So why didn't this guy catch on? Is it because he's a FREAKING WHITE MALE? His powers were pretty cool too

So why didn't this guy catch on? Is it because he's a FREAKING WHITE MALE? His powers were pretty cool too.

It happens every couple if years
>get a cool new character
>interesting powers
>has fun stories
>quickly forgot about

I thought Ms Marvel was the next one but she lasted longer and it skipped to Spider-Gwen

Probably. I was really disappointed to see he didn't last long. If he was a minority he would have been a best seller. The times have changed.

Even Spider-Gwen's getting in the new Spidey cartoon. The current forgotten new hero is Mosaic. I don't think anyone even noticed his series ended.

Alpha was really cool too

:/ where'd he go

he was reincarnated in a cute brown girl atleast

Really though, no one made it out of the Avengers Initiative right? I mean most of those teen heroes were pretty meh but a few were cool

Oh great, just what we need, MORE X-Men.

I honestly forgot about Mosaic I read the first issue when it was storytimed here and thats it

I remember Gravity he was supposed to be the next Protector of the Universe after Quasar...and then puf! no more Gravity.

isn't Starbrand the protector of the Universe

But mosaic was not a cool chacter and did not had fun stories.

I disagree.

some years before hickman there was not starbrand in 616 (no counting the one that quasar brought from new universe)

>>Lasts 40 fucking issues
>>Dedicated fanbase
>>Hey! Let's put them in a hunger games scenario.
>>Fags liked it cause of fag character
>>Welp, it looks like AA wasn't popular enough. Better not use the characters ever again.

Just thinking about it makes me want to stab someone.

Nobody made it out of the 2000's but X-23 because people have to fap to a damaged hot girl.

tfw no more finesse

oh I liked Weisman's weird series

Hazmat was muhh girl

It's nearly impossible to get a new character to catch on in the big 2, man. And Gravity might have been a cool concept but that first mini he had was boring as hell. That set the tone for his whole existence. Bland, inoffensive and dull. Not the makings of a lasting character.

Starbrand, Nightmask and Pod are Planetary Defense systems

They protect Earth specifically.

He was alright, but he had really nothing unique about him as a character to hook into. He was a C-Lister from the word go.

What kills me about Academy is that the characters were so great, and no other writer used them outside their own book. Flash forward to today, and Moon Girl is in 4 books a month, and solves two events! What the fuck?!

Those characters were made for their ensemble cast. They didn't have a whole lot of star potential on their own, and they weren't written to.

It's because no one gives a fuck about new superheroes. That's why they have to resort to legacy heroes when they want to make new characters.

and Moon Girl is?

>I don't think anyone even noticed his series ended.
I did. It was good, but I was surprised to see that it even lasted until 8. That shit was dead on arrival. It's a shame that we'll probably never get what happened with his original body resolved but what can ya' do.

Nah, Starbrand is just the Protector of Earth. The people gifted with powers during a White Event are meant to protect and guide a planet while it goes through a paradigm shift. Quasar is the "Protector of the Universe."

Reptil was created for the Super Hero Squad cartoon

He had a pretty decent powerset, and solving the mystery of what happened to his parents was a cool motivation. There was a lot of potential there between the personal nature of his journey to search for his parents and all of the paleontological stuff they could have thrown in along the way.

Too bad almost all of that got put on hold when he was shuffled into the school book. And then came Arena

Moon Girl was created to be pushed, so we're getting her whether we want her or not.

the difference is that she's black so if you try to stop it you're racist

Moon-Girl was created as a solo hero (or, well, as a partner for Devil Dinosaur). You can not like the character, but her character is designed to play off of Devil and her supporting cast, not as part of an ensemble. The Avengers Academy characters were created as part of an ensemble cast and really don't have any legs when not part of that. I loved Avengers Acedemy (well, up until the west coast status quo. Everything after Fear Itself was pretty sub-par) but none of them would really work as solo heroes.

It's similar to the issue a lot of X-men have. Yeah Wolverine can work as a solo hero, but most X-men don't. Cyclops is the greatest character in Marvel's repertoire but he doesn't work solo. He's very much a team-only character. Similarly, among the Fantastic Four, Thing can work great as both solo or part of an ensemble, but Reed and Sue don't since so much of their characters require being part of an ensemble cast to bounce off of.

Moon-Girl on the other hand doesn't work all that well in an ensemble (see: Secret Warriors or most of her non-solo ongoing appearances) because then she just gets relegated to "the really smart girl" because an ensemble cast doesn't have as much room for character focus as a solo, but when it's just Moon-Girl and Devil, it works. Hence, she's better as a solo character rather than a team/ensemble character, whereas the Avengers Academy kids are team/ensemble characters, not solo.

>where'd he go
I never read it, but I heard that the quality took a nosedive after something about Omegalevel.

>where'd he go
Pittsburgh. Truly, a fate worse than death. At least you can come back from death. You can't come back from the Burgh.

Striker would've been a good character to push for the current SJW agenda, he had basically the same arc they tried to give Iceman about figuring out he's gay, except they didn't need Jean to fucking mindrape him to make it happen. Fuck that pisses me off.

You know, you can use SOME of the characters from AA and not them all as one giant group everywhere. Moon Girl is actually kind of funny in Secret Warriors though. The only place I can stand her.

>you can use SOME of the characters from AA and not them all as one giant group everywhere
I agree. Mettle would probably have worked. BUT OH WAIT.

You got that right. I still remember the final line: don't let gravity keep you down! I cringed.

He never even got a love interest. That's a staple of these teenage "Spider-Man" types. Gravity had a lot of potential we'll never get to see.

And even that only happened because he failed to be the new Spider-Man they intended him to be.

I would have been happy with either...

>Is it because he's a FREAKING WHITE MALE?
Nah. He was here and gone before the diversity push got into full swing. It may not seem like it but Gravity came out 12 years ago.

He never had his own book again, but he showed up from time to time for a while. He was a big part of Beyond, and was one of the main members of the young allies, he even had his own little arc in the middle of Fear Itself.
Last we saw him he was working with the Young Avengers, but just as an occasional background hero.

There wasn't really a teen team for him to be part of meaning there wasn't really a place for him. If the New Warriors had been around then he could've gone there and hopefully gathered some steam but instead I think his very next appearance was dying at the end of Beyond! and that was really it.

I was always annoyed that after he came back they never had him follow up with his girlfriend either. Even McKeever just ignored her and started pairing him up with Rikki.

>dying at the end of Beyond! and that was really it.
Nah, he showed up in six more books after that. In decreasingly prominent roles over time, but still.

What I mean is that he didn't get a chance to get established. He had his mini, then got killed off and that derailed any potential momentum he might have had. He came back in a widely disliked Fantastic Four run and stayed in marginal teen books (even by teen book standards). I don't think he's even appeared in a comic since Fear Itself which was six fucking years ago.

Spider Island and Young Avengers, but mostly just as a cameo.

I think Spider-Island was before/concurrent with Fear Itself

Can we talk about how Gravity's suit is both incredibly stylish AND one of the most practical Super-suits.
>Comfortable pants, with pockets
>Sturdy belt
>All-terrain running shoes
>Eye protection built into the cowl
>Padded gloves to protect your punching hands.

It started 4 months after, so it was running during the tail end of it.

idk, I like it and hate it at the same time. his logo (even his name) could be better. His eye goggles remind me of Invincible which is basically a perfect super hero costume. opening the cowl and letting his hair out would help sell his gravity usage (like how Kat has a scarf and long hair that always falls/points to the "true" gravity).

I thought so too when i saw that lil faggot he looks like Invincible.

Invincible's got a good look, but his cowl and gloves are gonna leave hair and fingerprints everywhere, risking his secret identity.
...Well, actually his hair follicles might be superstrong, but the second part definitely.

Once Bendis remembers he existed he'll kill him.

People didn't like McDuffie's run on FF? News to me.

It was way better then JMS and Millar's

Alpha was a whiny pisslord. Dude got shoved on a bus because everyone hated him.

>Alpha was really cool too
Agreed.

It was right before the whole Ock as Spidey arc began, but I kinda liked the idea of Spidey being his mentor. (I like Spidey mentoring young heroes consistently in earnest in general.)

But yeah. He had his mini that set up some stuff, but Spidey never got around to checking up on him after getting his body back.

Dude had potential, especially in the development department (it might have came off too strong too quickly, but I liked the idea of it), as well as power-wise.

He was shit and he went into the trash where he belongs

He'll just bodyswap him into some character who happens to look like one of his black adopted children

He became Ultraboy and pissed off to another state.

Okay, significantly appeared. Cameos may as well not count.

I actually like that he hasn't really shown up again. He got powers, was a cocky douchebag who fucked things up. He tries to be a genuine hero on his own but the reality is that he's a kind of an idiot and really bad at it so no matter how well-meaning he may be he just makes things worse.