youtube.com/watch?v=m_VaA3dvCG8
youtube.com/watch?v=skGqd6JTJxE
youtube.com/watch?v=bmKaQqinWKY
youtube.com/watch?v=3131tUSlaFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1LNFlpO29QU
youtube.com/watch?v=S_YlIu-eJvU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No Ehasz.

She's basically Carol Danvers but dumber, less competent and with a different power set, and her team lacks the Chemistry and charm of the Gaang.

"OH NO, NOT MY BENDING, DON'T TAKE MY BENDING AWAY"

>Was only supposed to be a 1 season thing.
>Writers had to make it up as they went along
>2nd season started with major character regression because of it
>Seasons were shorter which left less time for character progression
>Love Triangles
Need I go on?

There was no coherent plan from the beginning, and the show as a whole lost focus because of that. The world, hell the new Team Avatar straight up never comes together in a coherent way because of how much time the characters spend running from one icontrived plot point setpiece to another.

A simple error, but fatal for this type of show.

Korra.

What went right has the much shorter answer

>The animation
>Tenzin
>Zaheer and his gang
That's it

>Korra's body.

I was counting that under animation

I feel like Mike and Bryan learned some terrible, terrible wrong lessons from ATLA. In particular, I feel like they started to pay way too much attention to the romances between characters. None of the romances in ATLA, even Kataang, had the dedicated plot time that the love quadrangle in Korra got. Romance was just sort of a thing that happened on the way to the main plot in ATLA. That was a good decision. Focusing on MaKorra/MAsami/Bokowhatthefuckever was a bad decision.

The OST had its moments too.

Didn't finish season 1 with Korra accepting her lack of bending and becoming a source of wisdom for future avatars.

the credits music always makes me feel very wistful
youtube.com/watch?v=6xW83hx4P7M
I wish this show was better

We all wish, user.

Too much hype behind it, with a smaller team than the original and a bad seasonal format == bad end.

What went right?
Characters:
>Tenzin
>Zaheer and friends except lava guy because he was just lava guy
>Metal hitler bitch was cool but her robot wasn't
Design
>Korra's body is the most fuckable cartoon body ever crafted
>Azami is top 15
Soundtrack
>Season one was 10/10
>Everythign else tried its best and failed

The rest is garbage.

They clearly didn't understand/care about their own IP, and seemed deadset on retroactively destroying much of what made AtLA unique and interesting by adding a bunch of bullshit retcons.

Budgets were also cut and scheduling for it was all wonky. But that has more to do with a terrible movie that came out before it that killed executive support from Nickelodeon thinking that another Avatar series would be a bomb.

>>Zaheer and friends except lava guy because he was just lava guy
He was worth it if only for his "I ain't going back to prison!" chimp out at the end of S3.

>killed off Avatar line.

Don't worry about Aang and Roku, you have a new strong womyn avatar, she's the only one you need to care about. Did we mention she's a person of colour?

I think it fell into the trap about being too preachy at certain points in the story. It should've stayed as a roaring 20s adventure but about-faced into something it was never meant to be

the giant robot was looking like a giant gundam or EVA, far too cleanly built, with an almost alien design sense

the giant train mounted cannon used for the prototype made a lot more sense for 1940s super science aesthethics

instead of a giant lean looking mech, a shorter, stouter mech, with tons of greebling and things like turrets, weapon posts, access hatches and railings would have looked more fitting

alternatively, taking inspiration from nazi superweapons like the 1000 ton Ratte tank, or any of the other land cruiser tanks would have fit in as well
it would make marginally more sense, and actually look like an extension of the equipment they already have

the mech also features segmented overlapping plates, rather than the riveted plates normally used, and features segmented joints rather than the ball and socket joints normally used
the giant panoramic glass cockpit is also jarring for the time period, use of slits, portholes, or periscopes might have looked more fitting

They're stupid teenagers.

True

I would like to add Varrick on that list.
Like seriously, he should had been the villain of season 2, not some random waterbender from the north pole.

How come at no point did anyone address why they have no non-benders on the council? Why wouldn't the majority be pissed off if they have no government representation? Amon had a good point (until he was a secret bender lol).

You're right, Varrick was pretty great.

This is what kills me. Amon had an amazing villain potential because he had a good fucking point. And they kinda wasted it by killing him.

People get so caught up in hating Korra that the fantastic OST gets swept under the rug.

youtube.com/watch?v=m_VaA3dvCG8
youtube.com/watch?v=skGqd6JTJxE

Not really? There are alot of things that i personally don't like, even consider garbage, but 9 times out of 10 no matter how bad something is, their music soundtracks tend to be the best part of it.

Nobody tends to go wrong with their music.

>Sup Forums still sperging about korra
Holy shit that show was completely fine. Sure, it had its flaws and wasn't as good as Avatar but was still better than 90% of the shit on TV.

>Holy shit that show was completely fine.
your opinion has been noted. we disagree with it though.

They didn't even need to regress anything at the end of the first season.

They could have had the series focus on her getting in touch with her spiritual side, repeating a bit of what they did in the first season with her having flashbacks of past Avatars' lives. Instead they kill off her connection to all others Avatars.

This. Same thing with Samurai Jack's S5. Pure autism right here.

A mini series that had everything well thought out which got greenlight to a full series where the writing was fast tracked and had to basically create plots out of their ass to make the show interesting, since they had no clue obviously where to go with the show outside of a mini series

Little to no input from the Martial Arts expert they hired in The Legend of Aang. Fights were lackluster until near the end of the seasons and very few of those fights made you go "Whoa." unlike the original series.

Pretty much everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=bmKaQqinWKY
youtube.com/watch?v=3131tUSlaFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1LNFlpO29QU
youtube.com/watch?v=S_YlIu-eJvU

Korra was a mary sue, the fans called it out so they physically crippled her rendering her useless and then magically made her ok again through some Naruto level storyline about frienship and shit.

The other problem was that it abandoned a lot of what made the first series so great, which was world building and lore. It got rid of a lot of what made the universe great by adding in needless rationale to why things are the way they are, and magically "fixing" problems in the universe (like having only few air benders left.) Everything that is a problem gets solved perfectly by a new solution that isn't brought up previously. It's not like how Aang slowly learns how to use the Avatar state or how Katara slowly becomes the greatest waterbender of all time. Things just happen and then we move on. There's no thought behind it.

Tumblr pandering for praise after their shitshow bombed

this

>The other problem was that it abandoned a lot of what made the first series so great, which was world building and lore.

This is why I feel like the show would have done better to have her connecting to her spiritual side to learn from her past lives. Would have given opportunities to tell lore and show off more of the world.

They could have kept the show's story on a smaller scale, having Korra focus on life within the one city, then have her experiencing challenges that lead her to need to become wiser to overcome them by learning from a past life.

It annoys me that the first season was done fairly well with her random connections to Aang and then they abandon the concept of her learning from glimpses into a past life and replaced it with full on flash back episodes like with the first Avatar episodes.

I've never understood this excuse.

>are given twelve episodes
>they know this from the beginning
>fail to write a competent series in twelve episodes
>"but we only had twelve episodes!!!!"

Nigger there have been shows twice the quality of Korra season 1 written in half the episodes. Fuck off with your fanboy logic.

No pit hair or leg hair on any of the dykes.

female protagonist.

they had to have a 'dark avatar' and also they had to give the avatar a lame origin story.

This. The thot was so married to her bending she used it to bully others while still acting like the good guy. It was because of people like her that Amon was right.

Avatar was never good to begin with.

first post, objectively best post

1. Korra wasn't animated with as much muscle as the concept pictures indicate.
2. Not enough fanservice
3. No beach episode which ties directly into my point 2

Besides that I can't think of anything.

the only redeeming quality of the show was its art direction. The writing was a pure shitshow and youre probably defending it like other fanboys on the ground that it has the avatar stamp of approval on it

Everything.
>Show's uncertainty about funding and how many seasons led to no overarching story.
>Team could have tried to make it connected, but instead tried to make one season stories which doesn't work as all the main cast has no growth as people.
>Art is awful for 90% of the show.
>They spend too much time in Republic City, the least interesting part of the whole avatar universe.
>They make things like lightning and metal bending normal, despite these being incredibly difficult and rare skills in the past.
>Korra is as interesting as a sack of wet rags.

People bitch about Korra, because each series is a mixture of fuckups and good ideas, with very little in between.

Fuckups include (season 4 in this case):
>Korra sends a letter to only Asami about her problems, despite them never being there for each other in the downtime between seasons
>This singular letter about near crippling symptoms of mercury poisoning, forms most of their later relationship, without ANY other buildup whatsoever
>Korra's PTSD turns out to be Raava fucking her over because she needed to accept she lost, and being unable to see her opponents kicking the shit out of her is the way to do that
>Kuvira built a giant mech, encased entirely in platinum, with no foreshadowing, or hints that the heroes were missing something, or any of her top scientists knowing about it
>Everything about the politics is stupid. Kuvira creating ethnic gulags, there being no inbetween for zaofu other than acting as uniting conquerors or doing nothing (hint, help the UN forces), Opal and her family criticising Bolin for joining Kuvira without warning him of her intentions despite the fact he's literally the right combination of innocent and well meaning to be tricked.
>Fire bending got nerfed. That train scene was pathetic
>I'm pretty sure Korra still hasn't mastered airbending
>Korra recieved the same character progression she's been recieving for the past three seasons

Great things however
>Mako and Bolin taking down the heart of the mech
>The soundtrack was FANTASTIC
>Removing the remaining mercury scenes
>The battles were great, even if their participants consistently jobbed
>Lavabending Bolin is pretty damn cool
>Flying drones are kinda cool I guess, but there was really nothing to stop Sato jumping off and jumping back on
>They finally left Republic city (for most of it, anyway)

>make things like lightning and metal bending normal, despite these being incredibly difficult

Signs of progress, sharing of knowledge.

Lightning was just plain difficult to do, and for it to be used in such a ridiculous way in Korra just seems silly.

Metal bending is alright to a degree, but the fact that they negate it with Platinum makes me angry. Metal benders should be gods in this world, but they just make them pointless.

>>Korra sends a letter to only Asami about her problems, despite them never being there for each other in the downtime between seasons

I mean some of your other points are good, but didn't Asami spend weeks with Korra taking care of her after she got crippled? And that was after spending most of the season together while the two brothers kept getting lost and captured

The plot of season 1 broke down PRECISELY where the team figured out that they were going to have more than one season, at which point they scrabbled to change a bunch of stuff.

It was a fucking retarded decision and the effects of those changes rippled through the entire show. For example, Asami being a thing beyond the first season was retarded, why was she even around? Her character was so shallow you'd forget she even existed until she said something.

>Kuvira built a giant mech, encased entirely in platinum, with no foreshadowing, or hints that the heroes were missing something, or any of her top scientists knowing about it
"Begin dismantling the domes"
What did you think that meant? You thought it was a political message?
Also it was mentioned they had been mining like crazy
I was theorizing already at the sixth episode that they were building a giant mech with the reaper laser, only difference is I was expecting something like the fucking spider out of Wild Wild West and not something out of Supreme Commander

Unalaq should've been a genuine teacher and friend to Korra who was simply too dedicated for her to match. Not a literal DARK AVATAR. They had things perfectly set up for him and Varrick to be enemies over the loss of spirituality in the Southern Water Tribe, using Korra and Bolin as proxies.

No in fact she didn't. Korra spent most of her time with Tenzins family as she always has. Asami just offered to go with korra for awhile when she left for home. An offer Korra declined outright.

Also the whole spending time thing such a weird thing to focus on. They were in the same location sure, but what did they do exactly? They barely did anything and Korra had more intimate interactions with both brothers in both seasons than she did with Asami. Even Asami had more meaningful interactions with Bolin in book 3 than she did with Korra.

They made a main character so fundamentally unlikeable that they had to turn her gay so people would not longer be allowed to criticize how shit she was.

I though they were building a spirit bomb. They would need big casings and we had seen the spirit batteries explode previously. We never really saw anything indicating giant mecha.

>We never really saw anything indicating giant mecha

Well it wouldn't really be a big reveal if we saw it beforehand, but when watching the shows I already thought by episode 6 that they were building something massive considering they were were taking down the Zaofu domes, which is a shit ton of platinum

I get that, but why think Mecha, it's not really fitting for the setting to have that kind and size of them. Also what use would it have?

Well they already had mechs, and like I stated, the size got a bit too much even for me, I was thinking something a bit less tall, like a giant tank or something

It was pretty good
just critical autists that hate it all day

Why is this thread still going?

The problem with the robot was severalfold, but one of the most grating was that it's design didn't fit the Earth Kingdom aesthetic at all. Here you have a culture built around blocky bulky shapes and you make a vegan Megatron. A robot turtle, an oversized mecha tank, a cannon with treads, anything would have worked better than that emaciated wreck.

Best parts of the show:
>Tenzin
>The Red Lotus
>Music
>Animation (when it wasn't Studio Pierrot's clusterfuck)
>First season as a microcosm (minus the ending, but they've never written a satisfying ending ever even back in TLA)
>Varrick (and Varrick/Bolin bromance)
>Based Bumi
>Use of Iroh as a Spirit World guide (but then of course they have him show up again and ruin all the meaning of the first scenes)

Shit parts:
>Writing for non-villains
>Pacing
>Regression of character development
>Awful messy flat romance
>Unalaq
>Dumb light vs dark eternal battle that suddenly everyone knew about after we learned about Wan
>Lack of any satisfying resolution to anything ever without the use of MAJOR asspulls

Am I missing anything?

>Am I missing anything?

>Everything about Wan episodes
>The spirits
>Korra knowing how to bend tree elements at age 4 with out training hard to learn them
>The killing of all the past Avatar lives
>Kuvira and her metal robot

feel free to add more.

>cool background setting that never gets used

The season 1 villain was actually sympathetic up until they shit the bed and made him another Bryke patented evil bender with daddy issues. Even then, his message was still impactful, as non-benders had no representation, and were seemingly oppressed enough to show up to his rallies in droves. Didn't bother with the rest of the series, but did any of this ever get addressed?

They never really talk about it again. They just mention that they had an election for some reason and elected Raiko who turns out to be a non-bender.

they misunderstood their targeted audience

TLA was about Ang overcoming external challenges, whereas LoK was about overcoming internal challenges. LoK is deeper than TLA, but TLA is better because it's more fun to watch. No one watches avatar for it's clever character building. This is why the most likable characters of LoK is Bumi as portrayed in the first season and Wan, because they're simple. Imo the best part of LoK was the legend of Wan.

They had a fascinating concept about the class/social differences in Republic City, had an interesting setting in this nation going through a transitional period of political turmoil, introduced interesting politics and even had terrorism/radical political groups as a side thing to delve into and chose to throw it all away to have magical monster fights, romance and family drama and convenient solutions to existential problems.

Pretty much, it had a lot going for it and was botched at nearly every turn. It could've been a form of media reflecting current events but became an average cartoon with a somewhat serialized plot.

>>Was only supposed to be a 1 season thing.
No, they were only given one initial season.
The same thing happened with AtLA and look how that turned out.

Fucking everything.

>Design
>>Korra's body is the most fuckable cartoon body ever crafted
>>Azami is top 15
Forgot all the MILFs.

The writing was bad from the beginning. Not the worst thing ever, but mediocre or maybe just dull is a better word. Especially the Season 1 love triangle bullshit.

It did get somewhat better at times in that there were better bits but never got good like the original.

As for what went wrong...how much of the problem was Bryke doing so much of the writing themselves? The first season was just them while Season 1 original Avatar had an actual writing team. Then there were a few other writers but very few. How much control did Bryke have on all the writing vs. the first season? Was it a George Lucas effect thing? Where them having too much say and being too hands on was a problem, maybe they were burnt out on ideas themselves?

I'll take 'What is thinking with your dick?' for 500.