I don't browse Sup Forums as much as I used to and I have not paid any attention to the animation scene in quite some...

I don't browse Sup Forums as much as I used to and I have not paid any attention to the animation scene in quite some time.

Was Cans Without Labels ever finished? If not, is there any excuse this time from John K? I notice that John hasn't made a new blog post since last year, which is kind of suspicious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iAJQsFJklGI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i'm glad i never bother to pay for that crap as much as i wanted to back then.
hopefully one day there'll be a top 10 kickstarter fails and this will be #1

It really is unfortunate, isn't it? This was basically John's last chance at redemption. Is there any sort of explanation or anything for it not being finished? Or will John just drop off the grid for the rest of his life?

So I just watched the pieced together version.

Some of the humor is a bit too crude, like the part where the kid is without a face shaking his arms. Also the fact that they drop the F bomb, which is weird to me coming from a John K cartoon. Overall it is pretty solid, and I can't say that for most of John's recent stuff.

When I watch John's stuff I always have Ren and Stimpy seasons 1&2 as a reference. R&S seasons 1 & 2 had crude humor, we all know this, but it was tailored towards kids. There is this innocence to the show which keeps it in balance with the disgusting stuff. This is what made it so fantastic, in my opinion. It was crude and challenging but at the same time innocent.

youtube.com/watch?v=iAJQsFJklGI

it just pisses me off that is been almost been half a decade now, and he still hasn't finished can's with out lables, that shit could have been done in a few months.
i mean i'm no expert in animation, and i understand that it's long hard work, but this ins't worth 5 years

I also highly doubt that this is being entirely animated by a single individual.

Man, as crazy and asshole-ish as John K. can be.... I just can't bring myself to hate him. I mean, I fucking LOVE (most of) the first two seasons of Ren and Stimpy, and the guy obviously has a lot of animation knowledge and passion for what he does. Not EVERYTHING he makes is a bullseye, no, but a lot of what he and the Spumco team have made in the past DO have a lot of effort and passion in them. Like , that's actually funny! I laughed a few times at it, some funny drawings in there. I'd LIKE to see more stuff from John and crew!

I just recently watched through Ren and Stimpy and honestly, the show takes a pretty quick nosedive once Spumco's out of the picture. Some episodes are alright, but nothing reaches those same heights.

So yeah, he can be a creepy asshole, but I don't think I could ever flat out HATE the guy.

Also, the Ren and Stimpy pilot had some really cool drawings in it, it has this sort of look to it that's a bit different from the show itself.

Just posting any caps I like.

Some great backgrounds in this one, too.

I whole-heartedly agree!

Part of why Ren looks so weird to me in APC is because his ears are so fucking small.

Well, I mean, looking like a weird wrinkly gremlin doesn't help.

I have many, many regrets. I make mistakes every goddamn day. But when you take out all of the ones that involve my interactions with other human beings, then my biggest regret by far is giving $100 to this instead of Anomalisa.

This is good, but it's where I expected the project to be at this time four years ago. I mean, for Pete's sake, I knew that the cartoon would be at least a year late. That's how late he often turned in things he was making for television. I didn't expect to be waiting for over four years, though.

Does he have anyone else working on it, or is it all him?

He originally had artists that he was paying with the money raised on Kickstarter, but then he ran out of money, so then it was just him and one or two other people.

The rare, elusive, blue tongue Ren. More rare than black eyelid Ren! What a find.

It's funny, but this episode is, like.... cuter looking? Maybe not the right word, but still.

Even still, if you had three animators working on a cartoon five days a week it would be done in at least a month. See: Carbunkle cartoons. Who knows what the hell happened in John's studio. Its been a while so some information may come to light soon.

That was alot better than most of his other shit, I can say that

Yes, it was cuter looking.
Kind of weird to see a R&S thread that doesn't derail into a shitfest in a quick way.

I think he's legitimately bad with money. He took on several paid gigs in the half a decade since the project started, even though you'd think that Ren & Stimpy royalties would've set him for life.

>tfw I donated to both this and Dead Meat

Dead Meat was a good choice. If Maxwell isn't still working on it, then he's at least building puppets, posing with them, and taking pictures for his social media. This means that eventually, through the process of trying to make it look like he's doing work, he'll actually get his work done, like in that one episode of The Buzz on Maggie.

Between this and Bee and Puppycat, and I'm almost certain Long Gone Gulch will be next, these lazy fucks are really going to kill any chance of someone getting kickstarter backing.

People are not going to trust it any more.

Bee and Puppycat actually got made.

2 years later, with a totally different style, and a half assed rushed ending

were you expecting anything else?
lazy art style & horrible pilot

Dead meat's still being worked on.

Cans without labels is... who knows?

Apparently it only needs titlecards and credits to be finished.

But, given how John K. operates, this may as well be the kind of false reassurance that a failing grade kid gives to his parents whenever they ask how is he doing at school.