Black Mask Spotlight:Kim&Kim

Well I said I was going to do it, I'm going to try to spotlight comics from Black Mask There has not been a lot said of them and I doubt they will ever get big. Still I'm going to spotlight their most popular series, and the one that got them nominated for a Eisner Kim&Kim!...

>Kim & Kim are twenty-something besties out to make a name for themselves in the wild world of interdimensional cowboy law enforcement. In a massive "screw you" to their parents and the authorities, they decide to hijack some high stakes bounty -- and end up in way over their heads. Kim & Kim is a day-glo action adventure that's bursting with energy and enthusiasm. Blending the punk exuberance of TANK GIRL with the buddy adventure wackiness of SUPERBAD (if Michael Cera was a trans woman and Jonah Hill a queer girl partner in crime), Kim & Kim is a bright, happy, punk rock sci-fi adventure that is queer as shit.

That is the worst description I've ever read. This is just literary Tumblr Dirty Pair.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pTMe1vhUxh0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tumblrites ripping off a late 80s/mid 90s anime? I'm shocked.

I wish they'd make another Dirty Pair anime though. Especially if they got Yas back and it looked good, instead of like Dirty Pair Flash.

You know what, that doesn't sound so bad. I like bounty hunter stories and Tank Girl was the shit, so-

>(if Michael Cera was a trans woman and Jonah Hill a queer girl partner in crime)

Noooooooooooope.

yeah that is the most unappealing thing I've ever read in a description.

Which one has the penis?

here's a fun game spot all the references and things this comics homages..

the one with the pink hair.

>The one with half their head shaved
Just like the trannies at work!

Next issue the setting goes full Saga and a god damn Bettlejuice reference is a major setting piece.

this cover...

there are two page in this that I'm going to post that literal filler.

Why is this setting suddenly Dungeons and Dragons....you know I will give Dirty Pair even more credit than I already did.

remember that two pages of filler? Well have the original Dirty Pair opening while I scream about why was THIS nominated for an Eisner.

youtube.com/watch?v=pTMe1vhUxh0

WHY.....THIS IS THE ONLY TIME THE COMIC IS PACED LIKED THIS.

>while I scream about why was THIS nominated for an Eisner.
I can't bother to muster up the energy to scream about that after screaming about Unreadable Squirrel Girl also getting nominated

that's why I'm screaming about it.

I guess we can take solace in the fact the award is basically dead

WHY IS THERE NECROMANCY WHY IS THIS NEEDED.

It's sad but true.

>muh tranny comic

The only person buying this at my LCS is a tranny.

Well at least they're actually buying it rather than shrieking for representation and ignoring the comics when they get it

At the comic shop I work at this was one of the books they read at LGBT night.

>LGBT night.
Oh to be a fly on the wall in there

The girl (formerly guy) is a long time comic book collector, tried drawing but never got up to a great level. Went through some major health problems, went trans. I don't know them other than they also shop at the store I go to. Always got a lot of niche type books anyway.

This issue introduces a Hipster assassin. Someone thought that this is needed?

I should add, I think they are getting it to support it, they got all that Sophie Campbell stuff too. Traded in their Wet Moon books to get the new printings with Sophie's name on them instead of the dead name.

I feel like a lot of trans people do it out of a desperate attempt to feel special once the realization there's nothing truly interesting about them hits

That hit me and now I'm writing a book

>Formerly a guy
Ok, I work with a FTM, but is it just me or is MTF a shitload more common?

There okay, I know one girl who hated Nimona but had to keep quiet because she didn't want to be called out on it.

>I know one girl who hated Nimona
You should tell her about the movie in the works :DDD

I've never seen a FTM that I am aware of, but know of 2 MTF's in my limited circle of people I come in contact with. It does seem more common.

If it's what makes someone happy, so be it. It does make me feel creeped out a little, but that's on me.

That's cool actually. My problem comes from the fact that I wish these comics where better. A lot of these people are new to the Industry and it feels like they are stuck in this style.

The art is okay, in a cartoony style, I don't hate it. Not something I'd buy though. Kinda like Jem and the Holograms, I was interested when Sophie Campbell was doing it, or Giselle Lagace. I didn't like them making a fat one etc., etc. The other artists they've gotten are terrible so I stopped getting the book. I just wanted it to be like the cartoon.

The story? I lost interest after the reading the first few pages.

Here's some more stories, we also have a Ladies night and Civic ladies night, which is basically the same clique but the meet there just the same. I will use this space to tell you some of the shit I've heard,

>I'm so happy! LADY CASTLE HAS A SEWING CIRCLE!

The issue with these sorts of stories it there's really never a proper sense of risk

They feel like the author just wanted to show people hanging out and then having wacky adventures free of any tension or stakes. Lumberjanes is a good example of this

Stories THRIVE on conflict. And that's what a lot of these stories seem to lack.

>Miles struggles so much more than Peter Parker.

Ugh, Lumberjanes. I don't know what to call that art style that has been around the past few years, but I can't stand it. I realize there is an audience for it, but it's not me.

it's a constant issue with these books. I've been working on a story that actually sets out to destroy the Princess empowerment genre as I call it.
>>>Woman comes in crying:my boyfriend broke up with me.....every customer in the store becomes very awkward as a bunch of women console her...at a comic store.

>Reading Civil War II near them
>Was reading Love is Love beforehand finished it quickly.
>"Oh god this is a mess
>"WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT LOVE IS LOVE?"
>Oh your reading Civil War.
>I back away.

>The one time they discussed their periods in front of me...I will never look at steak the same way again.

This comics never goes beyond, we have to pay rent...ever.
>>My girlfriend asks me why I never invite her over for this, the one time I do.
>Can we just hang with your friends?

>I've been working on a story that actually sets out to destroy the Princess empowerment genre as I call it.
In what industry?

I was looking into novel writing, like I said earlier I'm writing a book, and it's pretty indoctrinated at the moment to the point everyone who gives writing advice keeps bringing up gender and race stereotypes (only the female and brown ones, natch) as something to fervently avoid. If you lambaste the strong princess character who don't need no knight too hard you'll get a black mark on you if you try to publish

Brandon Sanderson, who isn't entirely free of the above himself, does bring up a good point. Write the opinions of people you don't agree with as if you did. Because nothing pisses someone off more than having a strawman represent their views (He's mormon so the braindead religious zealot thing probably gets to him)

I'm not telling you not to do it since I hate the female empowerment genre as it seems to glorify being a bitch who refuses any help, but you have to use a deft hand

Here's a bad customer story for you.
>"Hey I have the first appearance of Wolverine, mint how much is it?
>We don't appraise stuff over the phone
>all right FUCKING PUSSY.

Right now I'm planning for a comic. If now I will go web novel. I've had this story ever since I've read princless and read Elric. If I have to I plan on saving money to pay an artist and handle the lettering myself. Make a first issue and try to kickstart more.

My store doesn't advertise anywhere it buys comics. They do take some trade from regulars sometimes, or if a bunch of good comics walk in the door, he might make an offer.

Some people have gotten REALLY mad that they would not buy their crap comics, or people wanting to trade in stuff they bought (and read) to get more and getting refused. Like he's obligated to buy things back.

They also always ask "what would you give me for this?" and they reply "well what do you want?", he never says an amount first.

Here's the thing, I don't plan on writing anyone as fully evil in the story, but I always wonder why everyone wants a princess to be a hero. Men as heroes come from a lot of places, but for some reason it seems like a female hero does not have to be a princess.

To be fair not like Gunsmith Cats or whatever was all that straight.

My store does and we do advertise it, but yeah sometimes that happens. The best story is about those X-men comics the guy thought were garbage and we paid a hundred for them....he had the first appearance of Deadpool and X-men 1-300, he didn't know what he had and just left afterwards. It was weird.

No it's not but man are those books more entertaining than this.

>I always wonder why everyone wants a princess to be a hero
>"Everyone expects the princess to be saved!"
>"But I'M going to write it so the princess is the hero!"
Basically people don't realize this trope has already been turned on its head so much it's leaking brains from its nose.

Heh. My book idea came from seeing a fantastic setting and crying at how badly the characters and cultural expectations butchered unreasonably detailed and airtight worldbuilding and hilariously awesome setpieces (especially the magic system). Naturally I'm changing some things so it's not straight up fanfiction, but it's very inspirational.

We all need that creative spark to get us going, most people just never admit their spark to the public

>See woman she comes in
>Hey what can I find for you
>Sure what are you looking for
>Jim Balent Catwoman
>I look at her, "you know"
>Yes those are my favorites, I'm the one Catwoman fan who hates the Ed Brubaker run, now do you have them?
>Find them and have a nice chat about cosplaying and 90's books we like.

I'm not in the know enough about Catwoman. Is this basically:
>"You know, that one is really sexy"
>"Yeah I'm the one fan who doesn't bitch about sexy"

Tarot Witch of the Black Rose (Jim Balent's current book) has a lot of women reading it too.

That's the thing I grew up on a lot of deconstruction, Spider-man is my favorite superhero because of his problems, and despite them rises to be a hero. To me a princess has so much power that it's hard for to look at them and think of them as heroes. Especially because of how fucked up real life royalty ends up being. I also want to try and a make a tumblr style setting but actually use world building that makes sense. There is a medivial style comic that uses cell phones apps and it just weird-ed me out.

I'm not really surprised.

I know women who hate how feminism is destroying sexy. They want to be sexy. They want to see and be seen as sexy. They hate how sexy is being demonized in the name of justice.

Yeah it's one of those reasons why I hate bloggers who say women can't enjoy these, some women sure but women are so much fucking more than their hangups about other women. Also Static Shock is a better Spider-man than Miles.

Yeah, when all the Marvel female characters starting changing costumes, a lot of people were complaining, men and women. Some women do dress sexy in real life. I'm not saying every female super hero should too, but fuck, it does make sense that some would. It's like they all became prudes.

This has been a very therapeutic storytime for me.

It's a combination of the people who made those blogs years ago now making comics that they are trying to fix things. Like at least keep Tigra the way she is, I don't want her to die of heat stroke.

I thought I'd look up the author. Saw something about them bitching about how non-trans authors shouldn't write trans characters. Of fucking course.