/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #385

NEVER GIVE UP Edition

You know how this is. We come here to talk about webcomics. Prefeably the one you are making or want to make. Come for some references, critiques, we swear we are fun!

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
24hdelabandedessinee.com/spip.php?page=liste&lang=en
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

>thread can't stay alive even after repeated bumpings
>keep making them
why is this allowed? the three of you in here should just find a chatroom

We are all amerifats and we need to sleep please understand

this. I'm glad this thread popped up while I briefly woke up to briefly do work, but now that I have made 12 dollars I'm going back to bed

Where did challenge user go? I was looking forward to that.

How do you guys feel about magic versus technology in your comics? I'm currently working on a futuristic story, where the main character gets involved in an alien invasion, and has to help one of the aliens protect there homeworld from the enemy, but I want to slowly introduce some magical elements as well, could be ancient artifacts or stuff like wizard or mythical creatures. I'm just worried it might be kind of silly. Need to think up a good reason to introduce stuff like this.

He is probably sleeping, the challenge posts were made kinda late.

For the curious, here is some of the posts about the challenge (if we actually make it). Hope user comes back.

Does technology running off magic count?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Run with magitek. You can introduce magical elements and if you want to keep the story as being on the tech side more than the mystical one, you can find a way for the magic to be actually some really old and lost technology or just something some people managed to learn how to bend in our dimensional plane.

t. Hari Seldon

Depends.

Explain?

Asian here, maybe I'll try to bump if it I'm not busy.

Basically a country captures a God and uses their divine energy to kick them 1500 years ahead in technology overnight

bump

I would love to be able to bump this thread with something that adds to it. But sadly I have nothing to add. Well nothing with substance here is a test page I made.

Who wants a shitty doodle give me a character

Or even a whole page/scene I'm bored at work and all I got is paper, pens, and chicken scratches

Finally finished the resources needed for the color changes that will take place during animation both within the environment and the dupe model to sync with his general mood.

omg that looks amazing! I envy your skills.

Nice

That sounds like the best idea to go with, Thanks for the suggestion.

I have always enjoyed the conflict. I feel like typically what you get is a mutual super-effective situation, each taking the other totally by surprise and hitting it in a way it doesn't have much of a defense for.. magic has a slight edge in being more versatile and harder to defend against, but then tech has the edge in typically being more organized and adaptable. of course the combination is fantastic, but again, usually they adapt each other differently. a mage might posess a robot in the same way he would a statue, which is way more energy-inefficient than just learning how to pilot it and putting in what it runs on.. whereas you can figure out how to harness a given kind of magical energy with science and put it in a raygun, but you'll have an issue getting more of it

love your lines. stabbed girl definitely has a nicer looking face than half-burned girl, in terms of shapes and proportion. Being burned might play into it, but it didn't flatten her face, right?

Are you still with a mighty need?

Just as long as it doesn't turn into "MAGIC GOOD, TECHNOLOGY BAD" then it's fine with me.

I personally dislike when the conflict between them is too extreme. Kinda like what Harry Potter and the Nasuverse suffer, with "oh we are magic and we don't use technology because magic needs medieval era standards" or similar. Why wouldn't you still go with magic while also developing better tech? Brandon Sanderson makes a nice mix of this in Wax and Wayne actually.

so completely agree. yet at the same time, it's clear why one would stop bothering with the other. We have a natural tendency to become complacent once we have something that works. we leave it in place, even if over time it becomes a black box.

Maybe tomorrow, whatcha got

I'm still working on my comic -sketching some pages as of now on paper because I want to try something on style- and asking for a scene would be way too much since I got no real canon, so I was just going to give this guy as a guinea pig for anything you wanted to try. He is blind so you can joke with that.

had to redraw a couple sections for the sake of momentum and perspective. I think that patience is paying off.

I'm jealous

In my stories, there are technological god-like beings that work similarly to the Geth

I want your patience

So Reapers?

its okay to feel like an idiot for not getting things right all the time. actually after a while you kind of build up immunity to your self loathing.

so hang in there, you can do it. have faith and keep pushing.

Problem is I can't draw.

You are a treasure user.

>Do it for user

sure you can.you have to find a reason other than to "git gud" to keep going.

I keep pushing my comic "Kinematic" hard because I've got loved ones with blindness, they need a voice out there and I find that motivates me to keep at it.

so keep it going user. the dream is there. you just have to find your fuel.

That's really sweet user. I mean it.

Do you already have the comic published or is in process?

I was digging around old project files today, and I came across this. This is basically my favorite kind of thing to draw, i guess, some sort of action sequence where Rococo is being heroic. Its too bad I can't just draw this part of a comic, I have a lot trouble getting through a build up, or construction a compelling narrative around such things.

Have you started work on your comic?

I forgot to attach images...

not at the moment.
I've been crafting the world carefully during 3 years. this story is based out of personal experiences.

in it I want to talk about personal self worth and learning to adapt to an ever changing society in the brink of a robotic revolution.

mainly, I've been developing the characters the most, at this point in time they are well defined and can play on one another to get the story going. I just need to execute the story to get the ball rolling.

I have 3 drafts of the first chapter, but each time I complete them and let them be for a bit I learn more about my characters and I end up changing it. but that's fine. its good practice.

That's good.

All I could ever do was get 1147 pages of writing done.

I meant to post this one first. I am sleep deprived...

That's pretty fantastic. Fighting scenes are difficult to do so well. So the one girl is some kind of magical girl robot?

>1147 pages of writing

Oh shit. That's a typo. I meant 147 pages.

I miss talking to my characters. they don't come to me much anymore. then again I'm also rarely out in bored places where I'd draw them to have a chat.

...But now we can't be impressed by 147 pages... We know you are capable of more. Your full potential is 1000 pages more.

You can do it! We all have faith in you.

She is not a robot, but her left hand is a mechanical prosthetic and can get a burst of power from her stored magic in bullet cartridge-like implements.

My mistake. Her eyes at least as certain points were also black, I thought the two meant she was a robot or android.

Currently working on a setting with proper world-building for once, and starting with the principle that any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology. A relatively standard medieval fantasy world, but wizards have developed a way to transmit information along ley lines, which is easier and more cost effective than regular spells. Structures that look like mobile phone masts are being built in towns along ley lines, and especially where the ley lines cross. They're essentially going from the printing press direct to the internet.
Most of the developments like this are coming out of a city filled with wizards and mad inventors, so it's basically an excuse to have fun dropping in anachronistic tech, like motorbikes and smartphones (which are magical devices, powered by the ley lines).

>ley line phone lines
how the fuck did I never think of this. nice.

Nah, just the idea that, the more that are together, the better they can perform. A single one is still capable of God like abilities but get a few together and they could create whole other deminsions and shit

Too bad user, now you have to write the other 1000

>Finally start to work on getting my webcomic done SOON™
>Get a call for a job interview which is kind of the final step in actually getting the job since this is the third one I get.
>If everything goes well for my wallet that means less time for webcomic investment.

Is a schedule of one page per week good enough if my webcomic is going to be of the gag-a-day kind more than an actual lineal plot? I may not get much time to throw more than that if I don't fuck up in the interview.

Pan's gonna be fucking mad as he's bad as fuck at drawing interresting stuff. I love it!

it's not an ideal situation, but it's something you can probably manage. Sounds like the best compromise

I'm working steadily on my comic and I'm wondering how to go about releasing it.
>Page a week is a good way of consistently putting out content
>Can potentially harm the perceived pacing of your comic, imagine waiting a week for one action page that takes 5 seconds to read
>Releasing entire chapters when complete gives a more complete release
>Bigger uptaking in workload and inconsistent release times.

What do? It's an action comedy.

>have 1 or 2 chapters of backlog
>update weekly
>"Special 3 page update next week!"
>go back to updating weekly

release it as often as you can.

i'm back with some stuff. I tried to put a mood on this page, using a sequence of establishing shots, but i don't know if it works well. I read a load of slice of life mangas that aren't about "who's best girl?" but some stuff that rely heavily on atmosphere, I kinda dig that kind of stuff. I want to emulate it in some way, but fuck. It's not easy.

simplify the art? I don't know I never saw your art, but if you don't work full time on it, one page a week is pretty hard to do, except if art is exceptional, or if it's a fun thing to come back to. Look at Whomp comic: 3 pages a week because it must take ronnie like 2-3 hours max on a page.

I'm back! I made this template quickly but I was wondering what changes should we do?

whoops made it too big

i'm ok with it.

This looks real fine, unless someone has something to say on it I think it's good to start with, choosing a theme and all.

I'm so glad you're still posting!
I understand what you mean, so I think the fourth panel should stretch end-to-end. The fifth panel can then be moved to the third row, and end with Ophelea (that was her name right?) opening the door. This creates some tension you know, start the next page with that reveal.

welp. You're a real help here, man can't thank you enough for all the help you provide!
Gonna save this page and rework mine as soon as i get up tomorrow!

You wouldn't leave the open tin can right beside the cat. It's dangerous.

Dropping yourself on the ed like that, with tits that big should be quite painful for her.

The next frame she's in a completely different position, and it looks like she's about to fall off of it.

When did she lit that cigarette?

ok so let's see how many people are willing to participate on the first challenge, if it works maybe we can make more, if it doesn't we'll leave it here
also suggest some themes and we'll vote!

Lol, guy in last panel looks like Rusty Venture

Let's do it. I'd actually commit to something like this and it seems like a fun exercise.

I think themes should be something really generic and easily interpreted in a number of ways, such as "discovery" or "turnabout" or "concealment"

I'm up for it.

My mom owns a cat. He doesn't play with tins usually, he's pretty stupid. As for the position, cigarette lightning, I didn't want to show everything: ellipses, man. you see fall in the bed, next panel, she's doing something else, you can fill what's happening,no?

I had the same impression when I drew him haha.

Maybe not, in france, we have an event called "les 24 heures de la BD" (24h of comic) Where you have to draw 24 pages in 24h. The themes are really specific, which creates some interresting stuff.
24hdelabandedessinee.com/spip.php?page=liste&lang=en

Don't mind the Bs about "open tins". Have her sit up on the bed while she lights a cigerette. You don't really need to see the motions of her getting one, but like he said, that cigerette just comes out of nowhere

No problem! And take your time, comics should be a fun thing.

I guess you're right about the tin can, but it helps break up the negative space. I suppose this panel can be replaced with one where she lights a cigarette.
Between panels 3 and 4, I can somewhat forgive omitting a panel depicting her change in position just to keep up with the pacing.
I think to really establish a mood like "It's been a long day" or to make a mood piece, it'd need something like 2 pages. But I think it's okay like this too, there just needs to be careful attention to the middle panel.

perhaps, I'm just thinking about the disparate kinds of comics in here. Plus, creative interpretations of such a vague theme might be part of the challenge

Sign me in.
As for themes, I would say to keep them simple but maybe not too much? Maybe I'm only talking for myself here, but I find that very open themes can cause an ironic effect of not knowing what to do with it.

Maybe something like what suggested.

I suggest some themes, please don't bully I'm trying my best on ideas

>Castaway IN SPACE
>Supervillain and superhero in love
>Aliens on the wild west
>Robot pilots a mecha

we could try both since a vague theme would make really different comics and a really specific one could be different approaches, for this one I'd vote for an specific one
my vote goes for aliens on the wild west!
also it could take a serious or funny approach

With only a 3 page limit though it would be easier if themes were more open ended like suggested

I propose we provide a list of genre's, like 3-5 along with the theme. So say one week, you get to pick a genre from the list and then you have to use the theme of the week in that genre. And the list could change every week. One week could be: SoL, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Noir, Romance. Next time could be completely different list and even include sub-genres and mix-genres

WIP Page 6. Not too happy with the pose. Meant to have one of my friends to help, just not fond of the legs. Haven't done gesture/life drawing sessions in a while so I should refresh myself with that..

Not sure where to put the logo, like across on the bottom or like a square towards the bottom left corner.. Always hated messing with text stuff in comics.

How about we have three themes per challenge, and we roll for the theme? Evens, odds, zero - we'd reply to the challenge post. Or mix it up, with the last two numbers - genre + theme.

As for a themes:
>wound

Rolling seems like a nice quirk to the challenge.

Your getting better , don't give up on useing those point perspective! There making everything look nice and clean. Keep it up

Left arm needs a bit more of work but for that I think it may be enough to just check on the mirror if you have any doubts on it.

As for the logo, try both options and see which one looks better for you.

Left arm as in his left or the one extended?

I think it's funny how when it comes to this activity, we all have a ton of ideas. If only comic making was so easy, am I right?

yesyes, so far we have
>Castaway IN SPACE
>Supervillain and superhero in love
>Aliens on the wild west
>Robot pilots a mecha
>wound
>discovery
>tournabout
>concealment

His left one. The extended one looks fine to me, in fact the whole pose looks fine, is only the left arm that is still not too detailed what looks weird, mostly because perspective is a bitch on those angles.

everything it's easier if it's fun! this will help us all

It's the idea guy dilemma all over again!

Ok, it is still rough, but I was just wanting to see how his pose looks in general.

His left is suppose to be fixing his tie.

This challenge system would help us out. It's making a good exercise for us and we don't have to feel bad about being too shitty at it if all of us pitch in. I'm really not too worried about winning these and I just want to focus on having fun

Is this "white guy" the comic? Is there gonna be a joke about his credit? And his powers involve light? what's your opinion on black people and trump?

My lawyer says I don't have to answer these questions.