>I know exactly what you mean.

>No Nine in this update
>somber euology for a lightbulb
Shit's getting depressing

Other urls found in this thread:

lesswrong.com/lw/xy/the_fun_theory_sequence/
lesswrong.com/lw/8zs/just_another_day_in_utopia/
twitter.com/KatSmilodon/status/883794896032854016
play.spotify.com/user/jonbois/playlist/7JQ7t1EUGIKChdnBvAYkqp?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open
youtube.com/watch?v=F4A-IJp3x88
youtube.com/watch?v=liTD7ZZZwz4
sbnation.com/a/17776-football/homer-nebraska
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This thing, man. Holy shit. I came for weird football and didn't expect feels.

Anyone else find the part where Eddie breaks the fourth wall kinda weird? This update was otherwise pretty perfect, but that one part was a little odd.

It was odd, but man. There isn't a part of this story that isn't odd. It fit in pretty well, I thought, considering this is a comic about millenia long games of football played by immortals with no sense of scale.

>>No Nine in this update
Nine is a needy cunt, we need more Juice and more of those guys who were casting the game from their car.

is this War Thunder on low settings?

does this really count as Sup Forums

like does it do the bare minimum to be a "comic" if it's a chatlog and some pictures of the Earth

I'd call it a webcomic. It's kinda like homestuck except it doesn't blow ass and faggots posted a lot of that shit back in the day so this should be okay.

My takeaway was that it was a jab about ridiculous 'don't try this at home kids' type messages. But god knows

i think it came from an honest concern from the author, it wouldnt be the first time someone does something stupid because of the internet

but i fear he just provoqued the idiots in the crowd to actually go and do it anyway

I knew humans knew about the satellites, I just didn't know that they could detect when they're being watched. Guess they don't really care at this point, since no one ever stopped their conversation when Juice or 9 tuned in.

I guess he was worried someone would attempt to visit the place so he made it to fit as part of the narrative

Webcomics are a medium of their own. Many old webcomics had gifs and moving parts, others sound. Then came Homestuck and took the medium to the limit by adding lots of different features, even playing with the website hosting the webcomic itself. 17776 draws from that.

I am tempted to cosplay Juice.

>17776 draws from that.
So, do we know yet if Jon Bois has read MSPA?

I kinda find it hard to believe that he hasn't. The feel is so close to Homestuck itself that honestly if the story stopped right now and, inexplicably, impossibly turned into Homestuck 2 on the fucking spot I would still totally believe it.

>I kinda find it hard to believe that he hasn't.
True enough. Has anyone actually asked him on Twitter?

He wasn't talking to the satellites, the guy explicitly says he's breaking the 4th wall. Canonically people can tune in to the satellites' conversations but we don't know if they can detect when they're being watched.

Why didn't humans built probes that harvested material to built more probes?

>Thu-Huong Ha described 17776 as "part Italo Calvino, part Peter Heller, with humor seemingly from within the depths of Reddit," saying that the story would appeal to both sport fans and literary fans alike.[1]
>Ian Crouch of The New Yorker described the series as, "despite its seemingly meagre parts, a thing of startling beauty". ... He also noted that the series was compared to Homestuck and relayed additional comparisons to Thomas Pynchon novels and "a Reddit thread hijacked by robot trolls".[6]
Ugh.

some of those comparisons seem okay, some seem a bit sill, especially the reddit parts.

I'm loving this. And unlike say Welcome to Night Vale it won't get stale and lame.

If you are not going to reference HS and the associated forum culture, at least compare it to weird Twitter or something.

I dunno if it's really accurate to say it draws from Homestuck, Jon was doing similar multimedia stuff long before Homestuck began.

It's about as Sup Forums as Worm.

Nah, it is definitely more so than Worm, but it's still borderline Sup Forumsntent.

It's basically Homestuck if it was good and Homestuck was deemed appropriate for Sup Forums, so why not? I couldn't imagine what other board this could be discussed on

Otakon's coming up pretty fucking soon. Could I bullshit a Nine cosplay on relatively short notice?

Sup Forums

Sure, just get an oatmeal can, some old radio antennas and red spray paint and youre good

Either there have been MASS cases of people just mentally cracking under the strain of "FOREVER" and they just haven't talked about it yet, or something about whatevers caused immortality also made people super mentally resistant to stress and strain

>Oddball Sci-fi comedy
Sports fans.

/lit/, but /lit/ sucks.

It's 15,000 years after whatever caused them to become immortal. They've had plenty of time to detox and decompress.

I haven't followed this in a few days but there's two things they've established that could address that:
1. It could simply be that "people don't get sick anymore" includes mental illness/unwellness.
2. I think it said the population of America is only like 8 Million people or so when today it's like 350 Million; maybe there were mass suicides at some point prior to the nanos existing.

Most people just play all the time. However I think we have outliers like Eddie who cope in weirder ways.

nah they corrected that, when they said that only 8 million people were around that was actually a typo, and Juice will probably give Ten shit about it later

It lends itself to a lot of good off shoots and fanfictions. The lore is so fucking good.

Honestly I would writefag but I suck at writing so eh

It was confirmed that Ten made a typo. There's 8 billion people on earth, not 8 million.

>tfw there are people out there right now thinking how to make the immortal post-scarcity future fun
lesswrong.com/lw/xy/the_fun_theory_sequence/

>tfw jon bois hates capitalism

I don't think it was a purely anti-capitalist confession, but more along the lines that capitalistic societies can eventually break down into organized chaos where everything is made up and the points don't matter.

It's been 15,000 years. Even if they did crack, they've had time to get used to it. It's not like they're going anywhere, you know. In a way, that makes it even more sad.

So, have they tried football?

Remember that last scene from pic related?

17776 is that but is a webcomic and less good.

>So, have they tried football?
No, but they discussed how the future superhumans (think nanos and enhanced bodies and minds) might integrate adventures with real stakes into their eternal lives. Somebody wrote a short story about what that may look like.
lesswrong.com/lw/8zs/just_another_day_in_utopia/

>lesswrong

Juice IRL

twitter.com/KatSmilodon/status/883794896032854016

> everything is Sup Forums if I refuse to post in the proper board enough

Congratulations, you're just as bad as worm and jojofags.

SEQUENTIAL ART

a n i m a t e d

v
i
d
e
o
s

Where would this go instead of Sup Forums?
Sup Forums?

So...uh....*is* Worm Sup Forums or not?

Worm isn't.

Got a soundtrack.
play.spotify.com/user/jonbois/playlist/7JQ7t1EUGIKChdnBvAYkqp?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

>shitify
No

It's not, but Sup Forums adopted it because /lit/ won't discuss it. It's a problem with the Sup Forums board system.

>It's kinda like homestuck except it doesn't blow ass

I started watching/reading this just earlier today. Holy fuck what an apt description. A transmedia web-novel-thing that doesn't utterly suck. Why weren't you here for me in 2013, 17776?

If the ending is shit I'm never reading anything again

someone rip it?

I liked that movie, it was the only "artsy" film I ever watched that didn't come off as pretentious

I think the best description is Homestuck without plot and not made for the "nerd" crowd.

If Hussie, or any other big webcomic writer, would have made this, humanity would be playing crazy VR video games all day, or ultra extreme LARPing. The sport theme is refreshing.

Look, I'm full ancap, but I can accept capitalism being unsuitable to a magical post-scarcity world where no one dies and no one is born.

Well, it ends tomorrow, so I doubt we will get a truly satisfying end.

It was weird, but I totally get it. People reading this would definitely try to find the cave. The writer was probably trying to cover their bases.

>literally wewuzzing the lightbulb

sensible chuckle

You remember the homestuck guys that jumped on only for the trolls and couldn't give a damn about the wider narrative or what was actually going on?

somehow, and I don't know how, 17776 has them too. people discussing the space probes without a clue as to what's actually going on. like sure, you don't even have to understand football to jump in and enjoy the thing, but it's such a small project and the probes are basically the pov FOR the whole 'story'. how do you get into this thing just for these stupid probes god damn.

also posting this Sup Forums OC from the other thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=F4A-IJp3x88

>The beetles that Eddie mentioned were Louisville Cave Beetles
>They're so critically endangered that Eleven Jones Cave is their only habitat and decades pass between sightings
>Some people want to protect the cave since further development could spell the extinction of a species
>But nobody really cares
>Because they're just 0.25 inch beetles
hit me harder than the actual update

I'm glad this is a short project.

Can you imagine how cancerous the Fandom for this would be?

he's interacted with cohen a couple of times from what I've seen but I think that's just because he has a large twitter following and mentioned 17776

Not like it even could last very long in the first place. I imagine you'd run out of things to say about the subject matter fairly quickly. Somewhat ironic given that it's a story about immortality. Or maybe that's the point.

someone irl is definitely gonna' go to that cave. if anything it's provided the opposite effect intended. a lot of place names and stuff have been mentioned so far, and I've googled each and every name/location to verify them. if every one of them was tacked with 'don't go here' or 'don't bother these people' in a 4th wall break, it would just make me think they're part of the meta-narrative.

this is gonna' be like an unintentional gravity falls-esque ARG, I can feel it.

I think with the nano-machines around, a grey goo scenario is probably the biggest fear of humanity.

Watch The City of Lost Children.

I googled 17776 yesterday and found the TVTropes page about it. The said page prominently mentioned readers skipping the football. I am not a footballfag, and yet I'm, honestly, baffled. Is this an age thing? Does a substantial par portion of the younger generation just enjoy fiction in a different bizarro way inaccessible to us?

Did you realize the Bee, Nebraska architect was real?

Its stupid

I am the most non-football person I know, and even I read the football stuff, its important context for the other stuff! Even if I only sort of get it I still read it.

There has to be a word or phrase for this, where instead of just reading it anyway, plowing through it or just skimming you just outright go "NAH FUCK THAT SHIT", selective reading or something

17776 is about as much about football as LOST is about the Island. even reading the wiki excerpt makes it sound interesting.

>the space probes watch multiple football games occurring across the United States, including: a game using the entirety of Nebraska as a field in which the next point scored wins the game, a game in which players strive to possess every existing football signed by Koy Detmer, a game played between the Canadian border and the Mexican border deadlocked for 13,000 years at the bottom of a gorge in Arizona, a standard game between the Denver Broncos and the Pittsburgh Steelers that changed over 15,000 years into 58 playing teams owning portions of the field and a lost ball, a 500 game that results in the destruction of the Centennial Light, and a game in which the possessing player is attempting to score an automatic win by hiding in his team's end zone for 10,000 years.

not wanting to strawman anybody, but if people read this kind of stuff while ignoring the bulk of the content just so they can fawn over some (let's face it) pretty inconsequential one dimensional characters, then count me confused.

>The City of Lost Children
my comrade of african-american descent.

wait, it does? damn. i was starting to get attached.
oh well. maybe it's better this way.

I think those guys (kids?) might simply be MOPs.

I'm not American and I don't know any of the football terms, but that's still the most interesting part of the story.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat and I'd sure play a video game version of some of these "football" games.

When I was a kid I would skip chapters if there was a pov switch and I didn't like the characters. So I'm guessing they're kids

>Go Browns

Goddammit, now you have to go back to being about football.

>Not liking the lore

I love the lore, I just thought once they'd go back to football it'd be a little lighter.

But man, that shit didn't happen.

I can already see people pranking 10 cosplayers by drawing dicks on their face at parties.

youtube.com/watch?v=liTD7ZZZwz4

I know the artist is taking the gender-neutral thing to heart here, but I can't help but see them all as girls, and as such I can't help but see them as daughters I'll never be able to care for, and that makes me sad.

pretty sure it's a modified google earth, but maybe an older version.

IMO one important distinction for things that are 'read' vs watched is that reading is 100% at your own pace. this is a graphic+text production using 3D graphics, free online. it's a webcomic.

>''story continues tomorrow''
>not ''story concludes tomorrow''

one job

Well 9 and juice are dudes so better get over it

sbnation.com/a/17776-football/homer-nebraska

>Ten: "Nine's a little bit ... Nine's new. Just woke up a couple days ago. She hasn't talked to anyone but Juice and I. Not so good at the small talk yet."

Nothing ever ends, Adrian.

To me they look androgynous, but all more on the girl side to about the same extent. Which is too bad, since it doesn't reflect that Juice uses the masculine pronoun. I'd make Ten look more like a girl, Juice like a boy and leave Nine completely ambiguous.
>Nine
>dude

oh fucking come on, I hadn't even read that page yet and I was sure 9 was called he at some point

Then what are you doing in this thread? Catch up then come back.
>into the trash.png
You are really in no position to post this.

I couldn't find the other version I had saved. Oh look here it is

Weird, I can't help but see most of them as guys.

I love it when 10 throws little tantrums.
>"Sometimes i wonder if you're really a scientific instrument"
>"I'm a failure as a big sister"

The moment the update came out idiot teenagers in my discord channel were talking about checking the cave out because it was totally some kind of ARG and that's why he told people not to go there.

He shouldn't have done it, because people are stupid.

>ARG discussion in a Discord channel
Are you in the same ARG Discord channel that I'm in? I'm in one that primarily discusses Camdrome.

Nope, unrelated homestuck discord

>ARG Discord channel
That's a thing? Where do people discuss ARGs nowadays, anyway?