Matt Reeves Confirms The Batman Is Starting Over From Scratch

oh lawd

>Recently, MTV snagged Reeves for a lengthy interview on its Happy Sad Confused podcast. The director talked at length about his approach to filmmaking and his tenure with Planet of the Apes before turning to Batman. While Reeves couldn't say much, he did confirm his take on The Batman will move away from the script Affleck and Geoff Johns penned.
>“No,” Reeves explained. “It’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool."
>Later, Reeves was also asked if he has approached anyone about casting for the project. MTV's Josh Horowitz specifically brought up Josh Gad's on-going teases about him playing the Penguin, but the director said nothing like that has happened. "No, no, no. The whole thing is just; Truly, I’ve not been doing anything other than working on Planet for the Apes," he explained.
>“Not only did I say this is the perspective where I want to come which is a personal perspective, but I also said this: I’m not free. I cannot start on this [right now]," Reeves said. I’m working on a movie I’ve been on for three years, and I’m certainly not going to drop the ball now."
>For now, it looks like Reeves is just starting to flesh out his plan for The Batman as he takes a break following his lengthy tenure with Planet of the Apes. There is no telling how The Batman may change moving forward, but fans have been quick to vocalize their most potent concern. Before Affleck exited the movie, Joe Manganiello was cast to play Deathstroke. If Reeves chooses to move away from the villain, then the actor may not get to suit up as the villain after all. And, for fans, the loss would be a hard one to accept at this point.

>And, for fans, the loss would be a hard one to accept at this point.
Not really. I'd rather have one of Batman's villains in a Batman movie.

How long until Affleck quits?

I'm betting once the contract is over they will have to recast Batman because Ben sure as hell won't be staying for this shit

Now taking bets on how long it takes for Affleck to "leak" it.
I hope he does I would absolutely love to read it.

RIP Deathstroke :(

Deathstroke is fucking gay
glad he trashed Johns' shitty script

all this cuck has done is used his role as director on Batman to plug his sequel to the sequel to the prequel to the reboot of Planet of the Apes (or whatever it is)

I'm sure he's a busy guy and probably tired at the end of the day but all the interview footage where he just looks totally depressed makes me feel sad for the guy. You think he's dissatisfied with his portrayal, or the end product, or something like that?

He was going through a shitty divorce and was battling alcoholism. Of course he looked depressed.

soon

Damn, I didn't know anything about that. Poor guy.

They were getting divorced because he cheated on his wife.

>get a good director
>directors only stipulation is that he gets to make the movie he wants to make
>the director has the credentials of critical acclaim and box office success
I don't see a problem. I really, really don't. Better to start from scratch then, have a decent director a half ass something he has no personal investment in.

Which is blamed on the booze. I dunno, dude seems really fucked up on so many levels as of late.

>The Batman will move away from the script Affleck and Geoff Johns penned

Hes trying to get better for his kids at least. But folks hounding him about Batman isnt good for him. Like calm the fuck down, let the dude libe.

>No Deathstroke
And nothing of value was lost. The only reason people want him is for stupid matchups

I agree it might be better to let the man work, and not meddle in it, but, it IS also kind of worrying to hear that any preliminary work by Affleck or anyone else has just gone right down the toilet. Just another setback

Wait so if Affleck isn't in the next Batman, the who plays him?

He is. He's just not writing or directing anymore.

He's gonna be aged as if another 10 years from the alcoholism and cigarettes by the time they get him in front of the camera

He's gonna be the most disgusting looking Batman

mouse niggers scared. Homecoming is going to get squashed by a guy pretending to be a monkey for 90 minutes.

Wait I thought Deathstroke was going to be in Justice League first. They already had footage of him in costume. Is that not a thing anymore?

Batfleck vs. Gorilla Boss will be the only thing that would get me to watch this.

JL is having extensive reshoots by Joss Whedon now that Snyder is out. Deathstroke is cut since he was just a superfluous cameo.

Well, Zack Snyder wanted an aged, broken down Batman and now Ben's paying the price.

Sad thing is, he's not method acting or anything. Ben's life is just crumbling around him.

Am I reading this right?
Is movie Batman getting rebooted again
A-fucking-gain?

They are just doing a new script. LEARN TO READ.

>extensive
Everyone is already done with their reshoots.
It didnt even last two weeks.

Don't count on it, Disneyfriend

>I don't see a problem. I really, really don't.
It's just an excuse to shitpost about DC having problems. You know, like how Wonder Woman was "a mess" in production according to a *former* WB employee of course. Meanwhile The Mouse is going through directors and reshoots like toilet paper.

This board gets pants on head retarded anytime they read a Screenrant article.

>Ben Affleck steps down from directing The Batman.
>"AHAHAHA Ben is going to quit! #DCDone!"
>News of Matt Reeves was "in talks" of directing Batman. later that week Matt Reeves "refused" or was still in the workings. Most
>"Deal didn't fall through! DC on some suicide watch!
>Deal is official
>"B-But no Battfleck!"
Ben literally tweets "welcome to that Batt cave"
>"I'm not seeing the camera crew or set directors, or anything. and no marketing. A-HA! Take that!

didn't they say outright that "The Batman" wasn't the name of the film? or am i remembering incorrectly

Good
I can't read good sorry

>was "a mess" in production according to a *former* WB employee

that may have been BS

but this is coming out the director's mouth this time

Joe is contracted to these films now. I can see them pushing him for Suicide Squad 2. They'll have Deadshot and Deathstroke bitching about how their names are similar.

this post reeks of mouseketeer

What's the evil scheme Bandora has with the Batman movie?

>Johns shitty

b bbuut he's saving the DCU?!?!?!

>but this is coming out the director's mouth this time
All that I got out of this interview was "Matt Reeves is directing & will not be using Affleck's script." I don't exactly get why the Devin Faracis here are trying to push this negative spin here. Matt Reeves brings in money, why would you hire somebody who has a record for guaranteed box office success to work on a movie based on somebody else's script? You might as well not hired the guy at all if you were going to stick with Affleck's script.

and even if Affleck's script was shit: (we'll never know honestly) does it matter anymore?

Why are any of you pretending to be surprised? With Reeves, it was clear he was starting from scratch. The early director drama was probably also a product of him wanting do start over from scratch.

>I don't see a problem. I really, really don't.
The reality is that Batman will be starting from scratch. I am not saying that is a problem in itself, in fact it is probably a good thing for the film to be delayed. Warner's problem is they are rushing, and anything that slow shit down is welcome. But people who want films to be done sooner than later have reason to complain about another delay like this.

Affleck Co wrote the script with Johns, so its confirmed to be shit.

Didn't Reeves say he wanted the film to be Noir?

>rushing
How? The inly movie theyll have done is Aqyaman after JL and we arent getting that til late 2018 and the next movie after that isnt til mid 2019 if they can get flash on its feet.
How are they rushing?

That script put Affleck back in rehabilitation.

>Entire DCEU outside of Wonder Woman is an unending dumpster fire

What a time to be alive...

I was gonna make a Gone Girl joke, but it turns out everyone else already did.

how does it feel that Iron Spider 4 is going to get BTFO about CGI monkeys?

Once JL tanks I'd be surprised if he doesn't try to get out before The Batman. If he can't then definitely after that.

What're the odds he wants to do some SUPER DEEP TOTALLY THE MOST COMPLEX GREATEST BATMAN EVER movie?

I hope Johns can reign him in at least somewhat and maybe actually make a Batman movie that resembles the comics a bit.

I'd think they would go ape-shit

>I don't exactly get why the Devin Faracis here are trying to push this negative spin here.
Oh I think you know why.

MoS was good. BvS was good. JL will be good. Aquaman will be good and has had no production issues, not even a fake news article about it.

>Keep asking for "Demon in a Bottle" storyline.
>Wish granted, but now it's Batman.

>extensive reshoots
You are fake news

I'll be fine if he brings back a quick-thinking Detective Batman with incredible stealth and fighting prowess and technical skills.

Instead of what we have now, an incoherent retard in power armor.

This movie is going to be worse than Trank's Fantastic Four movie.

This long in development Hell and several rewrites is never a good sign.

>This long in development Hell and several rewrites is never a good sign.
Yeah turns out Wonder Woman was a huge flop!

>How? The inly movie theyll have done is Aqyaman after JL and we arent getting that til late 2018 and the next movie after that isnt til mid 2019 if they can get flash on its feet.
>How are they rushing?
Batman was meant to be made and released next year. Obviously it isn't happening now, but that was the plan.

Wasn't it supposed to be Aquaman, Batman and Flash in 2018?

>MoS was good. BvS was good
Holy shit, this delusion

BvS was a masterpiece. Rewatch it until you get it.

Everyone with talent will be gone when they get booed outta comiccon

[Spoilers]which means dc will be largely unaffected[/spoilers]

>Batmeme V supermeme was so bad they're going to reboot it again for justice league

To be fair, the new POTA films are much better than a vast majority of cape films.

Can we finally get hush as a villain? That's all I want

Is FUCKING wonderwoman going to become DCEU's Tony stark? As she is the only character that WB seem to have their shit together about

>Potentially no Dickstroke push
Make it so. Slade already causes enough shenanigans without being carried further by sheer popularity like the Joker.

Gadot doesn't have the onscreen charisma for it, Pine might've but he's Kill.
She's a Chris Evans at best.

They are going to try and make Avengers without a Tony Stark, which honestly ought to be worth about GotG2 box office.

>As she is the only character that WB seem to have their shit together about

And even that's a stretch.

So I guess Marvelfags are starting up their anti-Batman shilling, huh?

Somebody post all those articles they shilled talking about how Wonder Woman was a disaster before release.

>Is FUCKING captainamerica going to become DCEU's Tony stark? As he is the only character that WB seem to have their shit together about
Ftfy

They would have to fundamentally alter the trajectory of the Batman character in movies to make Hush a viable enemy for him.

I hope he gets to do whatever he wants. We've all read Johns' Batman and it was fucking terrible.

Good, chemo the shit out of Snyder's influence

Just fucking do Under the Red Hood, and pretend Bats didn't go full murderfface.

>they are rushing

Literally how in the fuck are they "rushing?" This movie isn't out for fucking years. Tell the truth: did you read Marvel's Spiderman/Deadpool article where they told you what to say when criticizing WB and just parrot it without thinking?

i think it was mostly his crippling addiction and wife leaving him with the children

Stop suggesting shitty story arcs to adapt.

>Literally how in the fuck are they "rushing?" This movie isn't out for fucking years.
It seems you are pretending to not remember The Batman's intended release window.

I am honest to god not sure if Marvelfags know how movies work. BvS came out LAST YEAR and this movie is a follow up to it. Two years is not "development hell." That is normal film development. Unless of course you are willing to call Ant-man a flop since it took multiple years to come out and went through multiple directors, or are willing to say Black Panther will be bad because it went through did directors like fucking candy.

The fact of the matter is that in early production movies go through a lot of staff and early script treatments over a span of a few years; it's just that every time WB turns around fifteen articles have to be written talking about it. There is an abnormal amount of transparency regarding WB's DC movies and people with no brains are willfully misreading the situation.

>evil plan depends on Batman not having a spare Bat rope

How about some Manbat shit? They already did some CG work with something that looked like it, plus it might help better work Batman into the more supernatural world they're building if his first movie is a kind of horror angle thing.
Basically more or less On Leather Wings just drawn out to theatrical length.

Two years after its predecessor?

Too similar to Lizard, thanks TASM

Whedon will work his magic and JL will be successful with critics, audiences and the box office

If it was still Snyder it would be dead on arrival

>Warner is rushing on Batman!
>But its been in development hell for too long!

Disney fans are like fucking animals. These things don't deserve to be treated like people; at this point they're just rabid, slathering creatures with a pavlovian response to quips.

>CG work

Jason's my favorite Robin and even I'm tired of Jason.

>no Deathstroke

Good, save him for Titans.

Thanks to Reeves, The Batman is going to be kino just like Apes

Do you want this movie to look even worse ?

Didn't they say something about rushing out a nightwing movie, likely so they can move on to Dick-bat.

Batman never had a release date, it was all just folks being wishful.

Yes user, everybody knows Johns wanted to protect the integrity of his beloved batman.

Yes user, everybody knows Johns wanted to protect the integrity of his beloved batman. Snyder wasn't the problem.
Johns clearly was, Ben is a victim.

>yfw Ape-shit becomes ape-kino, while cape-shit stays in shit

Good Geoff John's Deathstroke movie was a Dumb Fucking Idea

But Affleck is a terrible actor. His strength is at writing and direction

Didn't Reeves say he wanted to make a noirish, detective Batflick? He should include Matches Malone to emphasize the lengths Bruce goes to investigate. None of the pussy "run it in the Batcomputer to solve everything"

I hope so, im not a fan of Ben's batman. Besides, he doesn't even seem to be into it anymore, if ever.