Hey, has anyone here ever worked in a comic shop?

Hey, has anyone here ever worked in a comic shop?
I need a job (until September when i go to uni) and I wanted to know what comic shop jobs are like.

Pic unrelated

You work a register

You need to be knowledgeable about everything coming out

Engage with the customer politely and try to steer them into a conversation that can result in them trying something they haven't read before

usually you have to know the owner

You have to sell comic adjacent shit.

Don't expect to be there long if you have negative opinions about Funko Shit which they all sell too much of.

Worked a bit in a comic shop (not the one I go to) its a bit lax since i didnt have to bag, you need to add a dollar for the sleeve if you only want it covered. I guess the number one drawback are kids who are casual ( not that theres anything wrongn with being a casual) but they just stick around the store for minutes to hours asking shit and never buy, you also get those guys that only buy pops, the biggest haul i saw was a guy who bought all the CW pops and let me tell you this they get real pissy if its out of stock lastly are people who buy indie stuff ( we only have 1 stock of each issue) usually slimy people who throw a fit if its not there, also working in the store gave me my first experience with a brony, skelly mode guy, halatosis and the money wad he handed was wet with something but he buys them by the truck so you have to act polite. Overall its chill, you dont have to be knowledgeable of what comes out if your lcs has a system for that, packing and stocking inventory is the hardest part. Good luck op

You'd make more bagging groceries or at Starbucks. You won't make a livable wage.

Tbh I think I can do all of that. Just need to convince somewhere to hire me

I think the problem is that you only want to work for two months. Most places won't want to hire someone like that. If anything look for jobs around your university and start applying to them.

I worked at one for two months before quitting, they didn't pay me on time or at the agreed upon rate and kept trying to push me to sort and ship MtG cards at $10 per order (more than an hour of work). The fact that I was the only one selling things at a regular pace, interacting with customers effectively and answering questions for parents didn't matter to them. This is a worst case scenario, however, and likely wouldn't have happened if they sold new comics instead of back issues and hobby items as that requires stricter management and trust between the store and the regulars.

The place went under a few months later and I make more than my former boss now.

If you save pics like that you should be far away from comics shop and comics in general.

This. You should have tried as an after school job or at least before summer.

Don't be that guy, user. You can like practical suits and sexy suits at the same time.

Calm down. Judging by the names these are clearly just alternate outfits for special situations not SJW-type redesigns.

Most LCS have their summer people in place since summer is their make or break time
Most are small owner operated shops so if you aren't friends with the owner you won't get hired
Most LCS owners get asked on a daily basis for a job by a kid looking for after school or summer work.
If you like your hobby DO NOT WORK THERE you will start to hate the customers,the certain stereotype of comic fans and by proxy hate what they like ( I still hate Gaiman and Sandman as a result).

Also it is too late to look for summer work anywhere.

The very fact that you used "practical" proved my point. Go now.

Where do bronies get that cash money from?

>Implying I'm OP.
>Implying the suit on the right isn't more practical gear.
>Implying there's something wrong with acknowledging that the "more practical than leotards" aesthetic exists.

You can like classic Cap and Chinstrap Cap, West Batman and TDK Batman, classic Power Girl and Nu52 Power Girl (no idea why though, that design was hideous). It doesn't mean anything about you as a person. Get over yourself and stop acting like any appreciation of deviation means THE ENEMY is near.

It's easy to get a comic book shop job, just be a cute girl and you're pretty much an automatic hire.

It's a store job. It has sort of a niche market.

Keep everything clean, keep kids with food, particularly drinks out.

Keep things as organized as possible. Stock. Run the register.

Like in every sales job you need to know what you sell.

Perks:

You can read anything. At least I could.

You are the final answer in whatever petty argument is going on at the time. It's stupid and cool all at once. They can claim to have read online some post about an issue and you just show them the issue and tell them how much to buy it. But then people actually want you to settle shit like you're there for that.

Employee discount + being able to read anything for free = vast savings

Meet some cool people. The one I worked at had some model building and rpg stuff too. It could be a cool crowd.

Cons

Geeks. They're lonely and they think they can talk to you. It's not most customers, but shops get weirdos, the manga really seems to bring it out.

Kids. It'll make you think about getting fixed right away.

Cleaning the stupid sculpture and bust display.

People with orders. They can get demanding. Some assholes actually buy everything. Every title from the big two, image, whatever. Talking hundreds of comics set aside under one name. And they check. So it's about 10-20 minutes you gotta put aside once you see him coming. Every week. Many customers who pre-order want them bagged.

If you like comics it's great, its not a hard job at all.

Worked at the biggest Comic Shop chain in Houston. It was great, nice locarion, coworkers were cool and all had a different area of expertise (I covered figures and Xmen, we had a D.C. Guy, a girl who loved indie stuff, another mainline marvel guy, a TCG girl, and the manager. So we had our bases covered when it came to getting solid advice and understanding

But being passionate about stuff also means your opinions can come off strong. Got fired while volunteering at a Con because the owner of the chain didn't like that I was sort of out spoken when it came to our never ending display of blind box and Funko shit.

So it can be like playing nerdy politics

>Also it is too late to look for summer work
Currently part time in a CEX (as of yesterday) I just have morre free time and like comics is all

Despite what you may think, bronies arent just the weird basement dwelling spergs.
One of my best friends is a brony and he not only has a decent job (Su Chef at a major hotel chain) but smashes pussy constantly, which I dont get sometimes because Ive been in his room and it is fucking COVERED in my little pony shit. Statues, posters, weird trinkits from Bronycon, Its nuts. Hes got other stuff in there (DnD statues, a shit ton of books and board games) but the pony stuff is overwhelmingly present. Hes told me about the people hes met at bronycon. Sure theres the weird, bad hygiene autists but thats in every fandom. Alot of them are normal people. Doctors, cashiers,Office clerks, local politicians. It gave me new perspective on people, especially the politician. Fandom reaches all corners of humanity. ITs fucking crazy.

Why does she need armor?

>Writer: "Because something something Krytonian armor something Kryptonian biology something something honor"

>Artist: "What if i gave her armor? That shit would look badass."

I was kinda weirded out when I went to a convention last year and most of the brony contingent were actually soldiers in the Army.

Some Army division was having it's annual dinner at the same hotel, and the entire brony squad defected and went to hang out with the other military people instead of the other nerds.

I love how you waited more than half an hour to make sure you wouldn't get an answer to your retarded argument of "making kryptonian costumes practical".
Neck yourself.

>Not posting the best one.

>Responds four hours later.

It's actually because I don't monitor threads all day. If you actually have a response, please present it instead of insulting me arbitrarily.