Self-Inserts

Has a comic ever benefited from its creator(s) self-inserting? I am not sure even Animal Man did, and it is by far the best example

>thinking "benefit" was the point of Grant in Animal Man

so you didn't get it

>so you didn't get it
Ah yes, the standard defense against criticism of bald drug man

Are you saying he hurt the quality of his work on purpose?

Starman is self insert wankery.

Starman is good though

>Has a comic ever benefited from its creator(s) self-inserting?
When is a small cameo I'm ok with that, something like Jack Kirby in the fantastic four, or he and Lee in the Xmen, other than that no

Err...

it still hurts

>Dave
>Dirk
>Caliborn
>Huss

WHICH FUCKING ONE?

When did Kirby insert in ff?
I remember him being god in one of the issues but He didn't write it

The landlord dude?

What is that?

I mean, it didn't take long for Ambush Bug to go from boring villain to "Keith Giffen in a bodysuit".

And since he didn't start out that way or get that way until his 4th-ish appearance, I say he counts.

He literally says on the page that it was fruitless

That's hardly the same thing.

Where did he go I miss him

i like to think that grant morrison jumped the shark in order to give buddy back his family, his home, and his whole life, even when he said that making all the past events "a dream" was a really lame thing to do as a writer. still, he didn't give a shit and actually did it.

Fantastic Four Annual #3 (1965)

Channel 52 News

It sounds to me like it was a self-promotion stunt that just roughly aligned with earlier themes from the series - by that point it added nothing of true value.

Homestuck, I'd guess - the color match the author self-insert, and while I didn't read that far, earlier stunts in the story make it easier to imagine him self-inserting like that between panels or something.

>Hussie
>Self-inserting between panels.
Oh, God. You haven't even gotten past Act 4, have you?

Self-inserts only work if they're making fun of self-inserts.

Or if there's at least some meta joke/plot point attached to it and it doesn't suck.