Regular show

what does Sup Forums think of this? i watched the pilot and it seemed a bit generic.
is it worth watching all 8 seasons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y894QNtX0VA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pretty alright show. Self-aware adherence to formula doesn't bother me too much, and I'm a sucker for the 80s music and games they feature. I can't say that every second of all 8 seasons is worth watching. It might wear on you if you try and marathon it.

Fucking love it. It's one of my favorite Cartoon Network shows ever.

Regular Show was a great show to watch for it's first few seasons. I don't know which one started making the show a cringy-ass relationship drama, but those are worthless with the exception of a few episodes.
Last season was awesome.

is it one of those "watch the first 3 seasons and skip to the last season" shows?
ive never done this i feel like i should have for some.

It's worth watching for the first 3 seasons for the laffs, then the rest if you like the characters enough to want to see them develop and stuff.

Personally I was never invested enough to keep up with it, dropped out in like season 4 or so.

I'm Muscle Man IRL desu

I'm sure you're pretty brotier

Forgot my pic.

Watch it until you no longer want to watch it.

This is probably a good call: Dip your toes in, if you don't like it don't dive in

It's a great show
>is it worth watching all 8 seasons
No

>tfw I didn't mind all the stuff about relationships

Who was the girl Mordecai wasn't supposed to kiss?
Mordecai kissing CJ probably erased the reason Rigby had for communicating with his past self.

same, I think Regular Show was a great cartoon all the way through, some people are just obsessed with finding a time when a cartoon was at its "peak" it seems

I thought it was nearly a masterpiece all the way through. It's all just supported by well developed characters and how they changed throughout the series run. Then the final two seasons happened and I was honestly blown away. It's not often you see a cartoon get that tight with a plot and roll with it.

how is Rigby not getting his ass burned while sitting on a lawn mower engine while it's in use?

I want to fuck the bird so pretty good

you mean mordecai? because same

Yes, though I would prefer him and rigby fucking

predictable formulaic plots
characters all try too hard to be cool

Would've been better on adult swim

Go ahead. You can get some pretty entertaining episodes out of it. How crazy the situations can get to is what makes this show special. Not every episode is great, but the show remains fairly consistent in its entire run.

One Cheek Wonder feels no pain

10/10 ending

Yeah but Mordecai and Rigby didn't get together

I never understood Sup Forums's huge hatred for it after S3, many acted like the relationship stuff wasn't part of the show until Season 4, and even if it were the case, there was just 7 direct relationship centric episodes out of 40 in the entire season, and if you include the TGI Tuesday episode types where it's about the relationship but 70% of it is taking place away from the relationship itself to focus on a different, but relating story, you'd have 10 at most out of 40.

Plus I think Season 4 was its peak if anything was, I mean A Bunch of Full Grown Geese, Exit 9B, The Christmas Special, TGI Tuesday, Picking Up Margaret and K I L I T Radio, The Last LaserDisc Player, etc. were all great and held the show's premise pretty strong.

I think Season 5 would've been the more understandable era where Sup Forums fell out, because even as a big fan I remember the season with slight boredom, not that much, but it's either because I was actually getting used to the formula or maybe it's just because I remember those episodes more which makes rewatching them a bit boring since I know what happens to a T. But it was where the formula did become strictly apparent, if it hadn't already to you. Despite that Benson's Car, A Skips in Time, The Thanksgiving Special, The Postcard, The Crash Pit, Skip's Story, and Expert or Liar are all pretty great.

Season 6 I have no gripes with people shitting on, I get it. I mean, I was fine with almost all of it, but I get the other perspective.

I think it's one of those shows you can binge and like, but the experience would've been better if you grew with it as it aired. I watched it since the beginning and became attached to it, it was my kind of series and no other show has struck me the same way, ever. I'd say a Season 8 without space adventures and then Season 9 in Space would've been fine. Season 7 was a return to form and I feel a bit more Earth adventures would've still been great.

See this chick. This is an Eileen. Invest in no other female characters but her.

Eileenfags have been a nuisance since the beginning

The show has an obscenely high kill count.

>the pilot
The official, non First Day, pilot, or The Power?

Mordecai's to blame honestly.

If he were capable of commitment then Margaret or CJ could have been equally developed.

People are essentially mad at Eileen because Rigby was able to grow up and stick with the one girl who ever liked him.

no she's just annoying

The only cartoons to have Stan Bush and correctly do a giant robot fight in this gen(not you Gravity Falls) are A okay in my book

>a giant robot fight
which

If I could see just one thing from another universe I'd want to see the outcome to JG's original idea for the series where they worked at a zoo and the humans were the animals and the animals were the workers.

Didn't JG say at New York it was called Normal Show at that stage? I can't stand watching Comic Con recordings because of the audience and embarrassing shit happening

This, I liked it because I liked the characters

It's good up until about Season 4, from then it's pretty hard to actually watch since ridiculous love pairing and slight filler. But if you can handle it, go for all 8.

>slight filler
what the fuck?

I'm surprised just how little everyone wants to acknowledge it, even the network has shame for it.

this.
you'll almost hate the final season if you don't care for the characters.

GOAT and extremely underrated. Even though the over arching story in Season 6 was shit, there were still some classics like Duck Crisis. Also Season 7 was a huge improvement and probably the best season since 3

Same. Mordecai was a bit hard to stomach through but it had a point and it was realistic. All the other romance plots were pretty solid desu

>Mordecai is my favorite character
>Near Season 5 finally check out RS threads
>everyone wants him dead

I always hated that the officially circulated synopsis of the series implied Mordecai and Rigby made supernatural things happen to get out of work rather than it happening by itself on accident

It's like Phineas and Ferb. Good show but extremely formulaic to a point that you could probably already guess every joke and set-up by the time you finish the second season. They also attempt at some character development later on which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Good show, just don't binge watch it or else you'll get sick of it fast.

From the few episodes I have watched, the show seems to be just the average hijinks of a pair of stoners. Yeah, the plot may be good, and the jokes may be ok, but if you care about characters at all, you should stay away from it.

I'm personally of the opinion that stories without positively relatable characters, or at least ones that are explicitly not supposed to be relatable, are not good, so take that as you may.

At least you are aware of your own taste and biases user. Personally, I feel overtly "relatable" characters is a cheap way to skip over creating depth and personal dilemma at times. But that's just me and I have a soft spot for watching characters suffer.

>if you care about characters at all, you should stay away from it.
What? Mordecai and rigby are great

Christmas Special and Exit 9B were fantastic (better finale than the actual finale) but the rest I remember being bored of. Though I think I was more just tired of the show at that point and it wasn't that particular season's fault.

CJ probably was the girl he wasn't supposed to kiss.

I.E. rigby was trying to avoid the relationship shit that led to mordo's shit toast at muscleman's wedding.

For what reason?

If you don't already find her annoying then you wouldn't understand where the perception is coming from.

It'd most likely be another case of what i find annoying you find funny

>It'd most likely be another case of what i find annoying you find funny
Can you give an example of her being annoying? because I haven't seen the show since the finale

Any time her VA tried to be expressive, it just came off annoying

her thermonuclear fusion rap is a start
and maybe i think that would set a bad precedent for our relationship

Why did he hate Cloudy Jay so much bros?
He was such an unlikable faggot.

People with anxiety can be super chill but they do end up psycho if their anxiety starts acting up too bad which isn't entirely their fault but not treating it is. CJ only needed medication and she's older than 22 so should have figured that out by then.

He didn't?

Look at his face

you can't tell him his show is bad

JQ is cute

i'm straight but seeing him makes me feeI gay

I want to fuck that man so bad

No, it's shit just like nearly all modern cartoons.

Gravity Falls is the exception.

For anyone around the late Season 7 threads:

Well, at least--

The spanish dub has them cussing every fucking day, it's amazing

espaƱol latino o europeo?

He says OOOHHH during climax, doesn't he?

I think Latin? If you're asking which dub cusses. I've seen a bunch of 240p rips on youtube back when they could get past the copyright notice and they cussed so casually. They say shit a lot

i dont think thats true, im from latin america, and while the dub did have some regionalisms i dont think they cussed at all

Must be a different dub

or one of the thousand youtube poops that the show has here

Did your Real Thomas airing have the Druznic censor?

I would put the first two seasons of Regular Show near the top of CN's original programming.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the show started to stall as the formula became stale and their attempts to work outside it were doomed to failure because the showrunners wanted to keep things very episodic. Between the aborted arcs of Mordecai's love life, Rigby being relegated to the role of sidekick to facilitate those derelict arcs, and in general the one-dimensional roles the supporting cast plays (exemplified most mind-numbingly in the seemingly endless procession of muscleman episodes, each less interesting than the last) the show quickly wore down the sparkling character dynamics that made the show so fresh at its beginning.

For me the greatest strength of RS was the dynamic between Mordecai & Rigby, an authentically funny repartee that also made for some touching moments. As the show went on this dynamic ceased to be the focal point and therein for me was the decline of RS.

Are you referring to how in the early seasons there would be more off-hand dialogue scenes and details than later? Because that's always bugged me, in the first few seasons there were times where they'd talk or have a little side conversation and then in later episodes they just had plot related dialogue

Sticky actually did nothing wrong.

>I'm surprised just how little everyone wants to acknowledge it,
It just got really bad what's worse is that all the focus on romance was ultimately pointless since he ended up with some random bitch

Solid 7/10 for the first few seasons
stopped watching by Exit 9b

Except Phineas and Ferb knew when to call it quits and never got bad just kinda stale while Regular Show got kinda bad but rebounded in the last season.

How do you make season eight good?

Fix the writing, it dropped to "New Series" tier half the time, but I get that it was in space and it was a bit harder to write for, Calvin said it himself.

But seriously? 8 seasons in and you're going to do a fucking "trust the new guys over my long time friends" story? It just felt like a different series in terms of writing. We've never seen it that low.

Plus the animation was kill yourself korea tier bad very often, but that's CN's fault.

The finale suffered having NO TIME AT ALL to be rewatched before it aired. As soon as they finished sound mixing it aired, maybe if they didn't air 20 episodes in 3 weeks they might've had more time to check over mistakes

Most of the earlier episodes are better for just general random adventures. The show ends up being kind of like Adventure Time where it starts out silly and then eventually the silly takes a backseat to the characters (although admittedly not nearly as much as AT) but there are still great later episodes like "I Like You Hi" that have romance plots and character stuff but it's still fun and hilarious

My problem with Regular Show is that I got a vibe they didn't know who their audience was. There was a lot of music and shit I remember from my childhood as a fat man who watches cartoons, but also some dumb shit for kids. It balanced everything pretty well, but fell into this rut of returning characters over and over and it lost the charm of discovering new bullshit in the world. That and the dating drama stuff that was never written that well and dragged on forever.

I think you could get by watching the first seasons until you feel like you've seen enough, and I do think the finale was nice, but I'd rather just watch this short and move on youtu.be/y894QNtX0VA

CN made sure it had kid-tier moments, especially after Season 4 where they had to tone down literally everything to where it basically changed

I liked how nearly every episode was like an 11 minute action movie

You know who ELSE is Muscle Man IRL desu?

A lot of 80's references and in almost half of the episodes they meet the guardian of some activity/concept/alternative reality... also, avoids any episodes of Mordecai and his love interest of the season.

Those filters are still on, senpai?

baka

From what I've seen they're the least interested in life losers I've ever seen. At least with shows like Ed Edd and Eddy the protags are all horrible, but at least they're just acting like kids their age more or less, whereas Mordecai and Rigby are implied to be, what, early 20s~?

I don't know why more and more protags are given the loser archetype, as in they should canonically be more mature than represented, as if that makes them "deep."

It's a strained coming of age story, they're both at the fresh out of college age and Mordecai is dragged down by his friend who acts like his immature younger brother. Mordecai tries to be the responsible one but he himself slacks already, it's just made worse his best friend reels him in with bad ideas.

Mordecai cares a bit, but what he does ends up being dragged down by Rigby making mistakes and just tempting him with snack break-tier slackery.

I'd say they care about life, but they're both kids at heart, even Mordecai. Occasionally Mordecai attempts to get Rigby to work while doing it himself.

Plus, Benson and the other characters have nice traits beyond what they're immediately known for. You get to know them better by Seasons 4 and 5, at the first few seasons the series was still getting its footing and was excelling at non continuity stories that didn't need the character's traits to kick off of.

The longer a show goes the more it gets to stretch

The most disappointing thing about the series, in my opinion, was its animation degrading. The characters started being drawn off model in a sloppy and kinda shitty way, and I've seen it mentioned before as seasonal rot. Things like Rigby's nose being drawn with straight short lines and his eyes being uncomfortably perfect circles via drawing shape tools aren't even the most noticeable, things like Mordecai's top hair spike being the same size as Margaret's at times either.

But what's worse is how straightforward it became. Tiny details like a character doing something in the background or even their pupils following what they were watching as it passed the screen just stopped happening.

Take this scene for example, Mordecai holds Muscle Man's shoulder to calm him down. After he sits back in his seat he holds his head in silence for a minute, just a background thing. After MM apologizes for freaking out, Mordecai goes back to his normal sitting pose. It doesn't change camera angles to jump to him already back in his regular pose either.

In later seasons these things stopped, if this had happened in season 6 or so, he would've either just sat back in his seat or it would've jump-cut back to him sitting already.

You might say this is a minor thing to bitch about, and you'd be right. My point is this is the stuff that made me enjoy Regular Show just a bit more, the characters occasionally did their own thing, and made the scene both more lively and feel real.

Later seasons mainly did what was necessary and that's it. I chalk it up to budget but I know it was a storyboarding perspective too.

It's just a damn shame because I enjoyed times where a character did things that weren't the direct focus or even mentioned.

I know no one probably cares but whatever, it makes me feel better saying it because from an animation viewpoint it makes the scene feel more complete rather than a frozen picture with a few moving mouths.

Ok, maybe it gets good after 3 seasons of development, but shows that don't have that spark from the beginning are just plain not good at all. Otherwise, how can you justify recommending anyone watch it for so long just to get to the 'good parts.'
If it's good from the beginning, then I must have missed it, and your description of how it's a coming of age story is interesting, but is that really supported by the show itself?

First few seasons were god-tier but unfortunately the show got weighed down by relationship drama, though there were still a few gems here and there. The finale was pretty great though

The last season really should've had some Earth focused episodes. Does anyone have that comic by one of the storyboard artists where Margaret and CJ meet up?

I'm just saying the characters become fleshed out as it goes on, it gets more character centered. I also said it's because it needed to establish itself first because they, on a kid's channel, couldn't just start out with continuity and making the characters anything but easy to understand one-notes.

I think it was great since the beginning, but that's because I already liked the characters, I wasn't saying it gets good when the characters start getting fleshed out, that'd be on your opinion since you personally didn't find the charm at first like I and others did.

i like the character dynamics, settings, stories, references, etc. You don't like the characters, maybe not the other stuff either, I dunno. I was just explaining why the characters come off the way they are.

And yes and no, the series synopsis says the characters are mid 20 somethings that are trying to get into their new roles in life, like having a job, a place to live, responsibilities, etc, while also dealing with the temptations of relaxing. Through the series they start working more, never in a big huge change, but they develop at a pace.

I think before they went to space they started being slightly better at it, but CN wanted it to stay the same in each season and keep the show at its core. Benson was originally going to be friends with them more, or at least on good terms, but CN kept saying it needed to be subtle enough for him to remain the angry boss.

Off the top of my head I remember twice when they attempted getting them on the same page, an episode where they were in a car together and Benson says he doesn't hate them, and just wants them to be better at their jobs and that it's his job to see it happen. Then again when benson and rigby were stuck in a room together and Benson said he had dad issues and Rigby said something like "people expect me to be a clown, so i am", and they understood each other and became basically friends.

So it's a series where the characters grow up and mature but the status quo keeps them at the same maturity level as when they started? That sucks.

The off model pics are kinda funny

>ending line wasn't "Jolly Regular Show indeed"
-1/10 ending

Nice one, forgot about the whole "One Cheek Wonder" bit

I call that the "Friends effect". The earliest seasons of a good show are often the most interesting / best, because the actors are still settling into and exploring their roles, and the writers both have a lot of plot space to work with and haven't quite nailed the characters into their niches.

By the end of a series, the actors have been playing those characters for 5-10 years and the writers have almost run out of ideas and have long since figured out the show's "formula".

Most likely all of them. That or the anime battle with the geese