Moral Orel

Just binged it. Jeez Louise that third season was brutal. The end was a fucking miracle.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/54203934
youtube.com/watch?v=30R3C3FFRE8
moralorel.wikia.com/wiki/Raped[\spoiler]
moralorel.wikia.com/wiki/Raped
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Never watched Moral Orel.
What is it about the third season that gets everyone talking?

After the season 2 finale showmakers were told by executives to go darker and darker.

Then they showed them a screening of "alone" and they decided to scrap the rest of the 3rd season and wrapped it up with the asspull but happy ending.

This Basically the show was way too ahead of its time. If it was made in say 2014 when Rick and Morty and Bojack was on (Rick and Morty was made by the same studio as Moral Orel) then it would of had a better chance on the channel.

Seasons 1 and 2 are based on a simple formulaic premise: A naive Christian fundementalist takes all advice from his pastor and father literally.

Season 3 moved away from Orel (the boy) and instead focused on all the side characters in town, adding depth to them and weaving relationships between them. An explanation is given to essentially everything Orel's father, Clay, has ever done and the series ends on a fascinating note.

In a single season, the show went from a critique of FOX News watchers to dark observations of the American nuclear family.

When you think about it Moral Orel is basically the antithesis of those shows. Especially Rick and Morty.

How is it the antithesis?

It's about hope even in darkness, where R&M and Horseman are about the darkness in beauty.

who`s you favorite character, and why is it reverend putty?

Cynicism vs optimism. Rick and Morty/Bojack Horseman wallow in cynicism and nihilism. Their protagonists are bitter, shallow assholes who hate everybody and think everyone who isn't as cynical as they are is an idiot or a phony. Moral Orel is about a boys unyielding optimism in world full of shitty, fake people. Orel is happy and hopeful, even when he is at his lowest he never gives in to cynism, an he is always looking for the good in everyone and everything even when there is no good to find. And the show never shames him for his faith, Bojack and RaM treat the religous types like idiots. I could go on but my point is that despite all 3 shows baiscally being dark absurd comedies, Moral Orel is ultimately about faith, hope and trying to find the good in others and in ourselves. Bojack and RaM is about nihilism depression and how shitty people are and how everyone will let you down, including yourself.

aside from his daughter and orel himself, he was probably one of the only decent people in the town

Orel's gay gym teacher also turned out to be a pretty decent guy in the end.

stopwatch turned out alright yeah, but he did try to take orel to a satanist cult

I liked the show because of this, and how it actually made some pretty decent criticism of American Protestantism. It showed that religious people can be, and often are, dumb pricks who go out of their way to make other people unhappy using their faith to justify it. However, it also showed a positive side to religious people in Orel. He doesn't judge others by their appearance, he doesn't judge people for not believing in the same things, and he's perfectly willing to take a leaf from another religion's book when it comes to theories and methods of spirituality. Most of the characters like, Reverend Putty and Miss Censordoll, are examples of what you don't want to become as a Christian, but Orel is a perfect example of what a Christian should be.

>t. WASP who grew up in a family that's basically a less fucked-up version of Orel's and ended up becoming an agnostic

The show makes fun of Christianity but ironically Orels faith is what saves him

Season 3 added a few more.
The nurse and (arguably) doughy come to mind.

I think the point of the show was that everyone has the capacity to be good. Putty started out pretty bad. Hell he could be considered the worst considering he was the one that directed the town to act in such shitty ways. The main difference between him and Clay is Putty took Orels advice to heart and decided to be happy with what he had instead of what he wanted. Clays narcissism will never let him be happy. Most of the people in the town aren't bad, just misguided.

I know the dad is a shitty person and doesn't deserve happiness but I kinda wish the gay guy said yes anyway

I always felt that it showed that even if you come from a shitty family, it doesn't mean that you will become a shitty person.

OP you are not done with this show just yet: vimeo.com/54203934

I don't think irony is the correct word here.
Tragically? Thankfully? It's something.

>that ending
>that fucking ending

Clay is probably the only character truly beyond any form of redemption.

Lousy dead end job...

It doesn't make fun of Christianity. It makes fun of people that twist Christianity to suit their own ends. Throughout the show God was always seen as a good thing pushed off to the side to justify the towns own immorality.

Censordoll is probably a more morally reprehensible person than Clay. And I don't really think Clay was beyond redemption. He just needs to actually fucking try to be redeemed. The tragedy of Clay is he had a lot of roads to redemption laid out before him and he took a hard left into the ditch every time. He's very aware of a lot of what makes him a shitty person. He's very well aware that he is a shitty person. He just needs to make an effort to not be a shitty person. Unfortunately everything that makes him a shitty person directly prevents him from doing that.

You and me both pal. Gonna watch the special soon.

>He's very aware of a lot of what makes him a shitty person. He's very well aware that he is a shitty person. He just needs to make an effort to not be a shitty person. Unfortunately everything that makes him a shitty person directly prevents him from doing that.
>Tfw this describes you to a T
At least I didn't traumatize my kid. At least I don't have kids to traumatize.

If we consider Clay's life, it all went downhill when he started drinking. Before that it was tolerably bad, but not that bad.

your forgetting the episode about Doughy
youtube.com/watch?v=30R3C3FFRE8

What about the Italians and the Jews for Jesus? I thought they were OK.

It's also worth pointing out that these flawed and fundamentally poor people, like Reverend Putty, are themselves given depth and an angle from which the viewer can at least understand them, if not outright empathize with them.

It doesn't say people are bad because they're bad, it says they're bad because of things that happened in their lives, what people did to them and taught them, and their own inability to grow and move past their own traumas.

Did you watch Beforel Orel?

What I love best is that it was his wife that turned him into that man and made her jaded as well
All because she herself wanted to stand out in her family

Moments where you audibly went "oh, shit"?

>that part in Nature: Part 2 where Clay drinks the rubbing alcohol instead of giving it to his son

I was hoping for a Clay-redemption, especially near the end he sort of came to his senses. It would've been cathartic.. and while I dont think Stopframe should've went the romantic route perhaps (maybe just a friendship) it kind of ended on a sour note that he was forever doomed.

Clay was really the most layered character, he was a complete douchebag but I kind of sympathized with him at points.

Do you think Clay/Stopframe were actually fucking or just making out?

I think Numb was really a striking episode for me, it showed it could've been a really nice serious adult drama with some jokes here and there. Honestly I feel the dramatic parts were Moral Orel's strengths, not the comedy.

I AM DROWNING

THERE IS NO SIGN OF LAND

The show is...

Imagine if 'Family Guy' wasn't played for laughs.

Not Christianity, hypocrisy.

Those things are not synonymous. ...Really.

YOU'RE COMING DOWN WITH ME

HAND IN UNLOVABLE HAND

That doesn't erase the fact that he got his boy toy's wife pregnant because he didn't think he was getting enough poon.

Pretty much everything in Alone. Deeply disturbing stuff.

>Do you think Clay/Stopframe were actually fucking or just making out?

I'm pretty sure Clay was just leading him on without putting out in any way.
He was basically a narcissistic attention whore.

Clay is explicitly a sexual deviant. He'd chase whatever gave him the thrill he wanted.

I HOPE YOU DIE

"NOT YOU, TOO!!"

Satanists can be pretty cool people.

I love this show, and Frankenhole.

I think the great thing about the show is how no character is ever completely hate-able ( with the exception of some minor characters like Mr. Creepler, the serial rapist pedophile)

Even Clay, who is the most egregious of characters, has moments where you feel sympathy for him. The most heartwrenching part being at the end of the series when he finally admits his feelings to Coach Stopframe in an impassioned plea for his love, only for Stopframe to reject him because by now, he has seen Clay for the selfish egotist that he is.

And despite all the unforgivable things Clay has done, you still feel a little sorry for him in that moment

They haven't even kissed once in the show and they had a lot of opportunities.
It's just that Clay rather have a drinking buddy and an orbiter than an actual lover.

That's a terribly obtuse description.

Imagine watching a steadfast optimistic innocent boy be let down over and over again by everyone he loves, until after a parade of injustices, he realizes that he is cared for about as much as a goldfish, and begins to teeter on the edge of cold unfeeling cynicism.

Meanwhile other characters self destruct in the cold world that surrounds them.

No, as in, that's word from the creator himself. Clay is a sexual deviant. He gets off on perversion itself, and it's why he goes from watching Bloberta be cold and distant with another family to a long flirtation with Coach Stopframe to nearly orgasming at the thought of chickens laying eggs and their association with his own mother to making out with Censordoll.

He was using Stopframe, and being denied the gratification he sought from it drove him to whine and weep like the child he is inside.

I like Moral Orel for being a great cartoon, but I'll always love it for getting me into the Mountain Goats. I'm never seen such an impeccable discography.

For as twisted as the series got, I was pleasantly surprised that it never took shots at Christianity in general, as in "all Christians are dumb and selfish". These individual people were dumb and selfish and they would have been no matter what.

You might not get that just from watching an [as] trailer, it might look like it was making fun of religion, but it's really not. It's making fun of looneys.

Its a rainy day so I guess ill finally watch this. Thanks OP?

>why did YOU marry Dad?
>oh... well....... Why not?

You are coming down with me, hand in unloveable hand.

I don't really think of it as making fun of loonies, I think of it as lampooning people who would use faith as a justification and an excuse for their terrible behavior rather than as a tool to become better people. Faith can be and is immensely rewarding, immensely powerful, and immensely fulfilling, and it contrasts Orel who has it vs. everyone else who tends to just pay lip service to it for the sake of absolving themselves of guilt and responsibility for their actions.

Despite the shots it takes, I and the religious friends I know view it as one of the truly good christian shows out there, because instead of being a smug affair that jerks itself off while looking down on those who don't share the faith, it depicts it as a personal relationship with God which can uplift and empower, and how often it's real lessons and power can be ignored and misused by people who don't want to try and live up to their potential.

I HATE YOU JESUS

YOU ROTTEN LITTLE FINK

pls no moral orel tumblr fandom

Watched this two weeks ago in the middle of a depression relapse and it just made it worse. Great show though. Too bad Dino doesn't seem interested in making more of it.

>tfw realizing I'm Clay without the alcoholism.

Feels bad man. But at least makes me want to try and change. Now I just hope I can, going back to therapy next week.

Clay was a fucked up individual whose lack of attention from his father in childhood made him a poisonous influence.

Are you?

Just found out about this recently
moralorel.wikia.com/wiki/Raped[\spoiler]

Fuck, my bad
moralorel.wikia.com/wiki/Raped

I'm selfish as fuck and get down the people around me while also ignoring that my actions have consequences for everyone involved.

Also had an older sibling that died due to sickness before I was born and thus I was sheltered as fuck as a child since my health was bad, but also neglected and abused because my parents where angry and depressed about losing their first born, they still are.

Damn, that's pretty similar actually. Good thing you didn't kill your mom.

That is pretty close to Clay. At least you know you have a problem.