Non-Cape Comic Books

What are the best comics ongoing right now that are not Marvel and DC or superhero related? I've been a bit bored from DC Rebirth and want to expand my comic horizons. I'm enjoying pic related currently

I know people give BKV shit but I've enjoyed Paper Girls so far. If you like Stranger Things you'll get a kick out of it, it has a similar premise

Really loving Spencer and Locke more each episode.

Grass Kings is great, as is Godshaper if a bit light on worldbuilding. Rock Candy Mountain is just such a fun read with loads of history in it, but the overtly digital art stops it from being truly great.

Extremity is probably my favourite ongoing at the moment. It's this brutal semi-Shakespearean tale of a simple clan at war with an invading advanced force trying to use their own weapons against them and grappling with violence as a means to the right ends.

>Spencer and Locke is ending

Feels bad man

Manifest Destiny is still pretty cool. The John Wick comic is finally coming out in September. That might be cool. There's a Bettie Page series starting next week that looks potentially amazing.

World Reader has been fun

2000AD in general. The current run of series is fantastic, with a new writer on Dredd who did a couple of really good short ones, Colin MacNeil drawing his heart out on Defoe, some decent Rogue Trooper action including the return of Venus Bluegenes, Grey Area's back to its original episodic structure which I love, and Brink kicked shit into super high gear the last few weeks and it's been great.
Other than that, I'm digging Godshaper, Black Magick just came back and it's cool, so did Copperhead, Manifest Destiny is still awesome and God Country just finished and was good.

I've seen some of Extremity's art on twitter and it looks fucking spectacular. Plot sounds quite interesting too. Gonna have to check it out!

What? When? Is it only six issues?

Saucer Country was a nice little UFO series out of Vertigo a few years ago. It got cancelled at issue #14, a little before it had time to wrap up.

This yeah, the writer and artist combination have managed to continue it over at IDW under the name Saucer State. Same characters, and at least six more issues (with a second set of six planned after)

Was it planned to only run 4 issues?

Hey Judge, unrelated to OP, but have you read Button Man? I assume that you have because you seem to be the 2000AD user around here.
Can you recommend anything with a similar tone or artstyle? Someone else told me to track down the artists other work (Anderson and Mazeworld) but admit I have not yet.
Thanks in advance.

Check Fantagraphics, avoid Imageshit.

What's wrong with Image?

user, you just made my day. Fucking loved Saucer Country as it was going, stoked to hear its actually continuing after 4 years.

Really wish it was getting more hype. The protagonist is a girl who was "soothsayed" to be a artist of her tribe. When they were invaded, her mother was killed and her right hand cut off as punishment for rebellion. Her younger brother was supposed to succeed their father as the warrior leader but he turned pacifist after the first battle and she stepped up to exact revenge.

90% of their output is netflix-bait.
They have some good stuff like I Hate Fairyland, but the rest is derivative trash that starts strong but becomes shit after two trades.

Fuck yeah I've read Button Man, and it's fantastic. If you're looking for that kind of artstyle, I'd definitely recommend Mazeworld and Ranson's run on Anderson: Psi Division. He's easily one of the best artists the character's ever had.
In that kind of tone, Wagner's A History of Violence might be worth checking out. And if you haven't read it yet, Road to Perdition by Collins and Rayner has a lot of similar hard-boiled action with a strong character core.

Alright, I'm definitely looking it up now then. Thanks!

Getting to popular and political for some fags on here.

>big rock candy mountain
Does any one else hear Paul F Tompkins voice when they read The Devil's lines?

Spencer & Locke is twisted and so great.

we've been discussing it a bit over here btw:

Really loving Black Hammer, although unsure whether it counts as cape book or not given it has a bunch of thinly-vieled DC character analogs

Motor Girl has been fantastic so far.

Well I do now. This comic would make a great mini series a la Over the Garden Wall with some great period music.

Alright, thanks for the heads up!

I was actually reminded to make this thread because of that

Child

what a baka.

Why? I only read comics for grown ups (aka Fantagraphics and small press garbage).
Go back to your shitty sci-fi, manchild.

Thanks man, I will definitely look in to Road to Perdition and Ranson's other stuff.
Book Four kind of sucked, mostly because book three wrapped up so well

Bunch of Megg and mog stoner trash.

>i only know about megg and mogg
Fuck off babby, even shit like megg and mogg is superior to image trash for redditors.

Far as im concerned the both of you pretentious queers can fuck right off. Allot of good shit comes from both those publishers and im happy to live in a time where they can exist as an alternative to DC and Marvel.

Orc Stain beats all

I love Orc Stain, but it's fucking dead.
Also stuff like Dungeon Quest is superior to literally everything on Image atm.

Honestly looks like something I'd enjoy, thanks for the recommendation.

It's like asking what's wrong with Marvel and DC.

No problem mate, Dungeon Quest is fucking awesome.

Anyone know how many issues the John Wick comic is going to be?

Repetitive, lowest common denominator stories with the occasional good series?

>non-cape comics
But what's the point of reading non-superhero comics?

Stray Bullets remains among my favorite ongoing.

Yeah

Only four issues. My prediction for the finale:
-The girl is his daughter
-Bald guy is his dad

Nice bait

Rock Candy Mountain

Blacksad is always a good read