JSA Storytime: Mr. X

Good evening owls,

No more Bros, but still Mr. X

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/straczynski/status/760965082876514304
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I haven't read Mage yet, NO SPOIL

oh fug I forgot that came out today

I did skim Dark Days The Casting but that thread is unusable, did they retcon Carter and Shiera to be part of the Challengers of the Unknown?

So DC's event is looking not too good to me but if others end up liking it then alrighty

I haven't read anything, I left the house early and got home not too long ago

I might have to cut out to go buy a dishwasher, advance warning (if I do I'll come back and finish, promise)

FUCKING
META
L
HUMANS
I was actually really enjoying it up until that

My LCS didn't have the new Mage trades and I think imma have to digital it.

They founded/funded them

Also Hal Jordan had a GREAT moment in it. It's wild to me how fun to read that comic is.

Also haven't read anything else today...

So I did miss where on Twitter Robinson said straight up he's back at DC and left Marvel

it really IS the Didio Apology Tour

bold move so we'll see how it works out

Hello, Storyteller.

Outlaws was good, hit me right in the heartstrings.

But holy fucking shit, where to even goddamn start with Dark Metal. I fucking told you events at this stage was a bad idea. Well now look what fucking happened!

>Wtf Cranky, you're just being a hater. Why do you hate fun?
Yeah, if you'll excuse me, I'll just be over here, being right.

>Also Hal Jordan had a GREAT moment in it. It's wild to me how fun to read that comic is.
Yeah I was rolling my eyes a little at the Joker stuff but then Hal's moment with the batplane was great

>They founded/funded them
Ah, makes sense. I'm guessing they funded the Blackhawks too then?

I think it's pretty cool that an event prelude was narrated via Hawkman's journal

I think Snyder would write a pretty good Hawkman now.

Which is fucking weird to say

whoa, link?

>So I did miss where on Twitter Robinson said straight up he's back at DC and left Marvel
Meh.

Robinson is inoffensive at best but he still was one of marvel's better writers.

Kinda hoping he gets JSA because inoffesnive is probably the best we'll get for that book.

it was pasted in the Cable thread

Goddammit, a fucking comic with Doop and Longshot and it's going to be unreadable because Malin

It's not too weird.

The dude is a pretty good writer who does meh to poorly wrapped up endings when he's not trying to create the BIGGEST BATMAN STORY E V E R

I'm very much 'judgement reserved' on current Robinson but it's interesting in and of itself

I wonder if he has a "no Eddie" clause

Keep thinking that's Shade's coat

man, this is talky all of a sudden

Mr. X goes through many hands, a bit like Matt Wagner's Grendel

I only read NSM today.

GL Earth One sounds interesting though

I've got a feeling Didio/Johns had to of either have offered him JSA or letting him continue E2(god I wish) to get him to return

Malin on Cable is hilarious, keeping the 90s thing!!

I'm so mad the New New Mutants aren't New characters and also where are my beautiful X-babies

I read a little of American Vampire. His weird history stories are good.

especially since his first arc is basically Johns filler shit

I'm still mad at the BC dude who was all "But Bagley was 90s art!!!" ignoring the total difference between him and Liefeld

It also makes you wonder about Marvel conditions. When Robinson jumped, DC was near its lowest point and Marvel was high. Now...

Mage's interlude is probably the best interlude yet.
No spoilers, but the others didn't quite have the outright prologue energy of this one.

...well, fuck

I was cautious about GL Earth One when they said "scientist" but as an astronaut?

Well, that's a pretty bold thing - and that's Hal.

Has the GL EO wank gotten to "Why is it not John Stewart" yet? I mean, it has to have.

>My LCS didn't have the new Mage trades and I think imma have to digital it.

Damn, that sucks.
Wondered how they turned out since it seems like Image isn't going to reprint the phonebooks

I really like the solicit for GLE1

Astronaut Hal makes a ridiculous amount of sense

I know New Frontier touched on it but I'm surprised he's never been updated to straight up astronaut before

Yeah the only thing I don't love is that they suggest that he won't be hotheaded still, but I'll give it a chance. Can't be any worse than the rest of the line.

Dude, he's very, very, very deliberately named Eichmann. They know what that brings to mind.

I'm waiting on "It should star John because he's the only GL that matters" and "Hal can't be the only GL, torchbearer is Kyle's shtick" wank but I haven't gone looking for any yet

maybe people are finally starting to admit that John fucking sucks?

Same here.
Really looking forward to seeing if the team really delves into why it's such a good re-envisioning.

Yeah, him not being hotheaded is a bit of a shame - but that's why E0's got Batman

I *want* to read a fresh take on John that actually does something good with him. "he is a perfect cinnamon roll and copy JLU" is not going to do that.

I became even less of a fan of the JLU version when I remembered they gave some Hath-Set attributes to him in the "other" Hawkman episode.

>Hal Jordan is a smart, capable person with a space and science background
>in the same universe as hothead, dive right in Bruce
I'm stupidly excited for the eventual JLE0 if Bruce hasn't fully matured by then

I hope TT is retconned though because that book was a mess

As long as DCAUfags exist, nobody will ever admit that

I'm thinking that at least we have Green Lanterns now so there's more room to criticize what has been done with John without people immediately rushing to the idea that he's ~important~ because of diversity and should be used because of it.

alas

Yeah, and I also wonder if they'll try to do something different with Barry as well.

Like make him a regular police officer or something.

I partially blame the DCAU for Wondy's perception as a grouchy asshole. People will not let that shit go, or admit that the shows themselves had some serious flaws.

I like when they actually write the article

I'm sure comic Johnfags have.
But the news hasn't reached the general public (or ever will desu) who will be confused by him not being black.

I KNOW Kylefags have been asking that though. Some are annoyed he's taking Kyle's shtick for the book.

Okay, I actually do have to go buy a dishwasher

I promise I'll finish this storytime whenever I get back. Promise.

They imply he might not be as hotheaded but he's still described as somebody more adventurous and thrillseeker, which is a good angle too I think

Walter, Santos, Pierre and now Michael?
Just how many names does this weirdo have?

Honestly, fuck the human GLs, all of them.

There's a ton of way more interesting alien lanterns out there who are being ignored, and it's fucking sickening.

Shilling Invisible Republic for a moment

The book is pretty damn good and apparently the creative team has done other good stuff, so I'm hopeful that GLEO will be at least okay. But I know Halfags will be like Batfags and be mad he's not 100% the same as he is in normal canon

Oh definitely.
The whole astronaut angle breathes that.

I'm a big Halfag and the description sounds good to me so far!

I am curious about the creative team though, I will check out Invisible Republic

I'm a big Flash nut, so I'm just glad JMS quit comics.

Ditto.

JMS apparently has one last comic project to do so I"m hoping it's just Superman vol 4 so they can give it an ending and bury that poor thing.
twitter.com/straczynski/status/760965082876514304

Halfags just want him to look sufficiently slutty

What was Sup Forumss reaction to Duke having powers in Metal btw

That also annoys me bc I feel you CAN do a defense of that art style

Sup Forums hated Duke before and they hate him now

BROTHER

Where are those Morrison Flash things...

Hey, Diana had non-grouchy episodes like Maid of Honor and To Another Shore. Anyway, all perma-grouchy Diana derives from writers who have never read a Wonder Woman run and have only read Kingdom Come.

The DCAU portrayal that bothers me the most is Wally tbqh, but I know I'm spoiled as fuck anyway as a Wallyfag so it's dumb to complain.

Most people just rolled their eyes hard.

Me, I'm way more concerned about Batman's respawn point that he fucking built, and that people are excising because it's been around for a while, as if precident somehow makes a stupid idea any less fucking stupid.

And with the way it apparently works, I can't help but imagine there's a room in the batcave dedicated solely to the manufacture of ready-made Bruce Wayne clones. All in stasis and awaiting data upload and deployment on a fucking conveyer belt. Come the fuck ON!

You actually are right, The Casting was fucking garbage.
>DURRR METAL HUMANS

>where are my beautiful X-babies
Aren't most of the accounted for after that lastest Blue issue?

Go back to Sup Forums

>metahumans
>metalhumans

Snyder is such a tryhard lol

here's the (You) for you, sir

N(in)th Metal

Fuck off, neo-Nazi filth. Go back to your containment board.

>nth represents an unspecified member of a series of numbers or enumerated items.
>"No, no, it's actually the ninth."

well now I'm just not going to read this

Metal is what happens when someone who isn't smart at all tries to be clever, which is a problem that Snyder keeps having. Guy should just stick to his pulpy horror and crime stuff.

Seriously, this is some next level stupid shit. I think Snyder may either be trolling or legitimately insane.

So what's the over under on the quality of those tie-in issues? Sounds like it'd be hard to fuck up the idea of each Leaguer fighting a Batman/themselves themed mini-boss, but given what we've seen so far, I doubt this will be anything but yet more stupid bullshit.

It's also a problem Bendis keeps running into. Dude is just not a versatile writer at all, he's just an urban/crime writer, and a pretty mediocre one at that. Every time he steps out of his comfort zone, it shows, and badly.

Has anyone here read Torso? I wonder if it good because it is based on real material.

The creative teams are pretty underwhelming so I have like zero faith in this event. Not having Johns write an event for once was a good idea, it's just a shame the job couldn't go to someone more qualified for it.

Snyder is possibly the only guy at DC who actually sells due to his name other than Johns or Lee (maybe Hitch? idk if he is still a draw) so it makes sense.

but user, Hal is Jewish

Think it was originally "Ninth Metal" and became Nth Metal.

Could be talking out of my ass, though. Haven't read Old school Hawkman in years.

That's the one he cowrote with Andreyko right? I've heard it's really good

Events sell regardless of who's writing them, just put "This series will change the DC/Marvel universe FOREVER!!" in the tagline, a popular artist, and you've got yourself a summer gangbuster. Remember, the kind of people who buy events are characterfags.
The reason Secret Empire doesn't sell as well is because people are actively boycotting it thanks to Spencer's reputation.

t. capenigger

It was ninth on Earth Two, nth on Earth One.

Yep. Looking at the wiki, it seems like David Fincher was supposed to direct it years ago, but dropped out.
Looks like Paul Greengrass is directing a movie about Eliot Ness, and will be using it as a source.
Bendis was quoted as saying:
>It’s a cool true story that very little people know of. You think you know the story of Elliot Ness? You don't. You know the story of serial killers? You don't. And that’s how I kept the faith.

Axis did comparably bad as Secret Empire though event fatigue may have played a part since Marvel had run Original Sin just months prior. They just had to learn the hard way.

Convergence was a pretty big flop

>"X is the only thing that sells."
Anyone else think that maybe, just maybe there's a bit of a systemic problem when that assertion is commonly believed to be true?

But I don't even know why I bother to bring it up. Nobody ever listens when someone points out that putting all your promotional effort into the guaranteed sellers is backwards whoreshit, that shoving big names into absolutely everything does not get people to read the lesser known stuff, and especially not when anyone suggests that maybe the Big Two should stop publishing superhero titles exclusively when there appears to be no real evidence to their assertion that cape books are the only books that people buy.

Goddamn, this industry is fucked.

Bait work, cranky cranked.

Yeah, I guess event fatigue is another factor. A factor that shouldn't affect DC, at least not too badly.

Convergence had zero build up since they came up with it so they had something to publish while moving to Cali. It also involved a bunch of parallel Earths instead of the main "canon" one, so of course people didn't give to shits about it.

>events sell regardless unless they don't

well that took entirely too fucking long

I feel like you're bad at contextualizing things. They can't gamble on an event like that because they need the guaranteed sales to support other things.

And Gerard Way is obviously the biggest name at DC right now and his books probably get the best promotion but I don't expect them to sell a ton even in bookstores. Just the reality of the demand of the market.

Honestly, is Convergence even an event? It didn't do jackshit other than bring a few characters to Earth 0.
>but muh infinite multiverse
That will never be referenced again.