Why did they turn Luanne into a moron?

Why did they turn Luanne into a moron?

Isn't everybody in Texas a moron?

Someone say moron?

Characters are easier to write if they just have one simple trait; same reason that they killed off every relationship Bill got into.

She was always suppose to ditzy; everyone just kinda got flanderized after Season 7.

Pro-Tip: KotH is actually ABOUT Luanne. She's the only person whose status you can use to figure out what season you're watching, because she has character development.

Yeah.

>its a hank and luanne episode

best combination

they are so different yet very much the same

hank is the pen ultimate father

and luanne desperately seeks a father figure

she tries really hard to impress him

besides the fact that hank and like dale are the only two people who never creeped on luanne

kek

in Texas you say MORAN, moran

it was funny
also, the end of the 90s saw a kind of shift from "oh man, can we actually make fun of authority figures and get away with it?" to "women have taken over the world, i guess it's time to make fun of them too"
this trend eventually passed, and they went with "let's just bash anyone whom the "oppressed minorities" consider to "have been in power historically" " but for a while there it was pretty good satire

>MORAAANN

Who is
>Nancy
>John Redcorn
>maybe Cotton

Luanne never truly developed so much as they shuffled her around in reaction to the fact that her VA couldn't be around as much, but I'm not sure she actually changed. Like for real changed, not just "well she goes to college offscreen, apparently"

>Pass me some more of that cookie dough.
>Mmm. I never knew you could eat it raw. It's almost as good as ice cream.
>You know, they make ice cream with cookie dough already in it.
>Damn, sister, get me my keys!
That episode was beautiful

is THAT why it happened? that explains why they kept changing their minds.

The whole episode seemed...off

I'm not sure it was supposed to happen when they first had her attend college, but then in the next season she stopped showing up as much (Season 4) when before she used to appear in nearly every episode, and they had her move out toward the end of the same season. It seems like preparing for the next couple seasons when she'd only get a handful of appearances, because Brittany Murphy was focusing primarily on movies and so couldn't record with the rest of the cast the way she used to.

She was sort of written out toward the middle of the series with college/her own home being the explanation in the show, then Murphy came back more regularly in like Season 8 and they gave her more appearances. But they had to sort of change the college/home situation to explain why she was back.

It sort of feels like development in the individual episodes where she moves out or whatever, but it was more of an excuse because they didn't do too much with those concepts.

aside from the elevation, that's not the direction their window usually faces. Remember that privacy fence Hank makes Kahn put up
sounds about right. ever see Sushi Girl? good shit.

I know I've seen her in other stuff but not that.

Also just remembered that's why they had Joseph go through puberty too around the same time; she wouldn't have been able to continue voicing him on her schedule either.

She seemed retarded from day one.

This OP aint right.

oh wow, I never thought of that. I assumed it was something they did reluctantly
it sucks this show was never able to do what it clearly planned, and have time slowly progress, because they just loved pammy too much to replace her. Thing is, she CAN sound older. they could have pulled it off. instead they actually had Bobby get younger-ish.. lampshaded it once in a while, but it went from being cute ("I'm gettin chocklit milk if I sit still!") to just.. fucking irritating idiotic petulant teen

she was emotionally damaged, but tough and capable early on. truck fixing, threatening Cotton, etc. season 1 Luanne never would have let her cosmetics teacher be such a bitch to her. but that would have made for worse episodes, so

yeah it's those little moments

>besides the fact that hank and like dale are the only two people who never creeped on luanne

They didn't interact very much but Bill was supportive as hell of her in that one episode.

CAN'T YOUR BIG FEET DO AN 180

don't forget when Boomhauer let her stay over and just made her a bed on the couch and went to his room and left her alone. That was adorable, and he STILL got shit on for it. Boomhauer gets a lot of undeserved shit.

I was meaning more of, she went from ambiguously aged young adult finishing beauty school with thr Hills, to her moving out and attending college, to her moving BACK in and going back to beauty school, getting actual jobs, meeting and dating Lucky, getting knocked up, getting by and marrying Lucky, getting thier house and giving birth to Gracie.

Nancy and John Redcorn's arc was basically the one episode where she falls back in love with Dale and thr episode where with Dale's dad.

Cotton I can VAGUELY see, but having GH didn't really change anything about what his character was doing; GH only rarely figured into plots of Cotton episodes.

don't forget Redcorn going through what all alpha males do as they age, trying to become a rock star and then settling for children's entertainer..

Cotton didn't develop, I'd say he did the opposite, but it occurs to me you may have meant literally just 'luanne helps you know what season it is' rather than talking about development

>tfw when there's an alternate ending to the tornado episode where Luanne makes fun of how pale Hank looks like without his shirt on and instead if being uncomfortable about it, he playfully nookie her as a show that he sees her truly as family

I wish thr alt endings were talked about more. The Holloway episode makes way more sense with its alt ending.

I guess to me I'm not sure if her character herself actually changed so much as her life went to different places. Kind of like Cotton now that I think about it.

While Nancy and Redcorn at least actually had to confront how their lives would be different once the affair ended, commit to different things, etc. I feel like Luanne never got that kind of exploration across the series despite superficially having more things happen to her.

Even the children's entertainer thing was more of a way to write him out of the show. He only appears, like, twice after that.

But yeah; I was meaning more "Luanne's development" as "where she is/what she's doing". Luanne is always more or less the same ditzy pretty girl with rare moments of brilliance, but what she's DOING is never static.

I did like though when she had to just be practical and accept that as a mom, her dreams were over now. time to work on the baby and make sure her dreams come true instead

>Holloway episode
I actually liked how that one ended in the final version with Hank doing the right thing but still not "winning" except in a moral sense. Could be wrong but I feel like this show didn't do that too much on the whole.

She ended up not being trailer trash. Lucky was pretty serious about making himself into an actual member of society for her sake and they ended up getting a house.

Yeah. The alt ending was that Holloway's wife was the actual owner and used her husband's idiocy to see if her clients were honest people, which lands Strickland the propane accpunt.

>>its a hank and luanne episode
>best combination

Oh, man, that designated driver subplot in the pigeon episode.

>New rule... you... you can't listen to my song any more.

one of you guys in every thread, huh?

>to her moving BACK in
Did they actually explain when/why she moved back into the Hills' house or did they just casually plop her back into their house without any explanation?

that is a little convoluted, unlikely, and maybe a tad too 'fairy tale happy ending' for mike judge.
though, the way i heard it, it wasn't that she was testing them, it was that the frito pie kept her in the shitter the entire time so she was unable to do anything about her husband, or explain to anyone. so basically it would have been a 'peggy ruined eveything' episode long before those were common

its just penultimate
also that mean "seconds to last" its not like an alternate form of ultimate

one of what? are you trying to argue that's how the trend in TV went?
go through the Simpsons season by season and tell me that wasn't the cultural paradigm shift.
Peggy just out of nowhere was like "congrats on your new job cutting hair with Brian Doyle-Murray, why don't you move back in with us so you can save your money?"

>Lucky was pretty serious about making himself into an actual member of society for her sake and they ended up getting a house.

But he still never got a job or his GED. And in the Manger Baby Einstein episode the writers painted him as a poor victim because he had to take care of Gracie while Luanne was out trying to put food on the table.

Actually, the impetus for that whole plot didn't even make sense because Luanne shouldn't have to schedule around Gracie because she's got a grown-ass unemployed man sitting around the house all day.

that also the reason why Bill could never be happy
all his lady freinds were guest stars

what makes you think he never got his GED? he now knew he could do it..
>poor victim
more like.. mildly inconvenienced in a way that established a poor precedent if Luanne let things go any further and put her career ahead of her family. Lucky simply didn't know how to raise a kid, and she was leaving him alone 24/7, not just 8 hours a day

>Wanted Bill to follow up on that "Stroup likes him but he was distracted by weird singers" plotline
>Finally does
>They have to bullshit some completely asinine reason they cant be together
hurt almost as much as Laoma

>what makes you think he never got his GED?
I feel like the fact that since his response after he learned about Peggy sabotaging him was "woe is me, I'll never marry Luanne...unless it's a shotgun wedding!" instead of "I'll just take the test again later" implies that he never even bothered to try taking it again.

>more like.. mildly inconvenienced in a way that established a poor precedent if Luanne let things go any further and put her career ahead of her family. Lucky simply didn't know how to raise a kid, and she was leaving him alone 24/7, not just 8 hours a day

I mean I guess but that really doesn't come off well when 1)Luanne is the sole breadwinner and 2)She couldn't work her normal job (even though the logic as to why was pretty dumb because again, grown-ass unemployed father sitting in the house all day)

It just made it come off as Hank shaming Luanne for not being content with sitting around and living off of Lucky's fraud money.

of course there are trends in TV, but they are very broad and have more to do with genre of show or over all writing style, like the Reality TV Boom or the late aughts trend of self aware sitcoms. And media has always made fun of authority figures just in different ways as time has gone on.
but no i was mostly remarking on how there always one of you who has to try to make out that women/sjws/liberals/any form of social progressiveness is the downfall of [chosen media]

uh, first of all, of course it is.. but I wasn't saying that. Just that there was a very narrow timeframe during which anyone even considered pointing out any faults in women, and it was briefly a thing. Marge's gambling problem, etc.

I thought Loma got canned because Mike Judge stopped being the show runner and thr new guys wanted to dail back some of thr character development.

Neither did Boomhauer, he got really mad at his brother for checking her out and I don't think that was the only time he's shown to be like that about Luanne.

that sure is a thing you think

Elaborate moreeeeee pweez

When Hank shouts at her, "Resist the trailer park! ..resist the trailer park, Luann!"
>falls on deaf ears
>dates an old guy with possible inbreeding lineage

I remember her knowing her way around an engine. I wish they would have had her go to school for that instead.

Yeh.

yes, kahn is the ultimate father

Meta-joke. It's one of those Southern things: Luanne's good at cars because she just knows about it; no one would think of it as a "skill" because she didn't go to school for it in the first place. Kind of like Bobby's ability to shot really well. No one would tell him to go into the Service or become a cop, because that's simply a "knack" that he has.

Comes with being a cop.

She always was a moron.

I have actually known many people who are exactly like Leanne and they did the stereotype really well.

She used to be naive but she was also trying trying her hardest to make sure she didn't head down the same path as her mom did but then Lucky came along and fucked that all up.

In my country lots of white trash girls become hair dressers because they failed school.

If America is the same I feel like that's the joke / stereotype they are aiming for.

>turn

She was literally that from episode 1, you super reatard.

It was. Luanne didn't even seem to understand that she could even GO to college in the Buckley's Angel episode. Even Luanne's classmates' highest aspirations were to be the beauticians on the top floor of the local mall, while Luanne's were at least to be a Hollywood make-up artist (even though that's technically not what she was going to school for anyway). Hell; we don't even know if Luanne graduated high school.

But that's what I was implying; she and everyone else around her wouldn't have thought of her being great with cars as a "skill" insofar as a "real job" because that's just something she DOES; she didn't go to school for it, so it can't count as a "skill".

Fuck off, Kahn.

THANK you. That was really bothering me.

Good one, we all know Cotton is the top dad though.

Did anyone else just find out Kahn and Cotton are voiced by the same guy

Minh eventually integrated into the neighbourhood clique pretty well, but I don't know if that really counts as character development.

>Luanne didn't even seem to understand that she could even GO to college in the Buckley's Angel episode
That's not what was going on in that episode. The entire theme of it was letting go of the past and moving on with your life which she did with both Buckley and realizing her dream of being a make-up artist was not going to come true. It's not that she didn't understand she could go to college it's that she was so focused on this one portion of her life to make sure it doesn't go to shit like her mom's did she never really truly saw how much it was destroying her until she got so stressed out she ended up crashing her car.

Headcanon is that the Mega-Lo-Mart explosion gave her brain damage since she turns into a retard right after that.

That's revenge Hank

>She used to be naive but she was also trying trying her hardest to make sure she didn't head down the same path as her mom did but then Lucky came along and fucked that all up

Why do people keep spreading these lies?

It wasn't that brief in KOTH seeing how Peggy was completely retarded in every season.

>Why do people keep spreading these lies?
She literally says as much in the first episode she appears in. She also displays unprecedented mechanical talent, to the point that Hank was willing to let her work on his truck.

I meant about Lucky ruining all that

There are a lot of engineering students here, so no I guess?

you mean why did they make Luanne a moron AGAIN.

Luanne had a one of the better character arcs in the series. As she went from a trailer trash that was competent in things but suffered a huge lack of confidence. Then rose to become a confident college student and hair stylist. Then Lucky is shoe horned in and they reverted her back to trailer trash idiot.

No, but he's dead now.

He's a toothless, uneducated, unemployed hillbilly with such a weak grasp on math that for years he thought that the $53,000 from his settlement would last him the rest of his life. Plus Luanne got knocked up at 21 or 22.

Where's the maid outfit?

>Plus Luanne got knocked up at 21 or 22.

Ripe motherhood age

Biologically it's about 16-17 and nose dives past 35

Texas is dumb

That's not how you spell Commiefornia

I'm still mad that for all the reasons they could've gotten together all of the side characters for a cameo (including Hank's brother, Patch Boomhauer and the water heater repair man Bernie Mac played) it was for Luanne and Lucky's shitty wedding.

Pretty sure he not only got his 53k settlement but also a settlement from reinjuring his back in his lawyer's office

Also he's getting 53k each year so he won't sue. It's pretty common for big companies to do in order to keep someone quiet.

Yeah but the point is that he's so dumb that it took all the way up until planning the wedding and realizing he only had $9k to his name for him to realize that he wasn't set for life from the first settlement.

Fuck you I'm texan.

But yeah kinda.

>each year
Nope. Both of them were one-time payments.

The only thing i dislike about Lucky is his lack of foresight. He couldn't easily negotiated his settlements so he wouldn't have to work while still dropping a lawsuit. Think of it as a legal form of extortion.

At least he's drawing disability.

That only applies to Houston, DFW, San Antonio, and Austin.

UK?

Don't forget Joseph. He has some of the biggest changes through the show