What's Sup Forums's consensus on Carnage?

What's Sup Forums's consensus on Carnage?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gevm2wPbC6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=75fRyhhUkUY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Much like his very character is a more extreme version of Venom, so is his reception from fans

He is extremely overrated by edgy 90s kids who think he is the end all be all of comic villains just because he loves killing and gore more than most, and extremely underrated by oldfags and youngfags who hate everything from that era as having no worth whatsoever when he is actually quite entertaining and silly in his own right

He seems far too powerful to be fighting Spider-Man in the first place.

Why is that a bad thing though? Every hero needs some "hero killer" villains, guys they need to team up with others to beat or who easily outclass them

Prior to symbiotes Spideys worst threats were what...Osborn and Otto? One pretty much matches his intelligence and strength but is just rutheless as an edge, and the other is a normal guy with super strong arms but is super smart. Of course there are guys like Rhino, Electro, Scorpion, and Sandman who have amazing physical capabilities but they all have small time brains and Pete can easily use his smarts to beat them. Venom was like a character who could truly give Pete a run for his money as a superior, and Carnage was the next level. Plus they are both balanced by the glaring weaknesses symbiotes have, they're like boss fights in a video game where they have really high stats in almost every area, but a VERY weak special defense

youtube.com/watch?v=gevm2wPbC6Y

youtube.com/watch?v=75fRyhhUkUY

I don't have a strong opinion on him, but I guess his motivations are pretty dull. At least his looks are cool, but definitely not my favourite symbiote-dude.

What do you lads think about Spider-Carnage?

desu it was pretty disturbing as a kid seeing the face of the protagonist destroy reality with an evil psychopath smile

He looks cool.
His character wasn't all that interesting though.

I like carnage. Perfect Villain desu, he's likable because he's so unlikable.

He's ruthless, there's not a good heart under there, he just wants to fuck shit up. Makes me actually root for Spiderman to take him out, because he's crazy as fuck

During the 90s, most sociopath serial killer characters were written as cultured, erudite cosmopolitan types in the vein of Hannibal Lecter. They killed out of boredom, using murderous hedonism to find some kind of deeper meaning to their privileged lives (see Mr. X for a hilarious example of this). Cletus surprisingly manages to avoid being too grating because he's an unabashed redneck. He's uncultured, rude, gross, racist and he doesn't care which makes him a breath of fresh air. It's why Carnage-Man and his self-titled were so much fun to read.

Carnage as a spider villain is great in small doses. The kind of thing where Peter would legitimately need to call in another hero and justify a team up.

ANAD Carnage was some of the best horror marvel has put out. The mineshaft arc at the start was GOAT Carnage imo.

He exists for us to see the human side of Venom so I give it a pass, he's like palpatine, sometimes purely evil characters can work

Underrated villain. I expect a surge in popularity after the "Venom" movie.

I always thought his original design made it look like he had big cartoon irises in a permanent crosseyed look.

>Prior to symbiotes Spideys worst threats were what...Osborn and Otto?
Also Jackal, Kingpin and Hobgoblin

I liked him in Carnage USA. Other than that I have no opinion on the character.

He's a fun character as long as he's not overused. (See: Maximum Carnage.)

Also, his GF is great, Shriek is like Harley Quinn if she were in a less stalkerish, more equitable relationship with the Joker. I kinda imagine her having the same thick Queens accent.

I want more Carnage-man in the future.

He's great when he's served his purpose of "what if venom was as edgy as he looks" but overtime when Brock got more brutal and Mcgargan pretty much was just as bad,I feel like he's lost his place and role

Also SIXIS carnage should've stuck a while

>spider-man snaps Gwen's neck but not a small infant
Explain this bullshit

Venom has special neck bracing webbing on account of it being part of the symbiote. Peter would have killed it.

what series is this?

What ever went down in Carnage's solo book. I heard something about the Darkhold? I remember Eddie being in it so I guess it's wrapped up.

Carnage got Chthon-enhanced, almost brought him into the world, but was stopped.

>Cletus surprisingly manages to avoid being too grating because he's an unabashed redneck. He's uncultured, rude, gross, racist and he doesn't care which makes him a breath of fresh air.

Mostly all true, but Kasady is from Brooklyn, his recent series re-established this after several years of people mistakenly writing him as a redneck.

Also, his only childhood friend was black. As Carnage he still tried to kill him, though.

I love him when he's used right, which is typically not in large amounts.

I always just find it hilarious how they somehow managed to take a villain like Venom and make a version of him that's somehow even more ridiculously extreme and edgy.

>Dear Lord!
Shut up Pete

>Being silly
Shut up user

Spider-Man meant to kill Gwen

Scared the shit out of me as a kid, as did Spider-Ock. For some reason Carnage is way scarier when hes's attached to someone who isn't Cletus Cassidy, which is weird because Cassidy is a fucking serial killer WITHOUT the suit.

Have you seen Spidey's rogue gallery?

He has, like, 3 amorphous elemental entity enemies

I honestly expected Carnage to duke it out with an Lovecraftian horror from beyond, ignoring any mind-shattering effects because fuck-you

Carnage didn't become an interesting character until Minimum Carnage and Carnage USA. Since then he's been a consistently enjoyable whenever he shows up. I think at this point Carnage is just proof that there aren't bad characters, only bad writers. Carnage was inundated with bad writing and stories that never took advantage of some of the nuanced ideas that could be used with a superpowered serial killer.

Writers since Minimum Carnage, who have gotten into more of the man behind the symbiote, have done a lot to flesh out Cletus and Carnage as a character. His ongoing did a lot of that too. I think Carnage as he stands to day is a more interesting character than Venom (Eddie Brock) ever was in his prime.

Edgy extreme 90s character done right. Maximum Carnage is still one of my favorite story lines and Cletus is basically an honorary slasher movie villain.