June 2017 Comic Book Sales Report - Top 10's

TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS
> 1. PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #1 (MAR)
> 2. DARK DAYS: THE FORGE #1 (DC)
> 3. STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #1 (MAR)
> 4. BATMAN #24 (DC)
> 5. DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE #9 (DC)
> 6. BATMAN #25 (DC)
> 7. EDGE OF VENOMVERSE #1 (MAR)
> 8. SECRET EMPIRE #4 (MAR)
> 9. SECRET EMPIRE #5 (MAR)
> 10. THE WALKING DEAD #168 (MR) (IMA)

TOP 10 GRAPHIC NOVELS & TRADE PAPERBACKS
> 1. THE WICKED & THE DIVINE VOL. 5: IMPERIAL PHASE I TP (IMA)
> 2. DC SUPER HERO GIRLS VOL. 3: SUMMER OLYMPUS TP (DC)
> 3. MOTOR CRUSH VOLUME 1 TP (IMA)
> 4. DESCENDER VOLUME 4: ORBITAL MECHANICS TP (IMA)
> 5. SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL VOLUME 2: SIDE PIECES TP (MAR)
> 6. TEEN TITANS VOL. 1: DAMIAN KNOWS BEST TP (DC)
> 7. HARLEY QUINN VOL. 2: THE JOKER LOVES HARLEY TP (DC)
> 8. STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA VOLUME 1: APHRA TP (MAR)
> 9. A.D.: AFTER DEATH HC (IMA)
> 10. NIGHTWING VOL. 2: BACK TO BLUDHAVEN TP (DC)

>Among the premier publishers, Neil Gaiman's American Gods: Shadows #4 was Dark Horse Comics' top book for the month at #98, and IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #80 was their top book for June at #173.

TOP COMIC BOOK PUBLISHERS
>>RETAIL MARKET SHARE
> 1. MARVEL COMICS - 38.54%
> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT - 30.61%
> 3. IMAGE COMICS - 8.86%
> 4. IDW PUBLISHING - 4.24%
> 5. DARK HORSE COMICS - 3.46%
> 6. BOOM! STUDIOS - 1.83%
> 7. DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT - 1.79%
> 8. TITAN COMICS - 1.02%
> 9. VIZ MEDIA - 1.01%
> 10. ONI PRESS INC. - 0.79%
> OTHER NON-TOP 10 - 7.84%

>>UNIT MARKET SHARE
> 1. MARVEL COMICS - 42.82%
> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT - 31.76%
> 3. IMAGE COMICS - 9.00%
> 4. IDW PUBLISHING - 3.18%
> 5. DARK HORSE COMICS - 2.47%
> 6. DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT - 2.07%
> 7. BOOM! STUDIOS - 1.61%
> 8. VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT LLC - 0.82%
> 9. TITAN COMICS - 0.76%
> 10. AFTERSHOCK COMICS - 0.74%
> OTHER NON-TOP 10 - 4.76%

Sauce: diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=105050

Other urls found in this thread:

icv2.com/articles/news/view/37955/june-2017-bookscan-top-20-adult-graphic-novels
archive.is/hbM8q
twitter.com/flycojoe/status/885311258894884864
hellosubscription.com/2017/06/marvel-collector-corps-june-2017-full-spoilers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BookScan Top 20 Graphic Novels in June 2017
> 1. TOKYO GHOUL VOL. 13 by SUI ISHIDA (VIZ MEDIA)
> 2. EVERYONE'S A ALIEBN WHEN UR A ALIEBN TOO: A BOOK HC by JOMNY SUN (HARPER PERENNIAL)
> 3. MARCH: BOOK ONE by JOHN LEWIS (TOP SHELF PRODUCTIONS)
> 4. WONDER WOMAN VOL. 1 (REBIRTH) by GREG RUCKA (DC COMICS)
> 5. SAGA VOL. 7 by BRIAN K. VAUGHAN (IMAGE COMICS)
> 6. TOKYO GHOUL VOL. 1 by SUI ISHIDA (VIZ MEDIA)
> 7. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 1 by KOHEI HORIKOSHI (VIZ MEDIA)
> 8. WONDER WOMAN VOL. 2 (REBIRTH) by GREG RUCKA (DC COMICS)
> 9. DRAGON BALL SUPER VOL. 1 by AKIRA TORIYAMA (VIZ MEDIA)
> 10. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 8 by KOHEI HORIKOSHI (VIZ MEDIA)
> 11. MY LESBIAN EXPERIENCE WITH LONELINESS by KABI NAGATA (SEAVEN SEAS)
> 12. VALERIAN: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL. 1 HC by PIERRE CHRISTIN (CINEBOOK LTD)
> 13. BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE DLX. ED. HC by ALAN MOORE (DC COMICS)
> 14. BORUTO VOL. 1 by UKYO KODACHI (VIZ MEDIA)
> 15. ONE-PUNCH MAN VOL. 1 by ONE (VIZ MEDIA)
> 16. TOKYO GHOUL VOL. 2 by SUI ISHIDA (VIZ MEDIA)
> 17. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 2 by KOHEI HORIKOSHI (VIZ MEDIA)
> 18. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS VOL. 1 by AKIRA HIMEKAWA (VIZ MEDIA)
> 19. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LEGENDARY EDITION VOL. 4 by AKIRA HIMEKAWA (VIZ MEDIA)
> 20. BITCH PLANET VOL. 2 by KELLY SUE DECONNICK (IMAGE COMICS)

Sauce: icv2.com/articles/news/view/37955/june-2017-bookscan-top-20-adult-graphic-novels

>Marvel releasing EVEN MORE #1s
This is only going to hurt them in the long run

It's another "Rich Johnston's predictions come true" episode:
>I get the nod that Marvel Comics’ Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #1 by Chip Zdarsky, Adam Kubert and Jordie Bellaire was June’s most-ordered comic book by North American direct market comic book shops.

>It may have been helped by having extra retailer discounts added if retailers upped those orders, as well as a number of variant cover, party promotions, exclusive retailer variant covers and being included in that month’s Marvel Collector Corps subscription box.

archive.is/hbM8q

>>>RETAIL MARKET SHARE
>> 1. MARVEL COMICS - 38.54%
>> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT - 30.61%>>UNIT MARKET SHARE
>> 1. MARVEL COMICS - 42.82%
>> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT - 31.76%
seriously DC just stop

they are about to start releasing things with the legacy numbering. Prepare for 600+ issue numbers.

>RETAIL MARKET SHARE
> 3. IMAGE COMICS - 8.86%
>Soon it will be the big 3!

>Batman still holding 2 spots in the top 10

So this has happened every month since King has been on the book. With the back issues selling so well month after month has it officially sold more than Snyder's?

Please, Marvel, stop releasing new #1s and flooding the market with overshipped titles.

> Edge of Venomverse #1

The X-23 fans really came out in droves.

you are fake news

>It may have been helped by having extra retailer discounts added if retailers upped those orders, as well as a number of variant cover, party promotions, exclusive retailer variant covers and being included in that month’s Marvel Collector Corps subscription box.
Christ, look at all these gimmicks to boost numbers. It was even stuffed in the subscription box?

> 8. SECRET EMPIRE #4 (MAR)
> 9. SECRET EMPIRE #5 (MAR)
This is getting beaten by a Spider-Man #1, DC's current event, a Star Wars #1, TWO regular issues of Batman, #9 of DKIII, and goddamn Edge of Venomverse of all fucking things. This event is DEAD.

> Event, #1 and Star Wars
kek another month and Marvel can't top10 with regular issues.

Whats that? Marvel once again screwing the numbers just to be in top10?

> Marvel as 20 more books
> Does not have any book 2.99 well it as actually some at 4,99$
> Be surprised by the Shares

why marvel drones can't do math?

What's the difference between retail and unit, please help

King's Batman releases bi-weekly.

DC just released a dozen one shot #1s, faggo

This is the worst bait

unit market sales are the actual numbers of issues

retail market sales are the dollar amounts.

>Marvel comics still can't get anything that isn't a number 1 on the top 10

DC is finished, right?

>DC still can't get anything that isn't Batman on the top 10

Not at the same rate, retard. With Marvel, its a relaunch every so months.

well comics were all they had left so yeah

>best selling comics are #1's, event, Batman, Walking dead and/or Star Wars
>Marvel has higher retail share
>Marvel has higher unit market share

Why are comics so predictable? Hasn't this been the exact same story for years now bar the occasional loot crate?

>marvel Secret Empire #4 and #5
Come on man. learn to bait and say they cant get anything that isnt an event or a number 1 in the top ten.

this user has it.

I wonder what the overship on Edge of the Venomverse #1 was. There was a post on reddit from an lcs complaining about getting a shit load of "free" copies, and no one on Sup Forums storytimed it on release

>and no one on Sup Forums storytimed it on release
If the retard that took screencaps from CMX itself without editing out the black borders and converting to JPG does not count.

Why don't you look at the last year faggot?

Thats a clear sign of over shipping from Marvel

Their comics cost 3.99 at he very least, it's impossible for them to have a bigger unit share than their dollar share.

I will try to explain with numbers:

(a) 42,28 issues sold from Marvel are around 170 dollars /price tag:4 $ dollars

(b) 31,76 issue sold for DC are around 95 dollars./price tag : 3 $ dollars

Therefore, Marvel should have almost the double of DC's share on dollars, but they are only 8% above them

Those are "Phantom copies" , something they have been doing for a while on the House of Ideas

That wasn't the question.

You know that people ordered that because they hoped for the debut of a character like Spider-Gwen.

Joe Field, first ComicsPRO president and owner of LCS Flying Colors, discussed what he ordered for this month, a few tips for retailers, and related SDCC hype:
>Warning! This THREAD relates to the business of #Comics. My other tweets about music, baseball & life will resume shortly.
>Prep throes are here for the hysteria that is Comic-Con in San Diego. Still I hope you can give this some attention!
>It’s about balancing your shipping schedules. As in they get way out of whack around SDCC & other big comics industry events.
>Looking at my invoices and comparing the 7/19 release date w/ the two previous weeks of 7/5 & 7/12, it shows...
>DC Comics invoiced amount for 7/19 is 24% higher than 7/12 and 57% (!) higher than 7/5.
>Image Comics invoiced about for 7/19 60% (!) higher than 7/12 & 13% lower than 7/5 (yay, I guess).
>Dark Horse Comics invoiced amount for 7/19 is +45% from 7/12 & +56% from 7/5. Yowch!
>Marvel Comics invoiced amount for 7/19 +36% from 7/12 & +21% from 7/5.
>It's like The Great Flood happens again every year the day SDCC opens.
>Please seek some solutions for better balancing your schedules--- not just for Comic-Con week, but all year-round.
>A chunk of our comics business runs on inertia & the herky jerkyness of your releases wreaks havoc on that steadiness we need.
>My invoice next week is DOUBLE the $ize of this week. Spread over the comics industry, that's asking for receivables' problems.
>Consistency may be the "hobgoblin of little minds" but it is a critical asset to being successful in any business.... esp comics.
>1 more thing: Many fans going to SDCC 2017 often put off visiting their regular comics shops....
>Tho no comics retailers are as annoying as Comic Book Guy (hopefully), we THANK YOU for supporting us every week! Best. Fans. Ever.
Sauce: twitter.com/flycojoe/status/885311258894884864

>SE beaten by fucking normal issues of Batman

lol

With how fast these Marvel numbers are tanking, it shouldn't be long.

No. I mean the Rebirth book has most definitely made more money in the same span of time than the New 52 book did at this point in it's lifespan, but it only has half the issues. Plus the New 52 book didn't ever dip below 100K and I'm fairly sure the Rebirth book already has. And if you want to go for profitability, barely any Rebirth issues have cost over $3 whereas the New 52 book had a ton of issues that cost more.

is literally ok when DC does it

Marvel is still number one unit and retail sales.

Tpbs is another dimension.

Who's buying The Wicked and The Divine, anyway? It struck me as being a Neil Gaimain derivative, dumbed down to the level of YA novels.

I'm stupid. is retail market share the same as revenue market share?

>MY LESBIAN EXPERIENCE WITH LONELINESS
Holy fucking shit, this got weirdly popular, didn't it?
But hey, I remember when Citrus became the highest selling romance book on Amazon

>4. WONDER WOMAN VOL. 1 (REBIRTH) by GREG RUCKA (DC COMICS)
>8. WONDER WOMAN VOL. 2 (REBIRTH) by GREG RUCKA (DC COMICS)
This is actually really big. Usually the cape stuff is always at the lower end of this list but I guess movie really helped boost these numbers up.

Retail is dollars, yes.

Gaiman himself is YA tier mate. Have you read any of his prose work?

killing joke still sells after all these years!

That comic was ugly as fuck. I can't believe he'd get this high without some Marvel fuckery.

No shit, but pulp is cheap and they have investors who are easily placated by their boosted numbers.

>people not buying marvel
>comicshop orders it anywaya and has foot high stacks on shelves

I guess we need some more comic shops to die for anything to change.

Batman carries DC again, and in other news water remains wet in its liquid state

I was talking to one of the owners of my LCS the other week. Turns out Marvel even overshipped their free previews. They got like 50 copies more than they ordered.

This is true because every time a comic gets included with MCC the sales gets an extra boost.

>Motor Crush
Legit surprised.

>Christ, look at all these gimmicks to boost numbers. It was even stuffed in the subscription box?

It was. You can see it here:

hellosubscription.com/2017/06/marvel-collector-corps-june-2017-full-spoilers/

Surely they cant be this short sighted? They have to realize numbers on paper don't actually earn them anything?

Do they even care? Marvel Comics is only being kept around as an "idea" cow for the movies. The costs of comics (in every single sense) are minuscule for the mouse.

It basically just placates the shareholders. The problem I think is that people are getting more aware of Marvel's actions since the last year or so, like with overshipping or the MCC box or limited variants or whatever.

>> 1. PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #1 (MAR)
>> 2. DARK DAYS: THE FORGE #1 (DC)

How will DC ever recover?

You joke, but the thing about Spectacular is that Marvel gave retailers a much larger discount. And usually when they give larger discounts it's a comic that also gets included in Funko's subscription box, which we see in What I'd like to know is where Venom and All-New Guardians of the Galaxy placed on this list because they were in the top 10 last month.

>> 1. MARVEL COMICS - 38.54%
>> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT - 30.61%

>> 1. MARVEL COMICS - 42.82%
>> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT - 31.76%

On one hand I hate that the literal devil is winning, on the other I'm glad rebirthtards are getting btfo.

there hasn't been any relaunch

No. The Batman book never dipped below 100k under King. Get your facts straight.

Yeah whatever Satan

Batman 18 98,100
Batman 19 97,501
Batman 23 96,542

How is winning when they give free copies?

They're not though?

That's a lot of dead trees for no reason. I mean those books are just going to shelfwarm forever.

This is why I have no sympathy for the retards running comic book shops. If you're going to order copies of books you keep complaining that you can't sell you deserve to go out of business.

I'm honestly impressed by Marvel. They release absolute shit in paper form, and still they outsell DC every time.

>I didn't read the thread: the posts

>it's a Marvel has to desperately cook the books to make it seem like everything is going great episode

>all the denial ITT

Jesus, it's like these anons just started reading comics (or rather, reading sales charts, Sup Forums doesn't read comics) and don't realize it always was, is, and will be a Marvel vs Batman war for dollars.

>14 #1's
>7 Secret War books
>11 Secret War tie-in books
>Star Wars
>being included in that month’s Marvel Collector Corps subscription box
>overships
>incentive variants
>discount ordering
>retailer exclusive variants
>shipping 15% more books
Literally the only way Marvel can even give the appearance of winning is to completely rig the game.

Batwoman was literally the last new #1 for an on-going DC has released and that was in March.

>batman #24
>Event prelude
>Selling more than secret empire
Marvel should honestly have a hard look in the mirror

Meanwhile, the first batch of Dark Matter books is delayed.

No they haven't been.