Don't talk shit about my ex Matthew Patel

In the games, she dies the same way, but with a small difference. She's not shouting at the sky to Dracula, who may not be watching. She's instead talking to her son Adrian (Alucard) who is there in the crowd, who she gives her last words to.
She basically says to her son to tell Dracula "Please don't hate humans. If you can't live with them, don't make their lives worse. They already suck as is." And that she'll love them both forever.

One of the instruction manual even directly compares her to Jesus.

"That's right, I only want PG-13 movies from Hollywood from now on."

I really liked it, but it was way too fucking short. I let the episodes auto play so I didn't notice until Netflix started trying to play that Glow shit that it was only four episodes long. Talk about disappointment.

Play the fucking videogames.

>Saved Western animation
>Wow look at all those Korean artists and animators in the credits

>Trevor Belmont: "Shhhhhhhhit."

ok I laughed.

"YOU CAME FROM SHIT, I CAME FROM SHIT. WE ALL CAME FROM SHIT"

this dialogue though

>saved Western Animation

I gotta hand it to them, there's a lot of dead kids. They don't give a shit.

>In the games, she dies the same way,

Doesn't Castlevania 3 just uh, start?

I love this guy, he made Dredd : super fiend,That punisher short, didn't he do a power rangers short to? And also the Dredd movie. I like him for his work

His work has been good so far. I fail to see your point.

>dub
It's not an anime. It's a western adaption, just in an anime-like style.
Also, Sypha, she isn't his girlfriend but they are destined to marry & have a child so I guess you're technically right.

#
#
#

See here
#

Her death is based off SotN. The Netflix series takes aspects of SotN (Lisa's Death, Alucard & Dracula's design, Alucard's weapon, etc.) & Mixes it with Dracula's Curse, which of you didn't know is the Subtitle of Castlevania 3. They're trying to make a story since like you said, Castlevania 3 didn't have much of a story.

Like others have said, do a bit of research before jumping the like so many others have because of religion which has been in Castlevania before Lord of Shadows.

Jews killed Jesus.
Church killed Dracula's wife, and the little humanity he had.

Tell me, who did the worst?

I've never understood this, the Romans killed Jesus, why don't people hate Italians?

Pontius Pilate asked the Jews to chose the man who would be crucified, and the Jews chose Jesus because they didn't see him as a savior or king.

But like, the Jews were scared and the Romans still were the ones who asked them to who to murder.

The language in the Gospels more or less exonerates Pilate and the Romans. This seems to make some sense, given who wrote the Gospels; a new religious is looking for reasons to distance themselves from the Jews. As such, the text of Matthew has been used as justification for the claim of Jewish deicide (and for anti-semitism among various Christian sects) for a long damn time. The wiki article on this topic suggests contemporary scholars and historians agree that the Jewish high priests in Jerusalem are culpable, and the charge of deicide was repudiated by the Catholic church a few decades ago.

To add to this, the Jewish authorities sought Jesus' execution, but had to go through the Romans to get it accomplished because they didn't have the authority to kill him.

bump

So this is pretty weird. I share my Netflix account with my cousin Joy, and we maintain separate profiles. I was curious to see what she'd been watching lately so I signed in using her account just to see her "Continue watching" list. Whilst doing so, I noticed that Netflix showed Castlevania with a very different thumbnail than it does for me. Pic related.

We're both Canadian, so it's not a by-country difference. I wonder if the program has some algorithm which says "this user is more likely to respond to something artistic, whereas this other user is likely to respond to something quirky and retro."

If so, I'm a little insulted that I didn't get the quirky and retro treatment.

That's neat.

Netflix knows you're a faggot

Key frames are done in america

I still do not get if Dracula is Satan or not, also why bother fighting him when you cannot get rid of him and you get peave for few hundred years at best.

>christians get extremely butthurt over this show

You people ever heard of holy inquistion?During dark ages if you weren't pbeying chrch you were tortured or burned alive.

Presumably out of concern for the well-being of those people who get to enjoy a few Dracula-free generations between returns, and out of concern for the people who would suffer his predation for untold centuries at a time if you DON'T stop him, both in Wallachia and elsewhere.

>watching last episode
>seeing Alucard reach for his coat
>erection.jpg
>"fuck yeah, put that thing on,you bastard"

What the hell. I never thought I would feel excited about anything Castlevania ever again and here I am. Starts out with Sotn backstory and then goes right into III and connects it all into fine story. The action is nice and juicy and character designs are reall nice. Trevor even has his dumb scar.
Im guessing they decided to scrap Grant completly? Wonder if theyll put him in as a nod somewhere

In games it's implied that at some point Dracula and his castle became one with pure chaos. So he's kinda devil like. In Castlevania tho all devils from all religions and beliefs exist so, it's not a big deal really.

>Im guessing they decided to scrap Grant completly?

Warren Ellis talked about this when he was writing the script ten years ago. Basically, he couldn't find a way, narratively, to get a pirate character involved in a story in a landlocked nation, but he intended to have him show up later in the plot.

Also, to change the spelling from "DaNasty" to "Denesti" because "DaNasty is a stupid fucking name."

sounds like a perfect way to do it. in the game he was completly optional and easily missable anyways.

The way it's written now, it seems like Grant should have been someone who met Dracula while he was traveling, and followed him to Wallachia when shit went down.

Raising the bar is important too. Remember Evangelion?

Wait, so it's only 4 episodes? Tell me it ain't so, please

He looks like a cool dude to be honest

Season 2 is confirmed.

Already renewed for a second season with eight more episodes confirmed. If it does well I'm sure we'll get more.

Wonder why they made Alucard blond. Was white hair too generic for modern day or too bleak?

We need our boy Grant to spice things up

Á show that goes to shit after episode 13 and is considered as a grand masterpiece, despite being overall bad?

>initially think it's a nothing personnel moment
>then remember Alucard does indeed have a move like that in the games
they care
they actually care

>Wonder why they made Alucard blond
Because he is blonde in games since SOTN?
The only times when he wasn't blond was C3 and non-canon games, such as Judgement, Legends and Lords of Shadow.

There were a number of neat little nods like that. When Trevor was tossing torches and holy water around when things were going to shit above ground, I had a nice little laugh; it was a neat fanservicey moment.

There are plenty little references like that - Dracula's teleportation, throwing axe, the character palletes for Trevor and Sypha, the Belmont family crest from Lords of Shadow.

Oh, hey, it just changed for me. I wonder how many of these there are.

Huh, I guess you are right.
I think I'm remembering him having white hair because his in game sprite had it

The sprite is still platinum blonde though, though it's an easy mistake to make with that resolution and all.

>"This isn't a bar fight, have some class"
>punches you

I hooe for some Simon and Richter action. And if this is succesful SotN would be a given seeing how insanely popular it is. Some Shanoa and Soma would be cool too.

I-I liked Legends.

Wonder what powers from the game does he have.*teleports behind you * and yiff-form are confirmed. Can he turn into mist and bat? Do a griffon jump? Do the fire teleport?

Pumping and dumping blonde chicks

>Do the fire teleport?

It's arguably his most iconic move, having also been his main thing in Castlevania 3. I would be very surprised if we didn't see it turn up in season 2 at some point.

>Gore
>Mature

Maybe for those virgins on Sup Forums who jerk to dead women

Whip fights were really amazing, caught me by surprise.

At first I figured it wouldn't work, because Ellis is best at writing drunk, heroic shitbags.

Then I realized he just fixed that by writing Trevor as a drunk, heroic shitbag and it TOTALLY FUCKING WORKS.

Why is it so choppy?

It makes sense for Trevor too since the game goes on and on how he had to sacrifice oh so much.

Netflix believes you are a faggot. Also calling castlevania quirky means you are a dick eating weeboo faggot

People do, just for different reasons.

This. Even Adrian was down for going after the people who were really responsible. But she knew Dracula wouldn't stop there if he really got going and what happened next backed that up.