What the hell happened to her character in TAS?

What the hell happened to her character in TAS?

She was basically a stand-in for Gwen Stacy, hence the Goblin dropping her off the bridge. And her aunt was turned into an absolute turbo-cunt who sicked the Punisher on Peter Parker. Literally worse than the Jackal. Felicia Hardy by comparison was basically an OC version of Liz Allen who was also super rich, the real Liz Allen was a bit part character who had a grand total of five minutes screen time. The only Gwen Stacy who actually showed up in an alternate dimension was closer to regular Mary Jane than the one in the show.

>her aunt was turned into an absolute turbo-cunt who sicked the Punisher on Peter Parker

dafuq? I don't remember this.

Also, last I remember she got pulled into some alternate dimension, got replaced by a clone who Parker marries but then she dies, and that's like the end of it.

>Hobgoblin came before the Green Goblin
>Electro was The Red Skull's son
>Carnage became Dormammu's "essence" stealing servant
>Doc Ock had a thick german accent and Ahnold's body
>also all of this shit
What the fuck was up with this show?

Feels like a show trying its best while being dealt a terrible hand, but some stuff is still indefensible.

>Hobgoblin came before the Green Goblin

A screw up with the toys. Green was gonna be first, but oops they made Hob instead. The show had to go with it.

>Electro was The Red Skull's son

Electro was originally banned until the show was almost over. Maybe it was too late to do him justice normally?

>Carnage became Dormammu's "essence" stealing servant

Can't slaughter people on a show where punches aren't allowed and Spidey can't land on pigeons.

And it was AWESOME.

>>Hobgoblin came before the Green Goblin

I actually really like that. The way the show set it up was a neat spin on the characters. Plus, since we had Norman for such a long time before his transformation, and since he wasn't constantly an antagonist, when he actually became Goblin, it felt more...powerful I guess? That he went insane?

Electro and Chameleon being related to Red Skull and bringing him back as the end game was kinda fucking stupid.

I also hated the Hydro Man stuff

>I also hated the Hydro Man stuff

Sandman was off limits, just like Electro. Hydroman was the next best thing.

thats not the point. the point is that the MJ stalking shit and later the water clones shit was garbage

if they had used sandman, but told the exact same story, it still would have been garbage.

plot was the problem, not character

See, they couldn't kill her, so they just dropped her into an alternate dimension where she will be falling for all eternity.

Anna Watson went from May's nice best friend to the dick-shrivelingist old bitch I've ever seen. Every single line of dialogue is her insulting Peter, either to MJ who tells her to shut the fuck up or Aunt May, who puts up with it for no reason. After what you described happened she had Peter arrested for MJ's disappearance/murder (which he was partially responsible for to be fair), and he actually explodes at her for insinuating he murdered the love of his life. After the cops let him off as innocent she coincidentally ran into the Punisher and told him he murdered her niece. You can guess where things went from there.

Nah, she just wound up in Victorian London, where Carnage was Jack the Ripper (in a show this censored, why in the world did they think they could get away with THAT?!?).

>Also, last I remember she got pulled into some alternate dimension, got replaced by a clone who Parker marries but then she dies, and that's like the end of it.
Man that fucked me up something fierce as a kid. You just know they wrote it that way because it isn't as graphic as gwen's *snap*

>an alternate dimension where she will be falling for all eternity.

AAAAAAAAAAAH!
cool
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Jack the Ripper was all the rage in the 80's and 90's

>WARREN! WARREN WHERE THE BLAZES ARE YOU?!?!

Props to Chris for that scene, though. Especially the scream.

>A screw up with the toys. Green was gonna be first, but oops they made Hob instead. The show had to go with it.

It kind of works in context, Osborn creates the Hobgoblin to stop Fisk from taking over his company, a later accident changes the formula and exposes him to it, creating the Green Goblin. And in Untold Tales of Spider-Man he did create a supervillain to test his Goblin technology even after he got his powers.

>and Spidey can't land on pigeons.
Why would he ever do that?

Anywho, this show firmly cemented Kingpin as the villain behind the scenes for Spidey. I never quite liked Osborn in that role compared to Fisk

she got thrown into the next dimension and replaced with a water clone

>Felicia Hardy by comparison was basically an OC version of Liz Allen

did they base her looks off proto-Gwen?

They had a bunch of weird rules on this show. He can't land on pigeons. He can't punch anyone. He can't be thrown through a window. Don't use the word 'Sinister'. And no vampires or blood.

I don't know why Semper insist he wasn't limited by censorship. The show felt so neutered, it hurt.

The series ended with Spider-Man saving the world with the help of other Spider-Men. As a reward for saving all dimensions Madame Webb tells Peter she's going to use her powers to take him where Mary Jeanne is so he can too have a happy ending. Last scene of the show is them moving forward through the dimensional tunnel out to find MJ.

>blonde
>popular
>dating Flash Thompson
>criminal relative; her cat burglar dad instead of Molten Man

Seems closer to Liz than Gwen to me. And then she got fucking muscle growth superpowers that changed her hair color from the Captain America supersoldier formula. And then she fell in love with Morbius the Vampire. This version of Felicia is weird.

>given the rule they can't have vampires or blood
>have Morbius the LIVING vampire that's specifically looking for PLASMA show up and be hunted by Blade
the absolute madmen

>And no vampires or blood.

Why even bother introducing Morbius and Blade in the first place if they couldn't do either of those things?

And the "Sinister" rule makes no sense either.

X-Men was allowed to have a Mr Sinister. Both shows aired on the same network. And calling your team the "Insidious Six" doesn't make it any "less" offensive (if you can call sinister that) Both words sound similar and mean the same thing

See, I get that she was a stand-in for Gwen in a time when Fox wouldn't allow deaths or explicit violence on the show, but why the water clone bit? That's more "Warren being a dick," stuff from Gwen's narrative, but shit. So weird.

Having fucking mouths on your hands that suck out plasma is way creepier than regular vampires.

Suction hands still freak me out more than traditional vampire-bites

Every change itt was creepier than the comics. The madmen.

Thrown into a portal and transported to Victorian England with Carnage as Jack the Ripper.

If any actual, straight-up horror story ever featured vampires using their shape-shifting abilities to leech the blood out of their victims through the palms of their hand by forming sharp little suction cups to latch onto living skin, it would be classified as pure body horror kino.

Seasons ranking, go!

Season 3 > Season 1 > Season 2 > Season 4 > Season 5

Top 5 episodes

5. Hobgoblin 2 parter
4. Alien Costume 3 parter
3. Turning Point
2. Goblin War
1. Make a Wish

That's a pretty solid list, but:
>1. Make a Wish

I feel like that would have been a much better episode without the Dr. Octopus plot. I mean it's great that they were able to adapt the story at all, but it's really not as strong as it should be.

>that pic
I forgot all about that "Super Battle Glider" bullshit. Did they even make a toy out of it to justify that ridiculous idea?

that at least was probably based on the fact that one of the pre-Rami attempts at a Spider-Man movie was going to have Arnold play Doc-Ock

okay I can understand why they couldn't use Electro, but I can't think of any good reason why they couldn't use Sandman

man I had forgotten about how often they pulled out the "character gets lost in a dimensional rift" bit, heck that pic is missing a couple others from my recollection

He was already in an episode of X-Men (which I guess they were going to retcon if that and Spider-Man were in the same universe?)

Seems like this thread is the proper place to ask. Anyone know the name of the EP where spider Man stays with the Cancer girl for a day?

Make a Wish and Attack of The Octobot.

Thanks user.

They did and I had it.

It was fucking incredible. You can line up the regular hobgoblin or green goblin gliders with it. The middle actually has a handle and trigger to shoot bombs out of the center. I loved it.

>I actually really like that.

Yeah me too, it made for a more dramatic effect when we actually saw the real/true Green Goblin come into play.

There was also the story where she got engaged to a guy, then found out he was the Hobgoblin.

Jesus fuck, it's astounding how many people just get Mary Jane wrong.

Is Spectacular really the only non-comics media that really understood MJ?

Yep. How do you explain why so many casuals prefer Gwen over MJ, citing the latter as "boring damsel in distress."

Well for carnage it was because they couldnt kill people in the show, hence why MJ wasnt killed by the goblin but sent to an alternate time or whatever with no way of returning. But not dead.

>MJ wasnt killed by the goblin but sent to an alternate time or whatever with no way of returning.

In some ways that's worse. Its like these censors don't pay attention.

>MJ's aunt being a cunt

That always really annoyed me. There was literally no reason for that change. It didn't even make sense for May to be her friend.

That show did some buttfuck stupid things, like Carnage being linked to Dormammu and Electro being a Nazi.

Don't forget talking baby Silvermane.

I've never really read the Spider-Man comics as much as a kid but remember the show having a character named "the spot" and I always thought he was specifically made for that show until he was actually featured in a comic. He's more of a funny guy than a serious threat.

Also is TAS Spider-man's VA the same one that voices Spider-man in the 2000 PS1 game or is it that one funky spider-man cartoon where he's in the future and venom and carnage look like skeletons?

read here , Peter saved her off-screen in the final.

Problem was they ended it before spiderman saved may and pissed of everyone who watched it for decades

What stupid executive thought censorship like this was good when BTAS had murder, torture and Batman punching the shit out of people

Eh xmen did the same shit but people love it

>replace kitty with Jubes
>do days of future past but bishop is kitty
>fucking cable
>god damn jubilee's fairytale theater

How many kids could even pronounce "Insidious" anyway?

Why even introduce Carnage in the first place then? Popularity's one thing, but you can't properly introduce a character like Carnage in a show so up its ass with censors.

It is like a less talented version of Batman TAS fucking with the censors

Carnage should have just been depicted scaring people away and cutting stuff up with his knife-hands rather than faking fake deaths with magic massages that don't count.
And HOLY HANDGRENADE, was the Spiderverse concept created in that damned dumb cartoon???

Grip in hell, handfag.

>Ahnold's body
everyone was buff as fuck which really confused me, because peter was supposed to be a nerd and a target of bullying but he had the same sculpted hunky bod as everyone else

Good thing SSM fixed this.

Yeah, that was Rino Romano. And Spider-Man Unlimited wasn't in the future, it was set on Counter Earth.

I dont think carnage has ever been done right on any show.

TSSM could've handled him well since Weissman has gotten away with a lot of dark shit in his childrens cartoons.

>>>Hobgoblin came before the Green Goblin
>
>I actually really like that. The way the show set it up was a neat spin on the characters. Plus, since we had Norman for such a long time before his transformation, and since he wasn't constantly an antagonist, when he actually became Goblin, it felt more...powerful I guess? That he went insane?

I liked it too but I'm biased towards Hobgoblin though. Hobgoblin was always more interesting to me as a kid, though Green Goblin is the one with more iconic status. I think it worked out all right for the show though The Green Goblin arc was one of the better parts of the later seasons.

>And it was AWESOME.

Efrem Zimbalist was great on this show, batman and Iron Man

So you're saying S:TAS Felicia is Felicia mixed with not only Liz and Gwen, but Betty too?

She was always the villain I had the most hate for on this show. It was weird when I realized she was just a sweet, old lady everywhere else.

Felicia and MJ feel so Betty and Veronica

Fox Kids got a lot of backlash from soccer moms for Batman, X-Men and especially Power Rangers due to the violence. Spider-Man, their next big show was the one that had to feel the brunt of all that shit.

>Morbius the Vampire

I hated that eurotrash prick on this show
I was thinking fondly of it until you just reminded me of him

You mean they swapped places?

>I feel like that would have been a much better episode without the Dr. Octopus plot. I mean it's great that they were able to adapt the story at all, but it's really not as strong as it should be

I always felt this way. Mousie the cabbie's accent was pretty suicide inducing, too.
>>Ooh, little girl. You must think I just rolled off dee coconut wagon.

>It didn't even make sense for May to be her friend.
Seriously, May should have slapped the shit out of her

Spider-Man suffered from more censorship because Fox apparently got a new CEO at the time who hated Avi Arad, and she specifically put all those restrictions in place for it that didn't exist for Batman to stick it to him.

>okay I can understand why they couldn't use Electro, but I can't think of any good reason why they couldn't use Sandman
Sandman was another villain in the running for the unmade 90's movie.

It's WEIRD. Not to mention she's a regular supporting character for like three seasons before she becomes Black Cat. AND her mom's a rich industrialist who Doctor Octopus hates because she cut his funding, leading to the accident that fused his tentacles to his body.

>water clone MJ melting

Talk about fucked up concepts. Totally freaked me out as a kid.

no one knows

>okay I can understand why they couldn't use Electro, but I can't think of any good reason why they couldn't use Sandman

The show was envisioned as a semi-sequel to James Cameron's movie that never happened, which featured Electro and Sandman as villains and where they both died.

>pic

Close, but the Spot's girlfriend got lost in a vortex, too.

Everyone in this show got lost in a fucking vortex, goddamn.

What did Sup Forums think of the Secret Wars storyline in TAS?

Not half bad.

>I always felt this way. Mousie the cabbie's accent was pretty suicide inducing, too.
Remind me again why the needed this character again?

Just because...

Yeah but... Why did they feel they needed to make that pigeon rule in the first place?
It's not like it's something that happens in comics, contrary to blood, vampires and defenestration.

those episodes of Morbius ripping Spidey's suit to suck him fueled my early torn-clothes fetish